Dash Board Glare??

blockisle9

• 1 month later...

Our 08 wasn't bad untill the dealer did the interior finishing touch on it and whatever they put on the dash made the glare horrable.

This weekend I plan on using a cleaner on it to take down shine then using a meguires product on it and that should work nicely.

Ā 

The meguires leaves a nice clean look to the dash and plastics without the shiny.

Ā 

hope this helps

personally.. the 'shinny' dash is not the issue. glare is very well documented in these cars. looking at the photo, you would see the glare, shine or not. I think it more of an issue of the angle of the glass and angle of the dash as I have never had it so bad in a car. for example, you will never see this glare in a Toyota FJC.. why? the windshield is nearly vertical. it just happens to be the right combo of angles and you should never have to worry about what you put on your dash to cause an issue.. I have seen this many times while not a clean shiny dash in the Edge, I just photo'd it this time.

• 1 month later...

My dash has no shine whatsoever, so the only reflection I get is the vents at the edge of the window. I think the severe slant of the window has a lot to do with it. The lower part is very close to the dash, so a shiny dash will reflect halfway up or so.

Ā 

Ā 

I just recently realized how bad it can actually be while driving back 16 hours from Colorado. it can be bad. I even tried to catch a photo of it it was so bad, but my photo cannot do the true glare justice. at times, it was noticeable enough to .. to make me want to try to photo it.

Ā 

post-2453-1248371561_thumb.jpg

I have said it before and will say it again, as have others who deal with the reflection.. it is not shine related. trust me. it is the simple and easy conclusion to jump to. I could dull that dash and you will still get the issue. I just dealt with it again coming down from the mountains this weekend. once you are keen to it, it is obvious. and my dash is "dull" so to speak. it is all about light and angle of windshield. yeah, sure, maybe the "shine" might - and I say might - add a bit to it, but it is there heavy nonetheless. IIRC, Ford took steps to address it after it was noticed in the '07 models.

Ā 

that photo above, it does not do the issue justice.

I have an 07 MKX and have never noticed glare from the dash. I suspect the problem is where the driver is sitting. I am 6 feet 4 inches tall and think that may be why I have not experienced the glare. My head is quite close to the roof. Try raising the seat as much as possible to see if that helps.

Lex, that is a seriously shiny dashboard. I did not pay much attention to this topic until today, and just saw the picture. The shiny reflects more light back at the window creating more reflection. Unless somehow I have a different dash than you do, but mine is an '08 also. ??

Ā 

I am going to try to get a good in the light pic of mine today if the sun comes back out.

I know this picture is lame, cell phone pic. But it shows the dash is not shiny. If you look to the right side you can see a little reflection. What I noticed driving right into the sun is that I see reflection where the vents are at the bottom edge of the windshiled and if I look to the right, about halfway up I see it from the dash, but not directly in front of me.

post-6207-1252593513_thumb.jpg

Lex, that is a seriously shiny dashboard. I did not pay much attention to this topic until today, and just saw the picture. The shiny reflects more light back at the window creating more reflection. Unless somehow I have a different dash than you do, but mine is an '08 also. ??

Ā 

I am going to try to get a good in the light pic of mine today if the sun comes back out.

Ā 

nope.. that is not it. trust me. I hope I come across knowledgable here with all the things I have done, and if so, you must see I have no reason to fib when I tell you the "shine" is not the issue. Your cell phone picture above, not even in good substantial light to catch anything, so not a good representation for this issue. As I said, I know I know I know it is easy to blame the glare on the shine. But you know, as I have said, I get the same issue when less shine! just not had a camera handy to prove it yet. but I will. Look at my picture above, notice how you cannot even see the "shine" in the window glare. it cancels it out. it looks like regular glare. why? because the shine is not the issue here.

Ā 

Now, just for the sake of argument, so what if it is "shine"? so what. a person cannot use a product to clean the dash and leave a shine in fear of having such bad glare, you cannot see clearly?? preposterous. I should be able to use any car care product I want to clean and dress my dash - as I have on my past 10 cars with no issue - and not have a fear of not being able to see correctly in certain light/angle conditions.

Ā 

on a side note, I think parcs makes an interesting point. I am 5' 10" and he is 6' 4" and that could come into some play in the whole angle issue of angle of dash versus windshield versus the driver.

No arguments at all Lex. Just discussion about possibilities. I know the picture sucks, it was in bright sun but does not show, but it shows what I see to the right and I described that I see the vents in the center. Do not see anything in front of me. I am thinking also that height has something to do with it also. I am 5'6" and barely see over the steering wheel. So height of the driver and the angle of the windshield could be why we all see different things? I really like my Edge, but this and some other design issues make you wonder if anyone field tested it before it went on the assembly line.

here are some more photos.. BEFORE you comment about the supposed "glossy" dash note that (1) I wiped it down and that just is what it is on a daily basis and (2) I think some of you think the "glossy" dash is due to something on the dash when in fact, it is sun glare on the dash.

Ā 

this is just to further document the issue and show those that claim they do not have it... what it looks like.. these picture pretty much tell the story as the glare is glaringly (no pun intended) obvious. it is really noticeable while driving into the sun I noticed, less of an issue with the sun from left, right, back. I did not plan to do this, it just came up while I was driving. these photo capture it as good as you will ever see it.

Ā 

post-2453-1253288108_thumb.jpg

post-2453-1253288116_thumb.jpg

post-2453-1253288122_thumb.jpg

post-2453-1253288129_thumb.jpg

post-2453-1253288138_thumb.jpg

I have a 08 with a black dash. It isn't shiny and I don't get the reflections like Lex.

Ā 

well, it must be (1) when/where we are driving or (2) we are different heights or seat angles as someone else postulated or (3) your just not noticing it - which just can't be given the case as it so plain as day as one can see with the photos - as there is nothing different from my car to yours in this aspect. same windshield, same glass & dash angles, same dash, same colors, same materials, etc. it makes no sense, in this instance, to get different results given our cars are the exact same setup. unless, like I said, it is #1,2,3 above.

Ā 

there was nothing special done to capture these images. I was driving, I was like "damn", I pulled out the cell phone camera, snapped the photos, there you have it. real world, real life scenario - captured it on film. clearly showing how bad the glare can obscure your view. hell, you can see the vents better than some of the roadside scenery. did you even notice the cyclists in image #3?

Ā 

if I setup your cars seats just like mine, and drove it, there should be no reason the exact same thing would not appear given the right sun/light conditions. but that is a huge part of what this is all about - right lighting conditions that exploit the funky set-up of the car.