2011 Sport V6 300+hp gas mileage?

interfx

I was reading about the 2011 ford mustang v6 that got over 40mpg, and it sounds like the 300hp engine that will be used in the 2011 edge sport... Yes, AC was off, and constant speed, but still very impressive...

Can anyone else confirm this? If this is the case, this I'll be an awesome vehicle...

I was reading about the 2011 ford mustang v6 that got over 40mpg, and it sounds like the 300hp engine that will be used in the 2011 edge sport... Yes, AC was off, and constant speed, but still very impressive...

Can anyone else confirm this? If this is the case, this I'll be an awesome vehicle...

You're already on the internet.

Google is your friend.

I haven't seen any claims of +40 mpg, that would be simply amazing. Most reviewers are pegging the mileage in the low 30's, which is still phenomenal for a 300+ HP motor. Can you imagine our Dad's big block V8's pulling that off! :)

Here's a link I found, http://green.autoblog.com/2010/03/04/2011-ford-mustang-v6-gets-31-mpg-highway-first-ever-for-300-hp/

I haven't seen any claims of +40 mpg, that would be simply amazing. Most reviewers are pegging the mileage in the low 30's, which is still phenomenal for a 300+ HP motor. Can you imagine our Dad's big block V8's pulling that off! :)

Here's a link I found, http://green.autoblog.com/2010/03/04/2011-ford-mustang-v6-gets-31-mpg-highway-first-ever-for-300-hp/

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/24/2011-ford-mustang-v6-runs-776-5-miles-on-one-tank-48-5-mpg-w-v/

This is the article I read. My question is more related if the Edge has the other improvements mentioned in the Mustang article? I did a google but can not find any reference if the other improvements have been implemented as part of the engine, drivetrain? They mentioned electrical power assist, tuned transmission, under car shields, etc...

new engine, along with careful calibration of the new transmission, was the most important part of the mileage equation. However, replacing hydraulic power steering with electric power assist and numerous small aerodynamic tweaks helped, too

I have not seen any reference to the Edge offering other than just the basic engine references being the same?

Any others out there know any more details?

Edited by interfx

• 2 weeks later...

the mustang they used in the 1000 lap challenge at bristol speedway got like 48 miles per gallon. it had engineers all over it before the run started. i would have been more impressed if they simply went to the local ford lot and took a complete stock car and did the challenge. may not have gotten 48 mpg, but at least it would have been closer to a real world test.

the mustang they used in the 1000 lap challenge at bristol speedway got like 48 miles per gallon. it had engineers all over it before the run started. i would have been more impressed if they simply went to the local ford lot and took a complete stock car and did the challenge. may not have gotten 48 mpg, but at least it would have been closer to a real world test.

Real world? They ran 1000 laps around an oval racing track! It wasn't meant to be real world or even close. It was a PR stunt and a pretty good one at that.

A correction to my earlier post. I checked the window sticker of the Edge Sport we are to delivery of in the neat future and it reads 17/23 mpg. Shows how much publications can be believed.

Actually if that is the case, that is nothing to be excited about. The Buick Enclave, 7 passenger, bigger vehicle FWD is better than these 17/23... I having my local dealer let me know when he gets them in, can't wait to drive one.

Is the 17/23 on the window sticker of the one you saw?

Actually if that is the case, that is nothing to be excited about. The Buick Enclave, 7 passenger, bigger vehicle FWD is better than these 17/23... I having my local dealer let me know when he gets them in, can't wait to drive one.

Yep. Read it again just in case my brain deceived me, still says 17/23 with a combined MPG of 19...that is for the Edge Sport AWD.

I personally thought it was going to be higher. Now it's up to my wife as to whether or not she still wants it.

And you're right, the larger SUV/CUV's have very similar fuel economy figures...kind of disappointing actually, but not a deal breaker for me (maybe the wifey though).

Edited by NoCaDiver

What I can't believe is the 2011 Ford Mustang, same engine is advertised to get 19/31???

