TPMS sensor error - sensor battery life ?

1004ron

2017 Sport.

In about two to three months I'll be installing new tires for the second time in my ownership and was wondering what life folks have been getting from their TPM Sensors, so that I can decide on installing new ones now at just over five years, or take a chance until the next tire change which would have the original sensors at 7.5 yo.

TPMS typically last 7 to 10 years.

Also, what make and model sensors are installed in my 2017 Sport?

Originally I had a sensor going bad at around the ten year mark. It would stop working. Drove on and it would start up again. At first it only popped up once in awhile, every couple of months. Then became more frequent and took longer to come back. Finally what took 20 minutes or so, took days.

At my last tire change, I had new sensors installed. I decided to go Motorcraft. Dealer always uses an aftermarket brand, Chinese, said they have problems in about 1 in 4 with them. Motorcraft are expensive compared to the Chineese junk, but at least no problems in the future. 

Had a wheel replaced last year, and they reused to Motorcraft sensor but didn't have a new Motorcraft strap in stock. So they used a NAPA strap. That pos broke after a few days and they located a Motorcraft strap at another dealer in an ajoining state. No problems since. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Received and tested my new TPMS - working great and will have them installed when I fit new tires later this month.

I ordered these from the same supplier that I bought my BMW motorcycles TPMS from about a year ago - they're installed and working.

$33 including shipping for a set of 4.

Order date: Jun 19, 2022 - 16 days

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806123050754.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.17.450a4cc6yJXhND&algo_pvid=6de501dc-969d-4ac7-a292-8c84d182f09f&algo_exp_id=6de501dc-969d-4ac7-a292-8c84d182f09f-8&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!23.60!18.88!!!23.60!!%402103297417022527717081027eb84d!12000036706129732!sea!US!0!AB&curPageLogUid=4zf0ZSMEZuh6

IMG_8646.JPG

Also on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013GU2VTI/?coliid=I29T2MXYNEX3SF&colid=17XD4QIGE1U54&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

The TPMS sensors seen in the above post were installed by Discount Tire today when they installed a set of Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra 265 /40 R21, and everything is working perfectly.

I got 50K miles on the original P-Zero tires and only 31K miles on the Atturo's - the Atturo were down to the wear bars, and they were treacherous in the recent heavy rains we've had in KY.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1004ron said:

The TPMS sensors seen in the above post were installed by Discount Tire today when they installed a set of Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra 265 /40 R21, and everything is working perfectly.

I got 50K miles on the original P-Zero tires and only 31K miles on the Atturo's - the Atturo were down to the wear bars, and they were treacherous in the recent heavy rains we've had in KY.

Did the vehicle read the sensors automatically and show correct tire pressures or was there a procedure performed?

5 hours ago, omar302 said:

Did the vehicle read the sensors automatically and show correct tire pressures or was there a procedure performed?

They did the learn procedure, so don't know if it could or would do it automatically after a few miles.

They are showing pressure accurately.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

About a year ago I had new tires/rims installed. A month ago this "TPM sensor error" message showed up in the dash. The tire guys told me all sensors are OK, reset them via OBD II. Now the message is back again. It appears that one of the sensors is not OK, right? Do I have to live with that resetting every couple of weeks? It's an 80mi roundtrip each time.

27 minutes ago, edgemaster said:

Thanks, my Edge is a 2009 LTD. I'm assuming the sensors are new, installed a year ago with the tires/rims.

Unless asked, a tire fitment shop isn't going to install new sensors with new tires.

The pro level tool that good tire shops have can also assess the sensors battery level.

These sensors are very reliable, and when they go bad its usually the battery that's reached it end of life, which is around 5 to 10 years.

Please add it to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

33 minutes ago, edgemaster said:

It was Discount Tire and they told me they had installed the sensors.

Do they show on the invoice?

If they're on your invoice, check what kind of warranty they have.

Please add it to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

Edited by 1004ron

Edgemaster

I have a 2010 SE which doesn't have a message center, so when a tire loses pressure a light comes on and I have to figure out which one is bad. If you have a full size spare or one of your old wheels you could try putting it on one wheel at a time and see if your message changes. An easier thing to try would be to let some air out of the tires one at a time and seeing if you get a low pressure warning for the tire you're working on. If you get a warning, then the sensor is working. Don't forget to air up before you go to the next tire.

