SEL wheels - chrome plastic cover?

Scott S

I was just going over the edge info and I noticed that the wheels are aluminum with a plastic cover which is chrome plated and glued to the the wheel giving it a chromed appearance- is this right?

Why would they not use a real polished or plated wheel?

Sounds cheap and tacky to me.

If that is the case then why not stop by your local discount store and grab some trick hub caps and snap em on some old wheels - not!

Sort of reminds me of my dads old hub capped land yachts of yesterday!

I wonder what else is faux. :banghead:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just going over the edge info and I noticed that the wheels are aluminum with a plastic cover which is chrome plated and glued to the the wheel giving it a chromed appearance- is this right?

Why would they not use a real polished or plated wheel?

Sounds cheap and tacky to me.

If that is the case then why not stop by your local discount store and grab some trick hub caps and snap em on some old wheels - not!

Sort of reminds me of my dads old hub capped land yachts of yesterday!

I wonder what else is faux. :banghead:

Unfortunately your assessment is correct as many of us are beginning to find this out also :reading:

Agreed - its likely a cost cutting measure.. they are a business...

But the effect is the same.. and frankly - I like the way they look...

Ya know.. I think I would up give real chrome for some of the other features the Edge has - most people who want the real deal - go out and do it themselves anyway.

If they didn't offer the look - you would take what they gave you and changed it yourself anyhow...

Its like the issue of a powerlift gate - that thing is light as a feather - but some still aren't happy.

Guess you can't please all the people.. all of the time.

Agreed - its likely a cost cutting measure.. they are a business...

But the effect is the same.. and frankly - I like the way they look...

Ya know.. I think I would up give real chrome for some of the other features the Edge has - most people who want the real deal - go out and do it themselves anyway.

If they didn't offer the look - you would take what they gave you and changed it yourself anyhow...

Its like the issue of a powerlift gate - that thing is light as a feather - but some still aren't happy.

Guess you can't please all the people.. all of the time.

Did you review the cost of those plastic covered wheels.

Pretty pricy to have to replace with the real deal!

Sort of like using a vinyl seating surface and saying "leather like seats"

Just sort of bothers me to have a nice ride with plastic hub caps.

My guess - is that cost has to do with the process of making them - it is plated covers - not just plastic - and its still on an aluminum rim - so my guess.. some shopping was done - and this was the best cost way for them to go.

Your dash is plastic - your seats surfaces are leather - the rest ain't - Im sure we can pick apart the entire interior -

Give me that AWESOME vista roof over real chrome any day. The rims still look better than any others I have seen on comparable vehicles

Ahhh just enjoy the ride...

I like the idea , the plastic chrome portion can be removed in winter to reveal the still good looking painted aluminum wheeles underneath.The plastic parts wont be on the wheele to get damaged if you bump the curb or whatever in below freezing temps ! Assuming your in an northern region of North America.

• 4 months later...

I took notice of this when I was at my dealer the other day after reading another comment about it online. I find it incredibly cheap, not to mention misleading, for Ford to advertise this option as they do when, in fact, they are nothing more than chromed plastic hub caps. I mean, this is an option that is billed as "18-inch Premium Chrome Clad Wheels" with a price tag of $750! Really? C'mon.

