Woohooo just ordered my Edge 2011

No new info at this point. But my "insiders" at Ford say the Microsoft/Mytouch/Sync issues have been resolved and the vehicles will start to be released to dealers/customers. I know with my wife working for Ford and her position, that I should have one of the first ones in the cleveland area. It gets drop shipped to her plant, then a dealer comes to pick it up, prep it and return it for pick-up at the plant. These vehicles are what ends up on the lots as "Executive cars" so they get into the public as quick and as early as possible to buld up the hype I think more than anything else. Once it shows up at the plant, I will know and let everyone know that they have finally "arrived" and the dealers will be right behind. My only concern....is that the dealer gets the up to date info on how to "prep" the car before delivery....(right hand knowing what the left is doing if you know what I mean) Hopefully within a week or so I will try to post pics too.

So I have never purchased an American made vehicle before but put an Edge on order July 10th. What is the process for fulfilling these orders? Do the dealers get all of their cars for showrooms delivered first before special customer orders are built? Curious when I should expect news about getting my vehicle since the dealership has my deposit now for a month (able to earn interest). I was hoping that Ford would recognize advance buyers and release these vehicles fast (assuming issues are worked out) in order to get more on the street and help generate the buzz.

Can anyone tell me how the order thing works? Thanks!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have never purchased an American made vehicle before but put an Edge on order July 10th. What is the process for fulfilling these orders? Do the dealers get all of their cars for showrooms delivered first before special customer orders are built? Curious when I should expect news about getting my vehicle since the dealership has my deposit now for a month (able to earn interest). I was hoping that Ford would recognize advance buyers and release these vehicles fast (assuming issues are worked out) in order to get more on the street and help generate the buzz.

Can anyone tell me how the order thing works? Thanks!!!

Dealer puts in the order just like all their other orders. They assign a priority and when the dealer has allocation available then the vehicles are scheduled in priority order. 10 is the lowest priority - hopefully yours is a 10. If not and the dealer has other Edges with a priority of 10 those get built first.

In other words - it's all up to the dealer, the priority and dealer allocation.

Ford has a program where they allow pre-sold vehicles to be given first priority without regard to the dealer's allocation but that's only for select vehicles like the 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

I'm sure Ford would love to do that for all vehicles but that would end up with some dealerships getting over-allocated and some getting under-allocated and the dealers would never stand for that. They'd sue Ford under the auto franchise state laws and win.

Dealer puts in the order just like all their other orders. They assign a priority and when the dealer has allocation available then the vehicles are scheduled in priority order. 10 is the lowest priority - hopefully yours is a 10. If not and the dealer has other Edges with a priority of 10 those get built first.

In other words - it's all up to the dealer, the priority and dealer allocation.

Ford has a program where they allow pre-sold vehicles to be given first priority without regard to the dealer's allocation but that's only for select vehicles like the 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

I'm sure Ford would love to do that for all vehicles but that would end up with some dealerships getting over-allocated and some getting under-allocated and the dealers would never stand for that. They'd sue Ford under the auto franchise state laws and win.

After my 2011 edge ordering experience, i'm learning that the whole dealership model needs to be dumped. Think Amazon.

I want to buy my next NEW car on "Amazon"

Edited by wilsons66604

After my 2011 edge ordering experience, i'm learning that the whole dealership model needs to be dumped. Think Amazon.

I want to buy my next NEW car on "Amazon"

So what are you waiting for? Go get all 50 states to change their automotive franchise laws. Let us know when you're done.

What you also have to remember is that especially with a model change, there is always a period of "plant shutdown" for retooling and such. So for let's say 1 month or so, nothing is produced, then they will run the line and inspect for quality, if it needs "tweaking" that takes time also. When you think about the scale of it all it is almost overwhelming that we see waht we ordered to begin with. As I said earlier, my edge was built on 7/13/10. allegedly the quality issues have been resolved and these babies are just now getting loaded onto trucks from the "holding" lots. I know mine is close to arrival, as my wife who works for Ford, got an email, that my edge is in transit to her plant where it gets dropped off for a dealer come and pick it up and prep it then they bring it back to the plant for delivery.....why not go to the dealer to begin with? i'll let you know when it arrives here in Cleveland

What you also have to remember is that especially with a model change, there is always a period of "plant shutdown" for retooling and such. So for let's say 1 month or so, nothing is produced,

rmmick, you're living in the past. New model changeovers no longer require a shutdown period, unless it's a major change like Michigan Truck being converted to build Focuses. The 2011 Edges starting building at the same time as 2010 Edges (and Flexes) were still being produced on the same line. There was no shutdown period at all. The plants do still shutdown for a couple weeks at Christmas and in the summer. That's when major equipment and maintenance work is done, but it's no longer tied to model year changeovers.

