MPG??????

npggirl

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Y'all-

Ā 

I just returned from a round trip - Plano to San Angelo via I20 and R277. Managed a healthy 22 to 23 MPG @ 65MPH on I20. I used my calculator, not the trip computer.

Ā 

I opened it up on a dry 20 mile stretch of R277 near Bronte and the OD sat pegged at 95/96MPH. The tach stayed constant, no rev bounce.

Ā 

Ā 

Is there a governor on this thing or what??

Ā 

Ā 

The trip back was normal and the MPG over 615 miles was 22MPG (some city driving in there.

Drove at 65-70MPH most of the way. Lots of Texsas Law on I20.

Ā 

Ā 

I have about 6400 miles on my Edge and nary a flaw!

Ā 

Except I am concerned that FOMOCO put a governor on my (leased) car!

• 2 weeks later...
have about just over 2000 miles and i have not seen 16mpg. i baby this car. slow takes off. i dont gun it at all. i do mostly city driving and have not seen 16mpg. usually around 14. 14.5. i did take one road trip and got around 22.5. and that was around 1000 miles on it.

Ā 

i took it to the dealer concerning the terrible gas mileage. (sticker says 18.) they put in on the reader and says there is nothing showing. says there is a break in period. well, i am still waiting! i dont look at the dash read out. i calculate it by hand. they both never match.

Ā 

i absolutely love the car but the fuel consumption is killing me. about 140 miles per half tank.(14.0 per gallon)

Ā 

Ā 

any one else have this!

Ā 

usually when i find another edge driver, i ask them how is there gas mileage and they really dont know, they dont check it!

Ā 

CAN ANYONE HELP ME AND SAY IT IS GOING TO GET BETTER! AT LEAST UP TO 16-17 MPG

Ā 

2007 Edge SEL+ FWD with 5500 miles.

Just got back fro 1560 mile trip, mostly highway and averaged 24 MPG on the computer.

Average sdeed was 64 but pushed 80 occassionally. Around town aveage is about 15-17

Just done a 4600 mile trip with my baggage load edge and Thule bag on top, averaged 21mpg @ 70 -75mph.

Around town, not stomping on the gas everytime the light changes...taking it easy I get 18mpg

a bit of a heavy foot definately changes the game..

The Edge went extremely well, no complaints other than....why do they give you that skiny biscuit for a spare tire???? Come on Ford.... how about a REAL spare tire?

Happy New Year everyone.

2007 Edge AWD, SEL +, BAMR. 5000 Miles

Ā 

On a recent trip to Philly from greater Boston, we got as high as 26 mpg at 70 mph, then we hit the 6 lane to 3 lane merge traffic on the NJ TP and dropped to 23 mpg. Over all the combined milage for the trip was 22 mpg which included 1.5 days of city driving. Not bad, I think we finally got the engine broken in.

I now have 7700 miles on my Edge. I filled up in KCMO after driving from my house to Rolla MO to Jefferson City to Sedalia to KCMO. My average MPH was 43 and my MPG was 20.1.

Ā 

When I drive strictly hiway I reset the Comp and normally get 24+ at MPH Avg 58 to 61. It is very hard to average 70 MPH if you have the cruise set there, since you usually have someone or a group that you must negotiate going slower.

Ā 

I normally set my Cruise at 74 when in a 70 MPH zone and let that Edge Eat some miles. I have seen numbers as high as 26 mpg while driving, But I have never been able to sustain that.

Ā 

Weekly travel includes Myself, My Wife, and Josie the wonder Dog 62.6 pounds of pure Meat Pit bull, our clothes for 5 days and my Computer bag, that probably weighs 60 pounds by itself. Definitely not a heavy load, well I am, but the rest is average.

Ā 

Last week was miserable cold here, that may have had an effect on my mileage. :shades: :shades:

My wife has a 2008 AWD Edge Ltd. with about 1,500 miles on it. She recently did about 300 miles of driving with an average speed of about 35 mph (mostly stop and go city-type driving) and averaged 19.5 mpg. This was based on the fill-up calculation and not the mpg indicator on the car which also showed 19.5 mpg. She currently communtes about 20 miles one way to work each day on a two-lane "country" road with an average speed of about 45 mph counting the city/highway driving and is averaging right at 20 mpg. We've not taken any long highway trips so I don't know what the mpg would be for extended highway driving but it seems she is getting about 20 mpg regardless of the type of driving.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at 1800 miles now, but 800 miles ago checked a tank at a woeful 13.4mpg! That DID include a lot of full throttle runs, my full commute is back roads and I drive fast(5 miles one-way). Big thing was letting it warm up for extended periods, sometimes 20 minutes +

Ā 

I was breaking it in very hard then, so next tank I drove a bit more sedate, fast but not excessively full throttle(every now and again though) and reduced my warm ups to about 3 minutes average and was at 15.6mpg, all same short commute. I can't believe how slow some people go, I'm now in a 'slow' suv and am trying to behave and I still leave people way in the distance leaving lights.

