I've started to hate my ST

Vanquished

This should probably be put in "owner impressions" section

Didn't take long. It's all the little things that add up to me hating the car. 

Let's start with the immediate cause for me writing this: WHY DO THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS HAVE TO MOVE EVERY DAMN TIME YOU TURN THE CAR ON. I made the mistake of turning the car on with the wipers up after washing it and now I have two beautiful chips on my hood. Or maybe I should ask why Ford designed wipers/hood that the wiper arms hit the hood? Had the same problem on my Focus from eight years ago, how have they not learned? 

Next, I hate the stop/start, it doesn't work and it has caused me to mess up my steering wheel by the car still being off when I was sitting in traffic and I went to turn the wheel. Features like this that save exactly zero gallons of gas should be neither seen nor heard, if you can't make it that way, don't put it on the car.

Speaking of fuel mileage, my car gets garbage fuel mileage, what is the point of having a tiny complex ecoboost engine if it gets just as bad fuel economy as anything else? My Challenger got better highway mileage than this, despite being a brick and having an engine from the stone ages that had more than double the displacement, and despite me driving that like a muscle and driving the edge like a minivan. 

The USB port does not recognize my USB stick with music on it immediately (didn't have this issue in ANY of the four straight dodges I owned, my brother has a mustang and says he has the issue as well) and the car is too stupid to hold off on playing anything until it does, so it switches to the radio and then I have to manually switch it back every time. Again, been eight years since my Focus but Sync is no better... 

Why does Ford insist on telling us what's good for us? Why is there no option to turn off the double honk with door closed and engine on? We know the option exists, why does Ford refuse to let us control the thing we spent tens of thousands of dollars on?

The fake engine noise and/or noise cancelling is awful. Like another user mentioned and I have mentioned before, you can hear an awful noise under acceleration. It doesn't sound like the engine, it doesn't sound like a turbo (at least in my case), it sounds like static. I have yet to figure out a single instance where I desired to have the piped in audio, how do they sell a car without the option of turning it off? 

Next segway, sound. Why did they release a car with an ST badge that has not an ounce of an exhaust note? Neighbor's Mazda CX-5 makes a better sound than my supposed performance SUV...

And finally, performance. How did Ford manage to take a car with 380ft-lb of torque and 335 hp and make it feel so dead? Why is that the BMW X5 which has less power is almost a full second faster than our Edge ST to 60mph? I supposedly have performance brakes but it sure doesn't feel that way, the SUV weighs basically the same as my Charger or Challenger Scat Packs did and they had skinnier tires but they stopped on a dime... 

It kills me because the Edge ST looks great but it's ruined by stupid engineering decisions (or maybe they're nanny-state decisions). I regret so much that Dodge pissed me off so much with a noisy steering wheel that it sent me over to Ford, I really do. Idk what my next car will be but it won't be a Ford. I'm sure the majority of my complaints are brand-wide, not simple Edge ST complaints. 

Edited by Vanquished
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Why did you buy a car you hate so much?  Go trade it in for a dodge already.

You think I would have bought a car knowing I would hate it? Most of the issues aren't things that come up in a test drive... 

Like I said it's an amalgamation of all the little things. The fact that my windshield wipers just chipped my hood for no damn reason is BEYOND infuriating.

Edited by Vanquished

5 hours ago, Vanquished said:

Let's start with the immediate cause for me writing this: WHY DO THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS HAVE TO MOVE EVERY DAMN TIME YOU TURN THE CAR ON. I made the mistake of turning the car on with the wipers up after washing it and now I have two beautiful chips on my hood. Or maybe I should ask why Ford designed wipers/hood that the wiper arms hit the hood? Had the same problem on my Focus from eight years ago, how have they not learned?

I'm keen to hear from other ST owners if they experience the same with their wipers - my 2017 Sport does not do that.

I can understand it happening if the wipers are moved from the rest position and then ignition is turned on - just something to be aware of and avoid.

Next, I hate the stop/start, it doesn't work and it has caused me to mess up my steering wheel by the car still being off when I was sitting in traffic and I went to turn the wheel. Features like this that save exactly zero gallons of gas should be neither seen nor heard, if you can't make it that way, don't put it on the car.

Have you considered disabling it - a little research and you'll find it has been done by many.

Double honk and a few of the other irritations you mention are relatively easy to disable, not by the dashboard menu because some of them are considered safety features.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Speaking of fuel mileage, my car gets garbage fuel mileage, what is the point of having a tiny complex ecoboost engine if it gets just as bad fuel economy as anything else?

And finally, performance. How did Ford manage to take a car with 380ft-lb of torque and 335 hp and make it feel so dead?

