New to the club! Need feedback!

d332y

Hey guys/gals! I just picked up my 2018 Sport last Saturday and I think I’m in love. I traded from a G37 as I have a kiddo and needed more space but didn’t want to sacrifice performance. It’s fast and I’ve already scoured the master thread to make it faster/reliable. Here’s what I want to do, let me know if you think this should be sufficient for my needs. DD, about 20 miles of stop and go and 40 miles of highway per day, less than two hours round trip. Not looking for a drag monster, just a little more spirited driving after dropping the kid off at daycare. Also looking to drive this into the ground so I’d like to improve reliability. Here are my intentions.

I’ve already ordered the following; Green Drop-In Air Filter and JLT Catch Can.

Id definitely like the following; Unleashed Tune and a BOV. 

Considering the following in preparation of the tune but wanted to know if y’all thought it would be overkill for daily driving on premium; 170 thermostat, crankcase breather,  unleashed throttle body.

Open to all ideas and suggestions, really appreciate y’alls feedback! Can’t wait to contribute as I get more knowledge on these beauties.

2D4CA546-49BA-4633-BE68-3A4560C6B887.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The tune is a must, a lower restriction filter is great for faster turbo spool up.

Not a fan of catch cans. I don't think they are at all needed.

BOV is nothing more than a noise maker.

The rest unnecessary for a DD, the thermostat for track duty where you're in the boost often.  TB has minimal improvement.

23 minutes ago, todd92 said:

The tune is a must, a lower restriction filter is great for faster turbo spool up.

Not a fan of catch cans. I don't think they are at all needed.

BOV is nothing more than a noise maker.

The rest unnecessary for a DD, the thermostat for track duty where you're in the boost often.  TB has minimal improvement.

Thank you so much for this response. I ended up doing the Unleashed power package and so far I’ve got the 93 octane tune, iridium plugs, catch can (put it in last week), BOV and the Green air filter (ordered but takes 5 weeks). I’m REALLY happy with that tune, feels as fast as my g37 was now. I still have the scorpion pirellis and they’ve got about 20,000 miles left on them but I’ll switch to different tires when the time comes. 

1 hour ago, niceonept said:

Hi. Welcome to our forum.

Hopefully some of our more techie members will be able to answer your queries soon.

Thanks! So far this forum has been super helpful in answering questions without even needing to ask. I just noticed a lot of info for folks who wanna track their rides and not so much about DD so I thought I’d ask. I’m really happy with my tune, BOV, catch can and I blacked out the logos and made my own/debadged. Not much left to do at this point but enjoy it all!

Gotta love these cars.  I honestly think sticky summer tires are a must at the same time as any kind of decent performance tune for these vehicles, because my 245 tiger paws on the E30 tune just makes launching a chore.  Either too little and it's 0-60 in the 4.9-5.2 range, or it just does a burnout.  

But, I love me a good black Edge for sure.  Hate it when spring comes and it gets "painted" yellow by the overzealous trees and plants. 

On 5/1/2021 at 6:25 PM, CrackedDSM said:

Gotta love these cars.  I honestly think sticky summer tires are a must at the same time as any kind of decent performance tune for these vehicles, because my 245 tiger paws on the E30 tune just makes launching a chore.  Either too little and it's 0-60 in the 4.9-5.2 range, or it just does a burnout.  

But, I love me a good black Edge for sure.  Hate it when spring comes and it gets "painted" yellow by the overzealous trees and plants. 

Damn 4.9-5.2 in one of ours?! That’s awesome!!!! Do you daily it with the E30? I refuel at least once a week, figured it would be a hassle. Thankfully, I have a car wash just outside my neighborhood that offers unlimited ceramic wax washes for $45/month, with vacuums/rags to dry and free air fresheners. I keep it SUPER clean haha. 

18 hours ago, d332y said:

Damn 4.9-5.2 in one of ours?! That’s awesome!!!! Do you daily it with the E30? I refuel at least once a week, figured it would be a hassle. Thankfully, I have a car wash just outside my neighborhood that offers unlimited ceramic wax washes for $45/month, with vacuums/rags to dry and free air fresheners. I keep it SUPER clean haha. 