Ā 

Took it to NY over the weekend, going up 280miles mostly high speed('highway' for me is about 70-75mph average), fully loaded with 4 people and bagage, but got stuck in almost 1 1/2 hours traffic on the belt parkway and LIE, average including some visiting around town 20.8mpg Drive home, much less traffic and including a couple drives to work and back 21.9mpg on that tank. All crapola 87 octane winter mix.

Ā 

Ā 

The gauge was pretty accurate, read a little low for city driving and a little high for highway. Meter was reading 24mpg on the trip back before the two days of driving to work and back.

Ā 

AWD with Vista roof, so she was a bit heavy loaded with people. At 1800 miles power has become noticeably stronger.

Edited by kevinb120

I'm tired of hearing all the "I get 19-22mpg" stories. I have owned 5 SUV's over the last 3 years, all with other owners on forums making the same claims. These same owners neglect to tell you they live out in some semi rural suburb, out on a farm with flat highways, or the most important, that they are the people getting flipped off every day by other drivers for putzing off the starting line of every intersection going 3mph. These are the drivers that take 74 city blocks to reach 25mph and you know who you are.

Ā 

The average California/Chicago/NY driver is not going to get more than 13-14 with any SUV with 220-300hp, period. It's the law of physics. These are not direct injected BMW's here, they're plain old injected, heavy vehicles, with standard design transmissions, and they are inefficient as hell.

Ā 

I now have 3,000 miles on my Edge and do a lot of city with 20% highway. My mpg is consistently 13-14 city. Unless you're meandering around with the foot of an old maid, hence the fingers and shouts of other drives windows, by the very nature of busy bee drivers in big cities, you'll have to keep up with the flow of that... then you're getting real mpg. Like 17-18 highway.

Ā 

The Edge weighs over 4,000lbs., has a semi advanced trans, and is not particularly aero dynamic. It doesn't have the type of trans that Mercedes/ BMW types have, which have astounding power curves and shift patterns, seriously increasing MPG... and the injection is a huge deal as well. Back to the trans. This has a LOT to do with mpg. When a trans is not very advanced in design, it takes a lot more to get it to stay in a gear up hill, a lot more effort to take off effectively, and I know for a fact, Fords love to retard timing to make them shift smoothly. They "cheat" smooth shifts by retarding timing rather than having a proper trans. Therefore you're lead footing it to make it just drive normally. Drive an Audi or other Euro car and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. It's one huge reason Ford and GM and losing to Jap and Euro manufacturers. They continue to put out designs that are 10 years behind. People catch on. They switch brands.

Ā 

Our Hyundai Veracruz Limited is 10 light years ahead of our Edge. It is astoundingly refined and the shifting is at least 4 levels above. The AWD Veracruz gets better city than our 2 WD Edge.

Ā 

Case in point of American engineering and other countries. I get 17-18mpg city, with a 300+HP 2003 S500... and I drive hard.

I get 17.8 on a very fast driving day a (0-60 in 4.8 seconds) 07' 335i BMW and 24 at a cruising speed of 90mph.

The ML500 gets 14 in the city, many of my business partners own them. Explain that.

Ā 

The bottom line is if you live in a big city or coastal town, you're mpg is going to suck.

Ā 

That is, as I've said, unless you're one of the 'door stops' that causes everyone else on the road to swerve around you....

^Whew!!!! And here I am yelling at my Fiance for her lead foot and jack rabbit starts and complaining that the best we've averaged in our first 1000miles has been 17.6MPG (car calculated) 17.2 (hand calculated). Maybe our Edge is tuned better than yours?

Ā 

02/13/08 UPDATE: We are routinely getting 17.4 - 18.0 MPG in NJ with winter blend gasoline. My Commute consists of 14 miles each way on the highway, with two hills, and about 6 stop lights. No long trips yet.

