Oil Filter

SEL_Plus

• 1 month later...

PXB006,I have a 2010 Edge Limited changed the oil at 2225 miles and found the same problem,the p 3600 and the Fl 400 A threads were too small to fit ,I am trying to find the correct filter number,for the 2010,the Oem filter has no part numbers,Marty

K&N K33HP2009 filter has a 1"x 16 tpi,Thread

Fram PH3600 has a 3/4"x16 tpi.Thread

FL 500 For V6 3.5L after 1/16/2009 thread size 22 mmX 1.5mm

Edited by Depiry

Had the exact same problem. Apparently, some of the newer Edges (later 09's and 10's I'm guessing) take the Motorcraft FL500 (or FL500S...I can't remember, but there's only one of these...not both). Only place I could find the darn think was at the Ford dealer.

And for what it's worth, the owner's manual states to the Edge takes the FL400S in the manual, but in another supplement which came w/ the manual, it states the Edge takes either the FL400 or FL500.

Good luck,

Howard

I'll bet your Edge also takes the FL500S. Only place I could find it is at the Ford Dealership. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the Mobil 1 M1-113 filter will fit...I just bought one this evening....per a cross reference chart (not sure how accurate it is), the M1-113 matches the FL500S. Visually, the thread diameter looks the same as the FL500S, and the filter diameter and gasket match perfectly. The M1-113, however, is slightly shorter than the FL500S.

I'm a big Mobil 1 fan (both oil and filter). When I do my next oil change, I'll see if the M1-113 fits (I believe it will). If for some strange reason it doesn't, I've got the FL500S.

For what it's worth, the owners manual (at least for the later 2009's) states the FL400S filter. However in a 'supplement' which came w/ the manual, it states the filter is either the Motorcraft FL400 or FL500. This is very frustrating when changing the oil for the first time, and realize you have the wrong filter...kind-a sucks....

Good luck.

Edited by Goldy

FL500S Oil Filter Edge/MKX

ENGINE OIL FILTER - FROM 1/16/09

If your build date is before 1/16/09, you will need the FL-400S. Find your build date on your window sticker or ask your service advisor to run an OASIS report on your vehicle. That will tell you a lot of informationm including the build date. :reading:

• 3 months later...

I'd personally love to install a by-pass filter system on the 3.5L. But as yet, I can't figure out where to mount one. If I use the oil filter location on the engine, running lines to a filter relocation/bypass system, runs the lines too close to the large canister dropping down from the exhaust header. Then running the lines under the front trans-axle to a location just to the front side of the rear doors, looks like it will extend to low under the undercarriage for me. Just looking over these thing's on the Edge looks like good engineering work from Ford. By-pass filtering is probably over-kill, but it has been something I'm trying to research to use. Hopefully I'll find a place to install one. Even checked under the battery tray. Their is litterly no room in the engine bay for anything to be added.

I installed an AMSOIL bypass system on my 3.5. I mounted the filters in front of the left front wheel behind the bumper. Take the RF wheel off and the fender liner. Its a short run for the hoses from the filter adapter to the bypass system.hyper.gif

Edited by Platinum White
  • Thanks 1

• 12 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/31/2009 at 3:32 AM, pxb006 said:

Thanks for the info! I'll look for one of those the next time I change my oil. Guess I'm going to have to read the supplement.

The Ford dealer had put in a Purolator TL 20195 in a 2009 Edge with a 3.5L engine.  The thread pitch on this filter is UNF-28.  The FL 500 Motocraft filter has a thread M22X1.5 -6H.  But they are supposedly interchangable on this model, according to the manual.  The Purolator L22500 has the metric thread pitch, so that should fit too.  I don't understand how both thread pitches can be interchangable.  I put in a Purolator L20195 and it seemed to fit.  

Update - these 2 filters are NOT interchangeable.  You must determine the correct one by the exact day of the month the car was made.  I think the manual insert inferred to either/or  - but not both.  The vehicle used the FL400 thread pitch version.  The FL500 would not have worked.

Edited by ZeroPlus
wrong information

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2007 at 12:06 PM, SEL_Plus said:

After searching everywhere I could think of I called the dealer's parts department. The fellow I spoke with said he'd never heard of an FL-400-SB12, either, and that an FL-400S is the right filter for the Edge. Why the :censored: manual calls for the other is beyond me.

On a 2009 Edge I worked on , the Ford dealer and the Ford Internet site said the vehicle used a Motocraft FL500 filter.  The previous oil change had been done at a Ford dealership, and it had a Purolator PL20195 installed - which is equivalent to a FL400 Motocraft oil filter.  I was totally confused, but put on another Purolator L20195 and it appeared to seal correctly.  Splitting applications of non- interchangeable oil filters in a mid-month production run is absurd!  The car sticker provides the month/year of production only - not the day of the month.  The manual says FL400 and FL500 - I thought it might be both, but it is either/or.  These oil filters  thread pitches are different and they are not interchangeable.  I will stick with the FL400 thread pitch filters, as it appears to work.