My 2010 Edge is a Lemon

blizzard2010

Has anyone had any experience with the Lemon Laws and the 2010 Edge? I have a 4 month old Edge Ltd with 3000 miles. It has been in the shop 6 times. I spent 3 mornings at the service dept, and lost it another 3 times with a total of 26 days out of service where they provided a loaner vehicle. The main problem is the rattling noise from the sunroof. They have tried to fix it 5 times. They know it is an issue, but Ford stopped replacing sunroofs a while back, and now try to find fixes. They have tried lubing parts, and found unpadded dowels, but it is still rattling away. Now, they say that they will not replace the roof, or work on it anymore. They said to come pick it up, or I will be charged for the loaner. Basically, deal with it. Also, it has been in on these visits for a Tire Pressure Sensor fault ( happened 3 hours after I picked it up), Iphone incompatibilty ( their website said it was compatible), the transmission was slipping and slamming me from behind, all 4 brake rotors had to be recut at 2600 miles (pads were fine and they said it happens), the door latch had to be adjusted, the USB port failed and needed repair, the memory seats are losing their memory and the GPS/Sync is having problems (location errors, weather update not connecting and an icon saying NoGPS on the screen, even though it is tracking). As they will no longer work on the roof, which they have confirmed and documented has a problem, are they not in violation of the warranty? They could replace the sunroof and fix the problem, but just don't want to spend the money. So, go away. The service tech who notified me said that Ford states the problems are "characteristic" of the vehicle. What does that mean? I notified a lemon law attorney and also just sent off the required paperwork for NY State Attny Gen New Car Lemon Law Arbitration, as they have left me no choice. I don't trust this vehicle. If all these systems are failing, how can i assume it won't brake down at a dangerous time or possibly cause an accident. Again, anyone else have all these problems, and how did you deal with it? Thank you

The dealership that I bought it from is the biggest in the area, so they have been doing the work. They say it is Ford Corporate who pays for repairs, and says they will not reimburse the dfealer anymore. So as they will not get paid, they can't work on it. I'm going to pick it up in a little while, so it will be interesting to see what they say. Before they said they are done working on it, they left a message that if I am considering Lemon Law Arbitration, by law they have to stop all work on it. The lawyer I spoke to said that is false, and they are required to continue offering repair services under warranty. So, going to another dealer won't help me as they won't do unfunded work. I paid $38,000 for this 4 months ago, and it has been a nightmare. Not what I was expecting from Ford, especially as they are trying to grab market share with what is going on with Toyota.

The dealership that I bought it from is the biggest in the area, so they have been doing the work. They say it is Ford Corporate who pays for repairs, and says they will not reimburse the dfealer anymore. So as they will not get paid, they can't work on it. I'm going to pick it up in a little while, so it will be interesting to see what they say. Before they said they are done working on it, they left a message that if I am considering Lemon Law Arbitration, by law they have to stop all work on it. The lawyer I spoke to said that is false, and they are required to continue offering repair services under warranty. So, going to another dealer won't help me as they won't do unfunded work. I paid $38,000 for this 4 months ago, and it has been a nightmare. Not what I was expecting from Ford, especially as they are trying to grab market share with what is going on with Toyota.

Ā 

At this point you are probably stuck with the original dealer. From the description I believe that your dealer is at least partially responsible for these problems and for not repairing them correctly the first time (or 2 or 3). It's possible that the dealer is lying about Ford not paying for more repairs, just to get rid of you. If it is true then it's probably because they believe the dealer is at fault here.

Ā 

None of that should affect your lemon law status so by all means pursue that, but let's try to put the blame where it really belongs or at least understand that this may not be all Ford's fault.

Has anyone had any experience with the Lemon Laws and the 2010 Edge? I have a 4 month old Edge Ltd with 3000 miles. It has been in the shop 6 times. I spent 3 mornings at the service dept, and lost it another 3 times with a total of 26 days out of service where they provided a loaner vehicle. The main problem is the rattling noise from the sunroof. They have tried to fix it 5 times. They know it is an issue, but Ford stopped replacing sunroofs a while back, and now try to find fixes. They have tried lubing parts, and found unpadded dowels, but it is still rattling away. Now, they say that they will not replace the roof, or work on it anymore. They said to come pick it up, or I will be charged for the loaner. Basically, deal with it. Also, it has been in on these visits for a Tire Pressure Sensor fault ( happened 3 hours after I picked it up), Iphone incompatibilty ( their website said it was compatible), the transmission was slipping and slamming me from behind, all 4 brake rotors had to be recut at 2600 miles (pads were fine and they said it happens), the door latch had to be adjusted, the USB port failed and needed repair, the memory seats are losing their memory and the GPS/Sync is having problems (location errors, weather update not connecting and an icon saying NoGPS on the screen, even though it is tracking). As they will no longer work on the roof, which they have confirmed and documented has a problem, are they not in violation of the warranty? They could replace the sunroof and fix the problem, but just don't want to spend the money. So, go away. The service tech who notified me said that Ford states the problems are "characteristic" of the vehicle. What does that mean? I notified a lemon law attorney and also just sent off the required paperwork for NY State Attny Gen New Car Lemon Law Arbitration, as they have left me no choice. I don't trust this vehicle. If all these systems are failing, how can i assume it won't brake down at a dangerous time or possibly cause an accident. Again, anyone else have all these problems, and how did you deal with it? Thank you

Ā 

Here's the NY Lemon Law :

Ā 

The New York Lemon Law applies to new cars, both purchased and leased, which suffer a nonconformity; a defect or condition, which substantially impairs the use, value or safety; that has been addressed a substantial number of times (normally 3-4) by an authorized manufacturer's dealership. This nonconformity must first occur within the first 24 months or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. The New York Lemon Law also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair thirty (30) or more calendar days during the first year.

