2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

My only issue, which admittedly is a very small one, is the blue night light. That is easily remedied if I lock the doors with the outside button on the door handle. Love the car otherwise. Not for this section, but I wish the back doors opened about 5 degrees more. It's hard to get the kids buckled in their car seats.

• Like 1

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=3096

"To all 2011 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX owners with the MyFord Touch sytem - There is a new software update (G2 V1.1) that is now available through Ford dealers. We are taking the opportunity to offer a software update to add enhancements and compatibility improvements as well as correcting functionality of several features.

As a planned, standard process of the SYNC and MyFord Touch development process, we continue to evolve and improve the software as we add the system to new products in our line-up, such as the Explorer and Focus. This new level of software is now being made available through this current update to existing MyFord/Lincoln Touch owners.

We strongly recommend that you first contact your local Ford dealership so that they can schedule an appointment for the MyFord Touch software update. Thank you,"

It would have been nice to have some details as to what specific things were added and fixed.

This just keeps getting better - My VIN now shows as invalid on the Sync site :sos: :

Please Check Your VIN

There is a problem with the VIN you provided. Please check your VIN and try again or contact us for assistance.

Validate your vehicle

Not only did they mess up the on board system but Now SYNC doesn't like me :cry:

Curlysir,

Not to worry! Mine had the same words until the day before I picked up the vehicle, then it just...poof, went away.

Day 2 for me with no problems. I spent 2 hours half way out of the garage reading the manual and setting everything up (and starting it periodically so I wouldn't freeze!)

I realized after all that time, I still hadn't even looked at the rest of the car! Very cool, especially the keyless entry and starting.

Akirby, I realize you are trying to keep the forum tidy, but where do I post my updates being that you closed my topic http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/6162-my-sync-touch-is-broken-it-has-a-black-screen/page__p__48762__fromsearch__1#entry48762 (unless you dont want me to update)

Thanks for the forum though, it gives some of us, frustrated customers, a place to vent. :rockon:

My only issue, which admittedly is a very small one, is the blue night light. That is easily remedied if I lock the doors with the outside button on the door handle. Love the car otherwise. Not for this section, but I wish the back doors opened about 5 degrees more. It's hard to get the kids buckled in their car seats.

I completely agree Richy. The doors on my G35 (and probably on your FX as well) opened up to 90 degrees. It made it extremely easy to get my daughter in and out.

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=3096

"To all 2011 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX owners with the MyFord Touch sytem - There is a new software update (G2 V1.1) that is now available through Ford dealers. We are taking the opportunity to offer a software update to add enhancements and compatibility improvements as well as correcting functionality of several features.

As a planned, standard process of the SYNC and MyFord Touch development process, we continue to evolve and improve the software as we add the system to new products in our line-up, such as the Explorer and Focus. This new level of software is now being made available through this current update to existing MyFord/Lincoln Touch owners.

We strongly recommend that you first contact your local Ford dealership so that they can schedule an appointment for the MyFord Touch software update. Thank you,"

It would have been nice to have some details as to what specific things were added and fixed.

Akirby, I realize you are trying to keep the forum tidy, but where do I post my updates being that you closed my topic http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/6162-my-sync-touch-is-broken-it-has-a-black-screen/page__p__48762__fromsearch__1#entry48762 (unless you dont want me to update)

Thanks for the forum though, it gives some of us, frustrated customers, a place to vent. :rockon:

You post your updates here of course. This way we have one topic to see who got updates, who didn't, what works and doesn't work, etc.

Curlysir,

Not to worry! Mine had the same words until the day before I picked up the vehicle, then it just...poof, went away.

Day 2 for me with no problems. I spent 2 hours half way out of the garage reading the manual and setting everything up (and starting it periodically so I wouldn't freeze!)

I realized after all that time, I still hadn't even looked at the rest of the car! Very cool, especially the keyless entry and starting.

But, I have had mine for about 6 weeks and was in the Sync system until they tried the update. I know it is related to the update but I thought it was semi humorous that not only did they mess up the Sync/MFT they also wiped out my VIN on the Sync site. Gotta have a sense of humor to make it through this.

