Ask A Professional Detailer?

So if anyone wants to ask any questions or needs any detailing advice just post it here in this thread. I myself own a detailing business and another member here codyyfz is another well versed detailer. Any questions on wanting to keep your new Edge in showroom condition, please post here and I will be glad to help.

• Like 1

What's your impression of the finish of the 11 Edge?

How good is the clear coat ?

I'm lazy and I don't wax my cars much. I only spray wash it at the local car washes.

Once in a while I will use a mitt and bucket to cut through some of the grime.

Won't the factory clearcoat last forever??? :shades:

Don't get him started on the local car washes. :) He wants me to stand out in below freezing temps and coin op it. I promise I will have good intentions to do so - but I can almost guarantee that I won't. I would probably just not wash it till I can put the hose back outside...

Actually I wouldn't mind any tips. I will try to do the more work stuff next summer as it is too late here to be working on the car much outside and the garage is too small now.

What's your impression of the finish of the 11 Edge?

How good is the clear coat ?

I'm lazy and I don't wax my cars much. I only spray wash it at the local car washes.

Once in a while I will use a mitt and bucket to cut through some of the grime.

Won't the factory clearcoat last forever??? :shades:

I will be able to tell you more once I actually have the new Edge in my driveway. I have a paint thickness guage and will measure the thickness of the clear coat/paint when I get it.

If you don't want to wax your vehicles frequently, I would highly recommend using a sealant vs. a wax as they are much more durable.

I have 2 questions:

1 - The inside of the windshield always gets a film on it... my Edge hasn't yet but I'm sure it will. I think it's something to do with the materials off-gassing. What's the best way to keep the windows clean inside and out?

2 - What do you use on the dash? I don't want it shiny just clean.

Thanks for being our detailing answer guy!

I have 2 questions:

1 - The inside of the windshield always gets a film on it... my Edge hasn't yet but I'm sure it will. I think it's something to do with the materials off-gassing. What's the best way to keep the windows clean inside and out?

2 - What do you use on the dash? I don't want it shiny just clean.

Thanks for being our detailing answer guy!

1. Stoners Invisible Glass is the best out there IMO.

2. 303 Aerospace is all I use and leaves a nice matte finish.

Any other questions, just let me know. :)

Edited by CanuckG35
  • Like 3

Thanks! Just ordered some from Detailed Image along with the Poorboy's you recommended to choff for spot cleaning.

Awesome! George at Detailed Image is a very experienced detailer and is awesome to deal with.

When using the Poorboys Spray & Wipe, make sure you have at least 3 clean good quality MF towels. You'll love this stuff. My vehicles always have this in the trunk along with a few MF towels, I never leave home without it! :)

Any other questions, just let me know.

• Like 1

So if anyone wants to ask any questions or needs any detailing advice just post it here in this thread. I myself own a detailing business and another member here codyyfz is another well versed detailer. Any questions on wanting to keep your new Edge in showroom condition, please post here and I will be glad to help.

This is great having a Pro to ask, when you get your Edge you definitely will be due some paybacks. Canuck, how is the Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2? Lasts?

• Like 1

This is great having a Pro to ask, when you get your Edge you definitely will be due some paybacks. Canuck, how is the Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2? Lasts?

It's not too bad for the price. The stuff looks good and provides some great depth and "pop" to your paint, however durability isn't very good. Expect to reapply the stuff at least every 4 weeks. It's not what I would choose to put on my own vehicle, however having said that virtually all of the products I use are not available over the counter.

• Like 1

It's not too bad for the price. The stuff looks good and provides some great depth and "pop" to your paint, however durability isn't very good. Expect to reapply the stuff at least every 4 weeks. It's not what I would choose to put on my own vehicle, however having said that virtually all of the products I use are not available over the counter.

I used NXT Tech wax 2 as well. What is the best over the counter syn wax out there?

Can you get these at retail store or just online (Like Poorboys)?

• Like 1

what over the counter product would you recommend then? Keep in mind also that though I love taking care of my vehicles, I do have somewhat limited time to devote to it also. That makes paste waxing harder for me to find time to accomplish.

