Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

The Rotozip makes a mess and perhaps some day I will discover a better way to cut this . Day One. 

IMG_0575.JPG

After cleaning up the mess that sticks to the cut it looks much better. Precision on this cut is not necessary as this is trimmed  away in the next cut. . 

IMG_0573.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

The success of the V2 allowed me to develop the V3. Now that the V3 is fully developed and in production, I want to thank everyone who has supported me in my endeavors to bring a true CAI system to the Edge ST and Sport. The V3 costs around  $330 to produce, and there is very little mark up. Just enough to allow me to keep making them. My labor is basically free, as it is a hobby and a labor of love. My reward is seeing the V2 and V3  in members cars and hearing how much they like them . Corny I know.... but true.  Without a doubt, if some other manufacture says that their CAI can make +24 HP & +23 Lbs. on the ST,   the V3 will not only match that, the V3 flows better, and supports much more HP than theirs. I will also put the quality of the V3 CAI system up against any other CAI for the Edge  I am very proud of what has been accomplished, and it would have not been possible without this forum and it's members support. Thank you all. 

FOR-006-112_extra_01.jpg

IMG_7161.JPG

7F2100_extra_02-1.jpg

IMG_7165.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

V3 TOP- VIEW & SENSOR.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, MB022803 said:

I'd like to get one ordered but everytime I try and send you a DM is says you're not allowed to receive them. Have you been a bad boy?

Thanks for posting,  my mail box was full. It should be working now. I will PM you . 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Working on a lid with the Auxiliary Air Intake today. The Aux Air is a popular option along with the Oiled Washable Filter. 

Got everything fabricated and ready for polishing before final assembly.  Day Two

IMG_0585.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a V3 Filter and a Flex Hose for the Aux Air Intake last week. I placed the very same order 2 days later and to my surprise the filter's cost went up 7.7% and the Flex hose went up  68% ...in just two days !!! Thats crazy... I will hold the price where it's at and suck up the difference, but this inflation and what ever it is (don't call it a recession),  is getting expensive.

• Sad 1

Managed to finish up the mods to the lid for the Aux Aix Intake. 

Cut, shaped, bent, drilled and polished ready to assemble. Day Three. 

IMG_0591.thumb.JPG.2b96d6b0f4a2646e5468b22d300cb9a6.JPG

Sealed air tight, riveted Aux Air and Sensor port.

IMG_0594.thumb.JPG.98ec593718866eb024c58edd5d8875ae.JPG

All this lid needs now is for the RTV to dry, and a gasket. 

IMG_0593.thumb.JPG.25e44da84f6d6186e50c8e94aaac528a.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Started work on the Adaptor today. Day Four. 

After cutting it out and trimming, more tape is added to protect the edges.

IMG_0599.JPG

The Adaptor is squared up to sit flat,  and then the edge protector is added. This edge protector also helps seal the adaptor to the lid gasket . 

IMG_0600.JPG

Once the edge protector is installed, more tape is added for protection. 

IMG_0611.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Day Five working at my shop. These posts show what is involved in making just one V3 . 

Today work continues on the Adaptor. 

This is the high density foam gasket that seals the V3 Adaptor to he OEM air box bottom half. 

IMG_0622.thumb.JPG.24c6a32414a137ecb13ea83ce37e7635.JPG

The latches and C-Clip complete the Lid side of the Adaptor. The latches are very tight on this V3 Adaptor and snap into place with authority. As the foam gasket on the lid compresses over time the latches will be easier to catch. 

IMG_0619.thumb.JPG.c039de2e160680cb35f4ddc112458558.JPG

Close up of the CNC machined C-Clip... 

IMG_0618.thumb.JPG.f0f1190541227e37750932491f59d208.JPG

Tomorrow work will continue on the OEM air box side of the Adaptor. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

It was a quiet Friday night and the air filter had arrived, so I went back to work and finished up the side that hooks up to the car.

These are the tabs that go to the front. 

IMG_0627.JPG

These are the J-Hooks that the OEM air box clips to.

IMG_0629.JPG

The Adaptor is now complete. It needs to cure overnight to achieve 80% strength. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Evening All,

Wanted to collect some data before I made a post about my new V3.  So here is goes:

Everyone asks is it more powerful or can you feel a difference? Yes you can but I'm sure you'd feel more of a difference if you paired this with downpipes and an exhaust system. When you shit can it you can feel a difference between stock and V3. You can also feel a difference when you're just doing normal driving. The ST just runs better, it's hard to explain but it does. Imagine breathing through a small filter and the trying a super large filter.

One aspect I don't think anyone has touched on and I believe is one of the V3 strongest attributes is FUEL ECONOMY!!!  My city driving mpg has gone from 20.1, average, to 22.8, average now!  I don't do a lot of highway driving since COVID has me working from home but I do have to take long trips to and from the kids lessons, been doing that for 7 years and the last 2 with the ST and I would normally get  24.3 mpg or so. But with the V3 installed I'm getting 27.7 mpg!!  I've gotten better and worse, it just depends on how hard on the gas you are.

I'm thrilled with my purchase and I want to say Thank You Xtra for all your hard work and for making a CAI for our Edges!!

Here are my mpg readings.

PXL_20220814_152715872.jpg

PXL_20220904_215458088~2.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/7/2022 at 5:48 PM, MB022803 said:

Evening All,

Wanted to collect some data before I made a post about my new V3.  So here is goes:

Everyone asks is it more powerful or can you feel a difference? Yes you can but I'm sure you'd feel more of a difference if you paired this with downpipes and an exhaust system. When you shift you can feel a difference between stock and  the  V3. You can also feel a difference when you're just doing normal driving. The ST just runs better, it's hard to explain but it does. Imagine breathing through a small filter and then trying a super large filter.

