Cabin Air Filter location ?

EdgeLover

I'll trade it for an oil filter, and a mask, I got a few FRAM oil filters in Wallmart the other day for $3.00 on a sale as they were relocating merchnadise.....but only if it is better than the Motorcraft one...That one is pretty flimsy and the holes are too big, I want one HEPA/NASA Compatible... :shades:

• 5 weeks later...

For the ones that still do not beleive the effectiveness of any cabin air filter, just take a look at this thread, 19K miles on one of our Ford Edge's, see that filter, and there is no way to even know if it was previously replaced or it was the factory installed one. I'm assuming it will be the stock, as otherwise the prior owner was simply a pig...wondering where all that nice "black mess" would be otherwise:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...ic=3531&hl=

well yeah.. wear around a paper breather over your mouth for a few months and you will see the same result in the end. icky "black mess". So sure, will a filter catch stuff if you put it in a place between an air flow to catch stuff? well sure it will. does it matter at the end of the day in the larger scheme of things given you step out of you car and spend any time outside in comparison? I say, no.

well yeah.. wear around a paper breather over your mouth for a few months and you will see the same result in the end. icky "black mess". So sure, will a filter catch stuff if you put it in a place between an air flow to catch stuff? well sure it will. does it matter at the end of the day in the larger scheme of things given you step out of you car and spend any time outside in comparison? I say, no.

Of course, that is the reason they exist, to remove harmfull contaminants from our breathing, Lex, you can say what you want (and we could say also that you are wrong, and personally, this time, I'm incline to believe so, as car manufacturers, air conditioner manufaturers, etc...do not want to spend money if they were not necesary) other point to consider is that you are not only protecting yourself, but IIRC from my short incursion in that field, you are also protecting the radiators of the air conditioner and heater, as this same air flow through them after being filtered, from getting clogged by that dust, and particles...

Regardless of personal beleif, there is a fact that nobody can deny, this garbage that we see there, would be in any other place, and honestly, personally I preffer it to be trapped there....of course that will not free you of any other danger that we are expose daily, bird flu, pig flu, anthrax, etc... :finger:

Lex, even you can't out-talk this guy. Don't bother trying. Lets just stay home and be safe.

Update, I've got it! I am going to encase my edge in an airtight oversized hamster ball and roll around town laughing at all the contaminant-breathing fools I see.

Edited by scootertoo21

Lex, even you can't out-talk this guy. Don't bother trying. Lets just stay home and be safe.

Update, I've got it! I am going to encase my edge in an airtight oversized hamster ball and roll around town laughing at all the contaminant-breathing fools I see.

:hysterical: yes, I am coming to that conclusion... but I am doing you one better.. this is now my daily attire.. certainly do not want to breath 1 single fresh air particle seeing as it is apparently so deadly - even though the statistics do not exist for all the horrible deaths attributed to dirty air in your cars cabin :)

SuperStock_1555R-147002.jpg

Edited by Lex Talionis

I do not see why you guys feel that what the majority of people in the whole green round planet earth, our world, accepted as a reality many years back, air is contaminated, by many things, some are removed by filters and others not, but there is nothing wrong in a fact.

Air filters are made everyday in all countries for a purpose, there is an industry and an R&D behind that, and a lot of money as well, thye are installed and replaced everyday, and used all around for a purpose. Of course that we can not filter all the air in the planet in one shot, but at least try to filter the one you can, period. If you feel that is no needed, so be it, but do not try to dismiss an argument that have been proved to death, and accepted by people that the less thing they want is to spend money in things that are not useful...

So is illogical to place a filter in the car cabin or in the home air conditioner, to remove the dust, but is perfectly fine and logical, to have weapons home, and even carry them around...Some kind of a cowboy 18 century mentality!!! :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

The airborne filth in Long Beach is unbelievable. My house air filter turns pure black in just a couple weeks. Driving down the road you are inhaling asbestos and kevlar brake dust fines. Now it is not that big a deal granted, but I am very happy to have my cabin air filtered out. If for nothing else, to grab the black dust in my area which is coming from the Port of LB and LA as well as the nearby 710 Freeway.

• 1 month later...
Thank you for everybody responded to my question, especially big thank to MKX2007.

I followed your steps and I got access to my cabin air filter and replaced it myself.

However, I needed an extra step on my 2007 EDGE, which was to release a string hook.

So my complete procedure looks like this......

"To remove the glovebox door, open glovebox door, release a string hook on upper right corner then you need to squeeze the upper rear corners inward & the door will come forward & lift completely off. ....."

The string attached to the glovebox, so when you open the box, the box dropped with a hydraulic feels. Maybe you don't have this in your MKX.

To give people some idea, I took pictures.

The first picture is the Cabin Air Filter. I paid $11.88 on Amazon.

The 2nd picture is the area after glovebox been completely removed.

The 3rd picture is same as 2nd but with filter access door opened showing location of filter.

PICT1609.jpg

Thank you for your post on this issue. My 2007 has 50K and thought the dealer had been looking at this. I guess that is why we should do our own maintenance. The MKX does have the tension string discussed in the thread whereas maybe the edge doesn't. Thanks to everyone who is a whole lot smarter than me for contributing to the web site to help others. Your effort is greatly appreciated.

