MPG??????

npggirl

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other item I noticed while watching the fuel ticker - Edge saves fuel when driving 100km or less and about 1500 rpms - thats when my ticker starts dropping.

It got to as low 11.9 on the highway - the creeps back up on the weekends when I drive city more.

Again we have to remember you are from up north where the numbers are backwards ;) 11.9L/km and more in the city, not 11.9mpg - that would be some stop and go or slow moving or 100mph+ highway driving to get that in mileage!

Filled up again. It was 15.3 MPG. This is all city driving. I have only hit 16MPG twice. I had one trip on the highway and had 22.1 MPG. I have owned my Edge since 12/30/06 and it doesn't look like I am going to get what the sticker states. I should have waited to see what the actual MPG was before buying. I won't make that mistake again. I didn't think I was getting a vehicle with outstanding MPG, just thought it would be better than it is.

I did a little testing the other day and found the following were the approximate straight line mileage (no stopping, acceleration, just cruising) all on fairly flat surfaces:

Speed Mileage

MPH MPG

20 23

25 25

30 28

35 30

40 31

45 32

50 31

55 29

60 27.5

65 26

70 25

75 23

80 20

So its pretty economical to cruise at 20mph rather than stop and start from 0-30/40mph to go with the traffic and stays fairly economical from 30 on up to between 60 and 70 after which it drops off again. The maximum occured just after the transmission hit 6th at 43mph, however you can then slack off a bit to 40mph and get 33mpg which is probably the most you can get on the flat. Obviously adding in acceleration/braking and such, basically not maintaining a solid speed on a highway drops you below that and terrain can also affect it quite a bit too. If you take off about 20-25% for general driving and probably over 30% if you are driving in hilly areas, then you are pretty much at the EPA numbers for 20 to 25mph in the city and around 50-60mph on the highway of 17-19 and 21-23, respectively - so it all kind of pans out eventually.

I got a little less this last tank at 18.1 with almost all city driving for almost 350 miles over the last month (i hadnt filled up for 4 weeks). We are planning on taking the Edge on a long road trip (FL-NY) in a while and i will wait to see what a real highway test does for this thing through hills and such.

My avr speed is about 40km/hr (36mph) - avr at 12.5 or 18.8 MPGs...

I hit too much rush hour traffic on the highways - keeps me from getting some time at higher speeds

I can't complain - its a heavy vehicle with tremendous power - I love how it feels on the highway - light as a feather - easy to handle - and you feel very safe.

I still say - the critics are nuts - the new owners generally love it - nice to see all the new owners arrive.

Yep 5w20 is the oil you are supposed to use

I figured that might be the case.... Thanks!

That's what is recommended in my 2001 Mustang. Just as a suggestion you might want to try a Synthetic

to see if MPG's improve. I run this stuff in my Mustang (http://www.pennzoil.com/products/motor_oil/platinum.html) and it shows a slight improvement in gas mileage but the vehicle does have over 90,000 miles on it. You may or may not see much of an improvement. You might want to check with the dealer first on using Synthetics. The engine in the Edge/MKX is new, and I know very little about it at this point. Synthetics, IMHO offer superior part wear, and the Pennzoil brand is reasonably priced and is carried at Walmart.

shouldn't you reset when you fill up?

Reset it whenever you feel like it, there isnt any hard and fast rule or actual reason to do it at a certain time period.

Recently i was resetting mine every few miles to get all those straight line MPG's for various speeds. I usually do it at each fill up to see how it compares to the manual calc, but it wouldnt kill either myself or the car to do it less or more often.

I figured that might be the case.... Thanks!

That's what is recommended in my 2001 Mustang. Just as a suggestion you might want to try a Synthetic

to see if MPG's improve. I run this stuff in my Mustang (http://www.pennzoil.com/products/motor_oil/platinum.html) and it shows a slight improvement in gas mileage but the vehicle does have over 90,000 miles on it. You may or may not see much of an improvement. You might want to check with the dealer first on using Synthetics. The engine in the Edge/MKX is new, and I know very little about it at this point. Synthetics, IMHO offer superior part wear, and the Pennzoil brand is reasonably priced and is carried at Walmart.

Ford's 5W20 (Motorcraft) is already a synthetic blend made especially to improve fuel mileage. A full synthetic isn't going to yield much more of an improvement.

Ford's 5W20 (Motorcraft) is already a synthetic blend made especially to improve fuel mileage. A full synthetic isn't going to yield much more of an improvement.

I would agree. I will have to compare the cost difference between Motorcraft & Pennzoil since I don't know the cost of the Motorcraft synthetic blend. IMHO, Mobil 1, Amsoil and other expensive synthetics won't yield a noticeable improvement over synthetic blends or the less expensive Pennzoil full synthetic.

oops.. thats right it is metric..

Converted 11.9 = almost 20mpgs - 12.6 = 19 mpgs..

I try to get more highway driving in during this "new" stage - to help improve..

Its not that far off my 2001 toyota - it was a 3.0 200hp.

