Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

It is happening. I have been doing a lot of research and design into an air box that will fit both the Edge ST and the Sport. The design may change but as of now it is all about adaptors. Adaptors for the filter that have to be fabricated and welded. Adaptors for the filter that has to be molded . I am working on the mold now and it is much easier than the V2 intake mold. I learned so much with the V2 that this time I know what to expect and the daily surprises should be less.

***** Update  5-8 -21 The design has changed  and fitment into the ST has not been re - established . I really want it to fit , but I have no access to a ST at this time to check for fit. Now is the time as once the molds are made I am locked in . It would take about 20 min to check and make notes.   Anyone in the Los Angeles area that has a ST and would like to help please PM me.

Some of the parameters for the air box:

1. It must be easy to install and something anyone can do.

2. It must require a minimum of tools to install. Right now the tools needed are a 7mm and 8mm nut driver, wrench or socket, and a big hammer...LOL. Just kidding about the big hammer.

3. It must move more air than stock with less restriction,.

4. t must look good !

As I don't want my ideas copied by a big company this thread will help establish my “ intellectual property “

Here is some info about the air filter:  It can move over twice the air as the stock filter and will be available in a wet or dry configuration.

2.7EB FILTER.PNG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 9

2.75 to 3 inch SS adaptor that will be used in the mach up adapting the filter to the car. They may or may not be used in the final form, I am still figuring things out.  . I may end up using mandrel  bent aluminum tube to align the filter to the car if I can’t get these straight reducers to line up. These cost three times 

less than the mandrel bent tube and there is no welding. needed.   keeping the cost down is important 

2.75 to 3 Inch SS Adaptor.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

I have made substantial progress, though in the photos it looks way more complete than it is . I still need to add the sensor and gaskets and latches and adaptors and much, much more than you see in the photos. What you do see is a mockup and fitting of a 10 pound filter in a giant air box stuffed into in a 5 pound bag. And it fits :happyfeet: I have been working on this all week there is a long way to go but today was a major breakthrough and it is going to look like a factory setup when complete. You may notice that I am still using the snorkel. I am doing this because it feeds air into the large cavity at the bottom of the air box allowing for the air to distribute evenly and it acts like a plenum or manifold. Though some have bypassed the snorkel all the air still has to get through that little slot in the bulkhead that the snorkel attaches too and that is the great equalizer, no matter what direction the air comes in. And that is what the V2 intake helps with, feeding the snorkel. The V2 Intake and V3 Air Box work hand in hand to make a complete system. 

That is one big filter. :ohsnap: It can flow over  twice the air as OEM

V3 AIR BOX - 10 POUNDS IN A 5 POUND SACK.jpg

Sneak peek of the V3 Air Box in place.  Here I am checking the alignment of the filter to the car. It is looking like It is going to be mandrel bent 6061 aluminum tube with a home made reducer welded on. It is expensive to do it that way but right now it is looking like that is the only choice.  You can see that the snorkel is in place and it is not modified to allow putting the car back to stock when on the street or at smog checks. This system is not street legal and is for off road use only.;) 

V3 AIR BOX ALIGNMENT.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

I won't know for sure if it will fit the ST but i am hopeful . My first design I was sure that it would fit the ST and all the 2.7EB Edges, but this new design is cleaner and we won't know until we try . I will have to find someone with a ST to try it out when I get the air box into production. I am fairly sure that someone will want to test fit it for me...Anyone out there with an ST in the Los Angeles area? Oh, and now that I have had this breakthrough with the air box I can get back to trimming and shipping the V2 intakes..

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Sometimes I wonder , I guess I was so excited that the air box fit that I forgot to measure the angel of the adaptor tubes. That is something that can only be done when the V3 air box is installed. Now I will have to reinstall it to know how much to bend the tubes, then take it out and reinstall the OEM air box just so I can drive the car. Once I have those angles the elbow reducers can be fabricated, and it will be one step closer. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Sometimes I wonder , I guess I was so excited that the air box fit that I forgot to measure the angel of the adaptor tubes. That is something that can only be done when the V3 air box is installed. Now I will have to reinstall it to know how much to bend the tubes, then take it out and reinstall the OEM air box just so I can drive the car. Once I have those angles the elbow reducers can be fabricated, and it will be one step closer. 

FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3

After cutting out the V2 intakes . I put some time into the Air box. and made some more progress. I got the latches sorted outs and working and I am pleased with their fit and finish. I still need a gasket though, but that is no problem. One problem with  the latches is that the snorkel gets in the way. of opening one of them. So the air box has to be installed as a complete unit . This is no problem, but to check the filter the entire air box has to be removed. Lucky it is not something that has to be done very often. It is easy enough to do, but it is not ideal. A small concession for the expected increase in performance.

This time I did not forget to measure the angle of the elbow reducers. Now I can make the adapters / elbow reducers to connect the car to the air box.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Xtra said:

LOl, its situations like this that make me appreciate my winter beater/grocery getter that's insured 12 months of the year.