Ā 

You obviously have a case. I have had two cars lemon lawed, a Dodge Durango and a Mazda CX-7. The Dodge was a quick process, two months from start of process to having a check in my hand. Mazda quickly agreed to buy my car back, but took nine months to finally pay up. Hopefully Ford will be a quick turnaround for you. Good luck.

Edited by jeff

I went to the dealer to pick up my vehicle today. I talked to the head of the service dept., who just recently took over. He told me that he understands my frustration, but Ford is the one who decides what gets paid for. He agreed that I would certainly win in arbitration, with all the problems, and Ford probably sees this coming.. He asked if I contacted Ford Corporate yet. When i told him all contact from me has been through the dealership as Ford's representative, he offered to contact Ford Corporate himself, and see if they will replace the vehicle. It seems it would be better to handle this now, than drag it through hearings if the end result will be the same. He told me to hold onto the loaner car till he hears back on Monday. If they still refuse, then I would be bringing it back on Tuesday, which puts it out of service for 30 days. That, with 5 repair attempts, and all the other problems, makes this a certain lemon.

I really don't know how I got a vehicle with this many problems. I know plenty of people with Edges who love them, and have no problems. I like the model. I want to buy American and keep an American factory worker on the job getting a paycheck instead of sending my money overseas. This has been beyond frustrating, though.

Im not real sure Ford put a lot of effort into quality control with the Edge. Im having issues with mine as well but we drive Fords at work and we've got Explorers, vans and medium duty trucks that are just bullet proof so I dont think its a "Ford sux" issue really but more of them not watching the fit and finish if the Edge. Its a shame too because this is a great car. It looks sharp, has tons of room, super comfortable and fun to drive. But with crappy dealers and shoddy build quality Ive lost my trust.

I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't stop "paying for fixes" because they don't beleive this particular dealer can fix it, not because they don't beleive it's an issue. Try another dealer, I suspect Ford would be more than happy to pay another dealer to fix the problem correctly.

I can only go by what i was told. Ford sent their engineer to look at it. He said he didn't hear anything, even though others have and it is documented. They said Ford now says they won't replace the sunroof as I wanted, and won't spend anymore time on it. The service manager said he thinks it's because they know this vehicle is up for Lemon law consideration. Waiting for him to call me back today. I already filed for arbitration, and a lawyer reviewed my case and wants to take it. When Ford said last week they were done with it, I figured i had no choice. have to see what happens.

Ford just sucks. I took mine back in for the 3rd time for the thumping on acceleration and the 1st time they said it was something floating in the gas tank. The 2nd time it was a motor mount. This time its simply drivetrain slack albeit a little more than normal. They called Ford and Ford agreed and said there is nothing to fix. Im not sure what Im going to do. I just wish to holy God that I never bought this thing.

I think Ive got mine narrowed down to the drivers side motor mount. Took my dad riding around and tried to trace where the noise was coming from. First chance I get Im gonna pull the battery and check it out (its buried). God please let that be it cause its driving me bonkers. Plus it would be kinda cool to rub it in the dealers nose that I found it when they couldnt. Thatll be one for us good guys, blizzard! :happy feet:

Edited by MacLeod

I can only go by what i was told. Ford sent their engineer to look at it. He said he didn't hear anything, even though others have and it is documented. They said Ford now says they won't replace the sunroof as I wanted, and won't spend anymore time on it. The service manager said he thinks it's because they know this vehicle is up for Lemon law consideration. Waiting for him to call me back today. I already filed for arbitration, and a lawyer reviewed my case and wants to take it. When Ford said last week they were done with it, I figured i had no choice. have to see what happens.

I was just weeks away from the lemon law myself, I love my car but with the"lurching" feeling like I got hit from behind when the transmisson wouldnt engage is now being fixed by Ford. I would have no problems using the lemon law in Oregon. Its a good law here easy to use and get results. My advice is go for the lawyer and the lemon law.You didn't say what state your in so I wish you the best of luck !I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL...

Wolfie

REDEGE

I know its different in each state and Im definitely not a legal expert but I believe here in Tennessee it has to be something affecting the safety or reliability of the car. I think the exact quote was "substantially impair the vehicle". Im not sure if this sunroof problem would qualify. Thats why I wouldnt pursue it in my case because while its irritating the crap out of me but it doesnt affect the drive of the car itself. Hopefully its different in the OP's state.

Edited by MacLeod

I don't want to keep this particular Edge. I don't trust it. Too many things have gone wrong. I don't want to be away on vacation with my family, and have it break down. Or next, have the steering or ABS fail and get in an accident. Considering the tranny and brakes already failed, it's a possibility. Have to see if Ford decides to replace it. If not, I already have a lawyer on it. I lost it for 1 month out of the 4 I have owned it. Ridiculous!!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to keep this particular Edge. I don't trust it. Too many things have gone wrong. I don't want to be away on vacation with my family, and have it break down. Or next, have the steering or ABS fail and get in an accident. Considering the tranny and brakes already failed, it's a possibility. Have to see if Ford decides to replace it. If not, I already have a lawyer on it. I lost it for 1 month out of the 4 I have owned it. Ridiculous!!