PICT1615.jpg

maintenance. The MKX does have the tension string discussed in the thread whereas maybe the edge doesn't. Thanks to everyone who is a whole lot smarter than me for contributing to the web site to help others. Your effort is greatly appreciated.

PICT1613.jpg

Edited by notasinger

• 3 weeks later...

i was just in lowe's looking around and while scanning furnace filters, i noticed they have a furnace filter kit that includes sheets of activated carbon to help eliminate smells.

so, i got to thinking, maybe if i bought one and cut the carbon sheet to the size of the particulate filter it might help a little bit.

over kill ya think?

or, would it reduce the air flow too much?

i was just in lowe's looking around and while scanning furnace filters, i noticed they have a furnace filter kit that includes sheets of activated carbon to help eliminate smells.

so, i got to thinking, maybe if i bought one and cut the carbon sheet to the size of the particulate filter it might help a little bit.

over kill ya think?

or, would it reduce the air flow too much?

try it out you can always remove it if it cuts down airflow to much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I mean you have to see it to believe it, it is completely flimsy, I'm not against of those filters to be so thin, as they can be well done, and remove particles anyway, but in this case is both, it is thin, and on top the holes are not so small so the particles will go inside the vehicle...

Not that it should be HEPA, but honestly any piece of 1.4 foam will do a better job than this stupid filter...and on top $16.00....TYC offers a OE replacement for $3.74, and I trusting Motorcraft did not get it, but see below the specs:

51NCXPE8y7L._SS400_.jpg

In my opinion what Honda does, do not justify others to do the same, two wrongs do not make a right, let Honda do what they want, that was in the first instance why I opted for a Ford and not for a Honda, I have worked in a repair shop/gas station in the past, and I have seen the owners to suffer the devastating repair costs. I recall once $72.00 for just a ball bearing imported from Japan...the NASA uses cheaper parts IIRC....LOL....

Thanks for all that information. I just ordered 3 of the TYC filters for $17.66 including shipping charges! I opened mine up tonight and it was as dirty as I've ever seen a filter. Bought the 2008 edge used with 17K miles on it --- guess no one ever looked at the CAF---

There's no reason for a small cheap looking filter like that to cost more than 5 bucks! So far I've had 3 vehicles with these rip-off filters and one day, I really got pissed off and made a few of them out of a large 6 buck furnace filter. Cut them to size and used tape for the edges. My Toyota Sienna never knew the difference! :happy feet:

The TYC filters showed up in today's mail. It's hard to tell the difference between the OE filter and the TYC other than the fact that the TYC is clean!

I ordered them last Thursday night and received them today! Excellent service and no need to spend big bucks on a filter that can be bought for a little over 5 bucks apiece including shipping! :happy feet: :hysterical:

• 2 months later...

The TYC filters showed up in today's mail. It's hard to tell the difference between the OE filter and the TYC other than the fact that the TYC is clean!

I ordered them last Thursday night and received them today! Excellent service and no need to spend big bucks on a filter that can be bought for a little over 5 bucks apiece including shipping! :happy feet: :hysterical:

I inspected my filter at 30K and it was surprisingly clean (the desert is very dirty) so I just washed it off in the sink. Do the same for similar filters on my computers which get much dirtier. Not a very impressive looking filter and I can't see paying money for one if a good rinse will return it to new. Unless you can find a better filter.

Edited by rboe

• 3 weeks later...

I have been getting a musky smell in my 08 edge. I changed the filtter and it was still their. the dealer said the AC will build up mold so the ran an ionizer thru the system and it cleaned up the smell. rhey didi the work for free during an oil chage. I have also been told i could spray liysoil in the clean air intake to acheave the same out come. Just an FYI>>>>>

I have been getting a musky smell in my 08 edge. I changed the filtter and it was still their. the dealer said the AC will build up mold so the ran an ionizer thru the system and it cleaned up the smell. rhey didi the work for free during an oil chage. I have also been told i could spray liysoil in the clean air intake to acheave the same out come. Just an FYI>>>>>

The musty smell is from no running the A/C on outside air. Running on recirculate will cause lots of mildew build-up on the evaporator and give you that great smell you have. The automatic Temperature Control System will handle that for you as long as you leave the system in Auto.

On the standard system, take the temperature control off the re-circulate position after the vehicle cools down or heats up.

FYI

• 3 weeks later...

Just replaced ours on an 07 MKX 29,000mi. Looked real bad. If it were an engine air filter the car probably wouldnt have run. :wacko:

Thanks to all for the pics and info. Made the job quick & easy.

Later, Bill

Oh ya, It did make a noticeable in the air flow. Didnt realize it was lowered as I got the car 9 mos ago. Wont wait so long next time.......

Edited by kempie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not to revive this thread but I just changed my cabin filter.....it was disgusting. I never changed it never knew it exist until started researching this weird smell in the car.

Thanks you guys for this very informational thread.

Thanks for the info. I just had a child, and also found that i have either mold or mildew on my dash board.. :cry: so from what i read you are supposed to use air from outside???