I've gotten it as low as 4.8, but traction is still an issue even then.  If I could hook up I know I could drop a few more tenths.  But, alas.  As long as it isn't wheelhopping, spinning saves drivelines.  As far as refilling, honestly it's easy.  Just check the ethanol content of the E85 every couple to few weeks and make sure its still in the same range, and then mix according to your favorite ethanol calculator online.  What works for me is my local station is always either E60 or E70, so I just pump 6 gallons of E85, and 8 gallons of pump 93.  Makes at minimum E31 or at maximum(say if you got lucky and got full 85% ethanol) E41.  Both are well within correctable standards of the tune from livernois.  It only basically adds one other step to fueling.  Instead of just pumping one fuel and going, you just add a little more of another fuel.  Adds on maybe an extra minute.  Not bad, and SO worth it for the performance!  

And this is all on the old LMS v3 tune.  I haven't updated to the V4 tune yet, that everyone is raving about.  Mods are in my signature.  With a solid tune, drop in filter, and sticky tires(definitely RMM too), I'd expect 0-60's in the 4.6-4.8 range and 1/4's in the 12.9-13.2 range, both being conservative numbers. Wife just recently had a dragy run of 13.5 @ 86 1/4 mile, and she started braking HARD at 85mph because she thought she saw "someone".  1/8th was 8.50 flat @ 83.5, so that would've been a 12 second pass all day.  Both of these times were before I installed the new CP-E rear motor mount. These cars RIP with basic stuff done to them! Can't wait to see what new runs can be achieved on the V4 tune and the addition of the upgraded rear motor mount.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CrackedDSM said:

And this is all on the old LMS v3 tune.  I haven't updated to the V4 tune yet, that everyone is raving about. 

Did LMS release a V4 for the Edge Sport (2015-2018)? How would one if an update was released? Thanks.

19 minutes ago, omar302 said:

Did LMS release a V4 for the Edge Sport (2015-2018)? How would one if an update was released? Thanks.

It's not been advertised anywhere, but I heard about it on the facebook group.  So I messaged Anthony @ LMS and he confirmed it, but they have a huge backlog because of new customers and etc.  Plus my source code is apparently unique and will require a new code to be written, and uploaded to their server.  So if you're wanting to update ASAP, I'd still give it a couple weeks.  When I get mine I'll update you guys so you know when it's on. ?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RidinDrty said:

20210504_135901~2.jpg

20210504_135907~2.jpg

Hello,

I am also new to the forum (joined yesterday), I bought a 2017 Edge Sport just over a month ago, 32k miles, also Shadow Black.  So far I have added the JLT catch can, KN drop-in, HikeIt throttle accelerator, and the Boomba Adjustable BOV adapter (just wanted to see if I liked the VTA sound before deciding which Turbosmart to get) and Atturo AZ 850s 265/40/21.  Some cosmetic stuff, 20% tint, tinted fog and mirror lights, window visors, hood skin, hyperdip blacked out badges, and black/red overlays on all ford emblems that I'm in the process of changing out now, black/red EcoBeast AWD overlay, Akrapovic carbon fiber dual exhaust tips (removed those stupid factory covers), glossy carbon fiber interior trim panel. My next purchase was going to be the power package from unleashed, or just the tuner/tunes from LMS. So I just had a few questions: How have you been liking the unleashed tune? Which tuner did you choose? Did the tune totally crush your gas mileage? Do u recommend it? My DD is about 6 miles city, 40 hghwy round trip, very little traffic. Thanks very much for any response

26 minutes ago, RidinDrty said:

