Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

I also made some subtle changes to the mold.

This rounded corner was difficult for the ABS to wrap around smoothly.

IMG_9569.thumb.JPG.f9dfbdabaeb40921d9a4af135081866b.JPG

The outside corners are now square. The mold needs wet sanding and polishing before it will be ready to mount to the wood box.  

IMG_9708.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Dropped off the completed Adapter mold at the plastic shop today. They were unusually busy and won’t be able to get to it for at least a couple weeks. They are going to use the thicker ABS this time and hopefully it will be good on the first try.  If that works,  I will refine the latches and catches and make some jigs for them. And with a little luck have a finished working  V3 Adapter prototype ready to test.  

• Like 1

Although the Adaptor mold is at the plastic shop I was still able to make some progress.

I bought a new cutout tool,  Harborfreight's version of a RotoZip tool . The depth gauge is used to align the bit on the jig. It is basically a small hand held router. 

IMG_9758.JPG

With this cutout tool and  jig I can make precision cuts that don't require very much touch up after cutting. 

IMG_9762.JPG

The jig is used to cut this hole in the Adaptor where it connects to the OEM air box. What would have taken several min to cut, trim to size,  and finish can now be accomplished much easier.  

IMG_9764.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

What is so cool about using a jig is this is the first time I can cut on the line. I have always cut outside the line then sanded and shaped  down to the line. A labor intensive task that jigs eliminate. I am now inspired to create several jigs for the V3 Adapter . Jigs to cut with and jigs for mounting the clips and latches. It will take a bit to create them , but they will be well worth the effort. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just called the Plastic shop and they have molded a V3 Adaptor in the stronger, stiffer, thicker ABS and they say it came out great!! Better than they expected :dance:

I will pick up the part tomorrow and try to post some photos. I say try because I am having trouble downloading photos on my phone to the computer. It has been like that for a few days now. 

My plan is to create a working final prototype and to get the jigs I made done and tested. I need to get rid of the V2s in stock from this last run, to fund this V3 project  Right now I am offering $15 off on all V2s until this last run of them is sold out. There are about 4  ABS and Carbon Fiber available.

• Like 1

Got the computer tp download photos again so here is an update.

Today I picked up the thicker V3 prototype from the plastic shop and it came out great. I couldn't ask for any better, it pulled onto the mold like a champ. 

This  end of the Adaptor has many steps and corners in a small area that did not pull in as tight as I wanted on the first few attempts. Now after the changes I made to the mold and the wood box it is working perfectly,  and the part has great definition.  

IMG_9865.JPG

These are the corners that were squared up and the roundness taken out of them. In the first few attempts this was a major problem. After the rebuild of the box and mold it is fixed and working very well. 

IMG_9866.JPG

With the changes that were made to the box and to the mold, the plastic shop was able to get these great results on the vary first try.  Once I get the cutout jigs finished and the latch mounting jigs made I will do a run of 8.  It will be a complete package that will fit both the Sport and the ST 2.7 EB with your choice of Wet or Dry Air Filter, the Elbow Reducers, Clamps, Sensor, Gaskets, and the Lid. The Auxiliary Air input and Flex Hose will still be offered as an option. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, handfiler said:

Looking good Xtra ?

Thanks so much handfiler. This has been quite the endeavor to get to this point, and it is a major step getting the mold completed. I appreciate your support and it should fit your 2019  2,7EB Nautilus. ;)

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

The plastic shop told me of another person who built their own mold for the Vacuum machine and it was a horror story. The vacuum crushed the wood box and the mold split in half when they tried it. It was a complete loss. After dealing with that mess for a few hours they put my mold on the machine, and it pulled a perfect part on the first go. I think they did that to prove to the guy with the busted mold that their machine was not the problem. They found it so easy and satisfying  after that disaster they gave me the part for free !!! The first one is always free LOL... 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Xtra said:

The plastic shop told me of another person who built their own mold for the Vacuum machine and it was a horror story. The vacuum crushed the wood box and the mold split in half when they tried it. It was a complete loss. After dealing with that mess for a few hours they put my mold on the machine, and it pulled a perfect part on the first go. I think they did that to prove to the guy with the busted mold that their machine was not the problem. They found it so easy and satisfying  after that disaster they gave me the part for free !!! The first one is always free LOL... 

