Jump to content
F4Gary

Changing destination while driving

Recommended Posts

 I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Is there a setting that will let a passenger fiddle with the navigation while I am driving?  Seems stupid to not allow  a passenger to change a destination when the car is in gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. :( Vehicle has to be stopped.

Claude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Nope. :( Vehicle has to be stopped.

Claude.

That's strange. It can be done OK on Sync 3 installed on the European Edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2021 at 5:05 AM, niceonept said:

That's strange. It can be done OK on Sync 3 installed on the European Edge.


U.S. liability concerns.  Blame the barristers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, normkol said:

Try doing it by voice command.


I never use manual input.  “Destination address”. “123 Main Street Atlanta”.  Hit the Start button.  Couldn’t be easier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2021 at 8:24 AM, akirby said:


U.S. liability concerns.  Blame the barristers.

Really dumb.  Could do it on our CRV and my Silverado.  I guess it's a Ford nanny thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F4Gary said:

Really dumb.  Could do it on our CRV and my Silverado.  I guess it's a Ford nanny thing.


Most mfrs didn’t allow that but some have changed recently.  But it’s also because Ford has allowed you to use voice control to manage destinations for over a decade.  Easier and safer,

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2021 at 6:35 PM, akirby said:


Most mfrs didn’t allow that but some have changed recently.  But it’s also because Ford has allowed you to use voice control to manage destinations for over a decade.  Easier and safer,

How is it safer than the right seater doing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, F4Gary said:

How is it safer than the right seater doing it?


Not safer than the passenger doing it.  If you allow the passenger to do it then you also allow the driver to do it while driving.  Ford experimented with 2 different technologies to allow the passenger but prevent the driver and neither were successful.

 

Its so easy to just say “Destination address” “123 main st atlanta”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most manufacturers allow it, so it's not "unsafe".

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, F4Gary said:

Most manufacturers allow it, so it's not "unsafe".

 

You staring at the screen for an extended period of time, distracted, trying to type in an address that could be who knows how long, while driving is safe? Let me guess you text while driving too. Also reading the guesses in autofill is distracting too. Maybe some have allowed you to do it but people have funny ideas of what is safe while driving like applying makeup or reading a book or peeling an orange it doesn't mean it's safe. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can do this on my UK spec Edge, so there's probably a setting somewhere in Forscan that will allow you to change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be a moot point going forward as some vehicles are beginning to have separate passenger screens.  That’s the safe way to do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, niceonept said:

You can do this on my UK spec Edge, so there's probably a setting somewhere in Forscan that will allow you to change it.

Yes. It's been possible since 2007 sync.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2021 at 11:26 PM, Perblue said:

 

You staring at the screen for an extended period of time, distracted, trying to type in an address that could be who knows how long, while driving is safe? Let me guess you text while driving too. Also reading the guesses in autofill is distracting too. Maybe some have allowed you to do it but people have funny ideas of what is safe while driving like applying makeup or reading a book or peeling an orange it doesn't mean it's safe. 

Triggered.  Lol. I hardly text at home much less on the road.  Why would I stare at the screen while my passenger types in an address?  This is hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2021 at 2:35 PM, F4Gary said:

 I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Is there a setting that will let a passenger fiddle with the navigation while I am driving?  Seems stupid to not allow  a passenger to change a destination when the car is in gear.

Simplest method. Plug and pay.

 

https://www.navtool.com/ford-edge-2015-2018-video-in-motion-category.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voice control is still easier and faster.  I don’t understand why people don’t like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, akirby said:

Voice control is still easier and faster.  I don’t understand why people don’t like it.

Boink

me: "destination 123 main street"

sync: "say 1 for blain street, say 2 for crain street, say 3 for same street, say 4 for guppy avenue"

me: "no main street"

sync: guppy Avenue, is that correct?"

me: "no"

sync: "connecting you to emergency services"

me: " no you !@#$%^ piece of +×÷=/. I said 123 main street"

voice: this is 911 what is your emergency"?

me: "no emergency. I'm trying to get my !@#$% car sync to program a destination"

voice: please pull over an officer will be on scene in two minutes. Is anyone else injured?"

me: you rotten !@#$%^ car. All I wanted you to do ....."

officer: sir, put your hands up and exit the vehicle."

sync: "heh, heh, heh"

 

Thats why. (Or in sync speak, "that's wye").

 

 

Edited by enigma-2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2021 at 10:52 AM, akirby said:

Stop mumbling! 😂

 

Can it learn a New York or Boston accent ?  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeVic said:

 

Can it learn a New York or Boston accent ?  😎


New York - maybe.  Boston?  Hopeless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sync: "nu yourk? Is that correct"?

me: "no. boston"

sync: "nuo yok. Is that correct"?

me: "no, tangier island"

sync: "tngglerilnad. Izthatcurret"?

me: "cancel"

sync: "thank you for using sync. and now a word from our sponsor, the Medicare Advantage Hotline with Joe Namath ...."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×