Ask A Professional Detailer?

What are your best strategies for fighting salt in the winter time on the sides and undercarriage of a car? I recently purchased a 2007 Edge that spent its life thus far in the Chicagoland area (we it will currently reside with me) and it has small bits of surface rust on the frame members on the undercarriage already.

If you'll allow me to, I'll answer your questions. For the undercarriage, I would suggest Krown Coat or some similar oil spray for it.

What are your thoughts on Rain-X or Aquapel or any other exterior glass rain repellant?

Aquapel rocks. I repeat, Aquapel rocks!!

Would you recommend any of the Motorcraft products for caring for my Edge?

No, but, like Shane, I've been detailing for many years and am very particular about what product I use for what purpose. Not saying they're bad, it's just they're re-labelled products from someone else. Tell me what specific things you need and I can point you in the right direction.

What do you recommend for vacuuming out the car, especially getting little bits out from between the front seats and the center console and under the front seats?

Shop vacs (and their competors like Rigid) come with attachments including a long narrow one. In a pinch you can take the tube from inside a paper towel roll and use that. Obviously not as good, but will do in a pinch.

Also, I notice that the previous owner may have used a household product such as Windex to clean the inside of the windows and windshield. When it's foggy on the inside, the streaks are VERY apparent and distracting. What is the best way to remove these streaks and still clean the windows on the inside?

Nothing wrong with Windex, per se. I would suggest it's his method, not his product choice. Get a microfiber towel made for glass and you will see a big difference in how it finishes off the glass.

Join a detailing forum is my last suggestion. You are here and have probably learned how helpful they can be. A good one will give you unbiased advice and also point out where you can get deals on things too. I happen to belong to Live2Detail. Check it out. A few members from here have come over and they really like it. Hope to see you there.

I'm waiting for delivery of my White 2012 sport. I want to get a sealant on asap but I will probably need to slightly correct the paint first. I use ONR for washing due to living in a condo and not easy to get a place to wash.

What polish works well with the white platinum clear coat. I figure I would need some clay work and a single step polish to get a perfect finish. I want to seal it with opti coat as I use opti-seal now and have been for about 3 years. I have a flex 3401 da orbital and some autogeek pads in various colors. I am thinking possibly Meguires 105 might be all I need if the clear coat isn't nearly as hard as my BMW 650i.

EDIT: haven't looked at detailing stuff in prob over a year and a half. Just some quick looking on the usual forums the new meg DA microfiber system looks awesome. Might look at going that route for my Flex.

Edited by NWS Alpine

I'm waiting for delivery of my White 2012 sport. I want to get a sealant on asap but I will probably need to slightly correct the paint first. I use ONR for washing due to living in a condo and not easy to get a place to wash.

What polish works well with the white platinum clear coat. I figure I would need some clay work and a single step polish to get a perfect finish. I want to seal it with opti coat as I use opti-seal now and have been for about 3 years. I have a flex 3401 da orbital and some autogeek pads in various colors. I am thinking possibly Meguires 105 might be all I need if the clear coat isn't nearly as hard as my BMW 650i.

EDIT: haven't looked at detailing stuff in prob over a year and a half. Just some quick looking on the usual forums the new meg DA microfiber system looks awesome. Might look at going that route for my Flex.

Sounds like you have the right gear.

I doubt the need for corrections unless they "washed" your car for you improperly OR you have to do lots of claying that would lead to micro mars. But if so, I would go with the least cutting (something like a blue finishing pad)

I just used opti coat 2.0 on a black vehicle. It's amazing stuff, just make sure you have LOTS of light and check for high spots before your 30 minute window goes up. (Although a light hand buff the next day will fix any spots)

