Passanger Side Noise

Micharo

I just bought a new 2010 Edge. I noticed that there is noise (almost like a rattling sound) coming from the passanger side. It only happens when I drive on the highway. I only have 2k miles on it and am bringing it back for repair as I can't take the noise. Any suggestions on what to tell them that maybe has worked in the past to fix the problem? My fear is that the problem will never be detected and I wasted my money on another dissapointing Ford product? Thanks.

I just bought a new 2010 Edge. I noticed that there is noise (almost like a rattling sound) coming from the passanger side. It only happens when I drive on the highway. I only have 2k miles on it and am bringing it back for repair as I can't take the noise. Any suggestions on what to tell them that maybe has worked in the past to fix the problem? My fear is that the problem will never be detected and I wasted my money on another dissapointing Ford product? Thanks.

Might be the seat belt rattling against the side panels.

Don't give up on your car just because of one little issue.

Every car will have an issue or two no matter who manufactures it.

Edited by MOFSTEEL

Might be the seat belt rattling against the side panels.

Don't give up on your car just because of one little issue.

Every car will have an issue or two no matter who manufactures it.

It does not appear to be the seatbelt as it is coming from the passanger side front hood, under the dash and near the mirror. Overall, I really like the car. I do a lot of highway driving and am on the phone so the noise is constant (no background noise like the radio to drown it out).

• 1 month later...

Hi,

did you ever get the rattling fixed and what was it? I just got my wife the Edge and about 500 miles in the rattle started somewhere in the area of the glove compartment. Please let me know. The Edge does this mostly on the highway arounf 50+ Mph and does it even if I let my foot off the accelerator.

Thanks

Edited by cdowdthedrummer

ANother person joined just to complain and then leave....typical.

I had a rattle behind the driver, back door area. Pounded my fist against the door panels etc, now no rattle, might return when it gets a little colder, might be a temperature effect the plastic issue? If all fails get the hammers out and threaten the area, it might see sense

I also have a new 2010 Edge SEL with a rattle coming from the front passenger side.

Don't notice it until you drive on the highway (65 MPH +). Obviously something affected by the wind across the hood/windshield.

Going to spend a few days on the highway - will get my spouse to drive while I push/pull/knock around to see if I can locate it.

It's a kinda odd noise - thinking there might be something in the A pillar - or maybe a piece of moulding/panel by the wipers that may have come loose.

Will let y'all know what I come up with by the end of the month.

Stay tuned! SW

I also have a new 2010 Edge SEL with a rattle coming from the front passenger side.

Don't notice it until you drive on the highway (65 MPH +). Obviously something affected by the wind across the hood/windshield.

Going to spend a few days on the highway - will get my spouse to drive while I push/pull/knock around to see if I can locate it.

It's a kinda odd noise - thinking there might be something in the A pillar - or maybe a piece of moulding/panel by the wipers that may have come loose.

Will let y'all know what I come up with by the end of the month.

Stay tuned! SW

Okay great. I did the same thing: I had my wife drive the car while I checked different areas. It is really hard to tell where it's coming from because I thought the same thing about the crosswind. Let me know what you come up with. If I get mine straightened out I will post how it was fixed. Thanks for your reply.

Edited by cdowdthedrummer

Make sure it's not just a loose sun visor. Happens to me all the time and every time I think the rattle is coming from somewhere else, then I remember to check the visor.

Make sure it's not just a loose sun visor. Happens to me all the time and every time I think the rattle is coming from somewhere else, then I remember to check the visor.

I'll give the visor a check - But I don't think it's from the visor.

The noise seems to be affected by "wind"/"direction"/"speed"....

I can drive one way on the highway at speed (wind quartering into the front of the Edge) - it makes the noise.

When I turn around and drive the opposite direction on the highway, I can't seem to make it produce the noise at the same speed...

Might try some experiments with tape on the exterior moldings...

I'll give the visor a check - But I don't think it's from the visor.

The noise seems to be affected by "wind"/"direction"/"speed"....

I can drive one way on the highway at speed (wind quartering into the front of the Edge) - it makes the noise.

When I turn around and drive the opposite direction on the highway, I can't seem to make it produce the noise at the same speed...

Might try some experiments with tape on the exterior moldings...

Yea it's not coming from that area, but I will still give it a listen. I appreciate everyone's input on this so any input is great. Everyone is very helpful. Again, if I find the problem on my end I will post it for everyone. Thanks again......

Okay, I have an update. I emailed another member on here and they told me what the dealer found on their car. Seemed to be the plastic under the wheel well that is clipped in was a little loose. Well I had some foam material that I temporarily put behind the plastic in the wheel well near the clips and it stopped the noise. It did sound like it was coming from the windshield area, but it was the wheel well plastic. The clips werejust lose enough to cause this rattle. There is no way to tighten the exisiting clips so I am assuming they will use different ones or put a rubber gromet behind each clip. We'll see I guess. I am going to the dealer tomorrow, Thursday, so I will post the fix. Thank you everyone for all of your input.

