22" Wheels and locks

mleber

Can anyone confirm the dealer is supposed to supply wheel locks. I picked upmy Sport a week ago and just asked the salesman who said its the first he heard of it.

Thanks

I received the locking lugs with my 2011 Edge Sport from the dealer. I don't know if it is standard, but I believe that it is for the Sport wheel trim. When I test drove the car, the locking lugs were in the glove box along with the blister pack containing the Nav SD card.

-steve

I bought my Edge Sport back on 11 Oct. After reading a brochure on the Ford Accessories website, which states locking lugs are to be included, I contacted the dealership. I spoke with a salesman, Parts Dept guy, and Service guy...none of which had a clue what I was talking about. I still have not received any locking lugs. I really like the Gorilla ones discussed in this thread, so maybe it was a blessing they didn't give me any, otherwise I wouldn't be hear reading this and learning there was something better. Good thread! And thanks for the pics/info.

I will say that putting only the 1 lock on the tires and with that lock lug having a higher weight DOES present a small inbalance. The tires are so big and already have ALOT of weights on them from the factory. But they were balanced good before. I recently had alot of brand new blacktop put down in my area. The road is as perfect as you can get and only 3 weeks old at this time. So from driving the 5 miles of new road and the subsequent 140 miles each way, I felt a slight wobble.

This is something that I do not want to live with so I will be seeking a lock solution that has all lock nuts. This will give a consistent weight and best protection solution.

1 lock and 4 nuts will not create a unbalance that your going to ever feel. They are simply to close to the center of your wheel to matter.

1 lock and 4 nuts will not create a unbalance that your going to ever feel. They are simply to close to the center of your wheel to matter.

Please try it out for yourself. If you have a Sport, then go get your FREE locks and put them on. They look like crap on the nice wheels, in my opinion.

Then do some surfing and check out if people using that style of locks have had issues to open the lock once you need to. I have found many people complaining all over the internet that have stripped their lock's key. So, I suggest you keep a pipe wrench in your trunk, so that you can take the lock off if you ever have a flat (make sure you have some nice wide rubber bands too for grip).

Some people have had to touch weld a pipe to the lock after the key breaks.

Next concern is only having one lock with a pretty common key. Look up the price of the wheel then think if your $40-$50 investment is worth having good looking safe locks.

That is my thinking only. If you feel safe and dont mind the looks, then by all means, use the included locks and enjoy.

Hey, if anyone wants to buy my factory locks for $15 please write me.

Please try it out for yourself. If you have a Sport, then go get your FREE locks and put them on. They look like crap on the nice wheels, in my opinion.

Then do some surfing and check out if people using that style of locks have had issues to open the lock once you need to. I have found many people complaining all over the internet that have stripped their lock's key. So, I suggest you keep a pipe wrench in your trunk, so that you can take the lock off if you ever have a flat (make sure you have some nice wide rubber bands too for grip).

Some people have had to touch weld a pipe to the lock after the key breaks.

Next concern is only having one lock with a pretty common key. Look up the price of the wheel then think if your $40-$50 investment is worth having good looking safe locks.

That is my thinking only. If you feel safe and dont mind the looks, then by all means, use the included locks and enjoy.

Hey, if anyone wants to buy my factory locks for $15 please write me.

I didn't say anything wrong with the function of the lock, I was commenting that one lock and 4 std nuts will not create an unbalance that your going to notice, the extra weight is too close to the center of the wheel to matter.

I have a 2010 Edge sport that I purchased on the end of November 2009, I don't think you get free locks with the 10. If someone wants to steal my wheels I guess I'll have to claim it on my insurance, I hope they steal the one with the tiny scratches in it!

I didn't say anything wrong with the function of the lock, I was commenting that one lock and 4 std nuts will not create an unbalance that your going to notice, the extra weight is too close to the center of the wheel to matter.

I have a 2010 Edge sport that I purchased on the end of November 2009, I don't think you get free locks with the 10. If someone wants to steal my wheels I guess I'll have to claim it on my insurance, I hope they steal the one with the tiny scratches in it!

I hear ya. What kind of wheels are on the 2010 model, 20s?

None on mine but the dealer is ordering and is going install for free next week when they arrive without a hassle. Very appologetic too, nice dealership!

Apparently my salesman called 3 weeks ago to tell me he had them. Just got another call today and they are there waiting and DO COME WITH YOUR WHEELS.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, The Gorillas have arrived. I will install them later today and test drive quickly. I have taken some pictures of the box set.

FYI, I purchased them thru Amazon.com. That was the cheapest at the time. They seem to cost more again, everywhere. I paid $40.62 shipped.

I have checked each nut to make sure they all fit into the socket, before I start any install. They are all fine. I was upset to see, that they were all inside one ziploc type bag instead of some blister package. They just need to be rubbed down and polished then installed.

I have also taken some pictures of the difference between the three different types.

The standard lug nut from Ford. The Ford locking lug nut. The gorilla locking nut. The weights are 48g, 66g, 57g, respectively.

I just ordered the Gorilla set... ::fingers crossed:: I ordered the right ones (71683N)

Edited by Ridbidge

no where on my window sticker does it say WHEEL LOCKS though. so i bitched at my dealer and he said your problem is with ford, not waterloo, which i disagree, but whatever, if im going to replace the locks due to imbalancing anyway why bother getting them in the first place. theres better things worth fighting for like why it didnt come with 3m protection sheets on the vehicle.

Agree if you plan to replace them. I didn't notice a balance issue with ours but I have to admit the Gorillas look nicer. FYI for you or anyone else who didn't get theirs, in the 2011 Edge Order Guide, (10/1/10 edition), Page 9 under the Edge Sport Rapid Spec Standard Equipment it states: (below is a copy paste)

EXTERIOR

• 22" Polished Aluminum wheels with tuxedo black spoke

accents (includes locking lug nuts)

Again, just FYI for anyone that cares.

I have a new Limited and when we get past the snow and salt of winter.....i'm thinking of a set of 22" Sport Wheels and Tires. I'm thinking Ford Parts counter......has anyone bought or priced a set of 4 Sport Wheels/Tires? Can a Ford employee get a better deal than Joe Public?

I heard a price of $2940......but not sure if this is a confirmed number or just rumor or guess.

Thanks,

Rick

so i got some bad news. i forget what that photo was but a local tire shop ordered some 71683NBCs in for me and they werent long enough..

dont think they were the 71683's they looked like the small diameter ones, so i dont know what he ordered in. sadly the place isnt open again until jan 3rd. lame

Edited by _11680

so i got some bad news. i forget what that photo was but a local tire shop ordered some 71683NBCs in for me and they werent long enough..

dont think they were the 71683's they looked like the small diameter ones, so i dont know what he ordered in. sadly the place isnt open again until jan 3rd. lame

When you say they werent long enough, are you saying they are too short or are you talking about the 1/2 inch diameter is not right?

Here is a link to the manufacturers web page.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla.locks.page_25

Also check out the New System ones, that is the package.

Also I see you ordered the Black Chrome. Please take a picture, would love to see how the black looks on the black 22s.

• 4 weeks later...

so to be clear..what is the difference between the 71683N and 71683NBC?? is it just the color?..which one fits the 22s?

they are the same nuts. one is chrome and the other is black chrome. check out the pics above for the black chrome (very cool) and then pics on page 1 for reg. chrome.

they both fit

• 3 weeks later...