Rough Idle When Cold/P0301 Code - coolant intrusion - TSB 22-2133

Ronald S Katz

On 3/23/2022 at 9:05 AM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

@2015Edge2015 what mileage on your vehicle? sorry if i missed it in this thread ...

if under 100K, or if just out of the powertrain warranty period, you can work with ford corporate to at least get part of the cost reimbursed. there might be law firms out there that will mediate for you as well.

In talk with one atm. Let's see what happens. Hey, does this car have a drop in thermostat?  Or part of the housing?  I'm going to add blue devil to try to see if I get more miles. One guy had luck and got about a year more with no bad aide effects.

Edited by 2015Edge2015

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem with my 2017 Edge Titanium.  This is round 3 for me.  in the 1990's I bought a Jeep Cherokee.  As I passed the warranty period, the inline 6 began rattling - it sounded like a diesel.  Ran fine, just sounded bad.  Chrysler dealer looked at it, and without even asking Chrysler sent a short block and paid for the change over.  Traded a 2008 GMC Acadia for my 2017 Edge, 120,000+ miles in check engine light came on.  Timing chain had stretched and could no longer adjust the timing in under load.  $3,600 repair because the engine had to be completely dropped out of the car to get to the timing chain.  One request and GMC paid the bill.  Here we are on round 3 and many of you are reporting that Ford is balking...  Hope this isn't strike 3 for me.

One of you mentioned contacting a lawyer who is in arbitration with Ford.  Anyone have a list or can recommend such a lawyer to me?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 1:20 PM, Walby said:

Same problem with my 2017 Edge Titanium.  This is round 3 for me.  in the 1990's I bought a Jeep Cherokee.  As I passed the warranty period, the inline 6 began rattling - it sounded like a diesel.  Ran fine, just sounded bad.  Chrysler dealer looked at it, and without even asking Chrysler sent a short block and paid for the change over.  Traded a 2008 GMC Acadia for my 2017 Edge, 120,000+ miles in check engine light came on.  Timing chain had stretched and could no longer adjust the timing in under load.  $3,600 repair because the engine had to be completely dropped out of the car to get to the timing chain.  One request and GMC paid the bill.  Here we are on round 3 and many of you are reporting that Ford is balking...  Hope this isn't strike 3 for me.

One of you mentioned contacting a lawyer who is in arbitration with Ford.  Anyone have a list or can recommend such a lawyer to me?

Yep. Same boat. Bought American to support our country. Had a Saturn SUV. Torque converter gave up with a rattle inside tranny. Put a torque and traded for a 2011 edge. Loved it. But coolant inside oil on the 3.5 l engine made me trade it in asap for a 2015 edge. Now  hit with another coolant issue. Coolant on cylinder 1,3 and 4. Drinks water.  Last week added blue devil as a last resort since dealer said 7k for long block. So far its holding but i think my water pump paid the price. Hearing it whine a little and water level dropping slightly again. Will have to keep a eye on it. Called Ford Corporate, they said nothing tgey can do but to notify NTH place... forget the name. The National Highway Transportation place. And said to reported so it gets linked to my vin and hopefully it gets a recall. So... pretty much told to pound sand. Lol.  So here i am debating if i should give Ford another shot. Nawww..... I'm done. Currently looking at the new 2022 Rav4 Hybrids... they look so much like the edges. Really want one of those now! Check them out if you want a similar body styling.  I think the interior is CRAP compared to the Edges... but I'm DONE with these coolant issues. 

P.S.    Are the water pumps easy to do on the 2.0L engine? Anyone know?

Edited by 2015Edge2015

2 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

sorry to hear. flexplate issue?

No. Torque converter and highly recommended to rebuild it. There's a slight noise coming from the inside. 2 shops already looked at it and both said absolutely rebuild it. 4400$ to do it from a independant shop.  One of the shop was the dealer. They quoted me for all the job of Tranny and Long block. 21k . Hahahahahhaha! Found it hilarious. Loved driving these cars since 2013. But I must part now. 

• Like 1

Update. Had the tranny fixed. :). 4400$ and it was rebuild with a new torque converter. Runs good again. Also experimented with Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant. It actually worked and still working. Been 2 weeks since I followed the instructions on the bottle and CEL cleared and isn't loosing water. I know it's your miles will vary with these products.  But did read somewhere a guy used it for his ecoboost and lasted 9 months. Crossing my fingers. This car deserves another shot! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1004ron changed the title to Rough Idle When Cold/P0301 Code - coolant intrusion - TSB 22-2133
On 6/26/2022 at 8:25 AM, Pam LCB said:

I am currently having the exact same issue with the same model and year.  I’m curious what was the solution?

10 hours ago, Pam LCB said:

I don’t have an Eco boost engine.  The water pump has been suggested, I’m more inclined to think computer or drive train related. Putting the car in neutral will bring the temp gauge down to normal.  It’s definitely a head scratcher 

You posted in the "2.0L EcoBoost" section.

So what model and year do you have.

What are the issues you're having and what have you looked at?

• 4 weeks later...

Add another one to the list.  2016, just turned 70K miles, and thankfully got the Carmax Maxcare warranty.  Maintained to a tee like all my cars.  Had a rough idle, and then a day later a CEL.  Opened the hood and was astounded to find the coolant resevoir almost empty.  Pulled codes and got the P301, then looked on here and knew I had an issue. 

Must have started pretty quickly - I always eyeball the coolant tanks when checking oil, etc under the hood.  It's been at the Ford dealer for 8 days, still waiting for the Maxcare warranty inspector to go visit and confirm it's toast (Dealer said they have to do this all the time).  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 4:11 PM, Jhensley1607 said:

Add another one to the list.  2016, just turned 70K miles, and thankfully got the Carmax Maxcare warranty.  Maintained to a tee like all my cars.  Had a rough idle, and then a day later a CEL.  Opened the hood and was astounded to find the coolant resevoir almost empty.  Pulled codes and got the P301, then looked on here and knew I had an issue. 

Must have started pretty quickly - I always eyeball the coolant tanks when checking oil, etc under the hood.  It's been at the Ford dealer for 8 days, still waiting for the Maxcare warranty inspector to go visit and confirm it's toast (Dealer said they have to do this all the time).  

Update - was out of commission for 3 weeks at the Ford dealer but just got it back with a new 2022 Valencia produced long block.  Thanks to Carmax warranty was $300 instead of the $7,940 total on the 6 page bill.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

My wife’s 2019 Ford Edge Ecoboost was sputtering during acceleration between the 1500 and 2300 RPM range in traffic.  I changed the spark plugs thinking that may help.  

Now, the car idles rough, acts like it wants to die, and smells like rotten eggs from the exhaust.  

Any suggestions??

1 hour ago, Edgy2019 said:

Thanks for the reply.   I don’t have any error codes or a CEL.  I just tried starting it again after leaving the battery unplugged for the day (not that it would help) and it smells like it’s running rich. 

What did you use to check for codes?

Don't need the CEL on for codes to be stored.

What's the mileage and is still under warranty?

That same thing happened to me with my 2015 Escape at about the same mileage. If you frequent a Ford dealer go there first or go where you bought the car if it was a Ford dealership. They get $ from Ford to use for good customers for things like this. Then call corporate and talk to them about this. We did both of these things and because we are long time Ford owners (they can look it up and see) they worked with us and we were only out of pocket $2500. Not $0 but a lot less than the original. I just bought a 2021 Edge, I hope this doesn’t happen again! ?

• Like 1