Okay, I have an update. I emailed another member on here and they told me what the dealer found on their car. Seemed to be the plastic under the wheel well that is clipped in was a little loose. Well I had some foam material that I temporarily put behind the plastic in the wheel well near the clips and it stopped the noise. It did sound like it was coming from the windshield area, but it was the wheel well plastic. The clips werejust lose enough to cause this rattle. There is no way to tighten the exisiting clips so I am assuming they will use different ones or put a rubber gromet behind each clip. We'll see I guess. I am going to the dealer tomorrow, Thursday, so I will post the fix. Thank you everyone for all of your input.

COOL!

I'll bet that is the noise I'm hearing....it makes sense.

Had a similar noise issue with my 2001 F150. Ended up being the Ford accessory front splash guard - one of the plastic "rivits" was loose causing a hard to find noise up front.

Will go push around the fender well plastic next time I see the Edge.

Thanks!

Update! Okay brought it to the dealer today and the manager asked me to come out and show the tech where the problem was. I went out to the shop and showed him one of the clips in the wheel well plastic and one on underneath the car holding the back of the front wheel well plastic. That one was very loose. He replaced the clips and it tightened right up. Drove 40 minutes home and went out again later today with no noise! Other than minor issues my wife and I love these cars! Thank you everyone for your help and enjoy the Edge. I also want to thank Micharo for the help.

I can't wait to get home and look in the wheel well. I'm experiencing the same noise that started last week coming from the from passenger side everytime I went over a bump at highway speeds. I was going to have my fiancee drive around while I looked for the source, but I bet it's from the wheel well. I did wash the car last Friday and squirted the hose up in there, and this is about when the noise started. I let everyone know how it turns out.

UPDATE: 25 June 2010

Got a chance to drive the Edge for a few days on the highway - The noise started to appear around 60 MPH+.

Confirmed what cdowdthedrummer posted (thanks!)

The "splash shield" inside the wheel well was a little "loose". It's held in place with some plastic push grommet things. Couldn't figure out a way to "tighten" them up while on the road, so I stopped in a dollar store and picked up a package of kitchen sponges. Squeezed one behind the splash guard and wheel well to keep the splash shield from "moving".

Noise stopped. Edge is quiet as a church. :)

Will have the dealer look at it next time I take it in.

Thanks for the help!

Update 6-27-2010

I played around with the fasteners in the front passenger side wheel well and noticed some were a bit loose. I gave all of them a little push before leaving on vacation where I put 650+ miles on the Edge and didn't here the rattling anymore!

• 7 months later...

I have a 2010 edge which I have brought to the dealer 5 times for wind nosise from the passanger side (door , window?) The last time they had a Ford tech drive it with a device to measure the sound. I was told that the sound was normal and equal on both sides, though no one who rides in the car agrees. They did visually notice that the weather stripping was sticking out on the passanger side door and not anywhere else and havesaid they will replace it even though they do not think that is the problem. I will let you know if this fixes the issue. I am interested in the loose clip in the wheel well issue, did that cause a wind type of noise in the cabin

• 1 month later...

I hope this conversation will help me. I have taken my car back to the dealer three times only for them to say they could not hear anything. I too think at times it comes from the glove box but most of the time my ear seems to think it is coming from the control panel. The noise I hear is a sound best described as a Beebe in a plastic cup vibrating around. Is this the similar metallic/mechanical noise that is caused by the well? I will look at mine today to see if I can determine where the clips in question are located. I hope to find them loose on the driver side, which may be a fix for me as well. I have put my hand in the glove box looked under the dash and have yet to find anything that would make the noise. It mostly does it when the car hits a few bumps or driving down a highway that has expansion joints. Once it starts making the noise it seems to keep doing it for a while. Let me know if this sounds familiar to your experience. The last time I brought it in I took them for a ride and hit a manhole cover which got it to start the noise. They heard it and said they would research and call me. It was obvious to me they were done and sure enough I did not get a call back. I hope to figure it out and take it to a different dealer.

On the funny side: I found a door hinge bolt wedged in the driver door between the rubber housing that goes from the door to the car. Guess it was dropped in assembly: not the noise.

Edited by joeandbeth

• 2 weeks later...

That was the cause of the noise. Infact, the I was missing a plastic push fastner all together. The fender was not machine with a hole for on of the the larger ones on the driver side, so in assembly they just let it go through this way. Quality is not job one it appears, based on my finding. Still like the car but I hope there are no more short cuts to be found. Thanks to all of you that figured it out. It did not sound like a noise caused by the exterior. Would have sworn that it was in the dash.

Edited by joeandbeth

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I've got a 2011 MKX with 60000kms that just recently purchased. The next day I got a "Shift To Par" error when the car was actually in park, so I brought it in for service and thats when the rattling/ buzzing noise happened began. It sounds like its coming from behind the centre front compartment (where the SD cards in USB connectors are). I completely removed the console and placed foam everywhere I could think the noise could be coming from, but I haven't had any luck fixing the problem

Has anyone experience something similar? Please Help! Its driving me crazy!!!