Sign in to follow this  
blumi

2011 Headlight lenses developed in Germany

Apparently, the headlight lenses of the 2011 Edge have been developed by a company in a small German town near from where I live:

Press release "Docter Optics"

Can someone explain what they mean with the "signlight function" they included in the design? DRLs?

Bastian

Apparently, the headlight lenses of the 2011 Edge have been developed by a company in a small German town near from where I live:

Can someone explain what they mean with the "signlight function" they included in the design? DRLs?

Bastian

Would that be the "EDGE" text in the lens?

post-9129-024344500 1288707212_thumb.jpg

Would that be the "EDGE" text in the lens?

I don't think so. It's about the spherical glass lens inside the headlamp housing.

Bastian

My guess, and its just that, is that signlight refers the the ability to illuminate overhead signs on the expressway.

European type projector style headlights have such a sharp cut-off line that the overhead signs may not be reflected as bright as to be easily read.

Bastian

Hi blumi. :D Check this Docter Optics link: LINK: Docter Optics - Signlight

Essentially, Kempie got it right concerning sign illumination and you got it right concerning lens optics.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi blumi. :D Check this Docter Optics link: LINK: Docter Optics - Signlight

Essentially, Kempie got it right concerning sign illumination and you got it right concerning lens optics.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

That is some cool stuff! I looked at my HIDs and it looked like there is a textured area at the bottom of the lens area. Would that be the signlight?

@kempie, bbf2530: Thanks for the information. I didn't think of this functionality.

@Wilson: According to the pictures in the linked PDF, a textured area is one method to achieve the signlight.