Whats everyones favorite Wax / Sealant and Car wash products?

I'm a big fan of Meguiar's products. :thumbsup: My initial cleaning and protection process after picking up my 2017 Edge Titanium was: Megs Gold Class Car Wash, Megs Smooth Surface Clay Kit, Stoner's Invisible Glass, Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax sealer coat, and Megs Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Quik Wax (Spray) top coat. I have Megs Gold Class Premium Quik Detailer that I use between washes. I did apply RainX to the windshield (which didn't last very long), and I did apply the Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax to the other windows and vista roof. For the interior, I used Megs Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on all leather surfaces, and the Megs Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner on all of the other interior surfaces, including the vinyl, plastics, electronics, center stack, gauge cluster, etc. I love that it doesn't leave a greasy feel and dries to a nice Matte finish. I use all Chemical Guys microfiber cloths. I bought 12 Blue (for washing) and 12 Gold (for drying), plus received others from Meguiar's as part of kits that I ordered. I will always wash and clean with Blue and will always dry with Gold. I do want to get a few large waffle weave drying towels as well as a few more dozen microfiber towels. I haven't tended to the wheels yet, but I have Megs Hot Rims All Wheel and Tire Cleaner, and Megs Endurance Tire Gel. I will likely add the Ultimate Liquid Wax to the wheels after I have them all cleaned up.

post-46148-0-35925500-1500909708_thumb.jpg

post-46148-0-19112300-1500909718_thumb.jpg

post-46148-0-51641600-1500909726_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I absolutely love the Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax. True to its name, it just melts into the paint like butter. And it lasts somewhat longer than a lot of the other (i.e. more expensive) waxes I've used over the years. When done right, and with a little elbow grease, I can spray the hose on the hood and all the water just falls right off and it's dry to the touch.

For wash soap, I avoid anything that has wax it. It messes up the black trim. No sense buying expensive stuff when it's all in how you wash it. Usually I make do with the cheap Simoniz/Turtle Wax stuff I pick up on sale at Canadian Tire. Meguiars makes a nice wax-free wash soap, Sonax does too, and so does Chemical Guys (Mr. Pink.) but their regular price is too much for me.

Tires I just use Spray 9 and whatever wash soap I have left in the bucket and scrub the hell out of them with a brush. Then I use the Chemical Guys Silk Shine on a microfibre cloth. I don't like the glossy/wet look on tires, and Silk Shine has a nice matte finish that usually lasts a pretty long time. I'm not normally a fan of those spray-on-and-leave tire cleaners/dressing, but that Black Magic stuff you see at Walmart is pretty good stuff to use if you just want a quick matte finish.

Interior I like the Mothers leather cleaner/protector. It seems to be the least-greasy of all the ones I've tried and is reasonably priced. It also seems to be the longest lasting as the leather will squeak as you sit down for a couple months after cleaning. Dash cleaner I like the Sonax brand. It has a nice matte finish and lasts a very long time before it starts to look dull again.

• Like 1

I use both Menguiar's and Chemical Guys products. Both excellent. No, make that outstanding products. I'll use Mothers as well.

If I could just add to the above two excellent postings, concerning the Weathertech floor mats.

When their new, they look oh so nice. Proud moment the first time you place your shoe on one. But, in a few weeks the look like they have been sitting at the entrance of the barn.

Here's how I restore them.

Start by hosing them off and then clean with Chemical Guys Nonsense Invisible Super Cleaner. It usually involves some scrubbing in the crevasses with a scrub brush. Then a good hosing again. Let them sit in the sun to completely dry. Usually takes two beers of waiting, but it's worth it. (I promise).

When they're dry, I spray on Chemical Guys Silk Shine Dressing. Let it sit and they look new again. Or thereabouts.

Good job, pat on the back and time for a beer as a reward

They are slightly slippery, not too bad, for a day or two. Nice thing is they're dry to the touch afterwards. Like the scent as well, it's "new car scent".

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have used Collinite 845 for years. 2 coats lasts through the northern Ohio winters and still beads up water. Do a good clay bar/cleaning first then the Collinite.....

Even with perfect prep 845 never lasts as long for me as Zaino Z2 Pro or Duragloss 111/601 combo. I've done the half and half test quite a few times on the hoods of various vehicles and always get the same results. I know a lot of people put 845 over a good synthetic sealant but I've never tried that. 845 has a cult like following on detail forums but it just hasn't been that great for me. Living in Michigan causes me to wash my vehicles a lot which could very well be the difference maker. Maybe pure sealants hold up to frequent car washes better then Collinite.

