Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

The tubing for the Aux Air came in today, so I got busy on that. 

First a test fit with the hole that was just drilled. 

IMG_0351.JPG

Then off to the saw. Managed to get 4 Aux Air blanks out of it.

IMG_0353.JPG

The Aux Air blanks with layout lines ready to cut to shape. 

IMG_0356.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

After shaping the V3 Aux Air hose adaptor it is held in place with Cleco fasteners.

IMG_0357.JPG

It gets glued in place with RTV to make an air tight gasket.

IMG_0358.JPG

Rivets hold the finished polished Aux Air Hose Adaptor in place and provide a strong mechanical connection.

IMG_0359.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Here is a tip on how to use the double wire clamp included with the V3  AuxAIr. Flex Hose. 

The wires on the clamp go into the valleys between the spiral wire in the hose. This gives a clamping force in two places. 

IMG_0365.JPG

It is going to be even hotter today.  This is the temp at 11AM. It looks like it is going to be around 105 in the shade today. . 

IMG_0369.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

The welder is hard to get ahold of because he is busy with welding for NASA and the International Space Station.  Because he does such excellent work, it was worth making the 3 trips to catch him at the shop.

I bring him pieces,  he gives me parts.

IMG_0374.JPG

Reducer Elbows. fabricated, welded and polished, ready to go. 

IMG_0381.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

When the V3 arrives it at your door it will look something like this. This is a V3 unboxing and gives an idea of what to expect. 

IMG_0394.JPG

Open the box and remove packing. 

IMG_0383.JPG

This is a  V3 with the Auxiliary Air Intake

IMG_0384.JPG

Ii the box you will find the sensor and if you have the Aux Air, then there is a clamp for the Flex Hose

IMG_0386.JPG

The 30* and 45* Elbow Reducer and instructions

IMG_0385.JPG

The expandable Flax Hose 

IMG_0396.JPG

Assembled V3 with choice of Oiled or Dry media Air filter

IMG_0392.JPG

The Aux Air intake on the lid. 

IMG_0390.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

The V3 filter was originally designed to increase performance on an engine that makes 450HP and 510TQ stock.

IMG_0405.JPG

It is more than enough filter for a 325hp ST or even a modded Edge making over 500 HP. 

IMG_0408.JPG

**This is the filter and lid I use for design and set up. Thats why it is dinged up. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

So finally got around to take pictures of the installed V3 intake and it looks great!  I'm not a mechanic but it took about 45 minutes to install.    I ran the auxiliary tube the way Xtra ran his but I really liked the ram air way that Snmjin came up with on his set up. May do that at a later time.  I do not have any numbers to any HP or MPG improvements and I've only had the V3 on for half a tank of gas so far but she does seem a little more responsive though. 20220626_101635.thumb.jpg.232b4ffc38f389ef336356c5bd426e83.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 11:55 AM, C Blanco said:

So finally got around to take pictures of the installed V3 intake and it looks great!  I'm not a mechanic but it took about 45 minutes to install.   

Thanks so much for the photo and the post.  You now have the complete Xtra Air High Performance CAI System. Looking good!

I have a couple questions if thats OK.     

1.   Is the quality, fit, and finish of the V3 as good as you expected ? 

2.   I know the Aux Air makes it more complicated to install, but how about just the standard V3 adaptor, lid and filter? Did everything snap into place as designed ?

3.   Were the instructions clear and helpful  ? 

4.  Any suggestions or comments ?

• Like 1

I am super busy up to the 4th of July,  but I have found some time to start putting together a run of four V3s. I just ordered the lids and some other parts so when I finish with the Independence Day Celebration the parts will be here ready to work on.. 

The first run of V3s went fast. If you are interested in a V3 CAI please PM me now to reserve one of the four available in this next run.  

