2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

I took mine 2011 Edge in today because the sync web site said I had an update pending. The site says I have BT4T-14D545-BA but BT4T-14D544-BD is the version I should update to. I got a call after dropping it off telling me that I didn't need an update because I have the latest version. I questioned this and asked if I could talk with the tech. I went in the shop and they ran the update software for me to see. To my surprise, it returned with a different version than the Sync Status checker does. Pretty hard to argue with the tech when there is no version indication on the screen of the MFT and it clearly said the version was BT4T-14D544-BD on their computer screen connected to my Edge.

I checked again when I got home and it still says I have an old version and need the update. Seems there may be an issue with one of the two since they don't match. My MFT issues are relatively minor compared to others so I didn't put up a stink.

Anyone else have this happen or have issues with the sync status checker?

just guessing, but what may have happened is that when your "latest" version was loaded, they did not pass the successful update back to syncmyride site. If you have done an update from Sync there are 3 steps, download the update to thumb drive, load update in car, then come back to sync sight with USB plugged into computer and acknowledge the update was successful, I think when you click the update status button , the usb drive you used passes the status back to sync.

Just had the "update" installed last week. System seems the same as before. My problem has been complete system hang and blamk screen that is resolved by the popular "fuse 29 pull". Tech did not show a lot of confidence when asked how the update went.

I just ran the utility to verify what is installed and reported it back to syncmyride.com. The site tells me I need the new update. Question in my mind - is the status utility wrong or did the tech not do the update???

Due for first oil change in 2K miles. Will ask more probing questions then.

just guessing, but what may have happened is that when your "latest" version was loaded, they did not pass the successful update back to syncmyride site. If you have done an update from Sync there are 3 steps, download the update to thumb drive, load update in car, then come back to sync sight with USB plugged into computer and acknowledge the update was successful, I think when you click the update status button , the usb drive you used passes the status back to sync.

I did all those steps before and did them again today when I got the Edge back. Without knowing the software they use, I don't know enough to walk in and argue with them. Is there a ford support number besides a dealer?

I did all those steps before and did them again today when I got the Edge back. Without knowing the software they use, I don't know enough to walk in and argue with them. Is there a ford support number besides a dealer?

If you are registered at www.syncmyride.com, go to this link

It will show you when and what version has been installed.

Also, if you don't have the latest software installed, the website will tell you that you need an update.

• Like 1

Borrow your iPhone?!?! What the...?

After reading the TSB, it's clear that the tech needs to be some what tech savy. I may request that I assist with the update.

Yea, that TSB scares me! I laughed when I read they may even have to update windows drivers, not to mention a software update that requires a battery charger! :hysterical: No wonder why the first few updates are taking dealers hours/days. Many of them have to update their own systems prior to updating the MFT.

I'd love to get my hands on the other "required" reading materials, actually I'd prefer to get my hands on all of the required software and do it myself...well, I guess I'd still need the "required" reading materials then. :doh:

Took my 2011 Edge into the dealership on Monday. The Bluetooth functionality quit working all of the sudden on both mine and my wife's Iphones (3G and 3Gs models). It would not pair them after working fine for a few weeks, then all the sudden about a week ago it would not connect to either of them. We tried deleting the profiles on both our phones and the car, and re-pairing them, but Sync's bluetooth kept turning off and would not stay on. We would turn it on, then it would flash the pairing code for like 1 second then say "Pairing Failed" and then bluetooth would turn off again. This process would repeat every time, no matter what we did. I did the master reset, but it did not help. I finally pulled fuse 29 to reboot it, but it never rebooted and was dead. So now the dealership has it.

Day 1 at the dealership: My service advisor said she had not seen very many problems with the Sync systems. She later told me they did have one other vehicle with a problem, and it took several days to resolve it, and mine was the second one, so she hoped it would go smoother. The service tech did not start working on my car until late in the afternoon and aborted the upgrade process because it took too long and could not be completed before they closed for the day.

Day 2 at the dealership: They started the upgrade process, but it was going very slowly I was told. Late that afternoon, I was told they were going to replace the APIM module, which apparently fixed the problem with other vehicle they had in for Sync problems. I was given a rental car to use while they had my vehicle.