2.7L V6 isn't really that "tiny".

My 2017 Sport is is basically the same, and if driven gentlemanly is gets good mileage, and if I lead foot it its real heavy on gas, which I think is to be expected.

I dont drive the edge aggressively anymore. It doesn't want to be driven aggressively (see comment about brakes). It still gets garbage gas mileage.

And yes, the 2.7 is tiny. In my life, 5 of my 6 other cars (with the one exception being my focus) had a bigger engine, 4 with engines more than double the displacement. It's fine, they were NA and this is TT, but I still don't see the point. I thought it was for gas mileage, which clearly it isn't.... just a way to fool the epa? 

I have considered disabling all the functions you mentioned but I'm not sure it's worth any money since I probably won't have the car too much longer and I don't want to risk voiding any warranty. I'm not gonna lie, when I I the edge I thought "at least I'll get good gas mileage at a time when prices are about to sky rocket" so you'll imagine my disappointment to learn that I get 22-24 mpg on the highway. I think your 2017 is better than the 2020, that was when it was an Edge sport, right? I test drove an Edge sport (I didn't test this one since the dealer had to ship it to me) and it felt a lot better off the line. Maybe the 21 inch wheels make it worse, idk. 

Edited by Vanquished

7 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

Come on over to the dark side

8351477A-F77F-47C8-B75E-7FD0A43C20E7.jpeg

I got a dog which is the main reason I traded my Challenger (though the steering wheel is why I traded it at only 9 montha). I need 4 doors unfortunately, I love the supra though. If I could afford a 50k 2nd car I'd definitely have it lol. 

7 hours ago, Vanquished said:

This isn't normal, never had this happened since owning it.

Every new car has start stop. Lift your foot a touch or get a disable chip. It's the same for all new vehicles.

Speaking of fuel mileage, my car gets garbage fuel mileage, what is the point of having a tiny complex ecoboost engine if it gets just as bad fuel economy as anything else? My Challenger got better highway mileage than this, despite being a brick and having an engine from the stone ages that had more than double the displacement, and despite me driving that like a muscle and driving the edge like a minivan. 

I get 35 mpg on the highway, 25 pushing a good wind. City varies greatly by my foot, typically 14-18. Pretty good for an suv. Sure my buddies v8 camaro can match that at times but it isn't as much of a brick and has a lot less frontal area. He also can't as easily seat 4-5 people as comfortably. 

Don't use a usb stick so can't comment on that

Why does Ford insist on telling us what's good for us? Why is there no option to turn off the double honk with door closed and engine on? We know the option exists, why does Ford refuse to let us control the thing we spent tens of thousands of dollars on?

Because of people claiming ignorance of not turning that feature off and having their vehicle stolen.

Fake engine noise, meh won't be surprised it becomes a feature on all electric cars too and ford isn't the only one to do it.

It actually does have an exhaust note, sure it's not loud and obnoxious but I can easily tell it started from inside the house. there is alot of sound insulation in these things keeping the sound out of the cabin.

The x5 is a rear drive platform, totally different layout forces and power distribution.

The performance brakes were mostly softer pads and better venting to keep them cool. It's intended to reduce brake fade under abuse mostly not necessarily on the street. It's like saying, and this is an extreme example, saying carbon ceramic brakes suck and you only drive on the street. It's not really what it was intended for even if it's sold as such.

The edge has it's flaws like very tough torque management, other manufacturers are guilty of this, off the start, fit and finish, etc. There is always something better no matter what you buy. If you choose to buy a cheaper option there are always sacrifices. Spending 10k or 20k more to some might not seem like a lot to some for others it is. The package on the edge is a good compromise of performance and tech for the price. Some might argue but that's my opinion.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Vanquished said:

You think I would have bought a car knowing I would hate it? Most of the issues aren't things that come up in a test drive... 

Like I said it's an amalgamation of all the little things. The fact that my windshield wipers just chipped my hood for no damn reason is BEYOND infuriating.

Who left the wipers in the up position?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Perblue said:

This isn't normal, never had this happened since owning it.

Every new car has start stop. Lift your foot a touch or get a disable chip. It's the same for all new vehicles.

I get 35 mpg on the highway, 25 pushing a good wind. City varies greatly by my foot, typically 14-18. Pretty good for an suv. Sure my buddies v8 camaro can match that at times but it isn't as much of a brick and has a lot less frontal area. He also can't as easily seat 4-5 people as comfortably. 

Don't use a usb stick so can't comment on that

Because of people claiming ignorance of not turning that feature off and having their vehicle stolen.

