MPG??????

npggirl

As I've written in other threads, I keep a spreadsheet of actual MPG. My SEL+ AWD now has c. 7200 miles on it and its cumulative MPG is 17.6. It now gets around 17 during local driving and over 20 on the hiway...around 20 at around 80MPH and around 23 at 65 - 70. The last 4 tanks' cumulative average is 18.5.

BTW the highest difference between actual and computer-indicated mileage for the last-nine tanks is 0.4, and usually they're withing a couple tenths.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest w/ you I think the MPG is getting worst. I'm thinking of calling Ford and discussing the shitty mileage. Seriously, when I drove about 240 Miles one way I did get near 26-27 MPG w/ 3000-4000 miles on the vehicle. When I drove a similar trip I never got to 23 MPG and I had over 7000+ Miles on the car.

I just don't get it. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan w/ about 2000 Miles on it and we are getting 18-20 City and the car isn't even broken in. I know we aren't comparing apples to apples but shit, at least the carvan holds 7 people and hauls an arcade game in the back.

Bill

Edited by audiomidiman

Seriously, when I drove about 240 Miles one way I did get near 26-27 MPG w/ 3000-4000 miles on the vehicle. When I drove a similar trip I never got to 23 MPG and I had over 7000+ Miles on the car.

Bill

According to your figures, You are getting MORE than what the E.P.A. says the car is suppose to get. If you read the window sticker it will tell you that "Your milage will vary"

According to your figures, You are getting MORE than what the E.P.A. says the car is suppose to get. If you read the window sticker it will tell you that "Your milage will vary"

That's what I'm getting at. I got better gas mileage before it broke in and city mileage is becoming a joke. I don't call this a crossover any longer I call this an Explorer w/ slightly better gas mileage. It is more fun though.

Edited by audiomidiman

You calling the Edge an Exploder is like me saying that George Bush is smart. The Edge has nothing in common with the Exploder.

I have over 20,000 miles on my Edge. My gas mileage has been consistently been 21mpg in city driving, and 28mpg highway since day one. Maybe you have a heavy foot on the gas pedal??

Actually, I've lighted up on the gas MONTHS ago and my mileage is getting worst. That's good that your getting 21mpg but MOST of us are not and have NEVER got that kind of gas mileage.

Edited by audiomidiman

I don't think "MOST" of "YOU" are getting any worse...a "FEW" of you, maybe. Driving habits have a lot to do with mpg, as do type of tires, FWD or AWD, type of gas used, etc.

I think if you searched a little bit you would see many people complaining about their mileage getting worst. It seems more common than it should. In fact I have two coworkers who own Edge's and like me, they love it but are bitching about the gas mileage getting worst. I'm going to take mine in to see if there is anything they can do such as resetting the computer.

I think if you searched a little bit you would see many people complaining about their mileage getting worst. It seems more common than it should. In fact I have two coworkers who own Edge's and like me, they love it but are bitching about the gas mileage getting worst. I'm going to take mine in to see if there is anything they can do such as resetting the computer.

It is that time of year when we start to get oxygenated gas at the pump, and that seems to reduce MPG. Additional drag caused by increased air density and colder temperatures affecting the engines efficiency may also play a factor.

It is that time of year when we start to get oxygenated gas at the pump, and that seems to reduce MPG. Additional drag caused by increased air density and colder temperatures affecting the engines efficiency may also play a factor.

Well, that's good information to know... That does suck either way...

Another factor in poor gas mileage this time of year is letting your car warm up. I have an automatic starter and even if I only let it run for 5 minutes before I leave in the morning my mileage drops 1-2 MPG and sometimes more.

Out of interest, what is a good way to verify that the computer on the car is giving accurate info about the mileage?? How do you know if it needs to be calibrated, etc??

Thanks!

I usually reset my MPG right after I fill up. I actually TRY not to watch it. I usually will calculate it myself every based on miles per tank and how much gas I purchase to see if the MPG computer is accurate.

Bill

Out of interest, what is a good way to verify that the computer on the car is giving accurate info about the mileage?? How do you know if it needs to be calibrated, etc??

Thanks!

First, it can't be calibrated. Second - you just measure it yourself the old-fashioned way and compare it:

Fill up, note the mileage and reset the MPG on the computer.

Next fill up, note the mileage, gallons used on the pump and the MPG reading on the computer.

Subtract the new mileage from the old mileage and divide by the number of gallons used in the second fill up (fill up the same way both times).

Compare that to the computer reading.

Everyone that I've seen do this says the computer is within 0.5 mpg either way - not enough to worry about IMO.

Well, that's good information to know... That does suck either way...