Hello,

I am also new to the forum (joined yesterday), I bought a 2017 Edge Sport just over a month ago, 32k miles, also Shadow Black.  So far I have added the JLT catch can, KN drop-in, HikeIt throttle accelerator, and the Boomba Adjustable BOV adapter (just wanted to see if I liked the VTA sound before deciding which Turbosmart to get) and Atturo AZ 850s 265/40/21.  Some cosmetic stuff, 20% tint, tinted fog and mirror lights, window visors, hood skin, hyperdip blacked out badges, and black/red overlays on all ford emblems that I'm in the process of changing out now, black/red EcoBeast AWD overlay, Akrapovic carbon fiber dual exhaust tips (removed those stupid factory covers), glossy carbon fiber interior trim panel. My next purchase was going to be the power package from unleashed, or just the tuner/tunes from LMS. So I just had a few questions: How have you been liking the unleashed tune? Which tuner did you choose? Did the tune totally crush your gas mileage? Do u recommend it? My DD is about 6 miles city, 40 hghwy round trip, very little traffic. Thanks very much for any response

Can't say about the Unleashed tuner, but on livernois E30 tune I get 25-26mpg highway.  On their 93 performance tune, I get 30+mpg highway, if I keep my foot out of it.  The tune actually helped it get better gas mileage when off boost.  I'm sure it'll be similar results with any other brand tuner.  

33 minutes ago, RidinDrty said:

Hello,

Your ride looks sweet! I love the quad exhaust tips!!! I didn’t know I needed that until I saw it on yours. So I went with the SCT tuner power package. I didn’t end up changing the thermostat but I did have the spark plugs swapped. I’m still waiting on my Green air filter as well. My drive is similar to yours and I’m getting around 22 mpg with a 93 octane tune. I put it in sport a lot though. If I set cruise on the highway I average high 20s. I highly recommend it, I’ve been telling all my buddy’s with eco boosts to look into it. Totally changes the feel. When I leave it in drive it’s still very well behaved but when I drop it into sport it feels as fast as my g37 was. I haven’t done any real tests, just flooring it up to highway speeds or goosing it on backroads but I’m very pleased with it. 
How easy is it to remove the exhaust covers and slap those quad tips on?

1 hour ago, d332y said:

Your ride looks sweet! I love the quad exhaust tips!!! I didn’t know I needed that until I saw it on yours. So I went with the SCT tuner power package. I didn’t end up changing the thermostat but I did have the spark plugs swapped. I’m still waiting on my Green air filter as well. My drive is similar to yours and I’m getting around 22 mpg with a 93 octane tune. I put it in sport a lot though. If I set cruise on the highway I average high 20s. I highly recommend it, I’ve been telling all my buddy’s with eco boosts to look into it. Totally changes the feel. When I leave it in drive it’s still very well behaved but when I drop it into sport it feels as fast as my g37 was. I haven’t done any real tests, just flooring it up to highway speeds or goosing it on backroads but I’m very pleased with it. 
How easy is it to remove the exhaust covers and slap those quad tips on?

That is amazing!  I can't believe that both of you are getting better gas mileage with the tune, that seals it for me and I'm ordering tonight! Exhaust covers are super easy, 4 bolts on each, 2 star and 2 tiny hex heads, I actually had to go buy one of those tiny ratchet sets bc mine didn't have a small enough size.  Kind of a pain to get to a couple of them, (I didn't use a jack or ramp) but you can have em both off in 20 minutes.  It leaves you with enough room for tips that are 7.5"-8" across.  I went with 89mm tips which were 7.5" total width.  I also had to cut about an inch off of the exhaust pipe to get it to the depth I wanted, but that will be dependent on the tips you purchase of course.  Thank you for the information, I really really appreciate it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RidinDrty said:

That is amazing!  I can't believe that both of you are getting better gas mileage with the tune, that seals it for me and I'm ordering tonight! Exhaust covers are super easy, 4 bolts on each, 2 star and 2 tiny hex heads, I actually had to go buy one of those tiny ratchet sets bc mine didn't have a small enough size.  Kind of a pain to get to a couple of them, (I didn't use a jack or ramp) but you can have em both off in 20 minutes.  It leaves you with enough room for tips that are 7.5"-8" across.  I went with 89mm tips which were 7.5" total width.  I also had to cut about an inch off of the exhaust pipe to get it to the depth I wanted, but that will be dependent on the tips you purchase of course.  Thank you for the information, I really really appreciate it. 

