Bad Gas Odor

Bonzo84

Hi, I have a 2018 Edge Sport. Lately after driving and parking in garage, there is a horrible gasoline odor in the garage. There is no noticeable odor while driving in the cabin with heat on either, but really bad shortly after. No signs of of any fluids anywhere. Car runs fine, no dash warnings. Any help is much appreciated.

• Like 1

Lift the hood after driving and see if the smell is coming from the engine compartment. If so remove the engine cover and have a look for any fluids. The Sports have a very high-pressure fuel pump, hundreds of pounds PSI if not more. A very small pinhole would spray fuel as a mist and vaporize quickly so there may not be a puddle.   After you get the engine cover off if you don't see anything, then start the engine and have another look. Good luck be safe.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

I removed the cover & took a look an do not see anything so far while running. One thing of notice I forgot to mention is that I do have a JLT Catch Can. I emptied that and there was maybe 20% full and that smells exactly like the odor. Would that be causing it? All the hoes look intact.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, Bonzo84 said:

Nope catch can wasnt it, it still smells bad of gas in garage. I will make appointment to bring in to dealer.

Have you taken it to the dealer yet, and if so what was the outcome?

I have the same smell, which my wife remarked was the smell of gasoline, but having emptied the JLT catch-can many times, the smell in the garage is the same, so I'm convinced its not gas.

Because its the same smell as the contents in the catch can, I've checked the cans O-ring and the vent hoses and all appears in order.

Looks like the F150 guys have the same issue and possibly the hoses supplied with the catch-can.

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/threads/catch-can-smell-anyone-solve.11201/page-2

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bonzo84 said:

Hi, I figured out the gas odor. I was actually the JLT catch can hoses. I talked to JLT and they were great. They explained some people have that issue and they sent me a new set of a different type of hoses for free. I installed them and no more smell. 

Thanks for that update.

I found it difficult to believe that the hoses could be the culprit as they still appear as new condition.

I sent JLT an email last night and had a reply early this morning. also a phone call -  they offered to send me a new set of hoses - amazing response from JLT.

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/2015-2019-edge-sport-lincoln-mkx/

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, txaggie said:

Having this issue as well.  Thought it was a stuck injector dumping extra fuel, but hoping it is the hoses on the catch can.  Just called and they are sending the new hoses.

My replacement hoses were shipped on Monday and received them yesterday - they're installed but of course too early to confirm that its taken care of the smell.

Hoses.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Its been long enough for me to declare success - been no nasty odor in my garage since installing the new hoses.

Had mine on for a week now, and remain cautiously optimistic that this solved the problem, as I haven’t had the smell either.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 11:18 AM, omar302 said:

They should recall all the previously shipped hoses from the same batch, even if the customer did not complain.

The issue seems to be more with the type of hoses. The original hoses that came with my JLT that I ordered in August 2019 had 25 psi written on them.  My new ones have 35psi written on them.  So I don't think it was a bad batch of hoses, I just think that 25psi hoses can leak from pressure that is more than they can handle.  And my gas odor didn't start until late Dec 2020.  I replaced the hoses about 3 weeks ago and have not had the return of the smell.

1 hour ago, txaggie said:

The issue seems to be more with the type of hoses. The original hoses that came with my JLT that I ordered in August 2019 had 25 psi written on them.  My new ones have 35psi written on them.  So I don't think it was a bad batch of hoses, I just think that 25psi hoses can leak from pressure that is more than they can handle.  And my gas odor didn't start until late Dec 2020.  I replaced the hoses about 3 weeks ago and have not had the return of the smell.

If the pressure in the PCV system is exceeding 25 psi you would be having serious issues. I think it was more of a "lowest cost hose available" problem.

1 hour ago, handfiler said:

If the pressure in the PCV system is exceeding 25 psi you would be having serious issues. I think it was more of a "lowest cost hose available" problem.

Correct, its not related to the pressure rating, but rather the type of hose which is designed to have a high permeation rate.

https://www.new-line.com/information/what-does-pin-pricked-hose-cover-mean

2 hours ago, handfiler said:

42 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Correct, its not related to the pressure rating, but rather the type of hose which is designed to have a high permeation rate.

https://www.new-line.com/information/what-does-pin-pricked-hose-cover-mean

Thanks for the info/corrections guys!

• 10 months later...

Bringing this topic back up.  Last March I installed the "35" designated hoses that J&L sent me to replace the "25" hoses.  Everything was fine until the first below 40F days here in Dallas in December, and the smell has returned to my car and garage.  In fact, sometimes you can actually get the smell in the cabin after restarting soon after driving.  I took off the hoses and catch can and found condensation at the outlet fitting of the engine, at the inlet adapter to the can.  I also found condensation on the hoses themselves.  

I have a call into J&L to discuss with them.  Hopefully I can get it fixed because I do believe based on the oil/gas liquid that I clean out every 1000 miles would be better not going back into the engine  :)

Edited by txaggie