2015-2018 Edge SEL rear liftgate glass plastic black trim

rheld68

I discovered that the gloss black tim piece that is attached to the rear/back glass (positioned vertically on the outermost edges) has a hole in it and is cracked.  Not sure when or how it happened but it appears that it is simply stuck onto the rear glass with a two sided trim tape.  Seems like a simple fix......unfortunately, Ford appears to only sell them as an assembly with the back glass.  It seems silly to replace the entire rear glass for a simple piece of plastic.

Does anyone else have experience with this?  Is there a way to get the actual part I need?  

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

IMG_4480.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

• 3 years later...

a picture would help. are you talking about the vertical piece? is it broken or did it just come off?

did you take it to a dealer or an auto-glass repair place?

my guess is that they're telling you the whole thing needs to be replaced because the piece is bonded to the glass at the factory. Need to find out if it's available as a part. If so you can replace it.

The back glass listing on Ford's parts site indicates the flying buttress side moldings are not available separate from the glass assembly...

405570228_FordPartsWebsite-EdgeRearGlasswithSideMoldings5842006.thumb.jpg.aa0370ff5d4b43889d1518c16ddda6a4.jpg

1555228434_OnlinePhoto-2016EdgeSELRearGlasswithSideTrim5842006.thumb.jpg.110efcbfe438384d3eaaf362145ad587.jpg

It may be worth checking used-parts yards in your area to see if an Edge with rear damage/broken liftgate glass is available for you to remove its left side flying buttress molding.

The residue on your Edge's rear glass may give you an idea how easily the molding may be removed and/or re-applied. A hacksaw or wire-blade hand saw might work nicely, using the glass surface as a bottom cutting-guide.

Car-Parts.com is one online search site that may be helpful to you.  Listings typically include photos of the salvage vehicle that would allow you to assess the existing rear glass side molding(s).

Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2019 at 6:33 PM, rheld68 said:

I discovered that the gloss black tim piece that is attached to the rear/back glass (positioned vertically on the outermost edges) has a hole in it and is cracked.  Not sure when or how it happened but it appears that it is simply stuck onto the rear glass with a two sided trim tape.  Seems like a simple fix......unfortunately, Ford appears to only sell them as an assembly with the back glass.  It seems silly to replace the entire rear glass for a simple piece of plastic.

Does anyone else have experience with this?  Is there a way to get the actual part I need?  

You need to be very careful this is a very heavily glued on part and you can scratch or break glass without being careful. I didn’t like the way it looked and took it off. You need a really long razor blade and a large size drywall scraper because if you use something too small you will crack it at the edge of your lifting device. If it has cracks you can just wrap it with auto vinyl that’s the same black color . Again I took. Mine off because I didn’t like it lol. 

If you want pictures hollar 

Edited by 1004ron
No need to quote EVERYTHING

• 1004ron changed the title to 2015-2018 Edge SEL rear liftgate glass plastic black trim