DRL's Daytime running lights

I understand Kirby but every vehicle if sold as a fleet sale has the option to have DRL's. Why fleet and personal use is different I have no idea

Back on your 2007 Edge it was simple, DRLs are either on or off. The BCM module that had the software for the DRL was configured specifically for the 2007 Edge, so when DRLs were turned on, the power went to the proper DRLs.

With the new modules, the same module is used for all Fords. The parameters are not simply a 0 for off and a 1 for on. The BCM parameter for DRL can be set to 0 (off), 1 (fog lights), 2, (PWM modulated headlights), 3 (accent lights), 4 (turn signals), 5 (a combination of 1 and 3 maybe) and so on (I don't know that those numbers and configs are true, just showing for an example). Even if the Edge doesn't ever have all of those lights available, the parameters are still there in the BCM. When Ford activates DRLs at the factory, they know an Edge with X and Y options needs to have the parameter set to 1 but an Edge with options Y and Z needs to have the parameter set to 2. But a dealer does not know whether a car brought to them should be a 1 or a 2 or any other number. This is different than in the past, cars like my 07 Mariner did just have a simple 0 or 1 DRL setting and for those it was simple for the dealer to change. The DRL setting was essentially hard-wired into the BCM so that it could only turn on the correct DRL lights, But Ford realized that as the cars got more complicated with more lighting options, they had to build cars with different BCM part numbers when they had different DRL options. So they added the multiple parameter method and since then it's been much more difficult for dealers to activate DRLs correctly.

Here are the FMVSS requirements: If your DRLs don't meet these requirements, they are ILLEGAL in EVERY state.

S5.5.11(a) Any pair of lamps on the front of a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus, whether or not required by this standard, other than parking lamps or fog lamps, may be wired to be automatically activated, as determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, in a steady burning state as daytime running lamps (DRLs) and to be automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any “on” position, and as otherwise determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, provided that each such lamp:(1) Has a luminous intensity not less than 500 candela at test point H-V, nor more than 3,000 candela at any location in the beam, when tested in accordance with Section S11 of this standard, unless it is:(i) A lower beam headlamp intended to operate as a DRL at full voltage, or at a voltage lower than used to operate it as a lower beam headlamp; or(ii) An upper beam headlamp intended to operate as a DRL, whose luminous intensity at test point H-V is not more than 7,000 candela, and which is mounted not higher than 864 mm above the road surface as measured from the center of the lamp with the vehicle at curb weight;(2) Is permanently marked “DRL” on its lens in letters not less than 3 mm high, unless it is optically combined with a headlamp;(3) Is designed to provide the same color as the other lamp in the pair, and that is one of the following colors as defined in SAE Standard J578 MAY88: White, white to yellow, white to selective yellow, selective yellow, or yellow;(4) If not optically combined with a turn signal lamp, is located so that the distance from its lighted edge to the optical center of the nearest turn signal lamp is not less than 100 mm, unless:(i) The luminous intensity of the DRL is not more than 2,600 candela at any location in the beam and the turn signal meets the requirements of S5.3.1.7; or(ii) (For a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus that is manufactured before October 1, 1995, and which uses an upper beam headlamp as a DRL as specified in paragraph S5.5.11(a)(1)(ii)) the luminous intensity of the DRL is greater than 2,600 candela at any location in the beam and the turn signal lamp meets the requirements of S5.3.1.7; or(iii) The DRL is optically combined with a lower beam headlamp and the turn signal lamp meets the requirements of S5.3.1.7; or(iv) The DRL is deactivated when the turn signal or hazard warning signal lamp is activated.(5) If optically combined with a turn signal lamp, is automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated.(B) Any pair of lamps that are not required by this standard and are not optically combined with any lamps that are required by this standard, and which are used as DRLs to fulfill the specifications of S5.5.11(a), shall be mounted at the same height, which shall be not more than 1.067 m above the road surface measured from the center of the lamp on the vehicle at curb weight, and shall be symmetrically disposed about the vertical centerline of the vehicle.

Edited by Waldo

I Understand what you're saying. At first the dealer said it was impossible to turn them on in my 2011 but they later found out with me pointing them in the right direction thanks to this forum you could. My 13 also had them turned on.

However you can't buy a fleet purchase with the option to turn them on but tell a consumer buying the same model they can't be. Ford needs to set the correct perimeters for each vehicle. Not very hard to do. Comes down to communication between Ford and dealer

Again - fleet models have DRLs activated from the factory because they know the correct settings for each vehicle. Ford COULD allow DRLs to be installed at the factory but they choose not to. And trying to tell the dealers which DRL setting is legal for every single vehicle and option combination just isn't feasible.

Could Ford to it? Sure. But it isn't nearly as easy as just off and on as Waldo pointed out.

These LED strips are adding a lot of complexity. On Audis when the turn signal is on the LED strip on that side goes off.