Edited by Edgieguy

• 2 weeks later...

I can not comment on the Edge MPG as I just bought one (only 58 miles on it so far and still breaking it in). I do know for those that have auto climate (I have dual zone), that when I place it on 60F, it kicks the AC on - even though it is 25F outside...odd, but that will kill MPG. 65F does not kick it on, but is still warm to me. Another thing is I noticed is there is no engine splash guard. While they are annoying as sin to work with when doing Oil changes, it does help the air flow under the car - I am curious if anyone could fabricate one.

Ā 

I do want to say, the Brand of gasoline DOES matter. I did tests in my Mazda 3SP during summer months. I used BP, Shell, Speedway, Clark, Citgo. My testst were 10 fill ups of the same station same pump and driven as similar as possible (first two fill ups not counted and used the last 8 fillups in calculations). Average miles per tank (14.5G total capacity) was 363 Miles with an average fill up of 12.8 US Gallons. I used regular octane and started at 2604 Miles on the engine. I suffered as much as I could during this test but I did use AC at times, but noted that. (I am anal if you did not figure that out).

Ā 

Note: I did lots of mixed driving. My Mazda now has 68542 miles on it (bought in May 2005). I do not drive like a bat out of hades, but will Zoom Zoom when I need to. I have a 5 speed manual.

Ā 

The best gas mileage by far was Shell (my location is Ohio). It averaged 1.8 MPG MORE than BP (second best).

Ā 

Shell: 29.765 MPG

BP: 28.048

Speedway: 27.495

Citgo 25.457

Clark 25.023

Ā 

I tried my best to keep variables constant - but keep in mind this is not 100% accurate. Variables such as type of station (heavy or little usage), temperature, driving style, regional location (yes gas formulas are different for regions), winter gas, and others affect MPG.

Ā 

Basically the moral of the story is buy good name brand fuels.

Ā 

Again, this is my $.01 so take with agrain of salts

Ā 

Solas

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all. I keep hearing not so great reviews on the MPG that the Edge is getting in the city. I mean, is it really that bad?

How congested is the city you live in?

If the sticker says approx 17 city, how can it be somewhere around 13 and 14 mpg city driving for a lot of folks?

How could the sticker be that far off?

What are all of you that have the edge experiencing??

personally i've had my edge for almost a year, and i generally average 19-20 mpg i do a bit of mixed city/hwy driving. i think i may have gone down 1-2 mpg when doing strictly city. considering the engine, and horsepower i feel that this is pretty good mileage.

There appears to be some more people on the other forums who are experiencing poor mpg as I am. Like I stated. I have driven the Edge hard for a tank and followed all speed limits (actually slower most of the time) and I still have not had impressive numbers at all.

Ā 

I have yet to go out and do a whole tank of gas highway trip. and I just turned 1500 miles or so on the odomoter, so the engine does need to break in...

Ā 

IF I could just get 16-17 mpg on a regular basis I would not be upset at all. Thats all I was getting on my Jeep Liberty. And gas prices just started climbing back up since I purchased this Gas HOG, go figure!

Ā 

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt being Mr. Green buying a 6cyl 265 hp 4000lb vehicle. But I would NOT have bought it, if the sticker said avg mpg 13/18 You can bet on that! :censored:

2007 Edge SEL+ FWD 7000 miles. Average for city driving is 18 MPG.

Highway average is 23 MPG. The computer mileage is about 1 1/2 MPG higher which is of course erronious.

This mileage is much better than my previous 2004 Durango.

• 4 months later...

I am new to the forum...and thinking of trading in a 03 Z71 Tahoe. for an edge. I get about 17 mpg HIGHWAY with the TAHOE.....and with gas prices...well you know the deal.

Ā 

Reading all the posts regarding gas mileage......I wish people would (some do) point out the options on the car and whether is AWD or FWD, as this makes a HUGE difference in what you will get in terms of mileage.

Ā 

I know that two major causes of poor fuel economy is WEIGHT and FRICTION. So if you have an AWD model with the ROOF option, your car is the HEAVIEST..EDGE made, and therefore will fall into the LOWEST category for fuel mileage.

Ā 

So, if you wouldnt mind, :rockon: when responding to the GAS mileage posts...please include the following: :stats:

Ā 

1) AWD or FWD

2) Roof or no roof

3) RIM/Tire size

4) City or Hwy or Combo

5) Use the AC or windows

6) Hot climate or cold climate

7) Hills or flat.