And man is my system wiped. I would not recommend anybody to get this so called upgrade until Ford gets their S&*# together. The 8" screen is pretty much useless, The steering wheel controls do appear to work so I have limited climate control, the phone did sync but you can't answer, radio will semi work but doesn't want to shut off when you turn off the ignition and open the door, Of course no Nav system, Time is not correct and will not allow me to change, Temp is in C and can't change, backup camera dead. Basically anything to do with the touch screen doesn't work. The dealer is supposed to get with Ford Monday and figure out what to do. Sure glad I do have other vehicles to drive.

Edited by curlysir

My issues w/ myFord Touch in 3 weeks:

Sluggishness of system

Volume control unresponsive at times on steering wheel. Press once, goes up approx 6 notches. (3x per week) note: happens anytime from startup to car on for hour

Volume control on center console = less issues then above, but still periodically goes up approx 6 notches (1x per week) note: happens anytime from startup to car on for hour

Volume increments to big on my unit. Half-way should be normal/slightly louder than normal, not ear destroying. This is the worst when the above occurs with my 10 week old in the car.

Random (1-3x per week) performing schedule resets.

Re-indexing of ipod over and over when two ipods connected (sync my itunes used along with cleanup of all id tags, refreshed ipod software)

Re-indexing of USB thumb drive over and over again

SD card re-indexes periodically, but significantly less than both aforementioned issues

Album art for the same album is there sometimes, sometimes its not.

2 hard locks with screen freezes, result in a required pull of fuse 29

2 screen locks but still navigable via sync voice commands, result 1x worked fine upon engine cycling, 1x pull fuse 29

When phone attached, shows 1 less bar than on phone screen for both my EVO and wive's pixi

When I switched my phone from a Palm Pre to an EVO, syncing was not working right, result = master reset and all went well with a new sync.

My Pleasures w/ myFord Touch

Both HTC EVO and Palm Pixi have sync, downloaded phonebook, and work with aplomb.

Folks I call state sound quality is great!

Overall impressions and thoughts:

The items I though I would have problems with (phone syncing) have been a breeze.

Clearly having issues with getting music to play reliably, so far the best setup appears to be wives iPod with my music on SD card

Volume levels anger me. The volume adjustments need to be smaller at least on my unit.

Although issues are annoying, especially on a big purchase such as ours, overall satisfaction level from 1 to 10, 10 being best... I rate it at a 6 (just above "meh") Rating would go up 2 for better media handling, and 2 more for better speed.

Ok so I had the Sync update which took 2 days. Thankfully had a loaner. I am left with a few minor repercussions if you will since updating. I am having issues with my remote engine start, before the update it worked perfectly. Now it is hit and miss. Most times it takes me 3 tries to get it started and just before it was more like 5 attempts. The ambient lighting has a few colors screwed up. When I click on green I may get blue. Only other thing is the radio turns off and I think it may be when I am remotely starting. I have very little faith that these problems can get resolved easily. I will wait till about next Wednesday so I can document just what is happening. I can live with this for a short time but really need the remote start more than ever now

I'll keep you updated

Ok so I had the Sync update which took 2 days. Thankfully had a loaner. I am left with a few minor repercussions if you will since updating. I am having issues with my remote engine start, before the update it worked perfectly. Now it is hit and miss. Most times it takes me 3 tries to get it started and just before it was more like 5 attempts. The ambient lighting has a few colors screwed up. When I click on green I may get blue. Only other thing is the radio turns off and I think it may be when I am remotely starting. I have very little faith that these problems can get resolved easily. I will wait till about next Wednesday so I can document just what is happening. I can live with this for a short time but really need the remote start more than ever now

I'll keep you updated

I have the same color issue with the Ambient Lighting. not sure if i am on the new update, but my car was worked on with ford because my whole system went dead 4 days after i got the car. They replaced some hardware, and it has been much better. I have noticed a couple things.

