a/c fan is weak

the housing is the same for all of them, lower levels come with a screen, higher models with a filter but they are interchangeable, and very easy to change. Take it out to see which you have, if it's the screen you can clean it and put it back, if it's the filter just take it out for a short time to see how much difference it makes. You can buy either a filter or screen if you like, they both fit (but not at the same time).

I replaced my screen with a filter, but I cleaned the screen and keep it for when the filter gets dirty. It was probably 90% blocked with crud, no wonder the flow sucked. :)

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread and check mine, dang... doubt it was ever cleaned or replaced. In addition to the crud on it the person that owned this before me must have jammed the glove box full of crub. When I pulled out the box, there were letters, checks, registration, insurance cards, voter cards and napkins behind it. You can bet this didn't help the air flow!

Gotta love this forum!!!

• 2 years later...

My 07 Ford Edge, had a clogged filter, that the local dealership said did not exist in my vehicle.

The clogged filter, overheated the fan motor, and now the motor is dead...

Lesson learned! Don't blindly trust the local Ford dealership.

:(

A new fan from the Ford dealetship, will run me $200+ (just for the part). It can be found online, starting at $40+, and only takes 5 minutes to change out.

:)

• 1 year later...

I was having the exact problem. After following the instructions I removed th3 screen / filter. I discovered it was completely clogged. I was travel8ng in remote WI. So, I simply cleaned the filter. After putting things back together I started the car and tested the air. It was 1000 % stronger air flow. Thanks so much John T.

Ok I have the same weak fan issues, after reading many of the posts I decided to take a look myself.

The fan is located behind the glovebox, If your glove box is overloaded this may sow down the air intake.

If not here is what you need to do.

1.Empty the golvebox, on the floor is fine.

2.on the right side of the glovebox is a string that acts like a door opener........carefully unhook it there is an oblong hole for this purpose.

3.now you will need to remove the box as you open it it will stop on 2 plastic pegs one on the right and one on the left,

flex the carefully flex the box inwardon both sides so the box opens allthe way to the floor, it will come of its hinges thats ok.

4.You have read that there is a filter location there is no filter but there is a screen we will remove the screen.

on the fan housing behind the glovebox you just removed there is a tab toward the left side you will press this tab and remove this little plastic cover from left and the right side just slides in.

5. once this is removed there is a screen just like in your dryer slide this out and remove all the lint, get it all or after you install it it will blow all over your car.

there is writing on the screen to tell you wich side goes in first.

Once this is cleaned put it all together like you took it apart in reverse order.

[[][Do not use force on any of the steps and no tools required]

This worked for me the AC one again blows like it should

if you have weak blower problems this will remedy it.

Remember there is not a filter its a screen.

good luck,

No fix for the vents

I was having the exact problem. After following the instructions I removed th3 screen / filter. I discovered it was completely clogged. I was travel8ng in remote WI. So, I simply cleaned the filter. After putting things back together I started the car and tested the air. It was 1000 % stronger air flow.

You REALLY need to change this filter as soon as you can. Although you knocked out as much dirt as you could, it's still full of pollen and bacteria.

And with the increased airflow, your now inhaling this.

Don't know what Edge you are driving, this is what I use and I get it in 2 days. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LPTGAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uDYdBbZSJK0SV

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My sister stopped by today with her 6 month old focus with the same problem. Her car is still under warranty but I had the same problem with my 2008 a couple of years ago. Turned out to be the fan control module. It also seems to be a common problem that shows up in a lot of different ways on many models. On some the problem is high speed, others it's low speed, others in between. The module is behind the glove box on the 2008 and an easy fix. I think the module was around $30.