Ā 

This will help out greatly when comparing mileage.

Ā 

thanks

Ā 

SS

I am new to the forum...and thinking of trading in a 03 Z71 Tahoe. for an edge. I get about 17 mpg HIGHWAY with the TAHOE.....and with gas prices...well you know the deal.

Ā 

Reading all the posts regarding gas mileage......I wish people would (some do) point out the options on the car and whether is AWD or FWD, as this makes a HUGE difference in what you will get in terms of mileage.

Ā 

I know that two major causes of poor fuel economy is WEIGHT and FRICTION. So if you have an AWD model with the ROOF option, your car is the HEAVIEST..EDGE made, and therefore will fall into the LOWEST category for fuel mileage.

Ā 

So, if you wouldnt mind, :rockon: when responding to the GAS mileage posts...please include the following: :stats:

Ā 

1) AWD or FWD

2) Roof or no roof

3) RIM/Tire size

4) City or Hwy or Combo

5) Use the AC or windows

6) Hot climate or cold climate

7) Hills or flat.

Ā 

This will help out greatly when comparing mileage.

Ā 

thanks

Ā 

SS

I have a 2007 Edge, 2 wheel, 18 inch tires and no sunroof.

Here in FL most driving is done with a/c on.

Have been gettin 18-19 mixed driving and on a 3400 mile trip (Boston & back)

I averaged 23-24. Speed up to 80 at times but mostly 70-75

This was in December so no a/c. Lately the mileage has dropped 1-2 miles per gallon.

It could be a change in "summer blended" gas. I buy most gas at Costco.

Also have noticd the transmission shift points have changed and does not always shift into 6th gear.

Ford states this is temperature related which I think is bull. Will be going back to dealer again soon.

Costco and Sams have signs on there pump that read 10% Ethanol added to gas.

I know this also lowers mileage.

I have an 07 edge.

Initially ( 0 - 6000 miles) the vehicle got poor MPG in town (13-14 mpg city).

It now has about 7600 miles on it and I am noticing improved mpg (15-17 mpg city)

It does better on the freeway (21 - 23 mpg)

Ā 

My opinion... the engine is a fairly hi output, therefore, if you lean into the accelerator, the mpg drops. If you drive more patiently, your mileage will improve.

Ā 

4000lb + 265 hp = not so good mpg

• 2 weeks later...

:quote: The average California/Chicago/NY driver is not going to get more than 13-14 with any SUV with 220-300hp, period. It's the law of physics

You are 100% right. I live in Westchester (subrurb of NYC) and when I'm in the city I get anywhere from 9-14mpg. But when I'm cruising on the highway doing 70-80mph I get 24-26.

i get 19mpg mixed.

25% city

75% higway

Just bought my FW Edge SE, and have been watching this thread for the past week. When people post their average MPGs, could you please post the size of your tires as well. I think it would be interesting to see the differences between the 17", 18", and 20" tires in regards to MPG. I specifically wanted the smaller tire for my Edge to squeeze out the most mpg out of it.

Just bought my FW Edge SE, and have been watching this thread for the past week. When people post their average MPGs, could you please post the size of your tires as well. I think it would be interesting to see the differences between the 17", 18", and 20" tires in regards to MPG. I specifically wanted the smaller tire for my Edge to squeeze out the most mpg out of it.

Ā 

What makes you think a smaller tire yields better mpg?

Ā 

There is less than 1" difference in the overall height of the tires:

Ā 

235/65R17 27.4"

245/60R18 28"

245/50R20 28.3"

What makes you think a smaller tire yields better mpg?

Ā 

There is less than 1" difference in the overall height of the tires:

Ā 

235/65R17 27.4"

245/60R18 28"

245/50R20 28.3"

Ā 

18" tires, FWD, roof rack - no BAMR, SEL, Easily geting 22+ in town, approaching 24mpg if I can avoid stop and go - just commute (17 miles one way; few stops at about 40mph average speed limit, no freeway). Drops down to about 22mpg with stop and go.

Ā 

This car really does not like stop and go traffic or hills: Things that make you push on the gas. Gawd help you if you go for quick acceleration as you mpg will plummet.

Ā 

Tire size has an effect on the finally gear ratio to the road. Smaller tires give more mechanical advantage vs. larger tires. For this little difference in size one would think tire pressure would be more important in the real world with respect to influencing your mpg rating.