Ford definitely could. The LED strips on the edge are minimal at best as far lumen output so I can't see that being a concern. I do understand some cars with bright LEDs turning off with turn signal activation and makes sense. Ford found a way to create what should be a simple option into a nightmare.

I'm curious to see if the 2016 model will have the option available

It has nothing to do with brightness. As far as DOT is concerned a light is a light and laws are laws.

Of course Ford COULD do this from the factory. Where did anyone say otherwise?

Blame designers for wanting fancier LEDs and combining those with DRL functionality - and consumers for wanting to buy them. That is resulting on some complicated designs that have to jump through hoops to remain DOT compliant. If they changed the laws then it would be much easier.

e.g. for years now (maybe decades) when you have your fog lights on and hit the brights, the fog lights go off. Why? Because the brights usually illuminate 2 filaments in each headlamp for a total of 4, and adding the fog lights equals 6 and the law only allows 4. DRLs that use additional separate lights only add to the complexity.

My argument with Ford is if an Edge is bought as a fleet purchase they can add DRL's from the factory. There shouldn't be a reason why a dealer with the exact same car with identical specs can't go into the computer and turn them on. It comes down to the computer being programmed to fit the vehicle being serviced. Computers if programmed correctly will only permit the correct option available.

Ford is just being lazy

Also I'm not sure if you have DRL's on your vehicle but on mine they all came with the turn signal lamps only. The LED's do not come on with them

I know we are beating a dead horse here but Ford needs to take consumers concerns more seriously. They finally woke up with MFT but that's another topic

I Understand what you're saying. At first the dealer said it was impossible to turn them on in my 2011 but they later found out with me pointing them in the right direction thanks to this forum you could. My 13 also had them turned on.

However you can't buy a fleet purchase with the option to turn them on but tell a consumer buying the same model they can't be. Ford needs to set the correct perimeters for each vehicle. Not very hard to do. Comes down to communication between Ford and dealer

Ford doesn't allow the dealer's to turn on fleet cars either. Fleet DRLs are enabled at the factory, not at dealers. This also allows Ford to charge for them so that they get the money, not the dealers.

I know we are beating a dead horse here but Ford needs to take consumers concerns more seriously. They finally woke up with MFT but that's another topic

They did, as of 2015 most Ford models have DRLs configurable by the customer from the cluster menus. Doesn't help anyone with a 2014 or earlier though.

• Like 1

They did, as of 2015 most Ford models have DRLs configurable by the customer from the cluster menus. Doesn't help anyone with a 2014 or earlier though.

Which is the right solution. Much, much, much simpler than trying to give dealers all the right information and options on a vehicle by vehicle basis.

• 4 years later...

Hello, does anyone know how to have the high beams to be the DRL? Currently they are set to my low beams which are aftermarket LED and they won’t stay on in DRL mode since the power sent to the headlight when DRL is activated isn’t enough to keep them on until the headlights fully turn themselves on when it  gets dark out. I took it to my local dealership and they had no idea what I was talking about and didn’t even try to hear me out about possible solutions. There has to be a way since I’ve seen Edge’s with HID low beams have DRL set to the high beams. 

12 minutes ago, Gunnar82495 said:

Hello, does anyone know how to have the high beams to be the DRL? Currently they are set to my low beams which are aftermarket LED and they won’t stay on in DRL mode since the power sent to the headlight when DRL is activated isn’t enough to keep them on until the headlights fully turn themselves on when it  gets dark out. I took it to my local dealership and they had no idea what I was talking about and didn’t even try to hear me out about possible solutions. There has to be a way since I’ve seen Edge’s with HID low beams have DRL set to the high beams. 

I'm not surprised the dealership didn't understand the request.

2 hours ago, Gunnar82495 said:

Hello, does anyone know how to have the high beams to be the DRL?

Hi Gunnar,

I've done exactly what you're trying to do.  My DRL is what 'used' to be the high beam (using an LED designed as a fog)  and my low beam is now an HID.  Here's the guide you'll need to make the (2) changes in FORScan.  You'll be changing 02 to 20:

Set DRL To Specific Front Lights

(BdyCM) 726-45-01

xxxx Xxxx xxxx Set value at XX to 7F This setting enables all choices in the list for DRL options

BdyCM

726-50-01 (2014+ MY) XXxx

01 (Disabled - Default (USA) / No DRL)
02 (Enabled - DRL Low Beams)
04 (Enabled - DRL Front Fog Lamps)
08 (Enabled - DRL Front Turn Lamps)
10 (Enabled - DRL Dedicated) - Enables BCM DRL Outputs - C2280C Pins 36 (Right) and 40 (Left)
20 (Enabled - DRL High Beams)
40 (Enabled - DRL Low Beams and Dedicated)

Edit to add: I just noticed you're a new member of the forum and this was your first post so you might not be familiar with FORScan.  You'll definitely want to spend time learning about that (search this forum) or visit http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573 to learn about it.

