2021 Ford Edge - Forward Camera stop working after 5/13 Sync update.

The NHTSA website does not list a recall, or active investigation for the 2014 Ford Edge rear camera, but there are some customer complaints for what you described. You most likely have gotten other more helpful  replies. This forum has been very informative regarding the problem I and it seems many others are experiencing the 2021 front camera. 

That  is good news, we know they can make it work.  I assume when you enter your VIN number on the NHTSA web site, or other recall check,  it shows no recalls, meaning  even if there was one it has been addressed. The recall that caused the issue with the front camera, was 22S14, which addressed the rear camera cut out. It would seem either the 2022, or at least some 2022 models, were compatible with the original 22S14 fix,  or Ford has found a solution  to the problem, or the recent download was totally unrelated.  Anyway appreciate the information. 

• 3 weeks later...

+1 2021 ST. I’m fed up with this. This is my second Edge and this is a fundamental feature I’ve (previously) relied on heavily. The extreme delay in releasing a fix for this issue is entirely unacceptable. 

2022 owners, it’s pretty clear that this bug is only affecting 2021 models. Congratulations! ?

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I was moving my Edge from my front yard to my backyard. Just thought I'd try the front camera for the heck of it and it worked. Stayed on the whole time until I shut the car off. Was totally surprised so I  checked to see if any updates had been done and there weren't any. I'm so hoping it wasn't a fluke, but time will tell. 

If you did not exceed 6 mph (I believe that is cut off threshold) under normal circumstances, the camera will stay on.  The problem is after the initial start up the camera does work, but once you exceed the 6 mph it will not come on after that, until the car is restarted. that being said if it does work normally that would seem to be good news. As far as I am aware there has not been an update. 

John

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, John S said:

If you did not exceed 6 mph (I believe that is cut off threshold) under normal circumstances, the camera will stay on.  The problem is after the initial start up the camera does work, but once you exceed the 6 mph it will not come on after that, until the car is restarted. that being said if it does work normally that would seem to be good news. As far as I am aware there has not been an update. 

John

No sir. Mine would not stay on for any length of time. Even when I'm parking and trying to see in front of me it would not stay on.

The last OASIS Broadcast Message provides September 2022 target for software patch and OTA deployment for FordPass-connected vehicles, Dealer service bay for others...

Jun 17 2022 2021 Edge - Front Camera Inoperative After Vehicle Traveled Over 6MPH (10Km/h)

Some 2021 Edge vehicles may exhibit the front camera not turning back on if thecamera system button is pressed once the vehicle is below the speed threshold of 6MPH (10km/h). This may be due to the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) software. Inform customers that engineering is currently working on a solution for this condition and will be released via an over the air (OTA) software update, expected in September 2022. Software will update automatically if the vehicle is connected to FordPass. Monitor OASIS for additional information. Schedule a service appointment for customers that are not connected to FordPass once the repair becomes available.

September is not too far off. 

I'll post here immediately after I see any notice of the corrective update's availability.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

SEP 07 2022

I have the same issue with the forward camera now not functioning after a software update to fix freezing  rear camera ( did not have this issue software update was done by dealership during regular servicing in JUNE 22. Advised the “fix” was expected by Ford for September. 

Car in for the fix today but not available. Dealership very apologetic…hurry up and wait mode.

Edmonton Alberta 

I HAVE had my 2021 Ford Edge St since July 21 2021.. it has literally lived in the shop with multiple problems… finally after half year, they fixed all and THEN gave me this recall update which now along with all you other has broken my front facing camera… only works like the first gentleman says when u first start the car….. im over the top upset.. asked for buy back, entered the buy back program, I spent 56plus on a car that the camera doesn’t work, Ford is clueless, the dealership takes my car but makes sure they give it back to me (the fine gray line) within that timeframe that a buy back isnt warranty… I have been giving the run around for over 9 months…. How in Gods name can Ford not have an over the air fix to this when they built it? Taking OUT the recall and re installing it, I have heard nightmares of those who did this…. Finding that “perfect” tech isnt real… I have been to 3 dealerships , no one knows how to fix this because Ford hasn’t come up with the fix!! Im so frustrated … i have called Ford almost on a daily basis to keep busting them to get on this…. And I get the same girl or someone from another country who gives u the same info, how sorry they are, and understand my frustration, really???? Do you really??? I have now ask Ford for compensation. I am paying a monthly payment on a car that isnt 100% as promised and I cannot get anyone to listen to me…. Perhaps a class action suit? Surely you all who have same problem are just as frustrated as I am… im on every forum and I hearing, be nice to dealership, they will fix it… no they do not know how to fix this…. They when I beg lend me a car, and guess what, every car they lent me (a Ford Edge 2022 and above has the exact same issue… the camera doesn’t work, how in God name are they selling these broken cars to customers? At least mine worked !! Until the update!…. So Ford told me this, an update is coming in June 2022… then they told me they have it under control and update will be over the air and the fix will be July 2022, now I just got off the phone again and now the update is sept 2022… i am getting the run around… either fix my car, or buy it back… my car has just reached 3k miles!!!!! I cannot drive it without that camera, extremely hard to park! I want what was promised…. Why cant I have it? I have pictures, videos, and proof sitting with a tech… he told me “gremlins” got to the car and ditch it… I cant! Bc Ford says it must stay inside dealership for 15 days 3 times…. And for a whole year, each month(bc that is how they get u) it has been there for 5 days and then they tell me to come and get it… bc they have no fix nor room…. Then the letter comes from ford with my case number on it saying we cant help u… just like that… we cannot help you nor buy it back bc it doesn’t fit the bill…… Ford vehicles are going downhill…. If anyone here has a better way or a mechanic, im willing to drive to him, please help me out…. Regards.. and if there is a class action suit, please send me info. Thank you all in advance for hearing me vent! Rory

