Backup camera emblem

Found a post here about the emblem camera found in the Flex. One thing I didn't find was what I needed to purchase. I have spotted an emblem with a harness and without. Since I am going to be hooking this to a non factory monitor, I am questioning whether I need the harness at all. Can someone provide some direction ??

Thanks,

Derek

this is just speculation... but logically I would think you would need the harness.

if you have an after-market head unit, it likely has the RCA jacks for a camera on the back just waiting to be plugged in. if you bought that emblem camera with no wiring harness, how are you going to (1) power it (2) ground it (3) attach it to a rear light sensor to know you are in reverse (4) run RCA jacks up to the head unit to see the results?

now the harness you get might have actual plug tips you have to strip off and wire into your existing Edge wiring, as I see you have an '08 like me so there is no provision in the wiring back in the gate to accept direct plug and play wires for a camera since it was a not a rearview camera capable car. I have a thread on here that I talk about wiring a camera up to an 08 and no matter what camera you use or what head unit you use, the fundamentals would still be the same and part of that would say you will need a wiring harness to make all the above connections.

Well first, I believe it has a pigtail so there is wire ( just not a whole lot ). The other one I saw has a pile of extra wire. It may be the hatch area harness, but I don't know for sure.

Second, I won't be wiring this to any in-dash unit. I have a stand-alone monitor that I will plug into. So I am going to have to create everything I need to go to the front.

Well first, I believe it has a pigtail so there is wire ( just not a whole lot ). The other one I saw has a pile of extra wire. It may be the hatch area harness, but I don't know for sure.

Second, I won't be wiring this to any in-dash unit. I have a stand-alone monitor that I will plug into. So I am going to have to create everything I need to go to the front.

I may wish to do this for my '07. Would you PLEASE post pictures of the camera, wiring,and monitor and where you place it. Thanks and good luck with the install

I like saving $ like the next guy, IF you could reliably cut open the short pigtail and decide the ground, power, RCA "type" connection thats the way to go and it likely is possible BUT then you still need some wiring length anyway. so, the other has all the wiring length so once you deduce what wire is what, no nee to splice in a bunch of length, or have to go buy it, since it is all practically there. except for the 1 wire needing to go to the front of the car.

if you has a busted cam, I would just buy no harness and plug and play, since your trying to go from scratch, I would be inclined to get some wiring with it.. unless you know you can (1) reliably source out the wires from that little pig tail and not mess them up and (2) you have enough wiring sitting around the house because if not, prepare to spend $ and go buy some

I just ordered the same thing off of ebay. The tailgate camera with harness. Pd $140 for it. Also ordered the sync lockpick. Can't wait for it all to arrive so I can tear into a 2010 Limited. Hope it doesn't void any warranties... Now I will be able to unleash the sync capabilities.

Well, the emblem showed up with the wiring harness. It is just too big to fit on the Edge. Guess I will get a camera like lex did and just sell this monstrous thing I have. Anybody want a Ford emblem backup camera with harness......????

The lockpick is here but I am not going to install it until I get this backup camera figured out.

Well crap.... It looks pretty good. How does the top of it look? Does the raised part on the hatch look too weird with the oversized emblem? You know what I mean - that raised area where the original emblem is? How did you wire it in? Come on, I need the skinny on this one.. Did you have to cut any holes in the hatch at all?

It does not look to bad. The panel that the emblem is attached is plastic and is removed and I had to cut some of it out for the camera harness. I then used a metal strap to hold the emblem base to the plastic panel. I actually purchased a new plastic panel because I did not want to cut up the original panel. The wires are ran through where the license lights wires go. Then I run the wires like Lex did. It would have been real easy for Ford to do this on the new Edge's I don't know why Ford doesn't offer them.

post-4593-003864600 1281331070_thumb.jpg

It does not look to bad. The panel that the emblem is attached is plastic and is removed and I had to cut some of it out for the camera harness. I then used a metal strap to hold the emblem base to the plastic panel. I actually purchased a new plastic panel because I did not want to cut up the original panel. The wires are ran through where the license lights wires go. Then I run the wires like Lex did. It would have been real easy for Ford to do this on the new Edge's I don't know why Ford doesn't offer them.

Ford does on the 2011 EDGE and MKX

I will have to hold my emblem up to it again. It looks like the emblem on mine might be smaller. The contour on that panel does not match the contour on the camera emblem. I will double check tomorrow. You bought a new panel? Did it come already painted? How much was it?

No I had to have it painted, $94.00

Well, its official, I need help. The camera I got doesn't have the same connector as anything I can find on the net. I have an 8 pin connector and everyone else's is six. I have six wires to the camera. Two are pure white, two are pure black then one red and one blue. I can get part numbers if can help, but so far Google hasn't been much help.

• 2 weeks later...

Mission accomplished ! Will have pics up soon. Kinda neat to wire it up and it works the first time. The only thing I don't like is the picture seems to be overexposed in really bright sunlight. I might try to make a sun shield for the camera to see if that helps or not. Works well at night. Backup lights are more than enough light to make the camera work.