Ask A Professional Detailer?

1. I am looking to purchase a 3m protect and product to be placed on the grill, wing mirrors, hood, etc. What kind of prep work should idem and before this is done? Wash, clay bar and then 3m?

2. I'm in Calgary, Alberta and think I will get my car detailed quickly after it arrives here in a couple weeks (super painful wait) so I know it's sealed and protected - anyone know anyone recommended here? Anything else I should ask for them to do? After this detail, I'm hoping to try to keep up myself, otherwise I will take it in for a detail once a year...

1. The most important factor of prepping your paint for 3M film is insurring that no wax or sealant is applied on the paint. You should wash the designated areas with a strong cleaner like Dawn dish washing soap to strip any type of wax or sealant product. After washing the areas, follow up with the clay bar process. After claying the areas, you should do a wipe down with an alcohol/water mix, this will further remove any wax or sealants left over and the paint should feel a bit grabby. After these steps, your paint should be ready for the film.

2. This is really a preference question and I'm sure different detailers will give you different recommendations. I bought my edge from the factory so I was able to pick it up the day it arrived at the dealership. For the most part, it was clean enough, it just needed interior/exterior protection applied. So when you get yours, you don't have to get it detailed exactly, just ask the detailers to apply interior leather protection and apply an exterior sealant.

The products for the interior and exterior protection should be cheaper than actually paying for the service. Do you think you'll have time to do it yourself? It would probably take about 2 hours to apply protection to your whole car(interior & exterior), and that's an estimated time frame for someone who has never done it before. I could recommened some off the shelf products for you if you decide to go that route.

Read 9 pages and saw nothing regarding cleaning engine bay. Now i wanted to know is it harmful to anything to use like a spray waterless exterior wash in the engine bay or something that doesn't need to be wiped off and maybe just sprayed off with water because wiping it down there will be areas that u can not reach and will stay dirty.

So any ideas\ methods that you have used in the past that could help?

Thanks.

-Cruz

• 4 weeks later...

Totally diggin' my new Edge and all the products that help me keep it crisp. But now a few more questions:

- I bought a pressure washer and did a thorough wash but now see hard water stains everywhere. I know my house has hard water. Is there something I can get to prevent this? I have an option on my pressure washer to allow chemical to be added into my pressure washer...

- any idea what I can se to clean the black touch center stack, without scratching it? Currently I'm using swiffer towels, but am worried about scratching it (sae question in relation to the outer black bits, by the windows)

Thx!

I use a Mr. Clean car wash kit that includes a water filter. Give the vehicle a final rinse with filtered water and it won't leave spots. The other option is to put a filter on the water supply going to the hose bib. Or use a blower and/or a drying cloth so the water doesn't dry in spots.

Wash when cool, in the shade. I use Meguires car wash, never had water spot problems, even on my wifes cinnamon (dark) MKS.

For the center stack, try using Pledge furniture polish with a microfiber cloth. Not only works well on furiture, but also on plastics. :banvictory:

Edited by JOEHIO

Wow. Two days later, I've read thru all of the posts and I have a few things to say:

1. You lot are super helpful, intelligent and interesting

2. Thank you for spending the time to share your knowledge

3. Thanks for helping us noobs out and sharing your interest of protecting your cars

Here are a few of my questions after reading 19 pages...

1. I am looking to purchase a 3m protect and product to be placed on the grill, wing mirrors, hood, etc. What kind of prep work should idem and before this is done? Wash, clay bar and then 3m?

2. I'm in Calgary, Alberta and think I will get my car detailed quickly after it arrives here in a couple weeks (super painful wait) so I know it's sealed and protected - anyone know anyone recommended here? Anything else I should ask for them to do? After this detail, I'm hoping to try to keep up myself, otherwise I will take it in for a detail once a year...

3. I've printed 30 pages of product, compiled a four page document but still wonder if someone has a list to help me streamline my focus. I care a lot to maintain this cars paint, but do NOT have the time to complete all that I now know to do to get the most of my exterior. Is there some clear bare minimums to start with?

You all have been super helpful and I thank you, my 2013 Ford Edge Sport will thank you.

Anyone passing thru Calgary, let me know. Beers on me for your help.

James a.k.a lazy newbie with passion

James, register on Live2detail.com. The owner is Carlos who resides in Calgary. You can do a search in the Exhibition Room under "threads started by user" and search by Carlos and you will see his work. He's very good too. I would strongly suggest you coat your paint with Opti Guard. That's the best advice I can give you.

I use a Mr. Clean car wash kit that includes a water filter. Give the vehicle a final rinse with filtered water and it won't leave spots. The other option is to put a filter on the water supply going to the hose bib. Or use a blower and/or a drying cloth so the water doesn't dry in spots.

Rhx for the answers guys! All helpful. I think the mistake I made must've been in sunlight? I used a drying towel immediately, or so I thought. Now I still can't get those bloody water stains off...

Looked everywhere to see if there was an attachment I can add to my spigot to lessen my harsh water, but can't find anything... Any ideas?

Try white vinegar on the water spots. will also remove any wax on the paint, and invisible glass cleaner/microfiber cloth on the stack. Get yourself a film shield for the stack, it eliminate the chance of fingerprints and scratches.

All the best,with the new ride.

JC

Any idea where I can find a film for the stack?

• 2 weeks later...

wow, what a great thread. Ive read so much since i picked up my edge! Id like to ask for something if i may. Ive had the edge for only a few days, tuxedo black!, and im so paranoid about the paint, windshield, grill etc. The bugs are already piling up! Im a complete newbie in this area, so i was wondering if i could get a quick list. Something reliable i can quick wipe with, a wheel protector (i didnt want the chrome finished 20s but i settled for them), and when i finally get a chance to spend a whole day the products i need to clean and protect the whole thing front to back. As i said im a total newbie and have no clue how to properly use this stuff. Normally i would just wash it everytime i went near a delta sonic. thanks in advance!

