Cabin Air Filter location ?

EdgeLover

Thanks for the info. I just had a child, and also found that i have either mold or mildew on my dash board.. :cry: so from what i read you are supposed to use air from outside???

Yes. It's not a good idea to run in recirculate mode all the time. Although I've never heard of a mold problem just from that. There must be something else going on.

• 1 month later...

I wish I had seen this thread earlier.

When I took my '08 Edge Limited in for the 15,000 mi. service and asked about the cabin air filter, I was told that my model did not have the flter. OK on my way.

15k later, I'm in for the 30k service and I'm told that they do not have a filter but it is on order. I ask about the original statment of my Edge not having the filter. No one seems to know until a more experienced tech shows the FNG where to find it.

I go back this morning to have it installed and one, two three they replace the old one with a new one to the tune of $26.52 and that is w/o labor! :rant:

After reading this thread, I went out and figured out how to remove my glove box and access the filter. :rockon:

That's the last time my dealer gets $26.52 for one of those things.

Thanks to those who posted the info on locating the filter.

Thank you for everybody responded to my question, especially big thank to MKX2007.

I followed your steps and I got access to my cabin air filter and replaced it myself.

However, I needed an extra step on my 2007 EDGE, which was to release a string hook.

So my complete procedure looks like this......

"To remove the glovebox door, open glovebox door, release a string hook on upper right corner then you need to squeeze the upper rear corners inward & the door will come forward & lift completely off. ....."

The string attached to the glovebox, so when you open the box, the box dropped with a hydraulic feels. Maybe you don't have this in your MKX.

To give people some idea, I took pictures.

The first picture is the Cabin Air Filter. I paid $11.88 on Amazon.

The 2nd picture is the area after glovebox been completely removed.

The 3rd picture is same as 2nd but with filter access door opened showing location of filter.

PICT1609.jpg

PICT1615.jpg

PICT1613.jpg

Using your instructions, I've been able to get the GB door off, but when I look at the access door cover

you give no specific instructions on how to remove the door. I see some type of tab on the left (also

in your photo #2) but how do you detach the tab?

• 1 month later...

Using your instructions, I've been able to get the GB door off, but when I look at the access door cover

you give no specific instructions on how to remove the door. I see some type of tab on the left (also

in your photo #2) but how do you detach the tab?

It is easy. Remove the string and then push in on the flexible sides and it will pop right out.

• 2 weeks later...

haven't done a "search" just yet, just in case i get side tracked. after taking out the dirty filter, i vacuumed it off (REALLY clean now) and reinstalled it, now we can hear the blower motor making WAY to much noise. the wife thought something was wrong, i double, and triple checked and everything is correct. is it just noisey and i've forgot what it sounds like when new, or did i do something wrong? surely cleaning the thing didn't take out more than what was needed. only hear the droaning noise when on the top 2-3 level settings.

the filter was pretty dirty, but not as bad as my 08 hyundai accent, it was VERY dirty. think this will improve MPG? haha.

EDIT: when i removed it the first time i could see a leaf laying on top of the filter, as i pulled it out i thought it had fallen off, but once it was out there the leaf set. fast forward to just a minute ago, i reached into the fan and found the leaf that HAD fallen in. Problem solved.

Edited by bulldog

• 3 weeks later...

2008 Edge SE with manual A/C and 26,000 miles:

Thanks for the information on the cabin air filter. I went to look for mine yesterday and easily located it behind the glove box. After opening and unloading contents of the glove box the first step was to detatch that string on the right side of the glove box, but that was very easy -- I just maneuvered the black disk on the right side of the glove box down into the empty cut-out circle below it and was able to push the plastic disk through the right side of the glove box and that disconnected the spring-loaded string from the glove box. Then, with the glove box open, all I had to do was pull inward on both of the upper sides to allow the stops to get past the hole in the dash, after which the entire glove box fell right out onto the floor. There are 3 or 4 hinge points at the bottom of the glove box on which it pivots.

With the glove box removed I could see the black plastic door covering the cabin air filter. I tried pushing the small black plastic lever on the left side of this door over to the left but the door wouldn't come off. Then I got a slotted screwdriver and inserted it into the space next to this little latch on the left side of the access door and the door popped right off. Inside, I could see only a screen, not a filter. It was a simple matter of pulling the screen out, cleaning it using the sprayer in the kitchen sink, drying it with paper towels and reinstalling everything in the reverse order of disassembly. Since this was the first time I did this job it took about 30 minutes.

This was the first time I'd cleaned this screen in 26,000 miles. It was dirty, but not unusually so. I think I could do the whole job again in under ten minutes. I don't think I would ever bother with buying and installing a filter in addition to, or in place of, the screen that's already in there.

Later on, I looked at my owner's manual to see what it had to say about the cabin air filter. On page 80, under 'Climate Controls,' it states:

CABIN AIR FILTER (IF EQUIPPED)

The cabin air filter element is designed to reduce the concentration of airborne particles such as dust, spores and pollen in the air being supplied to the interior of the vehicle. The presence of a particulate filter element provides the following benefits:

•  
  • Improves your driving comfort by reducing particle concentration.
  • Improves the interior compartment cleanliness.
  • Protects the climate control components from particle deposits.