It's this kind of stuff that turns me off to Ford. They market their cars as having impressive features and options, but when you scratch the surface (not difficult considering it's probably a hard-plastic surface), you find that it's half-baked or faux/simulated instead of giving you the real deal for the money. I guess they think they can fool enough people to make it worth it. I mean, an 08 Edge Limited with a few options such as Vista Roof and nav can easily reach into the $36K+ range. For the same money you can buy a 2008 Infiniti G35x AWD sport sedan which offers much more performance, luxury and technology. If it weren't for the fact that I get Ford X-plan pricing, I'd be at the Infiniti dealer right now instead of the Ford dealer (does anyone who doesn't get Ford plan pricing actually buy Fords anymore?). I know I'm comparing a sport sedan to a cross-over (not apples to apples exactly), but my point is that the Infiniti is a much more advanced, high-performance and luxurious vehicle for the same money. If a luxury brand like Infiniti can build the G35x, with much higher quality materials, more advanced AWD system, more powerful and smooth engine, more advanced features inside, better audio system, etc., etc. and sell it for $36K, why can't Ford come up with something a little closer to the mark for that price? I mean, every interior surface in the Edge is shaped out of hard plastic! There's not one soft-touch surface anywhere save for the leather wrapped steering wheel! And if the seating surfaces are actually leather, then why don't I smell leather when I get in the car? Maybe because the smell of new hard plastic is drowning out the leather smell?!! I get into my 2005 G35 Coupe, which is 2.5 years old now, and all I smell is leather. I get in a new Edge with leather seats, all I smell is plastic! And why does only the driver's window have one-touch down and none of the windows have one-touch up? Most other manufacturers, even non-luxury brands, at this point provide one-touch up and down for at least the front windows.

I don't expect Ford to measure up to Infiniti or any other luxury brand for that matter. Ford is, and should be, a value brand. All I'm saying is that if you're going to produce a vehicle such as an Edge Limited that prices in the mid-thirties and advertise features such as chrome-clad wheels and leather interior, at least make these items the real deal. If I'm paying $750 for 18" chromed aluminum wheels, I want true 18" chrome-plated wheels. Otherwise, describe the option as chrome plastic hub caps and sell it for the $150 it's worth. And if I'm spending the money for the leather seating option, I want to smell some nice leather when I get in the car. And, at this price, a few soft-touch interior surfaces (maybe the arm rests, for example) would be nice. And design a more impressive-looking stereo face, too, while your at it. These plain-jane, black face, green-LED readout stereos are a joke from the 1980's! Put some style and an LCD readout into it!

OK, I've started to go way off-topic. Sorry. I don't know if the new styles of chrome rims they are offering on the 2008 Edge are the same deal or not. I personally find the plastic chrome wheel covers offered on the Edge to be ugly, so I would likely just order the Edge with the standard wheels and hit tirerack.com for some real chrome-plated aluminum wheels in a more attractive style anyway. Then I'd just try to sell the original wheels on eBay or something for a few hundred bucks. The net result should put me in close to the same area as the plastic hub cap option offered by Ford from a cost perspective.

That's why these are called Chrome "Clad". A traditional chrome wheel is chromed steel which is much heavier than a aluminum rim with a chrome clad cover. Trust me, you wouldn't want the added weight of a 20" steel rim. The impact on MPG and braking would be significant. Also remember part of what you're paying for in the in the option is an upgraded Pirelli tire. At least on the 2008 model.

I took notice of this when I was at my dealer the other day after reading another comment about it online. I find it incredibly cheap, not to mention misleading, for Ford to advertise this option as they do when, in fact, they are nothing more than chromed plastic hub caps. I mean, this is an option that is billed as "18-inch Premium Chrome Clad Wheels" with a price tag of $750! Really? C'mon.

It's this kind of stuff that turns me off to Ford. They market their cars as having impressive features and options, but when you scratch the surface (not difficult considering it's probably a hard-plastic surface), you find that it's half-baked or faux/simulated instead of giving you the real deal for the money. I guess they think they can fool enough people to make it worth it. I mean, an 08 Edge Limited with a few options such as Vista Roof and nav can easily reach into the $36K+ range. For the same money you can buy a 2008 Infiniti G35x AWD sport sedan which offers much more performance, luxury and technology. If it weren't for the fact that I get Ford X-plan pricing, I'd be at the Infiniti dealer right now instead of the Ford dealer (does anyone who doesn't get Ford plan pricing actually buy Fords anymore?). I know I'm comparing a sport sedan to a cross-over (not apples to apples exactly), but my point is that the Infiniti is a much more advanced, high-performance and luxurious vehicle for the same money. If a luxury brand like Infiniti can build the G35x, with much higher quality materials, more advanced AWD system, more powerful and smooth engine, more advanced features inside, better audio system, etc., etc. and sell it for $36K, why can't Ford come up with something a little closer to the mark for that price? I mean, every interior surface in the Edge is shaped out of hard plastic! There's not one soft-touch surface anywhere save for the leather wrapped steering wheel! And if the seating surfaces are actually leather, then why don't I smell leather when I get in the car? Maybe because the smell of new hard plastic is drowning out the leather smell?!! I get into my 2005 G35 Coupe, which is 2.5 years old now, and all I smell is leather. I get in a new Edge with leather seats, all I smell is plastic! And why does only the driver's window have one-touch down and none of the windows have one-touch up? Most other manufacturers, even non-luxury brands, at this point provide one-touch up and down for at least the front windows.