• Like 1

I've been gone for awhile, but what an awesome thing to come back to!  Soon as this is complete I'll throw in an order for it.  Maybe it'll work out that when I'm done moving and everything that I can order both the cowl and this intake at one time!  Awesome that you took my advice. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSCOSC said:

Is the new box much wider than the factory one? I have a 94r battery in there which is the largest you can fit in the tray, there is a hole for the bracket and everything. 

20210501_195520.jpg

No worries the air box is much bigger in every direction , but it does not interfere with the battery tray.  If the battery fits into the stock tray the air box should still fit.  I am running a oversize battery as well, I think it is an H6 the 94R is an H7 a bit larger than mine. I will look next time I test fit the air box to see what's up and report back. 

• Thanks 1

The 2.75 OD to 3inch OD stainless steel straight reducers arrived and they fit perfectly. They can be cut and welded to make the angle. The 2.75 mandrel bent aluminum elbows I ordered are tight radius, but may take up too much room, and  only testing will tell what direction to go. I am awaiting the arrival of the elbows.

SS REDUCERS.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, Xtra said:

The 2.75 OD to 3inch OD stainless steel straight reducers arrived and they fit perfectly. They can be cut and welded to make the angle. The 2.75 mandrel bent aluminum elbows I ordered are tight radius, but may take up too much room, and  only testing will tell what direction to go. I am awaiting the arrival of the elbows.

SS REDUCERS.jpg

Awww yeah. Now thats what Im talking about. Minus the accordians that is. Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duece McCracken said:

Awww yeah. Now thats what Im talking about. Minus the accordians that is. Lol

Silicon hoses are compatible with this system,  but I am not doing that as part of this project. They can always be added later . 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

The mandrel bent elbows arrived today. They are 2.75 OD with 0.065 wall 6061-T6 aluminum with 20, 35, and 45 degree short radius bends. I will have to test fit them to find the best ones to use before fabrication into reducers. They are smooth bends that keep the full 2.75OD throughout, for best air flow. They are ideal... if there is room for them. The only drawback is the co$$t, by the time they are cut, welded and fabricated into reducers they are expensive! The alternative is to cut the stainless steel straight reducers and weld them back together at the proper angle, not as smooth a transition, but much more affordable. Perhaps offer both to have a choice . Remember that this is being developed and expect things to change now and then. Success and failure will all be seen. 

2.75%22  MANDREL BENT ELBOW TUBES .JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Xtra said:

The mandrel bent elbows arrived today. They are 2.75 OD with 0.065 wall 6061-T6 aluminum with 20, 35, and 45 degree short radius bends. I will have to test fit them to find the best ones to use before fabrication into reducers. They are smooth bends that keep the full 2.75OD throughout, for best air flow. They are ideal... if there is room for them. The only drawback is the co$$t, by the time they are cut, welded and fabricated into reducers they are expensive! The alternative is to cut the stainless steel straight reducers and weld them back together at the proper angle, not as smooth a transition, but much more affordable. Perhaps offer both to have a choice . Remember that this is being developed and expect things to change now and then. Success and failure will all be seen. 

2.75%22  MANDREL BENT ELBOW TUBES .JPG

Well, with the complications of having twin spoolie bois, I expected this project to have a substantial price tag.

I'm still here, waiting to throw fistfulls of money for one. Lol

• Like 2

On 5/5/2021 at 8:50 AM, Duece McCracken said:

Well, with the complications of having twin spoolie bois, I expected this project to have a substantial price tag.

I'm still here, waiting to throw fistfulls of money for one. Lol

Have you talked with Ramfab on these parts? He can make this really quick out of aluminum and powder coat it pretty cheap. Or even leave it bare metal. He lives 10 minutes from my house and has made a few pieces for me already, and if you need to test anything let me know and I'll help! 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, bryantgbell said:

Have you talked with Ramfab on these parts? He can make this really quick out of aluminum and powder coat it pretty cheap. Or even leave it bare metal. He lives 10 minutes from my house and has made a few pieces for me already, and if you need to test anything let me know and I'll help! 

How much does he charge for the upper intercooler pipe, and do you think he'd be interested in making hard intake pipes for the turbos to go along with Xtra's hard work?  Our intercooler piping situation is in need of some quality, sub-$1000 set of intercooler and intake pipes.  

Honestly I think with a quality turbo-back exhaust, hard intercooler and intake pipes(maybe with some heat wrap too), an intercooler, and a really good tune on E these cars could be even faster.  I dream of a future with Xtra's intake box and cowl, hard intercooler/intake pipes, and a complete turbo-back exhaust for everyone.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, bryantgbell said:

Im running his coldside, fantastic guy to work with!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bryantgbell said:

I appreciate your offer, do you know If Ramfab has a mandrel tube bender?  It is a specialized piece of equipment, and it needs to make short radius bends, not all of them can do that. The shorter the radius the better.  

***I have just sent him an email to find out .  

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1