Another factor in poor gas mileage this time of year is letting your car warm up. I have an automatic starter and even if I only let it run for 5 minutes before I leave in the morning my mileage drops 1-2 MPG and sometimes more.

Don't forget tire pressure. Your tire pressure will drop with the temperatures if you don't reset it and that will hurt fuel mileage.

Out of interest, what is a good way to verify that the computer on the car is giving accurate info about the mileage?? How do you know if it needs to be calibrated, etc?? Thanks!

kbesner, akirby gave you good advice. FYI, here are the differences between actual MPG and indicated MPG for my 11 tanks I've kept this info. Positive numbers show the computer's results over actual results.

0.7MPG

So while the results from one tank might be off a bit, overall the computer is adequately accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

have about just over 2000 miles and i have not seen 16mpg. i baby this car. slow takes off. i dont gun it at all. i do mostly city driving and have not seen 16mpg. usually around 14. 14.5. i did take one road trip and got around 22.5. and that was around 1000 miles on it.

i took it to the dealer concerning the terrible gas mileage. (sticker says 18.) they put in on the reader and says there is nothing showing. says there is a break in period. well, i am still waiting! i dont look at the dash read out. i calculate it by hand. they both never match.

i absolutely love the car but the fuel consumption is killing me. about 140 miles per half tank.(14.0 per gallon)

any one else have this!

usually when i find another edge driver, i ask them how is there gas mileage and they really dont know, they dont check it!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME AND SAY IT IS GOING TO GET BETTER! AT LEAST UP TO 16-17 MPG

Edited by stoushr

have about just over 2000 miles and i have not seen 16mpg. i baby this car. slow takes off. i dont gun it at all. i do mostly city driving and have not seen 16mpg. usually around 14. 14.5. i did take one road trip and got around 22.5. and that was around 1000 miles on it.

i took it to the dealer concerning the terrible gas mileage. (sticker says 18.) they put in on the reader and says there is nothing showing. says there is a break in period. well, i am still waiting! i dont look at the dash read out. i calculate it by hand. they both never match.

i absolutely love the car but the fuel consumption is killing me. about 140 miles per half tank.(14.0 per gallon)

any one else have this!

usually when i find another edge driver, i ask them how is there gas mileage and they really dont know, they dont check it!

Your experience is the same as mine was. However, at about 3500 miles things started to turn. Now at 5000 and seeing 18/22. Hope it works out for you.

Just got back from trip to Brownsville thru Corpus Cristi, I have 5300 miles on the OD and averaged 23.5 @ 60-65MPH. Lots of Texas law on I37 and R77.

Heading toward San Angelo this afternoon and will probably open it up to 90 or more to see what it'll do.

It gets pretty lonely out in the middle of Texas, very few state law out there and I want to see how she does.

any one else have this!

It will continue to improve through 5K or so so be patient. Also, the computer mpg has been consistently shown to be within 0.5 mpg of actuals BUT you have to reset it every time you fill up if you want to measure it by the tankfull. You can reset it anytime to measure mpg over a specific route or shorter time period. Stop and go and idling will KILL your fuel mileage.

It will continue to improve through 5K or so so be patient. Also, the computer mpg has been consistently shown to be within 0.5 mpg of actuals BUT you have to reset it every time you fill up if you want to measure it by the tankfull. You can reset it anytime to measure mpg over a specific route or shorter time period. Stop and go and idling will KILL your fuel mileage.

I just picked up my new 2008 Edge SEL AWD this past Saturday. I did one road trip to get it home (I'm in Canada, bought it in Maine). For 4 hours of highway driving at 110 km/hr (about 69 mph), the computer is telling me I averaged about 18.9 mpg.

Really like the car. It isn't as powerful as my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD V8, but it should be a lot better on gas. I got the black with black leather and dash, really like it, very smart looking interior.

I have no complaints with my 2007 FWD. True, most of my driving has been on the highway with over 8,000 miles but my average mileage is 21.7 MPG (this is by my calculations, not the trip computer). Worst tank to date was 16.3 driving North on I-35 against a 20 MPH head wind. The best MPG was 26.1 with a strong tail wind.

I do not have any problems with this type of fuel mileage mainly because of all the performance this EDGE delivers. If I wanted better fuel milage I would have bought an eco-box.......

""I have no complaints with my 2007 FWD. True, most of my driving has been on the highway with over 8,000 miles but my average mileage is 21.7 MPG (this is by my calculations, not the trip computer). Worst tank to date was 16.3 driving North on I-35 against a 20 MPH head wind. The best MPG was 26.1 with a strong tail wind."

We had the same problem. Strong headwind KILLED the mileage. It never stayed in 6th gear.

Edited by 818EDGE