When my metallic black 2011 MKX came in from me ordering it, the paint did not need a thing. They did not touch it so that made my job easier. I went with CQuartz as I knew I'd be getting stone chips so it is easier to do spot corrections that way. If you had not said Opti Coat, I would have suggested Duragloss 501 (yes, it is a Marine Cleaner) as it is AMAZING on what it does to white paint. But, it has a strong sealant component to it, so that is verbotten under the OC. The one product I do HIGHLY recommend which you WILL see results on, is IronX from Carpro. (Available at Autogeek in the US and EShine in Canada) You should be good to just go ahead and seal it after that. Check out the procedure I followed when I got my MKX:

http://www.live2deta...hread.php?t=971

Edited by richy

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my new 2012 Edge Limited (Black with Black Leather). I honestly don't think I will have the time to put in to do the new car prep work as described here so I am going to go the detail shop route. I have a few recommendations for local detail places, but wanted to see from the professionals here what I should look for in a "new car package" - is there a list of things that absolutely should be done, nice to haves, and great additions?

Thanks in advance...

Just picked up my new 2012 Edge Limited (Black with Black Leather). I honestly don't think I will have the time to put in to do the new car prep work as described here so I am going to go the detail shop route. I have a few recommendations for local detail places, but wanted to see from the professionals here what I should look for in a "new car package" - is there a list of things that absolutely should be done, nice to haves, and great additions?

Thanks in advance...

HEY! congrats on the new 2012 Edge!

I bet you can find a pro to detail your NEW ride for a few bucks

Thanks in advance...

This is typically what a new car prep contains when taking it to a professional detailer.

• Exterior:

• Removal of shipping plastic
    • Hand Wash
    • Clay bar decontamination
    • Choice of sealant or wax
    • All plastic, rubber and vinyl dressed and UV protected
    • Wheels cleaned and sealed
    • Chrome polished and sealed
    • Tires dressed

Interior Includes:

• Removal of shipping plastic
  • Interior and trunk fully vacuumed
  • Removal of debris
  • All plastic, rubber and vinyl dressed and UV protected
  • Leather seating cleaned and conditioned
  • A/C vents and filter de-odorized
  • Door jambs cleaned and waxed

Since you already have your Edge, I'm sure all of the shipping plastic has already been removed. Anyways, this should give you an idea of what a proper new car prep consists of. Any other questions, just let me know.

When my metallic black 2011 MKX came in from me ordering it, the paint did not need a thing. They did not touch it so that made my job easier. I went with CQuartz as I knew I'd be getting stone chips so it is easier to do spot corrections that way. If you had not said Opti Coat, I would have suggested Duragloss 501 (yes, it is a Marine Cleaner) as it is AMAZING on what it does to white paint. But, it has a strong sealant component to it, so that is verbotten under the OC. The one product I do HIGHLY recommend which you WILL see results on, is IronX from Carpro. (Available at Autogeek in the US and EShine in Canada) You should be good to just go ahead and seal it after that. Check out the procedure I followed when I got my MKX:

http://www.live2deta...hread.php?t=971

I already made them write down not to install a front plate and not wash it. The front plate isn't on my order but I don't want some guy in the shop install an spare one laying around. All the cars on the lot have a front plate with the dealers advertising. No front plates in FL. I am hoping I don't need to do any paint compounding and just remove any oxidation and seal it. I might just do a quick polish since I am putting opti coat.

^ Definitely make sure you clay bar it before sealing.

In the case of my MKX, in spite of it being black, it did not benefit from polishing and I would have been happy to do so. I cannot recommend the IronX stongly enough though. You will NOT need to clay if you use it, and some clay can instill marring which then would require polishing.

Been using Zaino for years but I'm just now learning about waterless wash and quick detail sprays. I've tried Griots waterless wash and Meguires Final Inspection. I like the Griots but did not care for the FI. My question: What is a good quick detail spray, available locally, to use between my 3 to 4 "Zainoings" each year? Will using a certain type of detail spray effect the bonding ability of the next coat of Zaino? Is there a spray wax I can use that won't effect my next coat of Zaino? What about Griots Speed Shine? Also, I've been thinking about trying Duragloss 105 instead of Zaino Z2.