I don't expect Ford to measure up to Infiniti or any other luxury brand for that matter. Ford is, and should be, a value brand. All I'm saying is that if you're going to produce a vehicle such as an Edge Limited that prices in the mid-thirties and advertise features such as chrome-clad wheels and leather interior, at least make these items the real deal. If I'm paying $750 for 18" chromed aluminum wheels, I want true 18" chrome-plated wheels. Otherwise, describe the option as chrome plastic hub caps and sell it for the $150 it's worth. And if I'm spending the money for the leather seating option, I want to smell some nice leather when I get in the car. And, at this price, a few soft-touch interior surfaces (maybe the arm rests, for example) would be nice. And design a more impressive-looking stereo face, too, while your at it. These plain-jane, black face, green-LED readout stereos are a joke from the 1980's! Put some style and an LCD readout into it!

OK, I've started to go way off-topic. Sorry. I don't know if the new styles of chrome rims they are offering on the 2008 Edge are the same deal or not. I personally find the plastic chrome wheel covers offered on the Edge to be ugly, so I would likely just order the Edge with the standard wheels and hit tirerack.com for some real chrome-plated aluminum wheels in a more attractive style anyway. Then I'd just try to sell the original wheels on eBay or something for a few hundred bucks. The net result should put me in close to the same area as the plastic hub cap option offered by Ford from a cost perspective.

Not a $750.00 option. When buying my SEL Plus in Aug, the standard wheel was a 17 inch. To upgrade to a 18 inch(not chrome plated) was a $350.00 option. The 18 inch chrome plated was a $750.00 option. So the way I see it, it's only $400.00 option for the chrome plated.

If it weren't for the fact that I get Ford X-plan pricing, I'd be at the Infiniti dealer right now instead of the Ford dealer (does anyone who doesn't get Ford plan pricing actually buy Fords anymore?).

If only it was in my power to take away your x-plan pricing I would, so you would not have to lower yourself to drive a pittyful Ford product.

Happy trails joker. :finger:

If it weren't for the fact that I get Ford X-plan pricing, I'd be at the Infiniti dealer right now instead of the Ford dealer (does anyone who doesn't get Ford plan pricing actually buy Fords anymore?).

Clearly you should purchase the Infiniti; I cannot imagine why you would spend ~30K for a vehicle that doesn't provide the special smell you want, rolling on plastic wheels and sporting a stereo out of a 1982 Chrysler K-Car. For just a little bit more you can have it all, my friend. Have it all... :hysterical:

Edited by Edgey

:reading: Well, Oh Really! Reminds me of this question: What is the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine? * * * Answer: The porcupine has the pricks on the outside. Annie.

I pulled the attached picture and caption below from the Ford website. The center two wheels are the exact same wheel, but the one on the right has the chrome cladding. So if you removed your chrome cladding, the wheel on the left-center of the picture would be your wheel.

*Four wheel design choices (from left to right): optional 18” 6-spoke aluminum chrome-clad, optional 18” painted aluminum, optional 18” aluminum chrome-clad, and standard 17” painted aluminum.

post-1743-1192808329_thumb.jpg

Edited by jmitchell

• 4 weeks later...
I have to agree with a few people here about the cheap factor.

I bought the full load SEL AWD and I get plastic wheel covers. That just doesn't seem right, this isn't a Kia.

The plastic doesn't bother me, it's a suitable and reliable material, especially given that chromed steel is no great shakes as a functional material for wheels.