My 2010 Edge is a Lemon

blizzard2010

What gets me is that they drag this out as long as they have, and then offer me $3000?? For my trouble? I spent 3 mornings at the dealership, which is a 1 hour round trip. This started the day after I bought it! I lost it for another 30 days out of the first 4 months. I spend all this money on a SUV with satellite, nav, sunroof, leather etc, and I end up spending a month in a piece of garbage loaner car. Besides, I will still be stuck with a lemon and a future of more repair visits ahead. I won't accept the $3000, even if the lawyer says it is the best he can do. I'll try to go through NYS Lemon Law arbitration instead. They seem to have a good record. Things can only get better.

Went to a different dealeship today. Couldn't replicate the seat problems in front of them. They initially said the gps unit was fine. I asked if they contacted Sirius, to get their report or try an update, as I told them it crashes the system. They said they couldn't until they see a problem. I told them that was the main problem!!. I drove there, called Sirius while the tech was there in my car, he heard the failure report, and they tried an update. It crashed the system. Fine. Then they tell me they can't replace the unit unless they first try to reload the software. They wanted my disks. I told them I didn't get any. The tech keeps telling me I must have until a salesman mentions the 2010s don't come with them. All updates are over the radio. Problem is my radio crashes when it tries an update. I called the selling dealership. They said call Ford cust support. First guy told me to get the disks from Navteq. Problem is they charge $199. I called cust support back and explained that they need the disks to fix it under warranty,and why should I pay for them. They said the dealaership just doesn't want to pay for them. So now cust support is calling the dealership back tomorrow to figure something out.

Also, it seems that all of the problems I had before were not submitted to Ford by the selling dealership. I told them that they said Ford won't work on the sunroof anymore. They say they have no record of that. When I asked why Ford has no record of the work, they didn't know. This gets worse and worse.

So today, "Samantha" at Ford calls the second dealership, Ramp Ford of Port Jefferson NY. They say they can't download the software due to their firewall, which a tech at Sayville says is BS.. Now, Samantha keeps saying I have to go back to Sayville Ford, or pay $199 for the disks myself. Yesterday, the first guy at Ford Cust Sevice said Ramp just didn't want to pay for it, and it is ridiculous for me to have to pay for disks so they can do warranty work. Since I won't pay for them, I now have to go back to Sayville, replicate the problem again, and leave my vehicle. They are 30 minutes away and don't have any loaner cars. This gets better all the time.

So today, "Samantha" at Ford calls the second dealership, Ramp Ford of Port Jefferson NY. They say they can't download the software due to their firewall, which a tech at Sayville says is BS.. Now, Samantha keeps saying I have to go back to Sayville Ford, or pay $199 for the disks myself. Yesterday, the first guy at Ford Cust Sevice said Ramp just didn't want to pay for it, and it is ridiculous for me to have to pay for disks so they can do warranty work. Since I won't pay for them, I now have to go back to Sayville, replicate the problem again, and leave my vehicle. They are 30 minutes away and don't have any loaner cars. This gets better all the time.

Ā 

I have been going to Ramp for years. When I did lease a car from Sayville I still had it serviced by Ramp. They have always been good to me and I find it hard that they blew you off. I hope you get it resolved

I have been going to Ramp for years. When I did lease a car from Sayville I still had it serviced by Ramp. They have always been good to me and I find it hard that they blew you off. I hope you get it resolved

Ā 

Ā 

Tom, I was surprised myself. I had heard from a few people that they were OK. I'm arguing with the guy on the phone that it crashes when I call for an update, along with all the other glitches and lockups it has. I gave them this info when I dropped it off. I had Sirius document the event for Ford. Then they say that after having the vehicle all day, they saw nothing. He says they can't call Sirius, get an update or do anything unless they see the problem. Those are the problems, though! Catch 22. I go there, and show them that it crashes. It would have taken them 5 minutes to confirm. Then after arguing for 15 minutews that I must have the disks, a sales guy sayd they don't come with them anymore. Then he says without disks, I am am out of luck, as they can't get the software due to a firewall. I have Sayville Ford and Ford Cust Service telling me they just don't want to pay for it. Then Sayville punts to Cust Service. At first they are apologetic and admit I shouldn't have to pay for the disks. Then, when she sees that both dealers are playing games, the story changes. Now she says I should consider buying them or go to my nearest dealship. She keeps repeating this line, so I asked her to stop reading from her script and work out a solution. No luck. Her mind was locked out. Now I am going back to Sayville next week. They have no idea what they will do , though. They say they don't have loaners available.