I guess the Edge is much, much heavier to have type of difference (25% lower mpg highway estimates?)

Are you sure? Juyst went to Ford 2011 Edge website

Fuel economy (EPA-estimated) SE: 19 city/26hwy/21 combinded; SEL: 19 city/27hwy/22 combined; Limited: 19 city/27hwy/22 combined , sport mentioned 18/25

Edited by interfx

Here is the link to the window sticker. Got the VIN a couple of days ago, pulled the window sticker today.

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=2fmdk4ak4bba06397

Just passing the news along. :)

Wow, I'm jealous, this is exactly the options I'm looking for... Good luck with the mileage. I'm waiting to drive one before buying (drive an X5 now)

Last year's Edge AWD got 17/23 also, so it's the same but with 40 more hp.

For comparison, the Buick Enclave gets 16/22 in AWD trim with 15 less HP.

You can't compare FWD and AWD.

• 1 month later...

Why don't you guys just get the $69 G-Force Chip that just plugs in to the AIT sensor and then get 3-4 MPG more plus another 35-40 HP?

Ps. I ordered my 2011 Sport AWD and it is due in in three- to four weeks. The serial number are due this week.

Where do you get this chip - we have a 2011 edge sport coming in acouple weeks,

• 3 weeks later...

What I can't believe is the 2011 Ford Mustang, same engine is advertised to get 19/31???

I guess the Edge is much, much heavier to have type of difference (25% lower mpg highway estimates?)

Are you sure? Juyst went to Ford 2011 Edge website

Fuel economy (EPA-estimated) SE: 19 city/26hwy/21 combinded; SEL: 19 city/27hwy/22 combined; Limited: 19 city/27hwy/22 combined , sport mentioned 18/25

2011 Mustang V6 is 3500lbs.

'11 Sport AWD 4400lbs 17/23mpgs

'11 Sport FWD 4200lbs 18/25mpgs

• 2 weeks later...

Don't bother - it doesn't work. Not sure if Buzzman was being sarcastic or serious but either way it's a waste of money.

From the Buzzman: Well, Akirby does not have any written proof that teh G-Force does not work.

I will buy it and dyno the car before and after and track the mileage before and after.

If it works, then great! If it does not, ...I get my money back.

The G-force.com module controls the AST sensor that regulates your fuel air mixture, just as a Tuner would, but without changing your internal CPU programming.

It does not hurt your Ford Warranty.

It keeps your fuel air mixture at the perfect settings, even when it is Hot out, or you are stopping and then gunning it on a turn from a stop sign, etc.

You don't get the Bogged down hesitation and your fuel economy goes up to peak performance at all times.

Ford and other manufactures, have to set their tuning at a mediocure level of keeping your emmissions and stuff well within regulations, plus to limiy the extra power and concerns for all edges making thru the warrantee term, which hurts your HP and your mileage by 3-4 MPG.

Also, when you add a full tank of 93 octane fuel, you instantly get a retuned and sensor controlled 35-45 HP increase! The module retunes as needed!

So,....you want a higher mileage car, with similar but improved performance, just run regular fuel 87 octane.

You want a suped up version for awhile, just add Premium fuel!

I like the concept, and there is no down side to always trying to tune or retune your car, and,...you never have tuning issues or problems!

i will give it a try and report all in writing.

Akirby just mouths off all over this forum about it not working, and to forget it. Well, he does not have any proof of that. The company has been doing this for years with a money back guarantee, if you do not notice a good noticable improvement. they just set up the 2011 modules and are ready for purchase for the Ford Edge 2011.

I for one, try things and experiment to see if they really do what they claim. So far, this seems to be the simplest way to get some extra OOOOOOMMFFFF!

From the Buzzman: Well, Akirby does not have any written proof that teh G-Force does not work.

I will buy it and dyno the car before and after and track the mileage before and after.

If it works, then great! If it does not, ...I get my money back.

The G-force.com module controls the AST sensor that regulates your fuel air mixture, just as a Tuner would, but without changing your internal CPU programming.