JAY

• Like 1

wow, what a great thread. Ive read so much since i picked up my edge! Id like to ask for something if i may. Ive had the edge for only a few days, tuxedo black!, and im so paranoid about the paint, windshield, grill etc. The bugs are already piling up! Im a complete newbie in this area, so i was wondering if i could get a quick list. Something reliable i can quick wipe with, a wheel protector (i didnt want the chrome finished 20s but i settled for them), and when i finally get a chance to spend a whole day the products i need to clean and protect the whole thing front to back. As i said im a total newbie and have no clue how to properly use this stuff. Normally i would just wash it everytime i went near a delta sonic. thanks in advance!

JAY

Jay, congrats on your ride. I have the same color on my MKX. As far as bugs go, get some Ultima Waterless Wash (Autoality.com carries it as do others. It comes in a 16 oz bottle that is so powerful, you use only 1/2 oz to 22 oz of water! Spray that on bugs, let it dwell for several minutes (it can't hurt the paint) and then wipe gently with a soft microfiber. My best suggestion for you for protection would be to register on Autogeek online or Live2Detail or DetailingBliss and see if there's a registered OptiGuard installer in your area. There is no better protection for the paint, other than a clear bra, and I don't like the look of those. You would have the OG applied to your paint, glass and wheels. Cleanup will be much easier. It's a permanent coating that is harder than the factory finish and cannot be taken off with chemcials like solvents, dish soap, etc. Here's a video I shot of a car I did A YEAR AGO with Opti Guard. See how the water sheets off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMLiLyOwm-k

Edited by richy

To remove streaks or water spots on the windshield and the rest of your exterior glass after washing your Edge, try the KD Cloth. Check out their web site www.kdcloth.com . I was a sceptic at first when a neighbour gave me one to try, but this cloth is unbelievable. No more streaky windows. Use it on the interior side of the windshield to get rid of the haze that builds up over time. It also works great on the MFT screen to get rid of fingerprints as well as cleaning the dash and chrome. You will not be disappointed with this cloth!

- I bought a pressure washer and did a thorough wash but now see hard water stains everywhere. I know my house has hard water. Is there something I can get to prevent this? I have an option on my pressure washer to allow chemical to be added into my pressure washer...

In addition to all of the other recommendations for your question, you can use the "Sheeting Method" for the final rinse phase of your wash. This method will leave less water on your panels after rinsing compared to spraying it down. See the vid below for an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeyTHyFbck

If its in your budget, you can also purchase a "quick detailer" product and lightly mist the exterior one section at a time as you dry it with a microfiber towel. This will greatly reduce or entirely eliminate hard water spots after washing. The great thing about this method is that it doesn't take much additional time to do, but makes your vehicle look so much better in the end.

Edited by EdgeZ06

My husband and I purchased a used 2010 Ford Edge Limited (dark ink blue) from a local Ford dealer 3 weeks ago. Great vehicle after coming from a 1999 Ford Explorer which was also wonderful. Anyway, after washing the vehicle and waxing it, I noticed quite a lot of what appears to be hard water stains on the paint just about everywhere. I read that distilled vinegar will take those off but am skeptical of that. Any ideas how to remove them? Also, what is the best product to protect the chrome clad (plastic) wheels, the grill and surrounding area around fog lights? Thank you!

Lisa

My husband and I purchased a used 2010 Ford Edge Limited (dark ink blue) from a local Ford dealer 3 weeks ago. Great vehicle after coming from a 1999 Ford Explorer which was also wonderful. Anyway, after washing the vehicle and waxing it, I noticed quite a lot of what appears to be hard water stains on the paint just about everywhere. I read that distilled vinegar will take those off but am skeptical of that. Any ideas how to remove them? Also, what is the best product to protect the chrome clad (plastic) wheels, the grill and surrounding area around fog lights? Thank you!

Hi Lisa,

Using vinegar to remove hard water spots may sound like a myth or home remedy, but its actually an effective method professionals use to remove them. Aside from polishing the car, these methods are the best in removing water spots, try it out and let us know if it worked:

1) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar

2) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol

You can mix and apply these mixtures using a generic spray bottle then wipe them off using a microfiber towel. If those methods do not work, the next step would be to puchase a clay bar kit(http://www.target.co...oz/-/A-13794542) which can be found at your local Target/Walmart.

You might get a few different answers in terms of protecting chrome because each detailer has their own opinions on that matter. In terms of protection, a wax or sealant will do. However, a lot of the over-the-counter waxes or sealants you can buy will make the chrome look cloudy or dull. In my opinion, I don't really use protectants on chrome because I prefer the chrome to look at its best instead of somewhat protected and cloudy. I just make sure to use a chrome polish once a year.

To remove streaks or water spots on the windshield and the rest of your exterior glass after washing your Edge, try the KD Cloth. Check out their web site www.kdcloth.com . I was a sceptic at first when a neighbour gave me one to try, but this cloth is unbelievable. No more streaky windows. Use it on the interior side of the windshield to get rid of the haze that builds up over time. It also works great on the MFT screen to get rid of fingerprints as well as cleaning the dash and chrome. You will not be disappointed with this cloth!

I bought one of these based on your recommendation. I've only used it once, but I love it. I did 1/2 my windshield and it had a bit of a haze on it and the haze was removed. I need to get a photo with the sun low in the sky and then I'll be doing a review on it at Live2Detail.