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received my CAI a few weeks ago, life got in the way of posting some pics of the CAI installed. All I can say is this is no joke, no shade tree mechanic stuff, its manufactured extremely well, everything I needed to install it with very well thought through instructions,  fits like a glove and looks very nice installed. I finally got around to putting the engine cover back on today, as Xtra did on his I trimmed my cover a bit to show it off. I wish I thought the trimming through a little better but it still looks awesome! For what its worth I also got the fresh air intake, as the CAI, its awesome. 

low res 2.jpg

low res.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 7:47 PM, Xtra said:

Thanks so much for the photo and the post.  You now have the complete Xtra Air High Performance CAI System. Looking good!

I have a couple questions if thats OK.     

1.   Is the quality, fit, and finish of the V3 as good as you expected ? to be clear I have no affiliation to Xtra - yes, commercial grade

2.   I know the Aux Air makes it more complicated to install, but how about just the standard V3 adapter, lid and filter? Did everything snap into place as designed ? 100% yes

3.   Were the instructions clear and helpful  ? Very, all though not really needed, its pretty much self explanatory. 

4.  Any suggestions or comments ? well packed for shipping, arrived 100% as expected, I wish I had wrapped the OEM intake snorkel with some heat shield tape while I had the chance, I just ordered some to do it this weekend.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 11:55 AM, C Blanco said:

So finally got around to take pictures of the installed V3 intake and it looks great!  I'm not a mechanic but it took about 45 minutes to install.    I ran the auxiliary tube the way Xtra ran his but I really liked the ram air way that Snmjin came up with on his set up. May do that at a later time.  I do not have any numbers to any HP or MPG improvements and I've only had the V3 on for half a tank of gas so far but she does seem a little more responsive though. 

I am so happy that you are please with the V3 and that that the install went smoothly. I also like the Ram Air approach that snmjim pioneered and believe that is a great way to go. Thanks for taking time to post and answer my questions. Feedback is very important to have, good or bad. ... Thank goodness it was good,  lol  

On 7/6/2022 at 4:28 PM, My2018Sport said:

I received my CAI a few weeks ago, life got in the way of posting some pics of the CAI installed. All I can say is this is no joke, no shade tree mechanic stuff, its manufactured extremely well, everything I needed to install it with very well thought through instructions,  fits like a glove and looks very nice installed. I finally got around to putting the engine cover back on today, as Xtra did on his I trimmed my cover a bit to show it off. I wish I thought the trimming through a little better but it still looks awesome! For what its worth I also got the fresh air intake, as the CAI, its awesome. 

I really like the look with the trimmed engine cover . Those are some great photos and kind words, I am honored Thanks! 

Edited by Xtra

Now that the 4th of July is over, I can get back to the V3 project. It was another hot day 100*F, yet was still able to work on an Aux Air lid some. 

Managed to drill the hole and fabricate the aluminum flex hose bib. 

IMG_0501.JPG

Attached with Clecos and ready to polish before riveting in place. This lid also needs a Sensor Port and Gasket before it is done. 

IMG_0502.thumb.JPG.e74374d9b9e726183fbd2de34cac981d.JPG

I now wrap everything in blue painters tape for protection as it worked on.        

Edited by Xtra
H
  • Like 1

I can say that development of the V3 is now complete, and has moved into production mode ?

. There are four V3 available in this next batch. The plastic shop has the okay and is Vacuum Forming  them as well as doing the CNC work on the C-Clips. While they are doing  that,  I am working on the Elbow Reducers and the Sensor Ports. Getting all the aluminum bits fabricated, welded and polished

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ST-EDGE-ST said:

I would like to purchase the V3 from you. How can I place an order for one?

Good question. By clicking on my name ` you can send me a Private Message ( PM ) . Once you click on my name you will see a envelope icon, click on that to send me a request. And I will hook you up. 

i will send you a PM with all the information in a few minutes. 

Edited by Xtra

• 2 weeks later...

The plastic shop said they will have the next batch of V3s molded by this Friday. That means that shipping will happen in the next 2 to 3 weeks. There are still some V3 CAI available in this run. PM me to reserve yours now. .  

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1