Navigation Problem

34 minutes ago, pintokid said:

I've been checking this out but this seems to be a major update. This software can update Sync3 beyond what Ford provides, and even updates the maps for free. The video on their site shows the process to be pretty easy. So you did this? Any idea how this impacts future interaction with Ford? The car has an active recall so I know we'll be back in the dealer eventually.

Yes I've used the Cyanlabs update twice, the first time was a significant update to the graphics etc. and the FREE maps, and the second time I didn't notice much of an update on either the system or maps.

Before I used it the first time I paid for a map update which pissssssed me off because my 2017 had old 2015 maps.

When Cyanlabs first came out with this they didn't have their app, and that's why I was weary to try it, but now its simple.

Anyway, Ford no longer offer Sync updates for a 2017 model.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Because of my lack of confidence in the Sync3 routing and that my 5 year Sirius Traffic has expired, and I've recently been using Waze with a cable, I'm now ready to get a wireless Carplay device.

I'm looking at the OTTOCAST Wireless CarPlay Adapter 2022 which is $85 on Amazon with the $30 coupon.

Would appreciate advice on what device to get, and where to get it.

18 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Because of my lack of confidence in the Sync3 routing and that my 5 year Sirius Traffic has expired, and I've recently been using Waze with a cable, I'm now ready to get a wireless Carplay device.

I'm looking at the OTTOCAST Wireless CarPlay Adapter 2022 which is $85 on Amazon with the $30 coupon.

Would appreciate advice on what device to get, and where to get it.

I have to ask what is the advantage of using wireless Carplay? I plug my phone in and slide it into the cubby where the USB cable is and keep it moving till, I leave my truck.

19 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

I have to ask what is the advantage of using wireless Carplay? I plug my phone in and slide it into the cubby where the USB cable is and keep it moving till, I leave my truck.

I believe it is more convenient for some. Maybe a bit better for the ladies so they do not have to remove the phone from a purse? I use one when riding my motorcycle, as I keep forgetting to remove it from the assessable cubby hole when I get off the bike. One day my phone will be missing when I check?.

Use to use wireless. Comes on 2021standard. Stopped using it as long drives kills battery real fast, particularly if playing music with GPS active. Also gets confusing when wife gets in car and we need to change phone that is mirroring. So simple solution was to go backwards and just plug the phone we want to mirror to car in the USB since it needs to stay charged anyway. Wifi works great on short drives and getting in and out around town, but that is about it. Had lots of intermittent drop connections too, but that may have been improved.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sage said:

I believe it is more convenient for some. Maybe a bit better for the ladies so they do not have to remove the phone from a purse? I use one when riding my motorcycle, as I keep forgetting to remove it from the assessable cubby hole when I get off the bike. One day my phone will be missing when I check?.

I definitely get the convenience factor.

8 hours ago, MLTEdge said:

Use to use wireless. Comes on 2021standard. Stopped using it as long drives kills battery real fast, particularly if playing music with GPS active. Also gets confusing when wife gets in car and we need to change phone that is mirroring. So simple solution was to go backwards and just plug the phone we want to mirror to car in the USB since it needs to stay charged anyway. Wifi works great on short drives and getting in and out around town, but that is about it. Had lots of intermittent drop connections too, but that may have been improved.

That's just it, my lady loves it. Several of my coworkers love it! (We have them in a few company cars)  Unfortunately I've had more negatives that positives when using it. Like you, I've had similar experiences. I've had intermittent connectivity, phone overheating, poor battery life.

I'm definitely not against them.  In my limited experience, it just didn't work well for me when I tried. There's simply to much to keep up with technology. What's current today might be obsolete tomorrow. There's more than a few different ways to skin a cat as long as it can connect and work, that's all that matters.  Ron has good taste! The unit that he linked has a shit ton of positive reviews.  Might just be the one.

• Like 1