2 hours ago, Rory said:

I HAVE had my 2021 Ford Edge St since July 21 2021.. it has literally lived in the shop with multiple problems… finally after half year, they fixed all and THEN gave me this recall update which now along with all you other has broken my front facing camera… only works like the first gentleman says when u first start the car….. im over the top upset.. asked for buy back, entered the buy back program, I spent 56plus on a car that the camera doesn’t work, Ford is clueless, the dealership takes my car but makes sure they give it back to me (the fine gray line) within that timeframe that a buy back isnt warranty… I have been giving the run around for over 9 months…. How in Gods name can Ford not have an over the air fix to this when they built it? Taking OUT the recall and re installing it, I have heard nightmares of those who did this…. Finding that “perfect” tech isnt real… I have been to 3 dealerships , no one knows how to fix this because Ford hasn’t come up with the fix!! Im so frustrated … i have called Ford almost on a daily basis to keep busting them to get on this…. And I get the same girl or someone from another country who gives u the same info, how sorry they are, and understand my frustration, really???? Do you really??? I have now ask Ford for compensation. I am paying a monthly payment on a car that isnt 100% as promised and I cannot get anyone to listen to me…. Perhaps a class action suit? Surely you all who have same problem are just as frustrated as I am… im on every forum and I hearing, be nice to dealership, they will fix it… no they do not know how to fix this…. They when I beg lend me a car, and guess what, every car they lent me (a Ford Edge 2022 and above has the exact same issue… the camera doesn’t work, how in God name are they selling these broken cars to customers? At least mine worked !! Until the update!…. So Ford told me this, an update is coming in June 2022… then they told me they have it under control and update will be over the air and the fix will be July 2022, now I just got off the phone again and now the update is sept 2022… i am getting the run around… either fix my car, or buy it back… my car has just reached 3k miles!!!!! I cannot drive it without that camera, extremely hard to park! I want what was promised…. Why cant I have it? I have pictures, videos, and proof sitting with a tech… he told me “gremlins” got to the car and ditch it… I cant! Bc Ford says it must stay inside dealership for 15 days 3 times…. And for a whole year, each month(bc that is how they get u) it has been there for 5 days and then they tell me to come and get it… bc they have no fix nor room…. Then the letter comes from ford with my case number on it saying we cant help u… just like that… we cannot help you nor buy it back bc it doesn’t fit the bill…… Ford vehicles are going downhill…. If anyone here has a better way or a mechanic, im willing to drive to him, please help me out…. Regards.. and if there is a class action suit, please send me info. Thank you all in advance for hearing me vent! Rory

Welcome to the forum. I started to read this but couldn't finish due to eye strain. Paragraph format would have been nice.

• Like 2

If you’re getting that many problems you should contact a lemon law attorney but that lawyer will suck the money out of you. But seriously the used car market should allow you to sell pretty quick like you rented it. I drive mine like I stole it (after dropping off kids) since it is a ST version. If you don’t like in San Francisco (like me) or New York, you’ll survive without a front camera. Our parking lots allow for less than 6 inches of clearance on the sides.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rory said:

I think we all feel your frustration.  A big advantage of this forum is having someone who has access to the Ford OASIS, and if some positive activity occurs we will know. Also. you can file a customer complaint on the NHTSA web site, NHTSA.GOV. Under recalls you will see some complaints have already been filed for this problem. Enough complaints would eventually lead to ironically a recall to fix the front camera. Hopefully there will be a fix before that occurs. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 2:05 PM, Rory said:

How did you get in touch with Ford? I am beyond frustrated ? 

so... i contacted the law firm that is putting the class action thing together... You MUST take your car to Ford with the complaint about the camera, then Ford has to not fix it.  The problem with that is most dealers are booked out a few weeks for service, then you have to leave the car for them to look at it.. it's total bs. It's a widely known fact that there is no fix, and it's widely known that this is a real issue.. but still, you must inconvenience yourself to great lengths, just to get involved in a class action that may not be successful.  I've been involved in a class action with Ford over the transmission in my 2013 fusion titanium... for like 4 years.. 

28 minutes ago, McToberson said:

so... i contacted the law firm that is putting the class action thing together... You MUST take your car to Ford with the complaint about the camera, then Ford has to not fix it.  The problem with that is most dealers are booked out a few weeks for service, then you have to leave the car for them to look at it.. it's total bs. It's a widely known fact that there is no fix, and it's widely known that this is a real issue.. but still, you must inconvenience yourself to great lengths, just to get involved in a class action that may not be successful.  I've been involved in a class action with Ford over the transmission in my 2013 fusion titanium... for like 4 years.. 

What if you've already taken it to the dealer and they couldn't fix it?