Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

Today was a very good day. I accomplished so much. I was able to get the draft angles set and the fit fine tuned. it is ready for a finish coat and to be transformed into a vacuum form mold.

READY FOR FINISH COAT.JPG

DRAFT ANGLES SET .JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

To test the fiberglass plug I shaped cardboard over it and hot glued it together to make a paper part. After spray painting I taped the replicate cardboard part into place on the air box, and tested it for fit.  I then cut some foam core to size and cut a port for the snorkel, and taped that into place on the air box as well. Now I had all the parts in place to test fit it into the car. I did not want to build it first then find out there were problems with the fit better to fix paper parts than ABS ones. 

CARDBOARD PART INSTALLED FOR TEST.JPG

SNORKEL TEST PORT .JPG

• Like 3

Now that all the parts were taped in place I needed to see if it would fit in the car. I decided to drill a hole for the sensor and temporally installed it as well for a full dress rehearsal. 

Here you can see just how tight a fit it is as the Air Box touches the fuse box  ( I think it is  fuse box) , but it fits. You can see the sensor hook up as well in this photo. 

V3 TOP- VIEW & SENSOR.jpg

The mandrel bent elbow reducers close up. Just because ELBOW REDUCERS.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After I test fit everything and the sensor was installed I thought ... What the heck, take it for a drive. So that is exactly what I did. I started the car checked for warning lights and went for a short 5 mile drive..:) The car seemed to quiet down some and run smoother . I did not try to set a new 0 to 60 record just drove it around . After the drive I pulled the intake and checked for any problems . The cardboard and painters tape is not very strong and if there was any thing hitting rubbing or over heating it would show quickly. Everything looked great so onward.  I put a tag on the air box only for ID . I have no intention of putting a label on it when finished. Here are a couple photos of the V2 in Carbon Fiber and the V3 working together for the first time. 

V3 AND V2 INATALLED.JPG

V2 & V3 INSTALLED.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 5

Thanks MSCOSC glad you like it. You are correct sir, the OEM snorkel does snap into the air box. It is my intention to use rubber top bulb edge gaskets. I posted a photo of the two different ones that I am considering. There is no chance of the snorkel getting out of place with the V3 because the fit is so tight it can't move that much.The main consideration is stopping any hot air from getting in.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Commenting so it updates me on posts.  This looks incredible.  This, combined with your V2 intake, and the UP intercooler would be super effective at controlling these insane engine bay temps.  

Question, have you thought of making your own snorkel too? Something to compliment the V2 intake and maybe even something that works with keeping the AGS shutters or at least only removing the drivers side top two shudders instead of the whole thing?  I really do not want to sacrifice having quick heat in the winter, but would love the benefits of a snorkel.  

Edited by CrackedDSM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

Thanks MSCOSC glad you like it.You are correct sir the OEM snorkel does snap into the air box. It is my intention to use rubber top bulb edge gaskets. 

I saw that photo I guess I just didn't realize the context.  

Have you considered making the lower box include the snorkel? or at least the part that feeds through that air inlet, I wonder if it could be integrated into one piece

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSCOSC said:

Have you considered making the lower box include the snorkel? or at least the part that feeds through that air inlet, I wonder if it could be integrated into one piece

He wouldn't be able to use vacuum forming then and costs would go up significantly I'm betting.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Perblue said:

He wouldn't be able to use vacuum forming then and costs would go up significantly I'm betting.

True that. The V3 is pushing the cost limit as it is, and I am struggling to keep the price down as much as possible. The costs are so high because I am buying so much off the shelf then modifying it. Who knows it may end up changing direction by going back and rethinking the first design in order to lower the COG  (Cost of Goods )

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, hyperc32 said:

I remember the easier days with my mustangs just removing the fender wall black plastic behind the airbox and running some a/c flex worked great... Dumb question of think of 3d printing it first? or just in general probably would keep the cost down?

I worked in product development and printed numerous prototype parts over the years. For the most part they are used to develop and test.

Larger parts require costly printers and it takes a long time to print larger parts.

• Like 2

Today I worked on the sensor mount.  Unlike the elbow reducers that needed welding all the way around this part also needs welding, but just a spot or two to lock the parts together . It will be pop riveted into place with some RTV to seal things up . 

So much fabrication in this project.

SENSOR HOLDER.jpg

The sensor just slides into place and has an O-ring to hold and seal it. Two pop rivets mounts it to the air box. 

SENSOR MOUNT .jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 5:55 PM, MSCOSC said:

Is the new box much wider than the factory one? I have a 94r battery in there which is the largest you can fit in the tray, there is a hole for the bracket and everything. 

20210501_195520.jpg

I have checked for you and fitting the V3 in with that battery will be very close, and it does look possible. Unfortunately I cannot give you a clean yes or no for fit. I guess the only way is to test fit it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MSCOSC said:

One way you can try to test is to slide your battery forward to the last available hold down point. 

That is a good idea, and easy enough to do. I will update you on this matter at a later date. I am curious as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What if ?

I was thinking ...What if the V3 was offered in real Carbon Fiber as an option. The real deal Carbon Fiber, not carbon fiber material as in the V2. I have no idea how much it would cost but it could be an option.  What do you think? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Xtra said:

What if ?

I was thinking ...What if the V3 was offered in real Carbon Fiber as an option. The real deal Carbon Fiber, not carbon fiber material as in the V2. I have no idea how much it would cost but it could be an option.  What do you think? 

Dude, you love emptying my bank account. You animal.

If you offered it, I'd have to get it. So first dibs. Its going to add complexity, so maybe doing it half in CF, or something like that. IDK.

Just tell me how much, so i can send the money. Lol

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Duece McCracken said:

. Its going to add complexity, so maybe doing it half in CF, 

It would be only the top half,  the part you see. The rest would remain the same. It would add more cost than complexity and this project is already  pushing the cost limits as it is IMO. 

• Like 2