Now Ford is raising their offer, but not enough, yet. I just want to trade this thing in and never deal with Ford again. I was stupid to think they had changed. I had an Explorer years ago that was a wreck. The service techs couldn't figure out the problems. One was cleared up by a 17 year old kid doing oil changes at an Exxon. This after Ford scratched their heads no less than 8 times. This was a mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I go back to Sayville Ford on Wed, August 4th. . They have it all day. They call and say they did a Master Reset, and all seems well. I pick it up and leave. No joy. When I stopped to use my phone, I saw I had to reSync it. Then I see that my phone book isn't fully loading. The buttons for searching contacts ABC, DEF etc, are not working right. Some light up, and some are grayed out and inoperative. Each time I leave the screen and come back, it is different buttons that are working/not working. Also, I am still getting the No GPS sign. It again tried to send a Vehicle Health report, but failed. I called Sirius for an update signal, and it froze iup the Radio, Media and Sound buttons again. This visit was Wed, Aug 4th. On Aug 6, I was called by Cynthia McGregor from Ford Cust Service to ask about the GPS problem. I told her I was still having problems, and the unit needed to be replaced. She told me they had been having troubles with the GPS systems. She said she would call Sayville Ford and get back to me in a few hours ( she called at 9:30AM). I told her fine, that I would wait till I call Sayville Ford again. She never got back to me. I have left 2 messages for her. I called Sayville Ford to talk to Danny again. I was told he was out and that he deals with Cynthia regularly. I left messages for both of them Friday, Aug 13. Will have to wait and see who calls back, if they do. Oh, LOL, I contacted a Nissan dealership to get pricing on a Murano, as I would like to trade this in on something else. I have a 2010 Edge, LTD, 5000 miles, navigation, leather, moonroof, tow package and lighted sillplates. Keley Blue Book, says it, in excellent condition, (looks great )is worth $33,000 as a trade-in. Nissan said they would give me $27,000 to $29.000, depending on how it looks. I paid $34,757 for the vehicle, and $37,334 after tax and title! An $8000 to $10,000 loss after 5000 miles!

Edited by blizzard2010

Has anyone had any experience with the Lemon Laws and the 2010 Edge? I have a 4 month old Edge Ltd with 3000 miles. It has been in the shop 6 times. I spent 3 mornings at the service dept, and lost it another 3 times with a total of 26 days out of service where they provided a loaner vehicle. The main problem is the rattling noise from the sunroof. They have tried to fix it 5 times. They know it is an issue, but Ford stopped replacing sunroofs a while back, and now try to find fixes. They have tried lubing parts, and found unpadded dowels, but it is still rattling away. Now, they say that they will not replace the roof, or work on it anymore. They said to come pick it up, or I will be charged for the loaner. Basically, deal with it. Also, it has been in on these visits for a Tire Pressure Sensor fault ( happened 3 hours after I picked it up), Iphone incompatibilty ( their website said it was compatible), the transmission was slipping and slamming me from behind, all 4 brake rotors had to be recut at 2600 miles (pads were fine and they said it happens), the door latch had to be adjusted, the USB port failed and needed repair, the memory seats are losing their memory and the GPS/Sync is having problems (location errors, weather update not connecting and an icon saying NoGPS on the screen, even though it is tracking). As they will no longer work on the roof, which they have confirmed and documented has a problem, are they not in violation of the warranty? They could replace the sunroof and fix the problem, but just don't want to spend the money. So, go away. The service tech who notified me said that Ford states the problems are "characteristic" of the vehicle. What does that mean? I notified a lemon law attorney and also just sent off the required paperwork for NY State Attny Gen New Car Lemon Law Arbitration, as they have left me no choice. I don't trust this vehicle. If all these systems are failing, how can i assume it won't brake down at a dangerous time or possibly cause an accident. Again, anyone else have all these problems, and how did you deal with it? Thank you

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

You are going the right way and in the State of Maryland that is consider a Lemon. Three tries to fix the same problem and vehicle has to be 15k or less.

