Heating Problems

Theakerr

I have a 2008 Edge Limited. I have always thought the heater was barely adequate, but just figured I'd have to live with it. Then the campaign letter arrived a couple of weeks ago and I thought "That's it!". When the temps in my area get down below 20 degrees (F), it takes forever to get the cabin warm and the air coming out of the vents is only luke warm, NEVER HOT. Turning up the fan or setting it to 90, actually makes it worse: the air seems to get cooler.

I brought it into the dealer with the letter last week. To make a long story short, the claimed they performed the recommended tests and determined the problem wasn't the heater core, it was the thermostat. Since it wasn't the heater core, I had to pay $89.00 labor for the diagnosis and then another $149.00 the next day parts/labor to replace the thermostat.

The heater performance is no better. It was 4 degrees outside this morning and it took 45 minutes to feel any warmth in the cabin at all with the fan cranking at full speed the whole trip. I had the control set to 75 and there is no way it was that warm in there. It felt like MAYBE 60 degrees. Switching to "recirc" made things better, but as soon as I switch it back the air temp from the vents drops again. I'm not happy and will be talking to them tomorrow about the next step(s) and getting my money back for the repairs they did that didn't fix the problem.

Unless you are over on your mileage why should you be paying anything?

I have a 2008 Edge Limited. I have always thought the heater was barely adequate, but just figured I'd have to live with it. Then the campaign letter arrived a couple of weeks ago and I thought "That's it!". When the temps in my area get down below 20 degrees (F), it takes forever to get the cabin warm and the air coming out of the vents is only luke warm, NEVER HOT. Turning up the fan or setting it to 90, actually makes it worse: the air seems to get cooler.

I brought it into the dealer with the letter last week. To make a long story short, the claimed they performed the recommended tests and determined the problem wasn't the heater core, it was the thermostat. Since it wasn't the heater core, I had to pay $89.00 labor for the diagnosis and then another $149.00 the next day parts/labor to replace the thermostat.

The heater performance is no better. It was 4 degrees outside this morning and it took 45 minutes to feel any warmth in the cabin at all with the fan cranking at full speed the whole trip. I had the control set to 75 and there is no way it was that warm in there. It felt like MAYBE 60 degrees. Switching to "recirc" made things better, but as soon as I switch it back the air temp from the vents drops again. I'm not happy and will be talking to them tomorrow about the next step(s) and getting my money back for the repairs they did that didn't fix the problem.

EDIT - Just to explain the repetition: It seems tpm and I were replying at the same time, so I had not seen his post before I answered.

Hi Williston. :D Is your car no longer under the 3 years/36,000 miles New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty? You are certainly within the 3 year time limit, are you over the 36,000 miles?

While I hate to ask the obvious and I assume you know your Warranty coverages, due to others in the past not understanding their Warranty rights, I like to play it safe.

If you are under 36,000 miles, the Dealer owes you a refund anyway.

Keep us updated.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Update to original post. Last week the Ford dealer confirmed (using the prescribed Ford test) that there is a problem (I am biting my tongue at this point.) and then advised that they could not do the flush because for engines built before a certain date (2008 April I think he said) an additional part is required. Part is on rush order. Will see what that means. Thank goodness the temp is not too bad at the moment and the tech was smart enough not to dismantle anything, so i do have a running vehicle. Will keep the info coming as I get it. FYI just to add to the issues I now have to have to PTO seal replaced. They are on backorder, but Ford have developed an Engineering solution!

• 3 weeks later...

Update 2010 Jan 31. The magical flush has been completed and various new bits installed (VC11 antifreeze, 7T4Z 8A505 DA Hose, CVC 10A antifreeze, 8T4Z 7275 CC Kit Seal, and replaced water pump inlet tube). I can report that it appear to be successful. I have good heat (as it used to be) even at -20C yesterday morning. My personal suspicion that it was an actuator were wrong. I will not pass comment on the PTO take off seal replacement until i have talked to the dealer tomorrow!

• 10 months later...

Update 2010 Jan 31. The magical flush has been completed and various new bits installed (VC11 antifreeze, 7T4Z 8A505 DA Hose, CVC 10A antifreeze, 8T4Z 7275 CC Kit Seal, and replaced water pump inlet tube). I can report that it appear to be successful. I have good heat (as it used to be) even at -20C yesterday morning. My personal suspicion that it was an actuator were wrong. I will not pass comment on the PTO take off seal replacement until i have talked to the dealer tomorrow!

How has the repair held up? I have mine in the shop now and they have had it for 3 days. I do not know yet what repairs they are making to it. I passed them all the info you had in your post. I am curious to know if you have had any issue since your repairs. Thanks!

Repair held up for the remaining time I had the 2008. I changed to a 2010 in May this year. Would be interesting to hear from others who had the same repair.

One last question. Another member stated:

"The problem is not with the heater core at all, and AFAIK any heater core from any vehicle will be in the same condition if you used that coolant they used. The problem was with the fluid they used in the vehicles manufactured before April 2008, it seems that fluid for some error was out of specs, lacking of some ingredients or anti-corrosive ingredients or God knows what!!! "

Did your vehicle fall into that build date category? Mine was built in September of 2008.

Thanks

Edited by danloch

• 4 months later...

Our 08' lost all heat on the passenger side this winter. With a new baby coming I was worried. The dealer kept the car for two days. There were a lot of new parts to go on and a complete flush. The new coolant is quite dark. All seems well now. I'll look up the receipt and update this with the work done.