Factory Trailer Hitch

Ok. The part arrived. Super easy install. Took me about 20 minutes including rounding up some parts. This did not come with screws so I ran to the auto parts store and got some #8 screws with washers. Be aware that the washers need to be bigger than the ones that came on the screws I bought, so be prepared for that. 

This is where the ends of the bracket attach. Remove nut on both ends. E5CB985C-A07E-48C5-B6B3-4E687327F6EC.thumb.jpeg.63d127ebc11f000dc42ca3754efc87be.jpeg

Now you just slide the front of the shield over the muffler and lift the floppy bumper enough to slide it in place on top of the bumper so the holes align. The tabs on the end of the shield go on the studs where you removed the nuts so screw those back on as seen below. 

277FBC9E-4E10-4FBA-9B1A-7AFABA0883A7.thumb.jpeg.d101e01e58fa3a35ad9411a6ef34f17f.jpeg

Now just screw in the 4 screws you got and that is it. Simple. I am going to go back and look at the drawings because there is still a gap in the center that I don’t like. If I can’t find a part, I will make something. I don’t want sand and dirt collecting in there. 

4663A66A-DF68-46E2-B0A6-68BBAE762E4A.thumb.jpeg.ef55870eb135446342fcc784488025fc.jpeg

The gap looks larger than it is because of the wide angle on the phone. It’s still too big for my taste.  At least the bumper is no longer loose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the rear bumper part and the hood insulator on order.  Should both be in Friday.  So, for the rear bumper part, you didn't have to take anything off to put this on?  When you say you had to round up some screws, were they for the 4 attach points to the rear bumper cover at the bottom?  It looks like for the two upper forward sides, you just took the nut off of the screw sticking out that was already there, put the new part on and tightened it down.  Is that correct?  

Also, what do the 4 screws you bought for the bottom 4 holes on the bumper cover go into?  When I look at mine they are just 4 holes and it looks like the new part slides in-between a small plastic bracket on the inside edge of the bumper cover above the holes.  Are these threaded so the screws just go in, or did you have to buy washers and nuts to put on top of the screws as they come upwards through the bumper cover.  Maybe you could send a picture of that that cross section with the screws going up looks like?

Edited by Davidoo
  • Like 1

Davidoo - There is no need to remove anything except those nuts (10mm) I showed in my post, and those go right back on.  This just slides in.  Make sure that you get the forward lip of it above the heat shield on top of the muffler and the end tabs go on those screws that I took pictures of in my post.  The new shield has the clip on threaded adapters for the screws so no need for nuts on top.  The rear (rear being to the back of the car) of the shield goes over the bumper cover and the screws go through the bumper into those clips.  I bought #8 screws but I probably could have used #10 as mine were very tight.  The holes in the bumper are too big for most screws so you need washers large enough to cover the hole.  You may want to measure the hole before you go buy unless you have a good supply on hand.  Once you put this in, you can't see a cross section without taking the thing out and I'm not going to do that.  

The only question I have is that there is a hole in the top front of the new shield that does not meet up with anything.  I'm not sure if I have to drill a hole into the pan under the spare tire and bolt that through or what.  And there is still a foot long gap in the new shield that I would like covered.  Maybe I'm too picky.  If anyone with the factory trailer hitch before they left this part off could look at theirs and see if this gap is there I would love to know.  

Good Luck - it's easy.

Thanks Kclonn.  I'm sure I'll be able to do it.  I noticed on the bottom of my bumper cover where the 4 holes are (2 on each side of the hitch) on the inside top of the bumper cover there appear to be some type of built in clips on top of each hole.  My vision isn't good enough to tell if they are threaded.  Did yours have those, and if so, did you slide the new deflector in between those so it is sandwiched between the bumper cover bottom and those additional clips?  I too would like to see a photo from someone with an earlier 2021 that had this part on.  I suspect that Ford may have just used the push in black fasteners that have a wide collar on the top so it wouldn't need a washer.  Those clips hold lots of parts of the car together and might work as well.  Thanks again.

Kclonn: Just noticed this, from November 30, 2021, regarding risk to the prospect of your dealer providing free under-hood insulation...

SSM 50313   2019-2022 Edge - Under Hood Insulation No Longer Equipped - Built On Or After 7-Feb-2019

2019-2022 Edge SE and SEL vehicles built on or after 7-Feb-2019 and Edge ST and Titanium vehicles built on or after 2-May-2019 are no longer equipped with an insulation panel on the underside of the hood. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts is not a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

The dealer finally got the rear deflector part and they installed it Friday.  I paid $117 plus tax for the part and nothing for the install. At least that was something positive.  Now I have the hood insulator and the rear bumper cover is secure and not flapping in the wind.  What a shame they are cutting out parts.  I can't imagine what they will leave off of the 23s.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Clonn, thanks for asking the question, and Haz and others with tips, thanks so much for your research!

My wife saw the valance flapping as we were coming back from the dealer after picking up our 22 Titanium (no towing package).  I looked under there, saw the unattached screw holes and thought holy crap, there's a heat shield missing!   We raced back to the dealer to look at others, and all the Edges had nothing there.  But no answers about why.

Turns out it's not a heat shield but this air deflector.  Just really, really lame, Ford. 

• Like 1

I ordered one from Ford parts and the dealer put it on for me for free.  They were embarrassed about Ford's cheapness in leaving this off.  I was able to peek at them putting it on and am sure I could have done it myself.  They didn't take anything off to get it on.  Only 6 screws, I believe.

• Like 1