I am going through an issue with Ford on the High Pitch noise which has been label fuel pump by the dealer ship. Ford has refused to let the dealerships replace the fuel pump. I have filed Attorney General Consumer Protection and copy to Ford Motor Company. I received a letter back yesterday from the Ford Motor Company state its normal and will not do anything. Hopefully the Attorney General office will get somewhere as they suggest the three R's Repair, Replace, or Refund.

You are going the right way and in the State of Maryland that is consider a Lemon. Three tries to fix the same problem and vehicle has to be 15k or less.

I am going through an issue with Ford on the High Pitch noise which has been label fuel pump by the dealer ship. Ford has refused to let the dealerships replace the fuel pump. I have filed Attorney General Consumer Protection and copy to Ford Motor Company. I received a letter back yesterday from the Ford Motor Company state its normal and will not do anything. Hopefully the Attorney General office will get somewhere as they suggest the three R's Repair, Replace, or Refund.

It is normal, car do make noise ....I notice if you leave the fan in off position before you start the car the high pitch noise is gone. :yup:

Edited by Sparky

Got through to Cynthia on Thur, Aug, 19. Asked her why I didn't hear back from Aug 6. She said that "Yolanda" had contacted Sayville Ford, and that the case was closed. I iold her that no one had contacted me, I didn't know a Yolanda, and that Sayville Ford never got back to me. She said she would call Sayville, and talk to Paul, the service manager. I spoke to Cynthia today. She said that Paul stated that he had called me and said that they couldn't do anything without the disks ( which they no longer give out with 2010s). I said I never heard from him. I mentioned again that he had said he would call Ford for me about replacing my Edge. She said there was no record. I told her that he said an engineer was going to come look at my vehicle, but never showed up. She said there was no record. I told her Sayville had said Ford Corp told them that no more repair attempts would be made on my roof. She said there was no record of them ever doing any work. Finally, I said I don't want this vehicle anymore, it isn't safe, reliable and that they can't fix the roof or GPS and won't replace them. She said she is a go between, can't force them to do anything and instead is going to have her boss, Amber Metro, call me. She is the one who handles buy backs. Now I have to wait and see what happens next.

Edited by blizzard2010

Spoke with Amber. She seems very pleasant and concerned. She is scheduling a meet with myself, and Ford field engineer and the service dpt head at Sayville Ford, to go over my problems and see the vehicle. I told her the roof noise won't won't be apparent as it is way too warm right now. She stated that it is not a problem, just bring my recordings. This is the first step towards a resolution. They need to make sure the problems aren't operator error. As the problems are all confirmed by Ford and documented, I guess this isn't a difficulty. Probably going to meet next week. Anyone ever reach this stage? Any suggestions?

Spoke with Amber. She seems very pleasant and concerned. She is scheduling a meet with myself, and Ford field engineer and the service dpt head at Sayville Ford, to go over my problems and see the vehicle. I told her the roof noise won't won't be apparent as it is way too warm right now. She stated that it is not a problem, just bring my recordings. This is the first step towards a resolution. They need to make sure the problems aren't operator error. As the problems are all confirmed by Ford and documented, I guess this isn't a difficulty. Probably going to meet next week. Anyone ever reach this stage? Any suggestions?

Ā 

Ā 

Best of luck to you. Sounds like it may get resolved.

