motor swapped and wont start

Robert99

21 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

If this was a running engine that just quit working I wouldn't suspect the valve timing, but after hearing that I'll stick with my suggestion earlier in this thread - check the valve timing.

It was running when the company that remaned it tested it, if you spray started fluid it will run off that and in the computer it says "crank fuelling- disabled" messed with a few things and going to see if it runs tommmorow, if we can't figure it out I'll look into timing 

If it starts and runs smoothly with starter fluid then it points to a fuel delivery issue, if it doesn't start with starter fluid then there's a whole lot more to check, and the codes related to crank and cams out of sync would suggest timing is off.

Did the company tell you that it ran, or did you see it run?

20 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

If it starts and runs smoothly with starter fluid then it points to a fuel delivery issue, if it doesn't start with starter fluid then there's a whole lot more to check, and the codes related to crank and cams out of sync would suggest timing is off.

Did the company tell you that it ran, or did you see it run?

yes it starts and runs smooth on started fluid, we have gone through several things already, inertia switch is not it, fuel pump is new, 60psi fuel pressure, fuses and relays are good, the injectors are not being commanded on, the computer has 0 codes but it just cranks and will not start, ive gone through all the wiring and connectors and grounds those are all good, it is a new crank sensor but the cam sensors are the 1s that came with the engine the company tests each part before they sell them so we have paper work that it runs, the problem is somewhere on the car its self, we did reconnect 1 ground when we were testing the crank sensor but i have not got to try and crank it again yet since we did that, i ran the tests shown in the diagnostic PDF's above and everything is good from those tests too, except a small amount of voltage on 1 of the tests when there should be none, was reading at most 0.3v, i was going to try and crank it when i get to work tomorrow and see if anything has changed, going to double check the timing, we have 1 of the big matco scanners all the live data is good, spark timing is normal too, the reason we thought the crank sensor too is the computer was not reading any RPM's, i have to verify if its reading that now since i messed with the sensor

Well what we have now, we have fuel, the injectors are shooting fuel now, but still no spark, I just tried a new crank sensor (warrantied new 1 for a new 1) becaue there is no rpms in the computer or on the gauge and I checked all the wiring we have continuity and all the readings were inline with the tests so I'm not sure what to do next, going to keep trying a few things 

On 7/4/2022 at 7:18 PM, Robert99 said:

yes it starts and runs smooth on started fluid,

2 hours ago, Robert99 said:

Well what we have now, we have fuel, the injectors are shooting fuel now, but still no spark, I just tried a new crank sensor (warrantied new 1 for a new 1) becaue there is no rpms in the computer or on the gauge and I checked all the wiring we have continuity and all the readings were inline with the tests so I'm not sure what to do next, going to keep trying a few things 

There's no way it could have run on starter fluid if there was no spark, so something you've done since then has killed the spark.

It appears that you have started throwing parts at it hoping for the best, which typically has poor odds with something like this.

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

There's no way it could have run on starter fluid if there was no spark, so something you've done since then has killed the spark.

It appears that you have started throwing parts at it hoping for the best, which typically has poor odds with something like this.

That's what I'm wondering is what happened to the spark now? We aren't throwing parts at it we already put a new crank sensor in it and I took the 1 we had I'm there to check it and check the wiring and it was scratched up and had some metal on it, we cleaned it and cleaned out the bellhousing too, it was from the old starter failing, but im not sure what happened why there is no spark now, my boss had it running on starter fluid and then we pushed it in the shop and now no spark, I have checked fuses and relays again to double check all was good, checked wiring dont see anything messed up, so not sure but going to keep investigating 

Edited by Robert99

• 1 month later...

Ok so finally figured out what happened to our edge and it runs and drives now finally, so the remanned engine did not come with a trigger wheel for the crankshaft, which would explain why we had no RPM on the dash or computer and no spark, thanks for the help, the guide for the crankshaft system really helped to narrow it down, and that knowledge has helped me fix a couple other cars already too, we do have a mystery though, so how was it running off of starter fluid with no trigger wheel? That's what I dont get 

• Confused 1