I was on the Ford Media Site and just found confirmation that Ford has started to ship the new 2011 Edges this past weekend....

Here is the link to the Ford Media Site http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33124

Might need everyones help. So I have been dealing with my longtime dealer in Blair Nebraska. I have stopped in twice and both times I knew more about the 2011 Edge then they did. I saw the jgilles post (Thanks) today and called them up. Thomas at the dealer told me that no 2011 Edge has not started production and would not until late fall at the earliest.

He informed me that I could not even order one yet. I confirmed that he was not talking about the 2011 Explorer and he told me that my source was wrong. I told him it was on the Ford Media site and he said that it was wrong. The last guy I talked to there did not know about the MyFord Touch. He kept telling me that it was only a voice system and Ford would not have a touch screen system on the 2011.

Do I need to find a new dealer to work with or am I crazy. Does anyone have a good dealer within a two hour drive of Omaha to work with? THANKS!

Might need everyones help. So I have been dealing with my longtime dealer in Blair Nebraska. I have stopped in twice and both times I knew more about the 2011 Edge then they did. I saw the jgilles post (Thanks) today and called them up. Thomas at the dealer told me that no 2011 Edge has not started production and would not until late fall at the earliest.

He informed me that I could not even order one yet. I confirmed that he was not talking about the 2011 Explorer and he told me that my source was wrong. I told him it was on the Ford Media site and he said that it was wrong. The last guy I talked to there did not know about the MyFord Touch. He kept telling me that it was only a voice system and Ford would not have a touch screen system on the 2011.

Do I need to find a new dealer to work with or am I crazy. Does anyone have a good dealer within a two hour drive of Omaha to work with? THANKS!

Heck. You just mentioned several reason for finding a new dealer. That's insane. Just about any other dealer would be better.

I'm kinda wishing I had gone to a Kansas City dealer over this small dealership in Topeka. The dealerships are bigger so I'm guessing they have more stroke when it comes to getting the cars they want.

Check out Lincoln, Omaha, or Bellevue (my birth place)

Heck. You just mentioned several reason for finding a new dealer. That's insane. Just about any other dealer would be better.

I'm kinda wishing I had gone to a Kansas City dealer over this small dealership in Topeka. The dealerships are bigger so I'm guessing they have more stroke when it comes to getting the cars they want.

Check out Lincoln, Omaha, or Bellevue (my birth place)

Talked to a dealer out of Lincoln NE and they should have them any day now as they are on the road now. Here is the status he pulled for me of their unclaimed orders. They are looking at a 6-8 week turn time on new orders.

In Transit:

FWD SEL Earth $35165 MSRP

Awaiting Shipment

AWD LTD Black $43135 MSRP

FWD SE Silver $28990 MSRP

FWD LTD Red Candy $41285 MSRP

AWD LTD White Platinum $42810 MSRP

Talked to a dealer out of Lincoln NE and they should have them any day now as they are on the road now. Here is the status he pulled for me of their unclaimed orders. They are looking at a 6-8 week turn time on new orders.

In Transit:

Awaiting Shipment

I'm real tempted to drive to Lincoln!!

What dealership was this?

Dibs on the black ltd

I'm real tempted to drive to Lincoln!!

What dealership was this?

Dibs on the black ltd

Hi all, new to this forum, but reading with interest. Just did a google search looking for latest 2011 Canadian brochure and found this dealer selling them...... See link.

http://healyford.autotrader.ca/new-inventory/index.htm?SByear=clear&SBmake=Ford&SBmodel=Edge&SBbodystyle=clear&SBprice=clear

Edited by ahammet

In Transit:

Awaiting Shipment

My dealer in Walnut Creek, CA called today to confirm that my order has been scheduled for production the week of Aug. 30. I placed the order on July 20.

