Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

Here are some photos of the work being done

I use cardboard with packing tape on it to create a mold. The packing tape acts as a mold reliese, the fiberglass will not stick to it.

The mold needed to be made taller because the bottom edge of the ABS was not pulling in completely when I changed up to the thicker material. This curve at the bottom edge had to be cut off thus making the part shorter and causing an interference problem with the filter. 

IMG_9446.JPG.adf3bffcdd011d9b2c2d1db72e685c58.JPG

When the cardboard is removed it looks like this. You can see the one inch that I added to the height. I use hot melt glue to attach the cardboard to the mold. It sticks fast and holds strong enough to do the job, but any residue can be removed easily and pulls right off. 

IMG_9447.JPG.c2a7f728380194b4a6fd694598223e87.JPG

Once the mold was cleaned up I used bondo to create a flat base and fill any low parts. A little sanding and it will be one step closer to making another test part. 

IMG_9448.JPG.6c9a33fec2f0aa4b68d0a8000f5503b8.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

Here you can see how the filter interferes with the old mold as well as the slight curve out along the bottom edge of the adaptor. By raising the mold one inch and squaring off the front edge, I hope to gain the space needed.

IMG_9391.thumb.JPG.7953ce5d1a41cfaaf5d91d74032a236d.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

I worked on the clamping system and this is a prototype using the original mold. All the parts fit and hold the three parts together nicely. They go together quickly and easily without tools. Now that I know it works I just need to make it look better. 

Good thing is most of the latches will not be visible once the V3 is installed in the car.

This is what I call the gate and it attaches the lid to the Adaptor. Don't worry about the gaps between the Adaptor and the lid. They are being addressed with the rebuild of the mold. 

IMG_9092.JPG

These are the latches that are on the opposite side of the gate. Once these are clipped the lid is firmly attached to the Adaptor.

IMG_9434.JPG

This is how the OEM Air Box is clipped to the Adaptor. Small groves are machined into the aluminum for the latches to catch on. It may be changed into two catches instead of one long one

IMG_9435.JPG

This is the opposite side showing how the OEM Air Box is attached to the Adaptor plate. 

IMG_9437.JPG

Once the Adaptor is lacted into place it holds solidly and connects all three parts together ( Lid, Adaptor and OEM Air Box ) without rattles or movement. High density rubber gaskets seal it up air tight.  

If I can make this work it will simplify iinstallation, cut costs, and should fit every Edge with a 2.7EB  or 3.0TT no matter the year.

Heck, this might fit other Fords with the 2.7EB, if they use the same Air Box and filter as the Edge. Will have to do some research that possibility. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gredgesport said:

Has anyone officially installed yet?

Red95stang has one installed on his ST, and Duece should have his installed soon ... I hope. The V3 is currently installed on a ST and a Sport.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

I took off the V2 and V3 while my car was in the body shop and put in the stock tune just to be safe.  To celebrate getting my car back I first re-installed the V2 and V3. Then I put in the 93 tune and filled up the tank with 91 and octane booster   I have never run the 93 tune with the V2 and V3 installed until today and the car is a beast . It loves all the cold air the V2-3 combo provides with the Aux Air Intake. It is running super smooth and strong accelerating hard from 60 to 80 + MPH., I even heard a small fourth gear shift chirp from the tires. After I get the oil changed I will pull out the Dragy and try to get some numbers. I had rented a Ford Focus with the EB 4 cil engine. It had good pep and was easy to drive , but I missed my Sport and am happy to have it back in top shape.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

The modifications to the Adaptor mold are getting close to finished. The major shape changes have been completed and it is in the fine tuning stage. 

IMG_9479.JPG

The bottom edge of the ABS  was not pulling in tight to the mold creating a outward curve on the Adapter right where it needs to be cut. So I raised the mold to make the Adapter taller that way it can be trimmed to the correct height and get rid of that curve. The corners were reshaped  to fit the lid better, and made more room for the filter. It still needs  a lot more work before it is ready to be tested. 

IMG_9475.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

u7a4p8C.jpg

OlB5Gh8.jpg

cFYsyd5.jpg

phY6EDa.jpg

xIe7azi.jpg

This is on my 2015 Edge Sport AWD.

Airbox takes a bit of manipulation to clear the Large locking connector at the drivers side fuse box, besides that, fit right in.

Old K&N drop in filter was pretty clogged, and had large debris on it, so right off the bat, this is going to breathe better, not to mention the much larger volume of filtered air.

Going to run it today/tomorrow, then probably reflash my tune and see if the ECU can learn anything better with this airbox.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Gotcha, CTFU!

Thermo-Tec 13575 Adhesive Backed... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0844NGHS6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

One of these does the whole bottom.

I used acetone for surface prep, and

Thermo-Tec 12005 Spray-On Adhesive - 16.75 oz. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000P76ES0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_RK2R0ZKP0G9PDFR7DMEE

To try and stick it real good. Lol

Time will tell. I had shears and an Exacto knife setup, a couple of flathead screwdrivers for tucking.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably scuff up roughly, the box bottom first. Then clean and hose down with glue, lol

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Duece McCracken said:

Thermo-Tec 13575 Adhesive Backed... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0844NGHS6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

One of these does the whole bottom.

I used acetone for surface prep, and

Thermo-Tec 12005 Spray-On Adhesive - 16.75 oz. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000P76ES0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_RK2R0ZKP0G9PDFR7DMEE

To try and stick it real good. Lol

Time will tell. I had shears and an Exacto knife setup, a couple of flathead screwdrivers for tucking.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably scuff up roughly, the box bottom first. Then clean and hose down with glue, lol

Thanks for sharing the technique!

• Like 1

Getting closer. Today, I put on a clear resin gloss coat and let it dry throughly.  Then all the vacuum holes were drilled and cleared 

with compressed air.

After it dried... let the sanding begin. Started with 120 then 320 dry sandpaper to smooth out the finish. Next it was completely wet sanded 4 times over, starting with 400 grit then working my way through 600, 1000 , and 1200 wet sandpaper before I hit with a polishing compound.  

All that remains is work on the bottom side  Two new mounting T-nuts need to be installed and vacuum slots need to be cut into the foot before it is ready to mount to the wood base. 

B) It's so shiny I need sunglasses...lol

IMG_9488.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3