Fake engine noise, meh won't be surprised it becomes a feature on all electric cars too and ford isn't the only one to do it.

It actually does have an exhaust note, sure it's not loud and obnoxious but I can easily tell it started from inside the house. there is alot of sound insulation in these things keeping the sound out of the cabin.

The x5 is a rear drive platform, totally different layout forces and power distribution.

The performance brakes were mostly softer pads and better venting to keep them cool. It's intended to reduce brake fade under abuse mostly not necessarily on the street. It's like saying, and this is an extreme example, saying carbon ceramic brakes suck and you only drive on the street. It's not really what it was intended for even if it's sold as such.

The edge has it's flaws like very tough torque management, other manufacturers are guilty of this, off the start, fit and finish, etc. There is always something better no matter what you buy. If you choose to buy a cheaper option there are always sacrifices. Spending 10k or 20k more to some might not seem like a lot to some for others it is. The package on the edge is a good compromise of performance and tech for the price. Some might argue but that's my opinion.

pretty much nothing you said is relevant. Not every new car has start/stop and even if/when they do I will still hate it if it's implemented as poorly as it is on my edge st. I assume you don't drive an Edge ST because I have never come anywhere close to 35mpg. I drove the car on a 1200 mile highway trip with it on cruise control at 70 for the majority of that trip and got 24ish. I have no comment on city driving, I know that varies a ton depending on how you drive, I got 9mpg in the city in my Scat Packs but I floored it from a stop every time so that's expected. But long highway driving... 

I'm not sure what the point of the performance brakes comment was. Why is it that my 45k Charger and Challenger can have real performance brakes but the 52k Edge ST can't? 

No, it doesn't have an exhaust note. I knew that going in. But again, amalgamation. 
I don't know what to tell you about the wipers, it has happened twice now. Once with me, today and then way earlier when Safelite repaired a chip with 300 miles on it. That time I only had one chip on the drivers side, now at least I have a matching pair.

Please do not imply that the edge is a cheap car, it's not. There are things to like about the edge, the seats are great and the sunroof is awesome, and again it looks great. But the Edge ST is truly a case of less is more. All the silly features they put in for whatever reason just make it worse. 

I'm glad you all love everything about your car, as it seems folks here are very defensive about it. I called out every problem on my Dodge products too but they are CHEAP cars. I expect that from them, I don't expect that from a 50k+ car. 

Edited by Vanquished

yea, that's definitely fair. How dare I hit the ignition switch with the windshield wipers up. Question, how the hell do all of you in cold climates scrape the ice off your windshields? 

PLEASE don't defend such a stupid feature. Turning the car on with the windshield wipers up should not be a crime.

If the car needs to move the windshield wipers every time they are out of place, the car should also be smart enough to know that they are in the up position. Like seriously, this is a problem because of Ford's stupid side-mounted independent motor wipers. Why wasn't the normal windshield wiper layout acceptable? Because they pretend like it gives people that much more visibility? Like everyone on the road with normal wipers can't see anything when it rains?

20 hours ago, Vanquished said:

The USB port does not recognize my USB stick with music on it immediately (didn't have this issue in ANY of the four straight dodges I owned, my brother has a mustang and says he has the issue as well) and the car is too stupid to hold off on playing anything until it does, so it switches to the radio and then I have to manually switch it back every time. Again, been eight years since my Focus but Sync is no better... 

The fake engine noise and/or noise cancelling is awful. Like another user mentioned and I have mentioned before, you can hear an awful noise under acceleration. It doesn't sound like the engine, it doesn't sound like a turbo (at least in my case), it sounds like static. I have yet to figure out a single instance where I desired to have the piped in audio, how do they sell a car without the option of turning it off? 

Next segway, sound. Why did they release a car with an ST badge that has not an ounce of an exhaust note? Neighbor's Mazda CX-5 makes a better sound than my supposed performance SUV...

And finally, performance. How did Ford manage to take a car with 380ft-lb of torque and 335 hp and make it feel so dead? Why is that the BMW X5 which has less power is almost a full second faster than our Edge ST to 60mph? I supposedly have performance brakes but it sure doesn't feel that way, the SUV weighs basically the same as my Charger or Challenger Scat Packs did and they had skinnier tires but they stopped on a dime... 

It kills me because the Edge ST looks great but it's ruined by stupid engineering decisions (or maybe they're nanny-state decisions). I regret so much that Dodge pissed me off so much with a noisy steering wheel that it sent me over to Ford, I really do. Idk what my next car will be but it won't be a Ford. I'm sure the majority of my complaints are brand-wide, not simple Edge ST complaints. 