After reading this I couldn’t help but think of my dealer when i originally went in to talk to them about getting a 2011 Edge but that was back in March! I would call around if I were you and find someone else who has information on the 2011 Edges, or is willing to research it for you rather than just tell you that you and Ford are wrong and that you don’t know what you are talking about. My dealer doesn’t seem to be getting the same information that I am considering that I have had my VIN # since the 6th of August and he keeps calling me to say that he hasn’t received any updates. But considering all the information I was able to find out on the forum it didn’t really bother me. Knowing that they are already shipping units I would find a dealer that has some that are in transit and see if it is what you want rather than order it. However if you do order I would look at the forums to find out some good questions to ask your dealer ie. what is your allocation? what priority are you going to give me?(10 is the best) Asking questions like this will give you a really good idea of how fast you will get your order and if they are really open about it and tell you everything then you know you are working with a good dealer that is going to try and help make sure you are happy. Either way good luck and don’t get discouraged just from one dealer.

Jgilles

I ordered a 2011 Edge AWD Limited on July 27th. I will not get it until the middle of October. I ordered the following options:

Trailer Tow Pkg

Driver Entry Pkg

Vision Pkg.

Canadian Touring Pkg. (Vista roof and Nav)

Block Heater

HID headlamps

White Platinum Metalic Tri-coat

mud flaps

chrome bug deflector

All weather floor mats

I am switching to Ford after being a long time Toyota owner. I was interested in the Acura RDX but the FORD sync and powertrain in my opinion is far better and the price was better.

I called the CRC and they told me that the status was updated on 8/20/10 as being in order processing scheduled to week of September 9th. I asked if that was the build date and the person said that it was not the official build day yet since it is shown as order processing. When I checked on the 13th it said that it was scheduled to the week of 8/30/10 and then last week it got pushed to the week of 9/6/10 and today she said 9/9/10 which is the same as the week of 9/6/10 but she said that could change. Is this typical for the dates to keep changing every week? Does anyone know what it means when it is in order processing but assigned to a week?

Thanks.

Jgilles

I'm in Southern California and ordered my 2011 Edge Limited the first week of July. I was told today (08/25) that my car was made and should have an estimated delivery date in the next couple of days. The dealer originally told me he estimated 5 weeks from ordering and that should hold up unless there is a delay in shipment.

I also ordered in early June and wanted an update. The GM of the dealership told me that they will begin building special orders first and then the dealers inventory. He said I should now expect the car by early to mid September.

offer him sticker...these will be hard to get for some time and there will be no incentives on them for anytime soon or you could wait until the snow starts flying and see what the programs might be at that time....this is a very anticipated vehicle, that has delayed being shipped for reasons unknown to the common man. there will not be an excess of inventory anytime soon that will allow us as consumers to really "deal" on these cars. If you can get low interest financing, maybe 4.9% or so grab it in my opinion as that will be about all that will be available on this vehicle anytime soon

Hi, I'm in Toronto and looking into buying a 2011 Edge Limited. Would like to see some example of the deal that your guys made,so that I can get some ideas of how much to offer the dealer.. Thanks

It depends on a few factors: Are you getting a loan? Right now Ford has employee pricing which is worth $5000.00 on the 2011. If your paying cash you should be able to get at least $1500.00 more off the price. Have them throw in some goodies (mats, bug deflector etc.) Do not pay the list price (sticker). It is a hot vehicle, but the market is'nt easy in the $40,000 range, so they should be able to go down. Make them a fair offer....let them refuse......walk away (leave your number). They will call you back within a week. Also if there is more than one dealer near buy, try the same strategy and see who bites.

It depends on a few factors: Are you getting a loan? Right now Ford has employee pricing which is worth $5000.00 on the 2011. If your paying cash you should be able to get at least $1500.00 more off the price. Have them throw in some goodies (mats, bug deflector etc.) Do not pay the list price (sticker). It is a hot vehicle, but the market is'nt easy in the $40,000 range, so they should be able to go down. Make them a fair offer....let them refuse......walk away (leave your number). They will call you back within a week. Also if there is more than one dealer near buy, try the same strategy and see who bites.

I just looked online and in my area they are offering an additional "$1000 Promotional Retail Bonus Customer Cash" I am using either X or Z plan does anyone know if I will be eligable for this additional $1000.00 even though I will be using a pin?