Edited by fishx65

I use only Optimum no rinse and you can also use it as a quick detail. I only use it for bugs and bird droppings to get it off the paint quickly.

A quick detailer should not have any wax in it. If it does then it's a spray wax. Quick detailer is just used to remove contaminants that are sitting on top of your wax/sealant layer. It will not affect the re-application of your waxes.

In the case of my MKX, in spite of it being black, it did not benefit from polishing and I would have been happy to do so. I cannot recommend the IronX stongly enough though. You will NOT need to clay if you use it, and some clay can instill marring which then would require polishing.

Yep, depending on what clay you use and how aggressive it is, it can definitely cause marring. I use Clay Magic's fine grade on all of my new car preps and marring is never an issue.

Been using Zaino for years but I'm just now learning about waterless wash and quick detail sprays. I've tried Griots waterless wash and Meguires Final Inspection. I like the Griots but did not care for the FI. My question: What is a good quick detail spray, available locally, to use between my 3 to 4 "Zainoings" each year? Will using a certain type of detail spray effect the bonding ability of the next coat of Zaino? Is there a spray wax I can use that won't effect my next coat of Zaino? What about Griots Speed Shine? Also, I've been thinking about trying Duragloss 105 instead of Zaino Z2.

The only decent QDs that I've seen over the counter is Megs. Virtually all of the top detailing brands aren't available over the counter.

There are basically two different types of QDs, and you should know which type you are buying. There are QDs that are meant to be used on a clean paint surface (ie,Zaino Z6) and there are QDs that can be used on a lightly dirty paint surface (ie, Poorboys Spray & Wipe).

QDs are not all created equal, however in general they can elevate the shine of your paint, reduce the amount of dust, pollen, etc that sticks to your paint, allows you to remove smudges, fingerprints, etc as well. And most importantly, they extend the life of whatever paint protection you are using. If you are using a QD like Poorboys S&W, it will allow you to remove light dirt, dust, pollen, bird bombs, etc. This type of QD can be used safely on a lightly dirty paint surface because it has lubricants in it that prevent you from scratching your paint surface. They drastically reduce the number of times you need to wash your car as you can perform quick and easy maintenance in between full washes.

My favourite two QDs are Poorboys S&W and Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. If you are looking for a spray carnuba to be layered over your Z2, definitely take a look at Optimum Car Wax.

Canuck, will using any of these quick detail or spray wax products effect the bonding ability of a future coat of Zaino Z2. Lets say I started using a carnuba spray wax between washes. Would I then need to make sure to strip all the carnuba off my Edge before applying a coat of Z2? I'm not trying to get the ultimate shine, I just want to make sure I'm using the right product between my spring and fall Zainoings.

Fishx65, first of all, I have a lot of experience with Duragloss products. In fact, I do beta testing for them to help them develop and test new products to bring to market. DG 105 is an awesome product. I used to use Zaino years ago. I switched to DG and have never looked back. Ever. I would suggest you pick up some DG 601 bonding agent too. Why? 2 reasons: One, it actually extends the life of the 105 and Two, it makes the 105 cure instantly, rather than have to cure for the usual 12 hour period. In fact, what I suggest is to mix the 2 products in a 4 to 1 ratio of 105 to 601 in a cheap, plastic squeeze bottle and apply them at the same time. This saves you a step. Otherwise you have to apply 601, let it haze, and apply 105 into it, let that mix haze and then remove. Easier and quicker my way (which was suggested to me by one of the owners of DG). You can also get DG products locally at Carquest stores. But, if you call them directly, you get fresh stock and ANY order you place with them comes with a flat $5.00 shipping charge to CONUS. If you do that, order their 901 car soap...trust me, you will love it.

As far as a spray wax is concerned, DG's Aquawax (#951) is one of their signature products. It is amazing stuff and will give you a very slick surface. Hope that helps.

http://www.duragloss.com/

Canuck, will using any of these quick detail or spray wax products effect the bonding ability of a future coat of Zaino Z2. Lets say I started using a carnuba spray wax between washes. Would I then need to make sure to strip all the carnuba off my Edge before applying a coat of Z2? I'm not trying to get the ultimate shine, I just want to make sure I'm using the right product between my spring and fall Zainoings.