Sounds like you should have bought the European version! Other than having less BHP the 210PS European version has none of these faults.

• Haha 2

yea, that's definitely fair. How dare I hit the ignition switch with the windshield wipers up. Question, how the hell do all of you in cold climates scrape the ice off your windshields? 

PLEASE don't defend such a stupid feature. Turning the car on with the windshield wipers up should not be a crime.

If the car needs to move the windshield wipers every time they are out of place, the car should also be smart enough to know that they are in the up position. Like seriously, this is a problem because of Ford's stupid side-mounted independent motor wipers. Why wasn't the normal windshield wiper layout acceptable? Because they pretend like it gives people that much more visibility? Like everyone on the road with normal wipers can't see anything when it rains?

I found another gripe for you - hit the windshield washer with the moon roof open.

WHY DO THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS HAVE TO MOVE EVERY DAMN TIME YOU TURN THE CAR ON.

If your wipers are moving every time the ignition is turned on, even when in the parked/stowed position, then there's a fault which will be addressed under warranty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

I found another gripe for you - hit the windshield washer with the moon roof open.

If your wipers are moving every time the ignition is turned on, even when in the parked/stowed position, then there's a fault which will be addressed under warranty.

It's not a fault, it's a design flaw... They don't move every time unless they're out of alignment, but if you have them up they have to be out of alignment because the car tucks them away automatically, which is what happened. It tucked them away but they were in the up position. 

Edited by Vanquished

15 minutes ago, Vanquished said:

It's not a fault, it's a design flaw... They don't move every time unless they're out of alignment, but if you have them up they have to be out of alignment because the car tucks them away automatically, which is what happened. It tucked them away but they were in the up position. 

So its not as you first stated.

WHY DO THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS HAVE TO MOVE EVERY DAMN TIME YOU TURN THE CAR ON.

I guess they could have interlocked it with the hood open switch, but I guess its like the example of not using the windshield washer with the moon roof open.

• Haha 2

I really have not had those kinds of concerns or issues with my 19 ST. Good luck in whichever vehicle you purchase next. Maybe look for a used Yugo to purchase so you can compare your new vehicle with it so you stay happy with your new vehicle.  No I am not ragging on you, but not sure why you would still have a vehicle you are that much dissatisfied with. Good luck with your next vehicle purchase.

On 7/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, Vanquished said:

Not really a flaw.. The wipers should only be flipped up when washing or servicing the glass. No real reason to hit the ignition switch with them in that position. 

Cylinder deactivation on the dodge plus a better drag coefficient let it match fuel economy numbers to the edge on paper. So yes the dodge running with 4 cylinders can match the edge when running on all 6. 

How exactly did you mess up the wheel? Steering input will re-start the car, take a bunch of effort because of no power steering though. For me its a great feature and definitely saves me some fuel (although miniscule). Dropping someone off at the bank I just hold down the brake, I'm seldom in traffic so no stop and go annoyance. 

Sounds like an issue with the engine microphones. Early builds (pre December 2018) had the piped in engine noise turned up very loud and sounded awful. It was since tuned down/removed and even with an ear to the speaker its hard to notice now. 

The BMW X5 40i likely makes around 400hp. BMW is known for underrating their vehicles and dyno tests show the X5 making the claimed 335 at the wheels. 

My Edge Sport has none of those issues except the double honk. 

I would avoid any “sporty” themed SUVs in the future because they all have terrible mileage and the features you listed. Next vehicle you get make sure it’s a car. Or an eco badged SUV. I drove a few Edge ST’s before I found my ‘15 sport and I honestly hated driving the ST. Many of the same gripes you had for sure. The Sport drove better, responded better, and overall just felt less gimmicky. Maybe test drive an older Sport if you can find one? 

1 hour ago, CrackedDSM said:

My Edge Sport has none of those issues except the double honk. 

I would avoid any “sporty” themed SUVs in the future because they all have terrible mileage and the features you listed. Next vehicle you get make sure it’s a car. Or an eco badged SUV. I drove a few Edge ST’s before I found my ‘15 sport and I honestly hated driving the ST. Many of the same gripes you had for sure. The Sport drove better, responded better, and overall just felt less gimmicky. Maybe test drive an older Sport if you can find one? 

Hmm, interesting. I was under the impression that the ST was merely the same SUV, but with an ST badge on it. 

Curious, is the HP on the Sport and ST, not identical? 

On 7/5/2021 at 7:56 AM, Vanquished said:

When you say "in the up position", do you mean with the wipers lifted off the glass  (like for cleaning under the wipers) or if you mean parked vertically but still laying on the windshield?