Well, I had the meeing with Ford on 9-1-10. Amber Metro was very pleasant. The meeting primarily revolved around the field engineer. It was obvious it was a well choreographed show, and that he had done it before. From the start I saw what this would entail. He attempted to establish dominance right from beginning. He was talking to the others while acting as if I wasn't there. Then the quick turn around and,"Oh, I should say hello....". Then, he says "Let's go" as if he is a general, and jumps in my truck behind the wheel, leaving me standing there. I get in the passenger seat, as he gets comfortable, puts his phones and keys in my cupholders, points it out by then saying,"you don't mind, do you?" and then drives off without telling me where we are going or what the hell he is testing. It was all to establish dominance over me in my own vehicle, and over the situation. I tried to not burst out laughing. It seemed like it was right out of a training course. I guess it works sometimes. Usually when someone does this for conflict resolution, they are trained to be more subtle. As I said, I knew how this would go. Everything I pointed out as wrong he made sound as if it was nothing, or couldn't understand what I meant. Iā€™m showing him screenshots of the Nav systemā€™s Phone screen that show grayed out areas, and he says he doesnā€™t see anything wrong. . While we were driving, I knew this was a waste of time. They, ( Bob, Paul Kelly the service manager and Amber ) seemed to know each other well. They kept up a conversation while I sat there.

We drove around for a while, then went back to the office. At one point he said that if the tranny acts up again, I could bring it back in to be reset. He saw my face, and said if I didn't want to drive there, I could take a wrench and disconnect the negative battery terminal to reset it. When I asked if he was really telling me to disconnect cables myself to fix this, he quickly backtracked and said, no, he would never suggest that. The disclaimer went on for a bit more, and he said he was just throwing it out there. When I again mentioned all the problems, he said all vehicles have problems, even his. That it was normal. Normal?! I said systems started failing 5 hours after I bought it, that I lost it for 30 days in the first 4 months, that everything is going wrong, that I have lost it now for 32 days and 3 mornings and have 5500 miles and that this is normal??? He then said they would give me new brake rotors and replace the GPS system. It doesnā€™t address why the brakes failed at 2600 miles, so I donā€™t know if I will be getting frequent brake jobs. His solution for fixing the tranny was ridiculous. I still have the seat problems. I would have to wait till it gets colder so he could hear the roof rattling (already documented), and then lose it for who knows how much more time as he again tries to fix it, when all they have to do is replace it. It turns out he is the engineer who looked at it when they had it for the 3 week period. So he is the one who back in April could have taken care of this, but dropped the ball. Now he is the one who reviews the situation and his place in it. Is he going to tell Ford the situation is out of hand and the vehicle needs to be replaced? I said I was done with service visits, and didn't want to drag this out any more months. I said just replace the vehicle. He asked a few more times, but I said I had had enough, and don't trust this truck. So, now I have to wait and see. I could actually see that Amber was uncomfortable with the conversation, and I saw her nodding , yes, when I repeated that I wanted a new vehicle.

Then, on 9-7-10 at approx 10AM, I received a call from Cynthia McGregor who called to inform me that Ford has decided they will not replace the vehicle. She stated that I still have the option of taking it up with the BBB. I told her I anticipated this response and have already planned to submit a package to the NYS AGs Officeā€™s Lemon Law Arbitration. It seems I have run out of other options at this point.

The meeting was on 9-1-10. Give a day to write his report up and submit it. A day for Ford Legal to get it. A day for it to be sent to Ford Cust Service. Then, the next business day, today, to call me first thing in the morning. It comes up one day too many as the Labor Day Weekend came up, and all offices were closed Monday. If no one did anything on the Friday, it is 2 days too many. There was no consultation on this at their end. This decision was made before I even had the meeting. He just had to put it on file. What a waste of another day.

Edited by blizzard2010

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The BBB now has the case. Also, the NYS Attornet General's Office Arbitration Unit has accepted the case for arbitration. Have to wait.

