2019 Edge ST ptu fluid service

kruzr1

Has anyone with a 2019 or newer ST looked into changing the ptu fluid? I've looked under mine and can not seem to locate a drain plug. there seems to be an external pump? connected with hoses etc to the ptu. I've seen macbwt video on changing the 2019 2.0EB, my ptu setup doesn't look anything like his. I have done searches on the forums and web but not able to find anything specific to the ST. I'll probably go back under and take another look when the weather improves. Thanks in advance for any info.

26 minutes ago, kruzr1 said:

Has anyone with a 2019 or newer ST looked into changing the ptu fluid? I've looked under mine and can not seem to locate a drain plug. there seems to be an external pump? connected with hoses etc to the ptu. I've seen macbwt video on changing the 2019 2.0EB, my ptu setup doesn't look anything like his. I have done searches on the forums and web but not able to find anything specific to the ST. I'll probably go back under and take another look when the weather improves. Thanks in advance for any info.

I'd be surprised if the ST PTU is different to the Sport PTU's, but post a photo so that we know what you're looking at.

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

I'd be surprised if the ST PTU is different to the Sport PTU's, but post a photo so that we know what you're looking at.

1 hour ago, Fingernip said:

It is. The 2019+ ST has a liquid cooled PTU. 

My 2016 Sport has a liquid cooled PTU. It is cooled with Engine coolant.

The 2019+ has a completely different PTU because they introduced a new version that can disconnect the drive shaft to save fuel.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Perblue said:

You need an oil extractor, one that comes with flexible tubing, to fit in and down the fill hole. Don't forget about the differential fluid. Mine was far worse than my PTU.

Good that they introduced cooling, but a step backwards if they eliminated the drain plug.

Was glad to clear this up a bit on the ST models.  I will try to take some pictures in a couple days when it's not raining and not working. So dajo2012 and Perblue, are you saying you changed  the fluid on a ST ptu (just wanted to clarify)?  Did you use the fill plug to empty and fill?  Any other tips would be appreciated ie what extractor you used. Thanks again for the information.

3 hours ago, omar302 said:

My 2016 Sport has a liquid cooled PTU. It is cooled with Engine coolant.

The 2019+ has a completely different PTU because they introduced a new version that can disconnect the drive shaft to save fuel.

US spec? From all Fords literature the liquid cooled version was introduced in 2019... that is interesting. 

3 hours ago, kruzr1 said:

Was glad to clear this up a bit on the ST models.  I will try to take some pictures in a couple days when it's not raining and not working. So dajo2012 and Perblue, are you saying you changed  the fluid on a ST ptu (just wanted to clarify)?  Did you use the fill plug to empty and fill?  Any other tips would be appreciated ie what extractor you used. Thanks again for the information.

Yes I have and did. Unfortunately there is no drain plug for the ptu so you have no other choice but to suck and fill through the fill hole. Just make sure the hose gets to the bottom for sucking.

At least the transmission and differential has a drain and fill plug. 

3 hours ago, Fingernip said:

US spec? From all Fords literature the liquid cooled version was introduced in 2019... that is interesting. 

We get the US Edge with some tweaks (sometimes called "Hot weather group" or High Ambient / High speed package).

Engine coolant components for the 2015 2.7 is attached showing the PTU cooler.

Engine Cooling - Component Location 27l.pdf

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kruzr1 said:

I never changed mine yet. I was going to change it to shock proof but gave up, had less than 10k miles.

Got to wonder what those design engineers were smoking - no drain plug.

Add one promising feature and remove another.

If I owned one of those I'd have followed the DIY instructions to add a drain plug.

PTU.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

That's why I was a little confused when I went to look for a drain plug, and there wasn't one where I was expecting to find it.  I believe the fill plug is on the back side facing rear of vehicle and not too hard to reach (forgot to take picture ?) But the diameter seems small and may be difficult to pull all the fluid out. The suction hose will have to be moved around to reach all fluid so not sure how difficult that would be. 

41 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Got to wonder what those design engineers were smoking - no drain plug.

Add one promising feature and remove another.

Honestly, the engineers made quite a few questionable decisions on the Edge ST's.  Had an option to trade in on one and glad I turned it down.  Between the transmission skipping gears problems that can't be tuned out and etc, I'm saving my pennies and time for an Explorer ST instead.  

• 3 weeks later...

Have any of you done a PTU service on a 2019 or 2020 ST yet? I was under there yesterday and I _think_ I found the fill plug, but I am honestly not sure. On my wife's 2015 the drain and fill plugs were easy. I'm just trying to figure out how to suck out the old fluid. I do have a couple of syringe looking things and some tubing, I'm assuming that's all I will need.

If any of you can take a pic or pics of the friggin' fill plug that would be most appreciated.

6 hours ago, smjayman said:

Have any of you done a PTU service on a 2019 or 2020 ST yet? I was under there yesterday and I _think_ I found the fill plug, but I am honestly not sure. On my wife's 2015 the drain and fill plugs were easy. I'm just trying to figure out how to suck out the old fluid. I do have a couple of syringe looking things and some tubing, I'm assuming that's all I will need.

If any of you can take a pic or pics of the friggin' fill plug that would be most appreciated.

I'll do you one better.  check the pdf,

19 edge st drain fill.pdf

• Like 3

That helps a lot, but I guess I need to buy some PTU cooler nuts too now? 

I'm in the same boat trying to DIY this PTU fluid change on my 19 ST with PTU cooler and no drain plug.  I have looked for just the nuts and it looks like you pull the entire cooler out and replace the cooler seal/gasket and nuts to drain the fluid which requires you to by a Automatic Transmission Oil CoolerPart#: YO22 (7K177)

Usages: Includes "O" Ring, Includes Attaching Hardware, Service Kit, 09/06/2018, Edge 2015-, 2.7L DOHC 4V DI GT V6 GAS/FFV, 4WD for $190

Has anyone identified if you can get this "service kit" cheaper then the price listed above from FORD or what the size is of the nuts that are "1time use" This simple PTU fluid exchange is getting more expensive as DIY project. 

I get that the suction method would be the cheapest, but would it be the "best" way to do it, ie: the way the dealer would do it, if I paid them to do it?

Thanks for the help.