Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

The first post of  this thread was on April 25, 2021 that means that the development part of the project using the custom bottom half took exactly 5 months to complete. The test drive was completed on September 25, 2021.  And the first 5 V3s started production  on Sept 27 and are available at this time. Obtaining the lids was difficult and I cannot  promise their availability in the future. The Adapter is currently still in the development  phase. Thanks to those that followed this thread  your encouragement kept me going when it got difficult and dirty 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, TT Steve said:

So the V3 will be complete from lid, airbox, adapters and air filter? I can see the price being up there for sure but I would be inline to get it as well.

You will meed your OEM snorkel from your air box to complete the V3, everything else is included. I am working on a price now, it has many parts and I need to break it all down. I have started to collect the parts necessary to do 5. Once all the parts come in I will add it up and divide by 5 to get a COG (cost of goods).  This will take awhile to do, but the ball is rolling . 

• Like 3

Trying to think of everything that goes into a V3. 

V3 Parts List : 

1.    Air Box Lid

2.    Lid Gasket
3.    Temp Sensor 
4.    Temp Sensor Mount
5.    Filter  -- --  Dry or Washable Oiled
6.    Filter SS Mounting Screws
7.    Filter / Reducer Elbow SS Clamps
8.    35* and 45*  Mandrel bent 6061 Aluminum Reducer Elbows
9.    Lower Half
10,  Clips to hold lid to Lower Half
11.  Bottom Patch
12.  Snorkel Patch
13.  Snorkel gasket
14.  Heat Shield

Expendables
1.  Tape
2.  Sand Paper
3.  Sanding Belt
4.  Acetone
5,   Rivets
6.  Black RTV
7.  Shipping Box
8.  Bubble Wrap

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Trying to think of everything that goes into a V3. 

V3 Parts List : 

1.    Air Box Lid

2.    Lid Gasket
3.    Temp Sensor 
4.    Temp Sensor Mount
5.    Filter  -- --  Dry or Washable Oiled
6.    Filter SS Mounting Screws
7.    Filter / Reducer Elbow SS Clamps
8.    35* and 45*  Mandrel bent 6061 Aluminum Reducer Elbows
9.    Lower Half
10,  Clips to hold lid to Lower Half
11.  Bottom Patch
12.  Snorkel Patch
13.  Snorkel gasket
14.  Heat Shield

Expendables
1.  Tape
2.  Sand Paper
3.  Sanding Belt
4.  Acetone
5,   Rivets
6.  Black RTV
7.  Shipping Box
8.  Bubble Wrap

You forgot the most important part!

❤ Love!!! Lol

Also, cough*parts of an orphan boy*cough, and thats all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Duece McCracken said:

You forgot the most important part!

❤ Love!!! Lol

Also, cough*parts of an orphan boy*cough, and thats all.

Always built with Love. I am a SpongeBob Fan and I know that is the secret in the secret recipe. Love makes everything better. Oh and thanks TT Steve,  5K sounds good to me...LOL

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Ordered one 35 and one 45 degree elbow today to see if they will work. They are the correct O.D. , and  mandrel bent to the correct angle. I don’t know the radius of the bends (need a tight radius) or the weld ability of the aluminum . If they work, they will cut the cost of the reducer elbows significantly. 

• Like 2

In the past I have witnessed others that have collected funds for a project to buy parts only have it fail, and the customers were left with nothing. To avoid that situation I am going to obtain all the parts first and start building some V3s before I have any commitments or deposits. This way I will know how much it cost to build, create a fair price, and the customer takes no chances, only I do. As it should be.  I will be reporting as parts come in. 

• Like 3

Just ordered 3 bottom halves and enough clips to do all 5 V3s. I only ordered 3 bottom halves because I am hopping that the Adaptor will work. I know that the V3 works on 2015 to 2018 2.7 Sports., but it would be great if someone with a ST would try . If that happens and it does not fit, I will give a full refund upon return of the V3 Air Box. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

Five Air Mass Sensors on the way !!