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gunnar82495 said:

So if want to do my Edge's running lights (front turn signals) instead I would use code 08? Also, does anyone have a code to get the Panoramic Vista Roof to auto close completely instead of stopping right before the pop-up screen wind guard?

Yes, 08. 

There's no code for the moon roof.  I'm guessing it makes that safety stop just to be sure someone hasn't decided to raise their hand (or head) through the roof, unaware it's closing.  Before you scoff, think of all the bone headed things you've seen people do.  ;)

That's disappointing, i was able to down load ForScan, got a free trial extended license, and my adapter coming in today. I am going to start with the DRL configuration, and then i saw there is a code to add the climate control into the right dash screen (I've seen a million fords with the climate control feature in the right dash screen) but on my edge it is disabled. My edge also only does the remote window down but not up, i saw there was a code for that option that i wanted to try as well. Has anyone had success with either of those?

3 hours ago, Gunnar82495 said:

i saw there is a code to add the climate control into the right dash screen (I've seen a million fords with the climate control feature in the right dash screen) but on my edge it is disabled. My edge also only does the remote window down but not up, i saw there was a code for that option that i wanted to try as well. Has anyone had success with either of those?

Yes, both.  Beware, once you start modifying settings you'll keep finding other things to 'fix.'  Like, turning off the horn honking when you walk away from the Edge with the engine running (and fob in your pocket) turn off the horn honk when you press the lock button a second time (you'll want to do that once you enable the global window 'up' feature....and so it goes.  You can actually put all of your climate control hard buttons on the screen but it gets a little crowded.  If you decide you want to swap your current turn signal bulbs for LED you can turn off hyperflash instead of using resistors and so much more.

In case I neglected to mention it earlier, before you make 'any' changes, Use FORScan to make a backup of your current system.  You can also download your entire 'as built' setup from Ford's service site: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt 

If something goes wrong you'll have a way to restore every module to factory fresh.

Cheers!

So i was able to get my DRL to be my running light! I was also able to disable the double horn beep when you leave the car with the key fob. When i look at the link with the nice spreadsheet for the different things you can configure, some of the lines that are listed on the spreadsheet are not in my modules in ForScan, does that mean i can't configure those options then? For example the auto tilt side mirrors when in reverse, i have memory seats and mirrors but the option on the spread sheets says to go to a line that starts with 720 but all i have are 726 lines (the beginning numbers for each line all the way to the far right). Now here is something even more interesting, the remote close window code is already configured correctly, but it does not work with my key fob like the auto down windows do, in my settings i only have remote open there is no remote close option to select. I do have auto up and down window switches though on the inside of the car. Lastly I could not add the climate control into the right dash screen since the code it needed me to configure does not show on my module, I'm assuming i can't do that one either? 

32 minutes ago, Gunnar82495 said:

Lastly I could not add the climate control into the right dash screen since the code it needed me to configure does not show on my module, I'm assuming i can't do that one either? 

What brand/model OBDII module are you using?  The inexpensive bluetooth variety only show a few of the modules.  To see everything you need an OBDLink MX or MX+ or this wired reader: https://amzn.to/2ZglBH9

If I recall correctly, moving cooling/heating controls to the center screen are all APIM codes.  To enable your remote windows up you need to change three things (hard to find in the spreadsheet).  They are:

BdyCM (As-Built):
726-17-01 0101 0101 014A
726-17-02 0101 0101 014B
726-30-01 0101 0000 0060

DDM:
740-05-01 Dxxx xx

PDM:
741-05-01 Dxxx xx

Again, if you can't see the DDM or PDM modules you'll need a better code reader to get everything done.

Cheers!

• Like 1

FORScan OBD2 Adapter, bbfly VINT-TT55502 ELMconfig ELM327 modified For all Windows compatible with Ford Cars F150 F250 and Light Pickup Truck Accessories Scan Tool, Code Reader MS-CAN HS-CAN Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N18TOFB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vlixDb3BYH4W2 that is the reader I am using now. I will send it back and order the one you posted and see if get more modules to pop up. It was having a hard time connecting when I first tried. Seriously thank you so much for your help and answering all of my questions! I really appreciate it. I literally owe you! 

12 hours ago, Gunnar82495 said:

FORScan OBD2 Adapter, bbfly VINT-TT55502 ELMconfig ELM327

That reader 'should' be working for you.  FORScan should recognize the device then polling you to be sure it's recognized your vehicle.  After that it'll start loading the MS modules then asking you to flip the switch to load the rest.  Once loaded you should be able to click on the gear icon and see 'all' of the modules.  If the switch is in the wrong position to load the one you want, FORScan should ask you to flip the switch again.   If any of that isn't happening then something's wrong with the reader.

Cheers!