I apologize,  I should have noted that those are the sizes that you can fit if you want to retain the factory clips for possible later use (wanna be able to put em back on when I turn it in one day).  If you are willing to cut those clips, then you could go a bit wider.  As you can see, there is still a bit of room on both sides of the factory cuts..

20210504_135927~2.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/9/2021 at 2:57 PM, CrackedDSM said:

Can't say about the Unleashed tuner, but on livernois E30 tune I get 25-26mpg highway.  On their 93 performance tune, I get 30+mpg highway, if I keep my foot out of it.  The tune actually helped it get better gas mileage when off boost.  I'm sure it'll be similar results with any other brand tuner.  

Thank you for the response. I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have never had a car tuned before.. So since you have the Livernois tune, does that mean that you bought the Livernois "My Calibrater" tuner? Or can you buy an X4 and still get the livernois tune? If so, Is there one that people like better, the MyCalibrator or the SCT X4? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RidinDrty said:

Thank you for the response. I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have never had a car tuned before.. So since you have the Livernois tune, does that mean that you bought the Livernois "My Calibrater" tuner? Or can you buy an X4 and still get the livernois tune? If so, Is there one that people like better, the MyCalibrator or the SCT X4? 

Not a stupid question. I’d never tuned a car either. So with unleashed, once it’s shipped you’ll receive instructions in your email on what to do. Once you get the tuner you can either do over wifi or, like me, your computer. Download the software he links in the email, hook up your tuner, update it and if you decide to get the tune mailed to you, download the tune, hook it to your car and follow the directions. It was insanely easy. I went with unleashed because he builds a tune custom to your vehicles mods. I believe, from what I’ve read on here, that livernois is a canned tune so they tuned it on their stock edge and send it to you where as unleashed asks for all your mods, preferred gas and then builds your tune to that. It took me about 30 minutes total and that was because I wasn’t able to do wifi and had some issues, I called the tuners customer support and they resolved my problem in less than 5 minutes. Super easy. Plus, now with the tuner, I can read the codes myself and reset and errors if needed. So far I haven’t had to touch it since I installed the tune a few weeks ago. I floored it from a stoplight onto the interstate today, feels so gooooood.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RidinDrty said:

Livernois uses the mycalibrator exclusively.

Unleashed Tuning uses SCT or HPTuners.

ZFG uses HPTuners

BCB uses HPTuners or SCT

Tuning by James uses SCT

Not all tunes are created equal etc. Some prefer using a device that they can use between tuners. Some have their preferred tuner and prefer brand loyalty etc. It will ultimately boil down what mods you have/ want. 

If your not planning on doing any mods apart from the run of the mill mods then Livernois will rock your world. I believe that the second and third fastest edge used LMS when they ran. (basically traction mods, a thermostat)  On some forums some say Unleashed feels faster (butt dyno) than LMS. YMMV

On the flip side of the equation, the worlds fastest edge which incidentally is also the worlds most modded edge uses ZFG.

Unleashed BCB and ZFG and Tuning by James will tune your car specifically, meaning that your tune is made exclusively for your car and the mods you have.  If you're going to go with with larger turbos, catless down pipes, meth, or anything that is not off the shelf, then you're going to want to go with a tuner that will run logs and makes incremental adjustments accordingly.

LMS doesn't seem to play nice with mods that they can't tune by dyno.  One member lost their motor and other members on other forums etc. Not saying that LMS is bad, quite the contrary. They're good at what they do.

If you want to blaze your own path and define your vision of the sport in our edge sports then you should select a tuner that will grow with you and tune accordingly.

HTH

• Like 2

23 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Livernois uses the mycalibrator exclusively.

Unleashed Tuning uses SCT or HPTuners.