Yes it will. Sealants will not bond to carnubas, but carnubas will bond to sealants. If using Zaino Z2, you won't need to apply that anymore than 2 times a year.....3 at the extreme most to your Edge. So the couple of times a year that you do apply your Z2, simply wash your car with Dawn to strip off all remaining wax and then reapply your Z2. Let it cure for 24 hours and then you are ready to apply your carnuba of choice over top.

Yes it will. Sealants will not bond to carnubas, but carnubas will bond to sealants. If using Zaino Z2, you won't need to apply that anymore than 2 times a year.....3 at the extreme most to your Edge. So the couple of times a year that you do apply your Z2, simply wash your car with Dawn to strip off all remaining wax and then reapply your Z2. Let it cure for 24 hours and then you are ready to apply your carnuba of choice over top.

Shane, not with Duragloss Aquawax he won't. Have you ever used it? It's a polymeric sealant spray...yes, i know they call it "wax", but it isn't.

Shane, not with Duragloss Aquawax he won't. Have you ever used it? It's a polymeric sealant spray...yes, i know they call it "wax", but it isn't.

Good to know Richy. I haven't used the DG Aquawax, however my comment was based solely on actual waxes. It''s kinda like Zaino calling their Z2/Z5 products polishes when then are simply sealants. Sigh. Btw, what are your thoughts on the Aquawax?

EDIT: I just read your thoughts on the Aquawax. :)

Edited by CanuckG35

Good to know Richy. I haven't used the DG Aquawax, however my comment was based solely on actual waxes. It''s kinda like Zaino calling their Z2/Z5 products polishes when then are simply sealants. Sigh. Btw, what are your thoughts on the Aquawax?

EDIT: I just read your thoughts on the Aquawax. :)

Shane, we should really have a phone conversation about Duragloss. Their products are inexpensive, and work amazingly well. The owners are the most down to earth people you could ever meet and are both PHD Chemists. Eshine had DG 501 for 50% off a few weeks ago too. Here are just a few of their products you really, really should try:

DG 105 sealant

DG 601 Polish Bonding Agent

DG 951 Aquawax

DG 671 Swirl Remover (an amazing All in One product)

DG 501 (it is listed as a Marine Polish, but it's an amazing paint cleaner, not quite as strong correction as 671 but has great protection all on its own too)

DG 901 soap

Try those and you will be in love with the DG line. Honest to God, anyone I have ever sent their way has fallen in love with their line. I have stuck with it for years for a reason: it works well and is very reasonably priced! PM me for my phone # if you want to yack.

Shane, we should really have a phone conversation about Duragloss. Their products are inexpensive, and work amazingly well. The owners are the most down to earth people you could ever meet and are both PHD Chemists. Eshine had DG 501 for 50% off a few weeks ago too. Here are just a few of their products you really, really should try:

DG 105 sealant

DG 951 Aquawax

DG 501 (it is listed as a Marine Polish, but it's an amazing paint cleaner, not quite as strong correction as 671 but has great protection all on its own too)

DG 901 soap

Try those and you will be in love with the DG line. Honest to God, anyone I have ever sent their way has fallen in love with their line. I have stuck with it for years for a reason: it works well and is very reasonably priced! PM me for my phone # if you want to yack.

Rich, would love to have a phone conversation. I leave for Europe for a month on Sunday so if you have time to chat before then that would be great. I'll PM you for your phone number. :)

Cheers,

Shane

DG 105 sealant

DG 951 Aquawax

DG 901 soap

Hi Richy,

Are the items you suggested compatible with using on PPF (Clear-Bra type material)? Would I need to use as many (or more), or maybe just different products on that? Does it matter what brand of PPF I have or would that be pretty much all the same?

Thanks!

~M