I used NXT Tech wax 2 as well. What is the best over the counter syn wax out there?

Can you get these at retail store or just online (Like Poorboys)?

Good question. If I had to purchase an over the counter product, it probably would be the Tech Wax 2.0.

Brands like Poorboys, Menzerna, Chemical Guys, Zaino, Blackfire, Klasse, etc are not available over the counter and are only available at detailing stores. While detailing is more than just a hobby for me, I only purchase products from professional detailing stores. For the US, I would highly recommend www.detailedimage.com and in Canada I would recommend www.eshine.ca

what over the counter product would you recommend then? Keep in mind also that though I love taking care of my vehicles, I do have somewhat limited time to devote to it also. That makes paste waxing harder for me to find time to accomplish.

You may want to look at applying a synthetic polymer sealant first before you apply your wax of choice. For an over the counter wax, I would stick with the Tech Wax 2.0. Like I mentioned previously, it's not very durable and you will need to reapply it often. If you put a sealant on first, that will give you durability for up to six months or so. Having a sealant applied first then a wax provides the best of both worlds. :)

Good question. If I had to purchase an over the counter product, it probably would be the Tech Wax 2.0.

Brands like Poorboys, Menzerna, Chemical Guys, Zaino, Blackfire, Klasse, etc are not available over the counter and are only available at detailing stores. While detailing is more than just a hobby for me, I only purchase products from professional detailing stores. For the US, I would highly recommend www.detailedimage.com and in Canada I would recommend www.eshine.ca

Thanks, I'll do some window shopping. More questions to come I'm sure....

You may want to look at applying a synthetic polymer sealant first before you apply your wax of choice. For an over the counter wax, I would stick with the Tech Wax 2.0. Like I mentioned previously, it's not very durable and you will need to reapply it often. If you put a sealant on first, that will give you durability for up to six months or so. Having a sealant applied first then a wax provides the best of both worlds. :)

Thanks Canuck

For anyone wanting to get ready for the winter months and keeping your Edge clean, eShine currently has a sale on Optimum No Rinse. This is a rinseless wash product that comes in VERY handy in the cold winter months when you don't have access to a hose. :)

http://www.eshine.ca/optimum_no_rinse_wash__shine_32oz-1609.php?cat=81

So Canuck ~ Just thought I would let you know that I washed my baby for the first time. I will only tell you that I did it myself with a hose (it is above freezing today), but I won't horrify you with any other details. Just be proud I did it myself and no drive through. :)

Good for you, I am most definitely proud of you! :)happy%20feet.gifhappy%20feet.gif

Hi Canuck,

So when should someone put a sealant on new car paint? I'm in Minnesota and pending confirmation from the dealer should be picking up my new ride early-mid November, and the average high temp is 40F. I'm hoping that the factory paint/treatment job will last until spring (April/May). What is your advice?

Hi Canuck,

So when should someone put a sealant on new car paint? I'm in Minnesota and pending confirmation from the dealer should be picking up my new ride early-mid November, and the average high temp is 40F. I'm hoping that the factory paint/treatment job will last until spring (April/May). What is your advice?

When should apply a sealant on new car paint? Immediately. There is no paint protection applied from the factory, which is why it's always recommended to do it right away. Regarding the application in November and for longevity reasons, it's typically recommended to apply a sealant at a temperature of at least 50 degrees. If you have a heated garage or know someone that does, it would be optimal. With the lower temperatures, it will just take longer for the sealant to haze before you can wipe it off. Like you, I will be taking delivery in November (late November), and the first things I will be doing is claybarring it, polishing it, and then sealing it with Menzerna Power Lock.

I hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the info Canuck. If the dealer offers a sealant application should I take it, or find a local detailer, or try to do it myself? If the dealer offers it, can I use your method & product selection as a benchmark? How do I know the dealer isn't going to just spray WD40 on it an call it a day?

I'm a bit leery about doing it myself because I've built furniture before as a hobby, and if I screwed up the finish I could just take it down a little and start again. i don't think you have that option with car paint finishes, especially if it's a funky metallic/glass Tuxedo Black.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by johnd01