ZFG uses HPTuners

BCB uses HPTuners or SCT

Tuning by James uses SCT

Not all tunes are created equal etc. Some prefer using a device that they can use between tuners. Some have their preferred tuner and prefer brand loyalty etc. It will ultimately boil down what mods you have/ want. 

If your not planning on doing any mods apart from the run of the mill mods then Livernois will rock your world. I believe that the second and third fastest edge used LMS when they ran. (basically traction mods, a thermostat)  On some forums some say Unleashed feels faster (butt dyno) than LMS. YMMV

On the flip side of the equation, the worlds fastest edge which incidentally is also the worlds most modded edge uses ZFG.

Unleashed BCB and ZFG and Tuning by James will tune your car specifically, meaning that your tune is made exclusively for your car and the mods you have.  If you're going to go with with larger turbos, catless down pipes, meth, or anything that is not off the shelf, then you're going to want to go with a tuner that will run logs and makes incremental adjustments accordingly.

LMS doesn't seem to play nice with mods that they can't tune by dyno.  One member lost their motor and other members on other forums etc. Not saying that LMS is bad, quite the contrary. They're good at what they do.

If you want to blaze your own path and define your vision of the sport in our edge sports then you should select a tuner that will grow with you and tune accordingly.

HTH

Great information,  very helpful. Thanks very much to everyone who chimed in, I truly appreciate you taking the time.  I ended up ordering the SCT X4 from Unleashed today and I will get a 93 tune.  I can't wait!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidinDrty said:

Great information,  very helpful. Thanks very much to everyone who chimed in, I truly appreciate you taking the time.  I ended up ordering the SCT X4 from Unleashed today and I will get a 93 tune.  I can't wait!!

You made a excellent choice. I haven't heard any negative things about Torrie! If and when you out grow your Unleashed tune, you can shop tuners that use   SCT!

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To answer the question, yeah I use the MyCalibrator Touch.  

Also just for relevance to any future readers of the thread, the member in question who lost his motor did extensive upgrades to the turbos and airflow of the engine, and used a tune designed for a stock/very mildly modified engine.  LMS tunes are very good at correcting for different fuels and based on knock seen or not, but no ECU other than the aftermarket standalones like Haltech will save an engine from major airflow changes.  Example: throw a bigger turbo on a stock Ecoboost mustang and crank the boost up, it'll cost you the engine.  Not Ford's fault per say.  

I've watched mine like a hawk because I'm a DSM'er and that's kinda what we have to do, and I never see knock or etc.  It's amazing the tech built into these engines.  

With that said, all tuners no matter how good will have issues.  There are freak events that happen, stuff changes, and cars come with safe stock tunes for a reason.  That's why ALL tuners provide a disclaimer saying no warranty is offered and no coverage for blown engines or engine damage.  It's the risk you take.  

Livernois, Unleashed, BCB, etc, all are a great option.  :) For a stock or lightly modified Edge(intake/exhaust/minor stuff), any of them you can't go wrong with.  Go with whichever meets your budget.  For me, the ease and use of the LMS tuner (and their customer service) completely won me over.  I've gotten no lie probably 10 tunes from Anthony @ LMS, all for free, and all with absolute ease where other tuners will charge you for more than what they originally included with your bundle.  He's also called me personally and talked me through how to recover the ECU because I was an idiot and left the trailer harness plugged in(or the radio on), and the ECU got ticked off at me when trying to upload new tunes.  Never got irritated, never made me wait.  Instant service, instant gratification.  When I get an Explorer ST, I will be going with LMS to tune it too. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

actually several have lost their ecoboost motors to LMS tunes, dyno tuned or not. but all were in the pursuit of power levels well above the "max" most tend to run, with methanol and ethanol and whatnot.  just goes to show you take your chances, no matter who you go with.

and in tuning, always expect non-fatal hiccups along the way. we like to believe that every powertrain that comes out of the factory is an identical clone, but such is often not the case.  ford makes many unadvertised changes during production runs, some of which can catch you unawares.  MACT has pointed out many along the way in his journey with the 2011s ? so be patient, and you will get the results you want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1