It does not hurt your Ford Warranty.

It keeps your fuel air mixture at the perfect settings, even when it is Hot out, or you are stopping and then gunning it on a turn from a stop sign, etc.

You don't get the Bogged down hesitation and your fuel economy goes up to peak performance at all times.

Ford and other manufactures, have to set their tuning at a mediocure level of keeping your emmissions and stuff well within regulations, plus to limiy the extra power and concerns for all edges making thru the warrantee term, which hurts your HP and your mileage by 3-4 MPG.

Also, when you add a full tank of 93 octane fuel, you instantly get a retuned and sensor controlled 35-45 HP increase! The module retunes as needed!

So,....you want a higher mileage car, with similar but improved performance, just run regular fuel 87 octane.

You want a suped up version for awhile, just add Premium fuel!

I like the concept, and there is no down side to always trying to tune or retune your car, and,...you never have tuning issues or problems!

i will give it a try and report all in writing.

Akirby just mouths off all over this forum about it not working, and to forget it. Well, he does not have any proof of that. The company has been doing this for years with a money back guarantee, if you do not notice a good noticable improvement. they just set up the 2011 modules and are ready for purchase for the Ford Edge 2011.

I for one, try things and experiment to see if they really do what they claim. So far, this seems to be the simplest way to get some extra OOOOOOMMFFFF!

I'll have to LOL to the above... :D :D :D Ok, enough of that...

This pea brain doesn't know a whole lot about the new cars - do they really recognize the difference in Octane levels now, and self adjust when populating with '93 octane? Woah! Why would anyone even consider '87 Octane in this case? The meager delta in the cost per gallon? Pfffffffttt.....

Edited by Cuffer

• 1 month later...

I have a 2011 Sport and i'm averaging 15.5 MPG driving back roads in NY.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Sport and i'm averaging 15.5 MPG driving back roads in NY.

You must be driving it real hard? Do you have AWD?

Driving normal 95% city I'm getting 18.5mpg.

Last fill up driving it real hard, WOT at green lights, WOT at 25, 50, & 65 mph (so much fun) I got 16.8mpg.

I'm surprised to see you getting 15.5mpg

I'm on my dealers first tank of gas and I'm averaging 17.9 MPG. Id say 80%/20% hiway to surface streets, and a short commute of 15 miles each way, so the truck doesn't run at optimal temps for very long. Happy so far since my 2008 was only marginally better on gas. Of course this Sport has far superior handling and outrageous looks so the trade off is minimal.

UPDATE: Second tank of gas showed 18.3MPG from the computer. Third tank, 18.6MPG (computer seems dead on) Fourth tank, 19.0MPG. Mind you I still haven't broken 1K miles and I haven't been hard on the gas either.

Edited by Edgieguy

I have had my 2011 Sport now for 1200 kms (745 miles) and this is the start of my 3rd tank of gas. Approx 64 L (16.9 Gallons) to fill and 494kms (307 miles) to the tank. The computer states an average of 13L /100km or about 18 mpg.

The temperature here has been chilly, high of 8C (46F) with today being -12C (10F) so some of this is idling. Not too bad for a 3.7L V6 pushing 305 HP. My 2001 Ford Escape 3.0L V6 was doing the same mileage providing 200 HP. I am expecting the mileage to decrease with the winter coming in. Here's looking forward to the spring!

Edited by eclipsed7

I've had my Edge Sport for a month now.

I've filled it up 3 times. Most of my driving is local - 40-45 MPH max with traffic lights. I'm getting 16 MPG and I don't generally drive it hard. On the other hand, I've done a fair amount of idling to troubleshoot MyFordTouch issues, so that would impact overall mileage.

I'll be doing some highway miles for the Holiday this week. It will be interesting to see what it does for me with 2 adults and 3 dogs in the car (I doubt that the Dachshund's 12 pounds will have an impact, but combined the other 2 are about 110 pounds...)

-steve