Jump to content
wade001

PTU fluid change issues..

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Lakeside said:

 

I got the 12.8ounces off the Amsoil website. My owners manual says 11.8 fl. oz. (2016 Edge Sport 2.7L)

I put in the same amount that came out.

How much did you put in?

 

Safest is to fill until it trickles out the fill hole.

 

There's numerous reports of errors in the listed quantity.

 

 

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 1004ron said:

How much did you put in?

 

Safest is to fill until it trickles out the fill hole.

 

There's numerous reports of errors in the listed quantity.

 

 

Since I drained 22oz out, of my `16 Edge, I put maybe 23-24oz back in. 

I thought 11.7 was too little gear oil for a case that size.  

You'd think the Ford Owners Manuel would be accurate but I'm starting to wonder.

I don't want to overfill it bc I'm afraid of aeration.

 

I only was able to get about 10oz out of my daughters `19 Titanium 2.0L. I put about 14oz of Amsoil 75W-90 Extreme back in but I'm thinking of adding an additional 8ozs. (she purchased new and the PTU oil has never been changes)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by 1004ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lakeside said:

I don't want to overfill it bc I'm afraid of aeration.

 

I only was able to get about 10oz out of my daughters `19 Titanium 2.0L. I put about 14oz of Amsoil 75W-90 Extreme back in but I'm thinking of adding an additional 8ozs. (she purchased new and the PTU oil has never been changes)

 

Can't overfill if its trickling out the fill hole.

 

Is that a typo? - shouldn't it be 75w140 or does the 2019 use 75W90?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

Can't overfill if its trickling out the fill hole.

 

Is that a typo? - shouldn't it be 75w140 or does the 2019 use 75W90?

2020 owners manual 

Screenshot_20221105_214833.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lildisco said:

2020 owners manual 

 

 

My daughters 2019 Titanium 2.0L calls for the 75W-90 and my 2016 Sport 2.7L calls for the 75W-140

 

Thanks everyone for your input.

 

Steve

Edited by 1004ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2022 at 10:52 PM, Lakeside said:

I have a 2016 Edge Sport that I bought new that now has 62K on it.

I've never changed the PTU oil so I thought it was time.

I'm fortunate bc the drain plug and fill plug are very accessible and I didn't need to remove anything to change the oil.

I drained 22 ounces out so I added 22 ounces of Amsoil 75W-140 Severe Gear oil. 

I'm a little confused bc my owners manual says to add 12.8 ounces. 

So whats up with that?

Has anyone experienced this?

 

Now I decided to change the PTU oil on my daughters 2019 Edge Titanium 2.0L

Her Edge was purchased new and I'm changing her PTU for the first time also.

I drained about 12 ounces out. so I put 14 ounces back in. Ford calls for 12.7  +/- 1.7 ounces in her Edge

 

 

Decided to crawl under my daughters 2019 Titanium and add some more oil to the already 14oz. I added the other day. It took about 3ozs before it started coming out of the fill hole so I guess 17oz is all it'll hold.

It has to be a much smaller PTU than whats in `16 2.7L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AmsOil 75w140

About as good as Differential\PTU\RDU gear lube gets.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×