Edited by 1004ron

I'm getting ready to rotate my tires and my new spare. I was reading up on what Haz posted for me in another thread and came across this:

TPMS indicator FLASHES for 70 seconds and then remains ON solid when the ignition key is turned to the ON position, the message center (if equipped) displays TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT and DTC B2872 is present Intermittent TPMS operation due to Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) TPMS sensors not trained Not all TPMS sensors are installed TPMS sensor(s) SJB NOTE: If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a "sleep mode" to conserve battery power. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the SJB . ACTIVATE the TPMS sensors. REFER to Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Activation in this section. GO to Pinpoint Test F. TPMS indicator FLASHES for 70 seconds and then remains ON solid when the ignition key is turned to the ON position, the message center (if equipped) displays TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR FAULT and DTC B287A is present TPMS sensors not trained Not all TPMS sensors are installed NOTE: If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a "sleep mode" to conserve battery power. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the SJB . ACTIVATE the TPMS sensors. REFER to Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Activation in this section. GO to Pinpoint Test F. TPMS indicator FLASHES for 70 seconds and then remains ON solid when the ignition key is turned to the ON position, the message center (if equipped) displays TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR FAULT and there are no DTCs present Vehicle communication issue between the SJB and the Instrument Cluster (IC) REFER to Section 418-00 to diagnose the no communication concern. SJB REFER to Section 419-10 to diagnose the SJB .

Edited by 1004ron

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. I had a sensor in my 0mkx that did the same thing (the battery is designed to last 10 years). Finally got tired of this pesky annoyance popping up took the car in and got all new sensors. Talked to the service manager (guy is really knowledgeable) and discussed Motorcraft vs. chineese aftermarket. He said the get around one or more failure in every batch. The all work fine when first installed but the bad one(s) start to go bad after a few months. 

If I remember correctly, Motorcraft ran around $50 and aftermarket around half that. Plus new straps.

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

Yup. I had a sensor in my 0mkx that did the same thing (the battery is designed to last 10 years). Finally got tired of this pesky annoyance popping up took the car in and got all new sensors. Talked to the service manager (guy is really knowledgeable) and discussed Motorcraft vs. chineese aftermarket. He said the get around one or more failure in every batch. The all work fine when first installed but the bad one(s) start to go bad after a few months. 

If I remember correctly, Motorcraft ran around $50 and aftermarket around half that. Plus new straps.

I bought two sensors for my BMW motorcycle and a set of four for my 2017 Sport from Aliexpress.

The ones for the BMW are Schrader and been in service for more than a year, and the four in my Sport have been in service for 3.5 months - no issues.

BMW sells the TPMS sensors for $250 each and I paid $10 each.

The ones you bought from a local retailer most likely came from the same factory in China as the ones I bought.

My "Made in China" iPhone is still going strong.

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 9.04.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 9.05.03 PM.png

• Like 2

• 1004ron changed the title to TPMS sensor error

Hello.

This topic has also become more active for me. After replacing the wheels with winter tires two weeks ago, the sensor learning procedure did not end successfully, it stops on the RR tire.

Tomorrow I want to try to put a tire with summer tires during the training and finish the training.

So I want to make sure that the RL sensor is working and I only need to replace the RR sensor.

I want to ask a question why during training you can't just put a sensor not mounted in the tire.

Is it related to the pressure that must be present in the tire to pass the test?

I also do not understand why Ford makes do each training time when changing wheels and don't store sensors in memory.

Thanks for any comments on this topic.

Edited by 1004ron
Drop the unessesary coding and background color

You don't need to mount the tires to perform the learn process - when my new sensors were installed the tech did the learn procedure while one wheel was a fair distance away from the car on the balancer - he just walked up to it with the activation tool.

You don't have to perform the learn procedure when fitting new wheels and sensors - just drive about 15 miles and it will automatically link to the new sensors and their location on the vehicle - its just quicker to do the learn procedure.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

TPMS faults - random failures or age related (battery)?

Car is 2013 model, tried resetting it in Forscan, no joy. Will have another look at how to pinpoint but if you any experience of replacement of TPMS/battery, please let me know. Thank you.

• Like 1