michaelfriesen

2008 Ford Edge Wheel Size Confusion

Hi there, I'm wondering if somebody can clear up some confusion for me and perhaps educate me a bit.

We have a 2008 Ford Edge which is in mint condition that we intend on keeping for quite some time, it has very low kilometres and has been babied from day one. We need a new set of tires and I don't want to fork out 1400 bucks to put them on the old, somewhat questionable-looking original 'chrome plastic' rims. I would love to put a set of original (not OEM) Ford Edge Sport rims on this vehicle and this is where the confusion begins.

The Sport rims that I'm looking at are from the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Edges (I've attached a photo of a 2012 Ford Edge Sport with the exact same rims I want). I understand that our 2008 Ford edge has a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. This is the exact same bolt pattern that the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Edges have. The offset on our 2008 Ford Edge is 35 - 40.

But -- the offset on the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Edge is 39 - 44 -- different than our 2008.

I've tried and tried to digest all this and make sense out of all the info I can find on the net but it's just not happening. Royally confused.

So to make a long story short, can I put these gorgeous 2012 rims on our older 2008 Ford Edge? Will they work? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah they should work. In fact, it's rather simple to decipher: All first generation Edges (2006-2014) have the same bolt pattern (5 x 114.3 mm) and the second generation (2015 and up) have a smaller bolt pattern (5 x 108 mm). About the rear spacing, I think all Edges could originally be had with different wheels models and sizes but with the same offset. I put some 22" on my girlfriend's 2011 MKX ( which originally came with 20's) and they fit perfectly like if the vehicle left the factory with them.

Hope this clears it up a little

good luck!

Claude. ;)

bolt pattern and offset are fine.  HOWEVER, the hub bore is different.  2011-2014 hub bore is smaller than 2007-2010, at 63.4 vs 70.6. So you will have to bore out the Sport wheels to fit correctly.  You CAN find adapters instead, but adapters are not good in the long run.  Plus you might need new studs to mount the lug nuts onto if you use adapters.

What @WWWPerfA_ZN0W stated above, the bore size is different. Better to stick with 2007-2010 wheels and avoid using adapters. As for the offset, again, like what WWWperfA_ZN0W stated, it is fine, the reason for the difference is because of the different wheel widths. The 22" wheels are wider than the smaller wheels.

• Like 1

i don't know what happened to my reply, I replied back a few days ago to say thanks but the reply disappeared (?). Thanks to all who answered back, so much appreciated! Merry Christmas and stay safe...

• Like 2