Ā 

I hope this gets resolved for you now. Most people would have given up by now but you stuck to your guns. :) Hopefully they will find in your favor and this can be put behind you

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is

I hope this gets resolved for you now. Most people would have given up by now but you stuck to your guns. :) Hopefully they will find in your favor and this can be put behind you

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is

Ā 

Ā 

Hi Tom, I do hope this finally gets resolved. It's been going on for too long now. I know they were hoping I would give up and just go away. That wasn't going to happen. I'll let you and everyone know the outcome when it happens. Thanks, Bill

hi Bill,

Been following along on this thread for a while- good luck on your quest. You have been through hell it sounds like on this one, and I feel for you. Always feels worse when you are being victimized by the system.

Keep it up, lots of support here for you,

Ā 

Jeff

Ā 

Thanks, Jeff. I appreciate the support.

Would you believe that Sayville Ford sent me a letter reminding me that I can still purchase an extended service contract?! LOL

• 1 month later...

The office that schedules arbitration hearings for the NYS Attorney General's Office was sent the case last week. I was told I should be contacted about a date pretty soon. They advised to cancel the BBB arbitration, to avoid conflicts. Also, with the state, there is no depreciation, and I can file to get the taxes back. Not so with the BBB. I was told that since the AG's Office took the case, I must have a good one. I asked about when Sayville Ford lied about Ford Motors refusing to authorize or pay for more attempts on the roof, violating the warranty ( I have them recorded). I was told that will be part of the hearing.

Also, while I am waiting, I might be bringing it in for the driver's seat. It is getting looser and rocks back and forth when I accelerate or brake. . I was in for an oil change, and the mechanic ( non Ford ) said it seems like the carriage is loose. Have to see. The damn roof is rattling away at temps as high as 60 degrees now. Annoying as Hell.

Edited by blizzard2010

• 3 weeks later...

The hearing is set for this month. I was originally told that Ford would send a representative. I got a letter from a law firm stating they would be there for Ford. So, I decided to contact a local lemon law attorney, who is familiar with both the arbitrator and the opposing firm. I originally thought I had 32 days without my vehicle, as of Sep 1-2010. It seems they count partial days, not just 24 hour cycles. So I had actually lost it, by their measure, for 38 days in the first 9 months I owned it. It is now 1 year old, and I have 7200 miles. 5 Attempts for the sunroof, before they said they wouldn't work on it anymore (April-2010), and 4 attempts on the Navigation/Multimedia Sync System, before they said they would replace it ONLY if I agreed not to try to have them take the vehicle back (Aug-2010). Well, let's see what happens

Edited by blizzard2010

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I've been on here.

Ā 

1. Keep up the fight Blizzard!!

2. I still have my sunroof issue, less frequent lately for some reason.

3. Roof actually completely quite at one point.

4. I would estimate my vehicle has been in for the sunroof rattle or another rattle that was caused by the at least 12 times.

5. I have a rattle from right rear passeng seat, that started after they were trying to eliminate the sunroof rattle. They have tried to fix this a good 5 times.

Ā 

I asked for to replace my vehicle...pretty much got laughed at.

Ā 

I brought my vehicle to another dealer who looked at it and said that the roof should be replaced, then refused to do it. Said it's my original dealers issue!

Ā 

I called customer service and said wanted to have it fixed at another dealer, they did a 3 way call with the dealer that refused and my original dealer. Customer service came back on the phone and said I HAD to take it to the opriginla dealer.

Ā 

In the mean time I am telling anybody who will listen. I have managed to scare off 14 potential ford owners. My goal is 100!

Ā 

Will never EVER buy a FORD again. 1st and last!

Ā 

Oh ya ...my drivers seat is now loose.

Sorry to hear that. This is exactly why I think the automotive franchise laws should be repealed and Ford should have more control over its dealers. Dealers screw up all the time and the customer blames Ford (which is understandable). Unfortunately there is very little Ford can do about it. I suspect in this case Ford has already paid the original dealer for the warranty repair and doesn't want to keep paying other dealers to redo the work.

• 1 month later...

I WON!