One aspect I don't think anyone has touched on and I believe is one of the V3 strongest attributes is FUEL ECONOMY!!!  My city driving mpg has gone from 20.1, average, to 22.8, average now!  I don't do a lot of highway driving since COVID has me working from home but I do have to take long trips to and from the kids lessons, been doing that for 7 years and the last 2 with the ST and I would normally get  24.3 mpg or so. But with the V3 installed I'm getting 27.7 mpg!!  I've gotten better and worse, it just depends on how hard on the gas you are.

I'm thrilled with my purchase and I want to say Thank You Xtra for all your hard work and for making a CAI for our Edges!!

Here are my mpg readings.

PXL_20220814_152715872.jpg

PXL_20220904_215458088~2.jpg  

First thanks for the props,  but Wow!...  that is an amazing  improvement of 2.7 MPG City`````` or 13.5% better milage .  And 3.4 MPG  better HWY milage, that equals 14% better fuel economy. This is fantastic and you did this on a proven route you have been taking for 2 years. And you have the photos to back it up. 

To look at it another way you are saving up between 13.5 and 14% per gal of gas. If you are paying $3.79 per gal that is the equivalent savings of 51 to 53 cents per gal and on a 16 gal fill up the savings add up fast....around $8 per fill up in extended milage.  Here in California with our crazy gas price of 5.79 gal or more that would equal 78 to 81 cents per gal in savings, and on a 16 gal fill up it would be the equivalent of $12.50 to $13 per tank of extended range.  The fuel savings will add up over the life of the car and the V3 will pay for itself many times over.  Plus you get more performance and HP, and as a bonus, the V3 looks killer ( IMHO ). It appears that the V3 is working better than I first expected, and this feedback is a very pleasant surprise. Thank you MB022803 for your review and enjoy your V3. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Working on two more V3 orders and they are almost ready to ship, just waiting for the filters to arrive. There were two remaining V3 available in this run, but sacrificing one lid to become a jig has worked out great and has improved quality and consistency. Because of that, now there is only one remaining V3 available at this time. 

Edited by Xtra

• Xtra changed the title to Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

FYI - Some of you might have noticed that I posted the same thing in several threads, I did this because the V3 is a Ford Edge Forum member exclusive and it will help people find the V3 when doing an internet search for Edge ST and Sport CAI. I apologize to the members for this if any found it offensive.

Thanks, 

Xtra

PS . Just finished and shipped those two V3 I was working on.:yahoo:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

It is with a heavy heart that I share this :( 

:soapbox:

I have just been notified by PayPal that they are going to report me  because I have had more than $600 move through my account. The limit was 20K last year and that allowed many people like me to be creative. People that made seasonal items and crafts. Teachers that earned some extra income during summer vacation by tutelage. Even kids that have summer jobs mowing lawns or delivering newspapers. Now the limit is only $600 per year. Have $600 in a year pass through your PayPal account earning or selling stuff and it is considered taxable income, and those 81,000 new heavily armed  agents will need something to do. 

The V2 and V3 are sold with a very small markup, just enough to keep making them and pay for expenses no more than that. This is a hobby and labor of love, not a business . If it was a business, it would be the worst ever as I don’t charge a penny for labor.  To give an example, I just spent a couple hours today making the two small aluminum hinges and polishing them for the V3 Adaptor. I enjoy doing this and it keeps me going in my retirement. Sitting in a rocking chair wasting time is not my thing. And making these custom high performance Cold Air Intakes for my fellow Edge enthusiasts brings me great satisfaction . I am telling you all this because this may be the last year I will be able to offer the V2 Ram Air and V3 CAI systems . If the tax burden is to great then I will be forced out.  It saddens me to think about that. because these projects do give me so much happiness and purpose.  

With that being said if you are considering a V2 Ram Air or V3 CAI now is the time to get one as there are only 3 months remaining in the year and the last ones must ship by December 31,

I will stop taking orders sometime in mid December 2022. 

My hands are tied  :angry22:
I hate this #*%!!! new tax law.
“No one earning under $400,000 a year will be taxed a penny more” ….my ass :gaah:

Edited by Xtra
  • Sad 2

Handfiler it is good you don't live in the USA as this does not effect you. 

It is not just PayPal, all banking must report ***these types of transactions to the IRS if they add up to $600 or more in a year. ZEL , EMT , PayPal , your checking account, no diff.  Only cash is safe and even that has to be kept out of the banking system or they may ask where did you get that? They are after the smallest amount now and anyone with a side hustle. If you make a buck sixty five every day for a year then you are a target and will be taxed on it as income. Thats why even paper boys and even lemonade stands are at risk. I have been keeping good solid books just in case and now I am glad I did. I will need to get through this and see what happens when taxes are due and paid. At that time I will know if I can start up production again or not.  So friends, get one the ball and order now for the clock is ticking. 

***gifted money and selling your old things do not count. 

• Sad 1

I just finished a complete V3 today without the Aux Air .( It can still be added .)  This is the first time I have ever had one finished and ready to ship without a request for it.  All that is needed is the filter to be ordered to spec. Oiled or Dry. This is the last one of this batch.  The next  batch,  perhaps the last batch ever, won’t be started until this one finds a home  So someone needs to adopt this puppy soon so I can get started on the next set of 4 before time runs out. Also the FMIC is still available and I just lowered the price. 

• Like 2