Sign in to follow this  
theoldwizard1

My theory on why lug nuts fail

Well it looks like I will be replacing most of my lug nuts on my 2016 Edge.  I have done all of my own tires rotation for the past 5 years and managed to only bugger up 2 nuts.  I am using a Sunex flip lug nut set, which I recommend.

The stock/OEM lug nuts require a 21mm socket.  I know that some of the aftermarket use 22mm.  A 7/8" socket will fit an OEM lug nut (7/8" = 0.875" ; 22mm = 0.866" ; 21mm =  0.826"), but I guarantee they will mess up the chrome cap !

Now here is the crazy thing  !  The Edge lug nuts (ACPZ-1012-M) and the F150 lug nut (ACPZ-1012-B) look almost identical.  Same threads, same socket

Edge  F150

But $4.18 vs $0.90

Edited by theoldwizard1

I guess it depends on the F150 wheels, but I thought most F150s used the large seat like the Edge lugnuts on the left.

I picked up some Gorilla 61148CX to use when my factory Edge lugnut's caps start rusting and falling off.  They are little taller and stick out past the wheel a bit more.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts-page-09

24 pack

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334151861559?epid=1433548720&hash=item4dcd00c537:g:5zIAAOSwe31hRNk6

20 pack

https://www.ebay.com/itm/181391077645?epid=622863125&hash=item2a3bc0310d:g:rJ0AAOSw77RiYbgl

On 5/3/2022 at 8:50 AM, chipdog4 said:

I guess it depends on the F150 wheels, but I thought most F150s used the large seat like the Edge lugnuts on the left.

The "seat"  ( cone shaped taper at the bottom) is an "industry standard" 60° on both.  I am not sure why the F150 lug nuts have that extra 1/4" - 1/2" on material above that.

I was charged for replacing 3 lug nuts because they could not be reused.  When I got home, I discovered that more lugs nuts were damaged to the point that the socket that came with the car could not be used.

The dealer agreed to replace 4 additional lug nuts at no charge.

Edited by theoldwizard1

The shinny outer shell is aluminum, and the dealerships use a pneumatic impact wrench to remove and install the lug nuts, which distorts and stretches the aluminum.

My dealership using this method also chipped my wheels - as the lug nuts come off the sockets swings around a hammers the wheels.

When I confronted the dealership about the swollen lug nuts and damage to my wheels, he responded that they use torque sticks - well that only helps not to over torque the nuts, the impact action still destroys the soft aluminum shell.

He ordered a full set at no cost to me.

BTW, there is existing threads on this topic.

Edited by 1004ron

Do yourself a favor get rid of the FORD OEM lug nuts....and buy solid nuts

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 7:55 PM, theoldwizard1 said:

Well it looks like I will be replacing most of my lug nuts on my 2016 Edge.  I have done all of my own tires rotation for the past 5 years and managed to only bugger up 2 nuts.  I am using a Sunex flip lug nut set, which I recommend.

If you're looking for a quality lug nut set, I recommend checking out wheelssize.com. They have a great selection of lug nuts to choose from, and they're sure to have something that will fit your needs.

Edited by 1004ron

I recently found that there is a Ford Performance part (M-1012-M - link) that includes 5 lug nuts for the Mustang (which has the same lug nuts as the 2015+ Edge) for a retail price of USD 15. Searching online I find it for even less (eBay listing for 4 sets - Levittown Ford Parts). Making each lug cost nearly half as much as buying them individually. I ordered the set from the eBay listing and will update once received & installed to confirm. I had previously installed black lug nuts from Veritek (link to thread about them) however they quickly started to show rust after a few wheel removals/installations.

• Like 1