Engine wants to stall - Code P1450 & P144A - Evap Purge Valve

shumax

On 7/13/2021 at 4:59 PM, shumax said:

Because I didn't have it there.  I had my Explorer there for the tranny flush....

Hey shumax, I just had similar issue on my 2017 Ford Edge Sport. I had idling issues after filling up the fuel tank. It would go away after using some fuel up. It had been doing this for around 6 months until I finally got a code to pop up. It was not fixed under warranty but cost around $300 to diagnose and replace a purge valve.

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 5:27 PM, Cerberus said:

Mine does this, only immediately after fueling..

I suspect it is a valve coking issue causing poorly balanced fueling that the computer compensates for, but it approaches a new tank of fuel as a variable (rightfully so) and so its confused for a little while.

This is an educated guess, but based on one piece of evidence; On someone else's vehicle, After an induction clean up, it did not happen after fueling..

Just to bring this to closure, i had the evap purge valve/solenoid replaced under drivetrain warranty at the dealership and the problem was cured. I did have an extended OBD code stored which indicated an evap error.

Come to find out, the valve is right on top of the forward cylinder bank, So i would have done it myself and saved the visit with those ass clowns.. but thats a different story for another day..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Just to bring this to closure, i had the evap purge valve/solenoid replaced under drivetrain warranty at the dealership and the problem was cured. I did have an extended OBD code stored which indicated an evap error.

Come to find out, the valve is right on top of the forward cylinder bank, So i would have done it myself and saved the visit with those ass clowns.. but thats a different story for another day..

^^^^^^ this is the kind of info that makes a forum like this one invaluable. hopefully this will be of great use to someone in the future.

thanks for posting this update Cerberus. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great news!  Would you happen to have the part numbers from the invoice?  I have the extended warranty, but with a $100 deductible.  If close/below that figure, I'm just going to do it myself.  Not worth the hassle with the stealership.  Will try cleaning it, too, per the video posted.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shumax said:

Great news!  Would you happen to have the part numbers from the invoice?  I have the extended warranty, but with a $100 deductible.  If close/below that figure, I'm just going to do it myself.  Not worth the hassle with the stealership.  Will try cleaning it, too, per the video posted.

Thanks!

the info that 1004ron posted is correct, and matches the part # on my invoice

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-fuel-line-bracket-gl3z9b325b

1 hour ago, shumax said:

Will try cleaning it, too, per the video posted.

Thanks!

What video?

I tried that, and still get the stutter at idle with a full tank.

I've not cleared the code, and will only do that after my Dealership has scanned it as part of the warranty check.

I'll soon have a warranty replacement from my Dealership and will report back once its installed.

Not sure why the sales sites are reporting that the part number is for a 3.0L

Edited by 1004ron

39 minutes ago, shumax said:

Thanks, all.  Only curious - that part points to the 3.0 engine.  Maybe I'm missing something...?

Fair question, I have no idea! 

But that is the number on my invoice.. but interestingly, the part number on the part itself is slightly different 

this site for some reason is failing to upload the picture of the part# from the part..................... ?

the part number on the tag is GL34 9B325 DB

and it lays in the valley between the intake manifold and the forward cylinder bank valve cover

EDIT: but that part# offer no results when searched... 

Edited by Cerberus

• 1004ron changed the title to Engine wants to stall...Code P1450 ?

I've went through the steps replacing the purge valve and had the canister replaced....the problem still exists after putting gas in the tank.   I'm starting to believe the problem exists in the filler neck....possibly a valve in the caplets system that's not venting correctly 

1 hour ago, THE_BOLT said:

I've went through the steps replacing the purge valve and had the canister replaced....the problem still exists after putting gas in the tank.   I'm starting to believe the problem exists in the filler neck....possibly a valve in the caplets system that's not venting correctly 

Yesterday the service manager told me that the most common cause of this code is the evap valve that I replaced, but they have seen it caused by a faulty device near the gas tank (forget what he called it).