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 2

Collinite was not developed for the detailing industry but for the power industry, specifically for coating power lines. An "insulator wax" if you will. It just happens to be cheap and useful in detailing as well, which is kinda cool.

True. I first used Collinite in the 80's and over the years have tried alot of the new high tech waxes, polishes, sealers, etc. I want something that is easy to apply, gives a decent shine, and is durable for my cars which are daily drivers not show cars. Collinite fits the bill. If someone wants the ultimate shine there are any number of brands that will provide what they are looking for.

• Like 1

Even with perfect prep 845 never lasts as long for me as Zaino Z2 Pro or Duragloss 111/601 combo. I've done the half and half test quite a few times on the hoods of various vehicles and always get the same results. I know a lot of people put 845 over a good synthetic sealant but I've never tried that. 845 has a cult like following on detail forums but it just hasn't been that great for me. Living in Michigan causes me to wash my vehicles a lot which could very well be the difference maker. Maybe pure sealants hold up to frequent car washes better then Collinite.

Thats what I use to do to get the longevity of a synthetic sealant and the wet look of a carnauba. In hindsight, its probably a little over the top...

I am now running SONAX Polymer net (and no it doesnt last a full Edmonton winter) but I top-up every wash with Turtle Wax's Wax and Dry. The wax and dry has very low durability but because you use it with every wash it gives pretty good results. Combo I will be sticking with for now. Will probably switch to Wolfgang for this winter to see if I make it through.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

COLLINITE  image.png.6086186a49750750c65f0355af07c0d4.png    20$ can will last many CARS.. its only wax, no cleaner or polish.. came from the aircraft industry where UV is a big problem .. follow the instructions then use less  than recommended with a small damp sponge to apply and b4 dry towel off 2sq ft area max  .. do 2 coats first time then one coat every year . BELIEVE 

I dust off the car with a California Car Duster every Day weather permitting . Then use a spray detailer to get rid of any of those yellow spots or bird poop . I do not use the spray detailer over the entire car just on the spots that need touching up. This practice keeps the car looking good between washes. When the car gets dirty I hand wash then use a spray wax over the entire car to finish. I have used 3D, Meguiar's and Smart Wax spray wax. I use Smart Detail for the touch up.  I had the car sealed when I bought it with Cilajet...  https://www.cilajet.com  so it does not take that much to keep the paint looking shinny and feeling smooth. I get a second Ciliajet treatment inside and out including the wheels at 5 years from the dealership no charge. 

Edited by Xtra

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hoe_nah said:

Used cquartz.  Not sure I understand what you mean by why its outside?  Is it not supposed to be?  

coatings are supposed to be done inside for dust free curing, which cquartz is a 12-24hr cure time depending on temperature. If only coated with Cquartz and not topped with Gliss, you need to apply a SIO2 spray sealant to protect the coating. My Edge is also coated in Cquartz but topped with Gliss

• Like 1

I just bought Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance Auto Wax and will report back in a few weeks.

I work at a power plant, and in certain climate conditions and the emission control equipment not working as it should, my Edge gets acid rain which has etched the clear-coat.

I might look at getting the hood wrapped because the etching is the worst on it.

What's odd is my black Harley paint hasn't suffered the same.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1004ron said:

After viewing this video, I think I'll stick with more frequent waxing.

For the record, he is not talking OTC Ceramic, he is actually talking about top of the line (hence the exotics) ceramics and yes most need to be sanded off. The average person is not getting this ceramic, even when they opt for Professional grade stuff not available over the market. Ceramics come off with a simple compound or polish depending on the product. Marketing has ruined ceramic cause it has the population thinking its fire proff/scratch proof/never need to wash again/etc etc. Actually Ceramic is more high maintenance than normal. Have to use PH Neutral soaps so it maintains the hydrophobic properties and when the coating gets clogged you have to unclog it to get those properties back. Needless to say, as a weekend warrior detailer who does paint correction and coatings, my own cars will probably never see wax again. 

• Like 2

At least you are trying to take care of your ride!  Mine is lucky if it sees a regular ontime carwash (touchless of course).  Zep Citrus + Dawn 50/50 pretreat, car wash with full options (undercarriage, RainX or Simoniz, etc).  Followed by a MiFi patdown, and finally a coat or two of Meguiar's QuikWax.  Not much at all, LOL.

• Like 1