Let's see, I have ordered or have in stock so far....

5  - Lids & lid gasket,

3 -  Bottom half,

5 - Air Mass sensors

5 - Sensor mounts

10 - Clips to hold the lid to the adaptor or bottom half.

One set of test Reducer Elbows. I sure hope that these work and pass my standards for quality. 

Three inch OD aluminum tube for Reducer Elbows

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Some of you are already on a standby list and I have contacted you. There are still spots left on the list for this run, and there is no commitment to being on the list. If you change your mind, no worries at all, as there is no deposit necessary to be on the list.  Getting on the list just increases your chance of obtaining one of the V3s in this run.  PM me if you want a spot on the list. Once I have a price and the V3s are ready, I will contact those who are on the list first to see if they are still interested. After that,  I will post in this thread and open it to everyone. This list is only for this first run, after that It will work the same way I do the V2. 

*** Getting on the list does not guarantee you will get a V3 from this first run. It just increases your chances, as only 5 are available in this run.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Xtra said:

Just ordered 3 bottom halves and enough clips to do all 5 V3s. I only ordered 3 bottom halves because I am hopping that the Adaptor will work. I know that the V3 works on 2015 to 2018 2.7 Sports., but it would be great if someone with a ST would try . If that happens and it does not fit, I will give a full refund upon return of the V3 Air Box. 

PM'd you 

• Thanks 1

The two aluminum elbows came in today. The shipping was fast and I will make two reducers from these and see if they work .. ( weld and have tight enough radius bends ). 

The elbows came in these protective wraps. 

IMG_8620.JPG

They were protected because they were polished. A nice bonus that means I won't have to polish them after welding. I just have to clean them up.

These cost half of what I paid for mine. I really want them to work. They look to be high quality and have thick enough walls to weld. We will all find out soon enough. 

IMG_8622.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Was able to cut the end of the elbow with ease using the new saw. That saw is going to save me a ton of time.I did this to see the cross section of the elbow tube to get a measurement of the wall thickness, and to test fit the parts together. 

IMG_8629.JPG

The collar has to be the correct ID and OD in order to work. The elbow tube OD fits the accordion tubes on the car. The collar fits the filter. 

IMG_8631.JPG

They fit together great. 

IMG_8634.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

is the change in weight distribution going to be a significant factor in how long the joint will hold together with the airbox?

Not sure what you mean. The difference in the wall the thickness of the elbow is not so much as to cause any problems, and the welds should last forever. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Cut all the collars and trimmed the elbows to the correct length. 

The hose knurl at the end of the elbow has to be cut off for the tube to lie flat on the saw bed. 

IMG_8647.JPG

Here are 10 collars cut to size and de-burred. Thats enough to all 5 V3s.   

IMG_8637.JPG

All that is used is the bend of the elbow, the rest is scrap. Here are the two Elbow Reducers ready to be welded. I will test fit them in the car first to see if the radius of the bends works before they are welded. 

IMG_8654.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The test fit of the reducer elbows was successful . I was worried that the radius of the bend was too long and would cause a problem, but they fit great ! B) 

IMG_8659.jpg

Now all they have to do is pass the welding test, and if they weld good than I can order up enough to do all five units. 

IMG_8658.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Xtra said:

The test fit of the reducer elbows was successful . I was worried that the radius of the bend was too long and would cause a problem, but they fit great ! B) 

IMG_8659.jpg

Now all they have to do is pass the welding test, and if they weld good than I can order up enough to do all five units. 

IMG_8658.jpg

Hot dayummmm

Clean up in aisle me. Noice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had just e enough time to cut out the bottom patch.  Today was productive and a lot was accomplished. This is going much quicker than I thought . Once the design is locked in, it gets much easier . . . It got dark at 7pm and had to call it a day. I was on a roll.  

cut out.JPG

After they are cut out , they need to be trimmed to shape.

trimmed to shape.JPG

Next was a trip to the belt sander to clean them up. They still need some more TLC and a big hole drilled before they are ready. 

sanded ready for drilling.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1