Ā 

I attended a NYS Attorney Generalā€™s Office New Car Lemon Law Arbitration hearing on Dec 23,2010. Ford sent a lawyer from New Jersey to the hearing. Seemed like a nice guy. His firm gave him the case the day before the hearing. It seems Ford didn't give his firm any work orders or technician's notes. He was able to get someone to fax him some notes from Customer Service, which corroborated my description of events, both in dealing with Sayville Ford and Ford CS. My lawyer wanted to work out a settlement. He said they will sometimes give a full value credit toward another Ford vehicle, rather than proceed to trial or arbitration . Ford would not let their lawyers do so. The hearing lasted about 2 hours. I found out on Jan 7, 2011 that I won. We notified Ford we were accepting the arbitratorā€™s ruling, which then gave them 30 days to comply, or face fines of $25 a day, up to $500. I finally heard from Fordā€™s lawyers last Thursday, that Ford CS would be getting in touch with me about my refund. I heard from them the next day, and they said Sayville Ford would have the check by Tuesday, today. I contacted Sayville Ford, confirmed that they had it, and I will be handing the vehicle back tomorrow, and getting my refund check. It is for the full vehicle price, administrative fees (registration, inspection, title etc) and the $250 filing fee I made to NYS for the arbitration. Afterwards, I will also send a form in to NYS to get the sales tax back. It would have been so much easier if Ford had taken care of this back in April, or later when I had the meeting with their regional CS representative. Now they have a vehicle that has been declared a Lemon. This has to be posted on all paperwork pertaining to the vehicle, including sales stickers if they decide to try to resell it. I am being met at the dealership by a salesman from Nissan, who will drive me to pick up my new 2011 Nissan Murano. This has been a long and aggravating experience. No doubt Ford was hoping I would just give up and go away. I imagine many people do. If anyone else is in this situation, remember, donā€™t give up and donā€™t be a victim. As long as you keep fighting, you havenā€™t lost. Myself, I am just glad it is over. Good Luck, everyone.

I WON!

Ā 

I attended a NYS Attorney Generalā€™s Office New Car Lemon Law Arbitration hearing on Dec 23,2010. Ford sent a lawyer from New Jersey to the hearing. Seemed like a nice guy. His firm gave him the case the day before the hearing. It seems Ford didn't give his firm any work orders or technician's notes. He was able to get someone to fax him some notes from Customer Service, which corroborated my description of events, both in dealing with Sayville Ford and Ford CS. My lawyer wanted to work out a settlement. He said they will sometimes give a full value credit toward another Ford vehicle, rather than proceed to trial or arbitration . Ford would not let their lawyers do so. The hearing lasted about 2 hours. I found out on Jan 7, 2011 that I won. We notified Ford we were accepting the arbitratorā€™s ruling, which then gave them 30 days to comply, or face fines of $25 a day, up to $500. I finally heard from Fordā€™s lawyers last Thursday, that Ford CS would be getting in touch with me about my refund. I heard from them the next day, and they said Sayville Ford would have the check by Tuesday, today. I contacted Sayville Ford, confirmed that they had it, and I will be handing the vehicle back tomorrow, and getting my refund check. It is for the full vehicle price, administrative fees (registration, inspection, title etc) and the $250 filing fee I made to NYS for the arbitration. Afterwards, I will also send a form in to NYS to get the sales tax back. It would have been so much easier if Ford had taken care of this back in April, or later when I had the meeting with their regional CS representative. Now they have a vehicle that has been declared a Lemon. This has to be posted on all paperwork pertaining to the vehicle, including sales stickers if they decide to try to resell it. I am being met at the dealership by a salesman from Nissan, who will drive me to pick up my new 2011 Nissan Murano. This has been a long and aggravating experience. No doubt Ford was hoping I would just give up and go away. I imagine many people do. If anyone else is in this situation, remember, donā€™t give up and donā€™t be a victim. As long as you keep fighting, you havenā€™t lost. Myself, I am just glad it is over. Good Luck, everyone.

Ā 

Congrats on your victory!!

I'm sure you know this already but make a point to take photo's of the vehicle you are turning in. Video is even better. Try to have a witness

Good luck with your new ride