Oil...anyone using 5W30 rather than 5W20?

Goldy

I have wondered about using AMSOIL in my 2013 EDGE but, it sounds like Ford does not give you many options on oil. How does there warranty really read. Will they warranty your vehicle if you use another oil besides Motorcraft.

As long as it's a 5W20 oil that meets the Ford spec you can use whatever you want. I don't think the Amsoil 5W20 matches the spec but you'd have to check to be sure.

• 1 year later...

I can't believe how anal folks get about oil--- I'll bet there's no one here who can document an engine wearing out because of one brand or the other. Most of the engines in today's automobiles will outlast the rest of the car if you simply follow owner manual recommendations. In example, my '91 Explorer developed problems everywhere but the engine. At 135,000 miles, the vehicle was pretty much used up but the engine was still in perfect condition. I used to call it my EXPLODER---- Oil used in the engine was rarely ever the same brand twice---

But, y'all keep arguing--- it makes for interesting and humorous readings!

Got a problem with oil and viscosity related topics then dont read em and certainly do not reply!! Got that y'all!? This yankee despises the slang Y'all!

I have been using 5W 30 since 2011, when I brought my Edge back to Finland from Canada as the 5W 20 is not available here.

I would never normally recommend going from a 5W to a 10W (if 5W is stated) as it could be hard on the cold start up but I noticed your location is Qatar so I am guessing that you never get a cold start like I have to experience in the winter -30°C or even -40°C.

But still add 5W if you can.

• 11 months later...

My '01 F-150 4.2 V6 called for 5w-20, it was one of the few engines that year that was 50 state legal. I'm not sure, but I think it had more to do with tighter tolerances which the lighter oils played well with. I moved to full synthetic 5w-20 after about 30,000 miles, and it still doesn't use oil to this day with 120k on the odometer. I would never dream of changing oil weights, except in an emergency. I'm on a once a year schedule now, and love it.

Edited by Carhaul Rich