NOTE: A cabin air filter must be installed at all times to prevent foreign objects from entering the system. Running the system without a filter in place could result in degradation or damage to the system. If your vehicle is not equipped with a cabin air filter, a protective screen has been provided in its place and must remain installed at all times.

The access door for the filter is located behind the glove box. For replacement intervals regarding the cabin air filter, see the scheduled maintenance information. For more information regarding your filter, see yoru authorized dealer.

I looked in the 'Scheduled Maintenance Guide' and it tells me to replace the cabin air filter (if equipped) every 15,000 miles. I guess I'll just clean the screen at that frequency.

Thanks to all for the how to on replacing the cabin filter. It was a piece of cake and I'm not really mechanically inclined. Took less than 10 minutes. I have the screen and it was really dirty. Cleaned it and It seems like I'm getting more air through the vents.Thanks.

• 7 months later...

I have a 2007 EDGE FWD-SEL +. I would like to change the Cabin Air Filter myself. I know my Edge has one becasue under Key Standard Equipment section of the original window sticker includes an item "Particulate Air Filter". The owner manual says "The access door for the filter is located behind the glove box." I opened glove box, but I couldn't find the access. Can somebody here tell me how to get access of Cabin Air Filter? Thank you in advance.

hey guys!..this is xtremedge808 way back 2007..I also had the same problem about my ac that was not blowing enough air to cool down my car. my 2007 ford edge didn't came with an equipped cabin air filter,but it came with an air filter plastic screen mesh above the blower motor.

procedure how to...a simple

1.remove the glove box and you will gain an access to the blower motor air filter mesh.

2. remove the air filter cover by unlatching the pins at the left side corner of the cover.

3.find the thin squarish, black, plastic, with white plastic looking filter above the blower motor.

4.remove the filter ,and wash with soapy water until the dirt particles clears the filter

5.after washing the filter, let it dry with a microfiber towel.

6.install the filter side that indicates the top side end of it..above the blower motor!

7.install back the air filter cover

8.install the glove box!

9. CONGRATULATIONS YOUR A/C BLOWS LIKE BLIZZARD!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was so disgusted by the weak air flow that I was about to trade the car in. But then I was told about the in cabin air filter. I took the glove box out and pulled the filter out and it was completely caked up. I used an air compressor, and even that took some effort, but once it was cleaned out, it was like magic! The air flow quadrupled, and it didn't cost me a cent. Definitely worth a check! I have never had to change or clean one of these in any vehicle before, so it was a surprise. That's another reason the glove box door seems to make a difference because the blower is behind it.

• 1 month later...

OK, we fell for it too. Our salesman said no cabin air filter in 2007 Edges. The book said change it if equipped; well, not equipped, so nothing to do. But it is now 2011 and the A/C performance has gotten really bad. Thought it might need a recharge of refrigerant, but no, the air output temp was 46F. Checked this forum and went looking for the cabin air filter. Didn't find a filter but, wonder of wonders, I did find something flat. Took it out and cleaned it up and guess what I saw --- a screen inside all of the debris. Put the screen back in and now the A/C works good as new. I wonder why we had to find out the hard way?

Well, never mind, it's working good now.

This is the third time this forum has saved me Lotsa$$$. Thank you FordEdgeForum.

OK, we fell for it too. Our salesman said no cabin air filter in 2007 Edges. The book said change it if equipped; well, not equipped, so nothing to do. But it is now 2011 and the A/C performance has gotten really bad. Thought it might need a recharge of refrigerant, but no, the air output temp was 46F. Checked this forum and went looking for the cabin air filter. Didn't find a filter but, wonder of wonders, I did find something flat. Took it out and cleaned it up and guess what I saw --- a screen inside all of the debris. Put the screen back in and now the A/C works good as new. I wonder why we had to find out the hard way?

Well, never mind, it's working good now.

This is the third time this forum has saved me Lotsa$$$. Thank you FordEdgeForum.

https://www.logical-source.com/2007-ford-edge-8770.html

The above link will allow you to buy the filters for $3.91 each + shipping--- I just got 3 from them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just wanted to BUMP this thread to add that Rock Auto now has an inexpensive charcoal filter for the Edge for $7.03 (plus shipping) and I bought 2 of them. For the slight increase in price over the standard paper filter, I thought I'd give it a try. Using all the member's info here, it took me less than 10 minutes to replace with no tools necessary.

It fit perfectly in my 2008 SEL AWL w/Auto Climate Control. It's dimensions are exactly the same as the OEM filter. Once installed, my system blows 5X harder!

Just wanted to BUMP this thread to add that Rock Auto now has an inexpensive charcoal filter for the Edge for $7.03 (plus shipping) and I bought 2 of them. For the slight increase in price over the standard paper filter, I thought I'd give it a try. Using all the member's info here, it took me less than 10 minutes to replace with no tools necessary.

It fit perfectly in my 2008 SEL AWL w/Auto Climate Control. It's dimensions are exactly the same as the OEM filter. Once installed, my system blows 5X harder!

Sweet... thanks! I need to pick one of these up.... cheaper than the Motorcraft filters

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...