Everybody needs a win, here and there. Lol!

Nice work on the structurally appropriate mold!

• Like 2

Today I worked on one of the cutout jigs. This jig is used to remove the part from the sheet of ABS. It is not a critical precise cut as it will be trimmed to size later. 

Here the jig is set in place ready to go.  

IMG_9885.JPG

This is the RotoZip tool I use. It was not designed for this, but it works. I use the depth gauge to align the tool on the jig. 

IMG_9887.jpg

Once around the jig and done,  easy enough. There are still a few bugs to work out .The ABS is 2X2 and the corners kept catching the RotoZip's  electric cord as I cut, and the part that fell off could be supported to achieve a better cut. The basics are there,  I just need to perfect the process. Overall I am pleased with the results. 

IMG_9889.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

This shows just how much better the mold is working after the rebuild. 

The thicker ABS pulled in tight with better definition to the part.  The first prototype can be seen on the left, on the right the new improved version. 

IMG_9910.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Work continues. 

The clip and mount that holds the lid in place. Also have installed the edge protector on the top and the gasket on the bottom. There is no need to make a jig for any of these steps as they self align.  

IMG_9920.JPG

The rivets are backed with a galvanized washer to prevent any rust and stop pull through. 

IMG_9912.JPG

Top, bottom and one side done.. Three sides to go. 

IMG_9922.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Today I worked on the gate  ( for lack of a better word ) . No jigs were needed for this step as the gate self aligns on the lid tabs .

Here the gate is welded into place. With the gate installed, the lid can be clipped  onto the V3 Adaptor. 

IMG_9931.JPG

Added a 1/4 inch layer to the top of the gate to help hold the tabs on the lid. 

IMG_9929.JPG

Here you can see how the gate is "C " shaped in order to clear the edge protector.The 1/4 inch layer over the lid tabs can also be seen in this photo. 

The gate is much smaller and cleaner than the first prototype. It fits much better and no rivets are necessary.

IMG_9930.JPG

Next step is to work on attaching the Adaptor to the 'OEM air box.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

One more side is complete one to go. 

Added these three blocks for the OEM Air Box to catch on.   

IMG_9950.JPG

They are way more precision than the proof of concept ones on the white prototype.  They have only 0.1 for clearance or 0.050 per side. I modded the cut off top of a OEM air box to use as a jig. Yes, I bought a OEM air box and then cut it into pieces. 

IMG_9951.JPG

:)  I still have one more side that needs attention. 

IMG_9952.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Just had a meeting with the plastic shop about doing some CNC work on the V3. 

This is what I use to call the gate, now I call it the "C-Clip" because of it's shape

IMG_9961.jpg

After a few attempts at milling on my drill press I was not satisfied with the results. You can see in the photo below how the holes are not even or perfect ovals.

IMG_9962.jpg

Decided to have the  plastic shop make the complete C-Clip for me. It will be made on a CNC machine and add to the price a little, but as this part can be seen when the V3 is installed it is important for it to look good. 

IMG_9963.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

I am having a batch of four V3s molded, and they are available. PM if interested. 

The V3 fits both the 2.7 EB Sport and ST. 

The V3 will include: 

1.  The V3 Adaptor

2.  Clamps

3.  Two Aluminum Elbow Reducers

4.  Lid with Custom Sensor Mount

5.  Sensor

6.  Gasket

7.  Your choice of washable reusable Wet Filter or disposable Dry Filter.  Replacement filters are also available on line. 

8.   Detailed Install Instructions

Optional:

AUX Air Intake with modded lid, flex Hose and clamps. 

Basic install of the V3

1. Remove the OEM air filter disconnect the sensor and remove the Air Box lid from the car. 

2.  Snap the V3 onto the OEM Air Box

3. Hook up the two Elbow Reducers to the cars accordion hose

4. Plug back in the sensor

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

The plastic shop is also going to make a part I call the "J-Hook". The J-Hook is the part that the OEM Air Box clips onto. 

This is the prototype J-Hook.

I made several versions of this attachment point before settling on the J-Hook design.

You can see a different version at the bottom of the photo that required a lot of milling. 

IMG_9967.JPG

I call it the J-Hook because of it's shape. I sure made a big mess with that glue didn't I?  :shrug: lol.

It is a simple yet effective design..  

IMG_9970.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1