I'll agree w/ you. I've had mine since January and this has to be the best vehicle I have ever driven. Well, the 2002 Mustang GT was more fun but beat the hell out of me. I do tons of city and I'm only seeing 16-18 MPG. I'm hoping that when I get another 1000 Miles on it it will start doing getting better MPG. The GMC/Pontiac dealer was offering me a loaded Envoy for about $70-$80 less a month. I love my edge but if I thought about it a little more I should of taken the Envoy based on only driving about 8,000-9,000 Mile Per Year. I would probably be ahead a 1/2 to 1 tank of gas per month. :)

My wife has a 2003 Jetta w/ a 1.8T which needs to be turned in at the end of summer. I wanted to keep it based on her being way under her millage. However, the sunroof was leaking and they had to clean it very good and replace the carpet (still stinks for a few seconds when you first get in) and was rear ended so I'm going give it back to them and find her something that has more room w/ decent gas millage (I'm hoping I can get her into a Freestyle or a Chrysler Minivan w/ stow and go seating but she hates minivans right now.).

I will be looking at HARD FACTS for gas millage and possibly drive that car during the week.

Wish me luck. We have another baby on the way so we need more room. The Edge may end up being the "MAIN" family vehicle and we might get something roomier than the Jetta but sportier w/ better gas millage than the Edge. Any suggestions? Last year they were offering me a G6 w/ a V6 (not the GT) for about $250 a month... Maybe they will be offering something similar.

Bill

Funny question - did you change gas supplier? This week I put a different type in - and hmm.. ticker moving up? Coincidence? I don't know.

The under 2000rpm thing - seeems to be true to me - really pay attention to your accelerations - esp in the city - A/C on? Did you reset your computer?

It also could be a puter malfunction?

With my 2001 toyota i had 3 engine lights within 10,000kms - dealer wanted to dismantle my fuel line - I stopped them - called Toyota and OH.. bad computer motherboard....whole things replaced

If it keeps up - take back to dealer for inspection.... - you never know

• 2 months later...

After hearing all the responses I've been a bit concerned about my own mileage. But with the help of the hints here I reset the mileage ticker, Drove to work. Reset and drove home (didn't forget to work in between). Averaged 25.8 in, 21.4 going back.

This is from North Phoenix to downtown so it's a bit down hill and a lot cooler in the morning with less stop and go (otherwise we're talking pretty flat driving). Strictly city driving, no freeways (17 miles) but the lights are mostly sync'd so it's a good steady drive for the most part. I'm also pretty light on the foot.

Came from a Chrysler Town & Country where I normally achieved 20-21mpg in town and about 24mpg on AZ freeways (75mph limits). At first I was hoping to best it by getting the Freestyle but was seduced by the Edge and decided what the hey, a guy has to live it up once in a while so this is very good news for me. The real test will be the mileage at the fill but I'm certainly encouraged.

One does drive a bit more careful when measuring mileage.

One last item, just got the car last week, first thing I did was drive to Sedona so I only have about 540 miles on it. As it breaks in I hope to see these numbers bump up a bit.

You really can't judge the overall MPG when only driving 34 miles. If you want to judge the MPG for a certain "trip" - then yes, reset as you did. But the overall driving MPG you need to reset it once and see what happens. I reset it when I had it delivered and then reset when I hit 3000 miles. Only at 3300 now so it still isn't a good time to decide what my MPG is. I do almost all city driving (except for a 1200 trip to Florida and back). Before 3000, it said 16.8. Now, after 3000, it is about 16.2 (no freeway driving the last 300 miles). I also have the AC on everytime I'm in the car.

Honestly though, when deciding about the Edge, gas mileage was not a factor. I figured a 3.5 liter 6 cylinder engine would get about 20 mpg overall. I'm not there yet but I will be.

I know, I know, if the sticker says X per gallon then it should be X. I agree 100%.

But again, MPG wasn't a factor. If I was worried about that, I'd buy a Honda Fit or something.

The Edge is much more fun/nicer/cooler/safer/the list goes on and on.

Edited by Good_Hands

For sure, I was looking for a snap shot to give me a hint on what to expect in mileage (and to test out the cool new feature - I'm not used those kind of bells n whistles). But otherwise you nailed it pretty good.

If mileage was of no concern I would have gotten the Expedition. :happy feet: If it was of higher concern I would have waited for the diesel Jetta wagon. The Edge is bigger than the Jetta, more fun, and built better from what I can tell. The interior has more visual punch than the Freestyle I was looking and the shorter wheelbase is making maneuvering a lot more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to remember when calculating MPG is that it gets better as you put more miles on the engine. The way you break it in is also important. I have experience with engines that start getting sweet at about 3,000 miles and some that aren't broken in until they hit the 15,000 mile mark. Most of you are reporting MPG figures with only 500 - 1,000 miles on the clock. It should get better with mileage. I would be interested to hear from someone that has 10,000 miles + on their Edge.

Edited by raginpitbull

I have been getting 20 to 21 mpg in combined city and highway driving. I took my Edge out for a country stroll this weekend and got 25 mpg average. Kept it off the big highways and didn't go over 70mph very often. I am pleased with what I am getting out of my SEL + with FWD. :shades:

• 2 months later...

I picked up my 2007 Edge AWD SEL at the end of February. I love my Edge with the exception of the mpg. I have about 10000 miles on it and have yet to hit 15mpg. Most of my driving has been suburb driving with a some expressway driving into Chicago. My mpg by computer and by hand has been about the same. I would LOVE to be able to get near the 20mpg that some people have posted.