I have a problem with my Ford Edge that I can not figure out. I am getting the P1450 code for can not bleed up fuel tank pressure. I have replaced the purge valve and the purge solenoid back by the fuel tank. After I have replaced both of these parts I have cleared the codes and after a little bit it turns the light back on. When you start the car after fueling it it will shake for a few minutes and then straighten up. A couple of times it has been hard to start. Today it started making a loud noise back at the fuel tank. I took the funnel and pushed it in there and it released the vapors and stopped making the noise. I am at a loss for what the problem could be. There is a fuel tank pressure sensor could this be telling the fuel tank solenoid to stay closed. Thanks in advanced for the help. 

MOD Note: Try the search function.

Showing results for 'P1450'. - Ford Edge Forum

Forum Help & Site Suggestions - Ford Edge Forum

STOP - This section is reserved for topics on how to use this site. 

DO NOT use this forum for Ford Edge discussion.

Edited by 1004ron

• 1004ron changed the title to Engine wants to stall...Code P1450 ?
2 hours ago, Michael Hanney said:

MOD Note: Try the search function.

Showing results for 'P1450'. - Ford Edge Forum

Forum Help & Site Suggestions - Ford Edge Forum

STOP - This section is reserved for topics on how to use this site. 

DO NOT use this forum for Ford Edge discussion.

Here is something that maybe helpful. On other forums a new members first post usually has to go to the introduction section. Or a mod will tell them to introduce themselves.

I suggest we take it a step further and have a new member first post be redirected to the introduction section so they can learn how to use/ navigate the site and have them list their MY and deets etc. It would also help to prevent spam if a new members first post was auto routed/ redirected to the introduction section...

I don't know if this will fall on deaf ears..... not implying that a MOD won't read it, but its ultimately up top the site owner/ admin to implement it.  Something for the mods and owner to chew over etc

HTH

• Like 4

I can't explain the part numbers, but can confirm the new part is working - I've only filled up once and no spluttering at idle, and just scanned it and confirm no codes.

It had got progressively worse and would skip a beat when idling whenever the tank was above 3/4.

If I ever need this part again, I'll buy only the Bosch valve.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

Just recently I had a check engine light pop up with code P144A. A quick search in this forum has one person mentioning this code under another code P1450 where the solution for P1450 was to replace the purge valve.

It wasn't really clear to me if the two codes are related to one-another, and if replacing the purge valve will fix my check engine code.

If somebody can give me some insight. My original purge valve model is : GL34 9B325 DA

Vehicle Reference: 2017 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L ECO 

Edited by Tmaf901
  • Like 1

• 1004ron changed the title to Engine wants to stall...Code P1450 & P144A ?
On 6/14/2021 at 5:37 AM, 1004ron said:

Got a new OBDlink MX+ and it confirms that there is an evap code.

My dealership service manager says that when I bring it in for the brake hose recall, they'll check and confirm the code and replace the evap valve.

I think this issue is related to those check codes me and you posted on the other thread? P144A for me. My vehicle has also had this stutter issue right after fill-up. 38000 miles on it. Go to the dealer on Monday, will reply to one of the threads when I have their diagnosis.

Ill add my check code has went off since, but I am sure its still in the system.

EDIT:

Ive went to the dealer, dealer confirmed P144A code. Dealer suggested replacing that purge valve as stated above, quoted me $185 for the part and 30 minutes if labor. I asked if it would be covered under warranty and sadly he couldn't make it happen. Ive decided Ill buy an aftermarket part for $50-60 and replace it myself, dealership said that was probably a good idea as well.

Edited by Tmaf901
  • Like 1

Just wanted to update everybody about my issue, I ended up ordering an aftermarket purge valve to replace the old one. I just put it on today and had my first fill up. Idle seems to be smooth, no rough idling. Im confident this has fixed my issues.

The aftermarket part I used specs:

Duralast PV967 (V21278) (https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/canister-purge-valve/p/duralast-canister-purge-valve-pv967/591684_0_0?cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:ENM:8362629075&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhMOMBhDhARIsAPVml-GteHZzyPO1AY6HqpvKcC8IfISkt9MCA66sPspWSpCPoI2XRi-tNUgaAi6iEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1