1. Ambient Lighting colors mixed up

2. Bluetooth audio worked for 3 days, now just disconnects when I try to use it

3. USB Memory Stick plays, but there is no audio. Timer goes, but nothing on the speakers.. even if I turn it up all the way.

Regarding the Remote start I'm not sure what the manual states, but I found that if I hit the lock button twice so the car beeps, then hit the remote start twice right after that, the car starts 95% of the time.

I need to get the time to get into the dealer. I'm debating whether to go to the dealer that i bought the car from(about 30 mins away) or the closer ford dealer where i got my wife's Fusion (about 5 mins away) but they do not offer a loaner, where the dealer I bought my car from does.... i feel just as inconvenienced either way...

Besides the 3 issues listed, I do love the car.

On a side note, I found out that proclipusa.com will be putting out a mount for the 2011 ford edge's next week, so I can finally get the mount for my phone to keep it out of the cup holder.

After waiting for a fix for 17 days because the system crashed...it still doesnt work. Back up camera not working but sensors are, climate control operational but heated seats are not on the touch screen and cannot be turned on, turn by turn and sync services still not operational. The update is less than satisfactory. Very disappointing.

Just a quick update from the original topic http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/6162-my-sync-touch-is-broken-it-has-a-black-screen/page__p__48762__fromsearch__1

Day 4 and 5 were the weekend, day 6 is Monday, the sync site was finally up, :hyper: but the dealer site kept on going in and out. Thats what I was told. :censored:

Day 7, the service tech has a note(accordingly to the service manager) it states that he needs to talk to Ford product support ( I have no clue on this one) :banghead::finger:

Edited by Macomb

After waiting for a fix for 17 days because the system crashed...it still doesnt work. Back up camera not working but sensors are, climate control operational but heated seats are not on the touch screen and cannot be turned on, turn by turn and sync services still not operational. The update is less than satisfactory. Very disappointing.

What I think made the difference for me was that they replaced the APIM Module. that made my system more stable. The software side of things though, I think they are getting closer, but I don't think that should be considered a finished product by ford. they obviously rushed to get this out.

First post...

I got the update(s) done over the last two days. Everything I could think of testing at the dealer seemed to work fine, though I'll do a full system check this weekend. I had only one previous incident of system fully off in the the last two weeks of ownership. We drove to the dealer when it happened and it just came back to life while the salesmen fiddled with it (randomly pushing steering wheel controls when the reload screen magically appeared, even though I had surely pushed all buttons in the car while I was trouble shooting). Thus far, all is good, but I probably just hexed it.

I think I've read this forum from front to end since receiving the Sport; thanks for all of your diligence in describing issus/recommendations.

As far as the Synch issue goes, it can only go up from here!

Edited by workmeistr

My 2011 Edge Limited is at the dealer going on the second day. They were able to update, however, Nav, Heated seats, rear camera are not functional. At this point, I have no confidence that they will be able to get everything working. I really wish that I had known about Sync's problems before I purchased the Edge...I would have passed.

^ That's exactly why I am not even bothering to contact my dealership about the TSB until sometime in the New Year. I have no care to have my Edge at the dealership for a few days while they try to figure everything out. I'll let them get more acquainted with the update before I bring it in to them.

FINALLY! An actual update! My dealer actually called me today and told me that my vehicle was READY! I went to pick it up - they told me they updated the software and the delay was Ford being able to provide the update to them...anyway, MFT/Sync has been updated, and my initial observations are positive.

My Iphone 4 synced right up without a problem, voice calls were made and received. -- I have not tested Pandora.

Climate Controls are fully operational.

Ambient light is off by one color.

Radio controls are fully operational.

Backup camera fully operational.

White nightlight screen is no more.

MFT/Sync seems much more responsive from when I dropped it of 17 days ago.

I will provide further updates as I continue to test.

Hang tight folks, it's getting better.

Did I mention how much I missed My Edge...the Fusion was nice, but The Edge is clearly a cut above.

Brian

• Like 1