Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

Lots of Ford parts are used to create the V3. 

IMG_8887.JPG

The lid is held in place with OEM clips, and the Air Temp Sensor is also OEM. This is the complete V3 as the original snorkel that came on your car is re-used. 

OEM CLIPS AND SENSOR INSTALLED.JPG

V3 with snorkel attached for test fitting. I test fit each snorkel adaptor plate several times during the build.  I do this because it is such a tight fit some people may think it does not fit at all when they try to install it themselves. When I do ship a V3 I know it will fit in the car and the snorkel will fit the V3, because I have already test fit and checked for any problems. OEM CLIPS.JPG

There is a tight fit with the one clip that is behind the snorkel.

LID CLIP :SNORKEL SPACE.JPG

Then again, everything on the V3 is a tight fit. 

IMG_8919.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Fabrication is finished on V3s  # 1 & 2. They do not have insulation though because I need to check with whomever to find out if they want me to do it or themselves. The V3 has to be insulated to protect the thermoplastics from excessive heat and to keep the air charge cooler.  

This is complete V3 #1 as one would receive it. Everything but filter and snorkel. I can supply the filter if wanted,  but why do that when it is available on line. I will supply the links so one can just click and buy the dry or oiled reusable filter. 

IMG_8913.JPG

IMG_8912.JPG

IMG_8904.JPG

V3s  # 2 & 3

V3 #1&2.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 6

Just finished gluing and riveting V3 # 3 . It needs to dry over night, and with any luck I will be able to test fit all three tomorrow in my car. I need to do this as the car is scheduled to be taken into the body shop on Wed.  If I can test fit all three V3s I can continue work on them and finish them even if the car is in the shop. The timing is good as I don't want to send my car into the shop with the V3 installed, so when I pull out my V3 and finish testing all the others, I will install the OEM air box and filter. I want the car to appear as stock as possible so there is no excuses on why I hav a code that says that I have a vacuum problem with the gas tank. I think a vent tube was crushed when I was hit, or the fuel filter is clogged up. Car still runs great,  I just did a 4.55 sec -  0 > 60 mph  even with a mashed rear bumper a the check engine light on. lol 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Test fit all three air boxes today, and they all worked and fit great! I was able to re- install the OEM air box as well. Now I can continue work on them while the car is in the shop. 

When I removed my V3 it was in like new condition and showed no damage or rub marks on it . The insulation was loose in a couple places and I just pushed it back down . . 

The aux air input hose gave me some info when I removed it. The end marked cold is where the air enters,  the part marked warm is where it attaches to the V3 Air Box.

it proves that I am finding cold air to feed the V3 and the hose got warmer where it is in the engine compartment and was actually cool to the touch where the air enters it. 

IMG_8987.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

I believe this question was asked in the past but don't recall the answer. Do you know if your airbox will fit with a larger battery? I'd have to check but if I'm not mistaken I think my battery comes to the last hole on the battery tie down. 

Thanks in advance.

To me it looks liker it will fit no problem. The plastic shop is working with me on the V3 Adaptor the uses the stock bottom half of the air box.  So.... if the custom air box does not fit,  the Adaptor should. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, red95stang said:

These look so much better that any of the others on the market. I really curious as to the power gain.

Thanks so much, and glad you like it. I can feel the difference and at some point I will put the car on a dyno and get some numbers . For now all I can say for sure is I saw a small increase in milage and my butt dyno says it makes more power than stock. I ran a 4.55 sec. - 0 to 60mph yesterday and I did not have any octane booster in the car and it was with a 91 tune. I have run those numbers before but I was on a 93 tune with 91 gas and octane booster added. . Hopes that helps some. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Xtra said:

Thanks so much, and glad you like it. I can feel the difference and at some point I will put the car on a dyno and get some numbers . For now all I can say for sure is I saw a small increase in milage and my butt dyno says it makes more power than stock. I ran a 4.55 sec. - 0 to 60mph yesterday and I did not have any octane booster in the car and it was with a 91 tune. I have run those numbers before but I was on a 93 tune with 91 gas and octane booster added. . Hopes that helps some. 

That is quick as heck. What tuner do you use if you don't mind me asking? I am slow at 5.60s @79mph with an E30 tune even though I am in a 2019 ST. It seems to be a conservative tune. 

And am I stiil in the works of trying the airbox on my ST?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TT Steve said:

That is quick as heck. What tuner do you use if you don't mind me asking? I am slow at 5.60s @79mph with an E30 tune even though I am in a 2019 ST. It seems to be a conservative tune. 

And am I stiil in the works of trying the airbox on my ST?

TT Steve , I have custom Comp turbos, FMIC, other mods, and a tune by Joe Granatelli, the son of Andy Granatelli and X indy racer . That may have something to do with it. You are still on the list, and I am working on an adaptor plate that I hope will work on the ST. The adaptor plate will keep the OEM bottom half of the air box and use the V3 top half. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xtra said:

TT Steve , I have custom Comp turbos, FMIC, other mods, and a tune by Joe Granatelli, the son of Andy Granatelli and X indy racer . That may have something to do with it. You are still on the list, and I am working on an adaptor plate that I hope will work on the ST. The adaptor plate will keep the OEM bottom half of the air box and use the V3 top half. 

The Granatelli name has been around a long time. When I was looking to supercharge my Mustang II back in 88, I got to meet Joe Granatelli, Jr. and toured the place with Jim Middlebrook who at the time was an engineer there and he showed me the gear driven Vortech supercharger while at Paxton. This was a Paxton product in all reality but Paxton did not like the noisy supercharger so dropped it. Jim Middlebrook grabbed the rights and started Vortech Supercharger in 1990 and the rest is history. Good times..... 

The turbos sound nice. I am lookin at possibly a Stage 3 here in the near future. Thanks for the update.

• Like 3

This photo shows the clearance between the battery and the V3.  The battery in this photo is H6 size it is larger than the OEM, and there is one size larger battery that can fit into the battery box.  The V3 looks like it will clear any battery that does not extend past the battery box.  

IMG_8601.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The shop made a new thicker prototype of the Adapter Plate, and it came out fairly good. You will understand when I post the photos The mold held up to the thicker material and it pulled in good at the top where I did not think it was going  to. It is because the top is the first thing the hot material touches. Then at the base after pulling down just 3 inches and one half second later it had trouble making a 90* tight turn. I think because the material had cooled off a few degrees and it became stiffer and there was not enough vacuum. Perhaps some more holes around the base will help. It still needs to be cut out and trimmed before I will know if it is going to be strong enough or if I need to go to plan “B” ?

• Like 2

Drilled the AuxAir hole in a lid today. 

This is what I hold the lid for drilling with. The wood sticking up is what goes into the vice. Notice that the sides are not 90* , but angled. This is done to position the lid in respect to the drill that only comes straight down. If you can't move the drill, move the thing you are drilling. The bit is in the background. 

IMG_9045.JPG

Here the lid is mounted to the jig ready to go 

IMG_9047.JPG

The jig and lid assembly are clamped in the drill press cross vice.  

IMG_9048.JPG

Edited by Xtra

The jig assembly is aligned, up and down, right and left, and in and out. it is double checked then checked again .. then finally drilled. 

IMG_9050.JPG

Success a clean hole drilled. 

IMG_9052.JPG

Here the tube is trimmed and fitted ready to be cut to length and riveted in place. 

IMG_9056.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

The flex hose just arrived so I did a test fit. I test fit every part to be sure that the V3 will install with no surprises. The aluminum tube still needs to be sealed with RTV before I can say the fabrication is done on the lid. 

IMG_9071.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2