Day 3 at the dealership: They were told by Ford they could not order the replacement APIM Module until they completed certain tasks, so they were going to do that the following day.

Day 4 at the dealership: Still waiting for an update to see what the deal is.....

I feel like the grease monkey's who work as service techs are in over their heads with these new vehicles. If car manufacturers are going to continue increase the amount of tech in these new models they roll out every year, they need to seriously consider the education and skill sets of the techs they have working on them at their dealerships. The techs who can change the brake pads, oil, and rotate tires are not qualified or trained properly work on these high tech infotainment systems. It seems to me that dealerships are going to need to start hiring college grads to work as techs, otherwise they are setting themselves up for failure here.

If you are registered at www.syncmyride.com, go to this link

It will show you when and what version has been installed.

Also, if you don't have the latest software installed, the website will tell you that you need an update.

Yes I am, and I uploaded a fresh version check once I returned. Based on the issues I have being minor, I think I may just wait a month for my oil change considering I am pretty certain my dealer hasn't updated MFT on any other Edge's yet. I don't want to be the first.

Replacing the module?

...I wonder if they "bricked" the modules because they are not following the procedure to update

Beats me, any idea what the APIM module is and what it's function is? I'm guessing it's the expensive computer module that has a solid state drive or memory module with all the Microsoft software and processor that controls the MFT system?

***Update****

Found this on another forum:

'09 SYNC phone / USB malfunction and solution...

This may be helpful in case anyone else experiences their SYNC module going brain dead.

Saturday afternoon while running errands I went to play some music, which I usually play from a thumb drive with MP3s, and when I pressed "media" on the nav radio, I got FM radio instead. Some more futzing and no-go on the media functions, good and hosed. Shortly after I was going to make a call with the SYNC speakerphone, and once again found no-go. No phone connected, wouldn't connect, no phonebook and trying to go into "advanced settings" got me a screen with blank fields. I gave up fiddling and got on with my errands.

Sunday more fiddling, "factory reset" from the regular radio menu had no effect (didn't expect one), and the "factory reset" for the SYNC module is in the phone "advanced settings" screen which was blank, so no factory reset possibility there.

I looked in both the SYNC guide as well as the service manual CD and didn't find a whole lot of useful information beyond confirming that both thse problem functions resided in the SYNC "APIM" (Accesory Protocol Interface Module) module, and it's location behind and to the right of the glove box next to the IFS (Inertia Fuel Shutoff).

At any rate, you drop the glove box door open fully by pressing in the little stop bumper on the right side, pull out and slightly up to remove the trim panel to the right with the air vent, then pull the trim cover with the IFS access port off in order to get some access to the APIM module.

The APIM module is a black rectangle, with one larger black harness connector with a gray latch arm, and one small black connector which is the USB connection. There is a second USB port that is not connected.

It's a bit awkward since the connectors face back towards the front of the truck, but you press back on the big connector just above the gray latch tab and swing the gray latch tab up and around to disconnect the connector.

I left the module disconnected for a few minutes while I went in to get a soda, then returned and reconnected it. After reconnecting, the APIM module began behaving normally, and it didn't loose any settings either. The phones that were paired with it were still there, along with the phonebook entries.

Basically, after a year and a half of continuous operation, the SYNC module needed a hard reboot.

Disconnecting the module isn't as difficult as it sounds, once you've done it once. It's just a bit difficult to describe. If you find yourself with a similarly brain dead SYNC module, this might save you a trip to the dealer, and if out of warranty, $$$.

Edited by bcash

Beats me, any idea what the APIM module is and what it's function is? I'm guessing it's the expensive computer module that has a solid state drive or memory module with all the Microsoft software and processor that controls the MFT system?

***Update****

Found this on another forum:

'09 SYNC phone / USB malfunction and solution...

This may be helpful in case anyone else experiences their SYNC module going brain dead.

This is for a 2009...is the module in the same spot in the 2011?

Finally, here is some good news to share based upon my experience after the Sync Upgrade today. I am in Canada and the dealer applied the SYNC Gen 2 update BT4T-14D544-BD. It took about 2 hours including testing. They had downloaded the update previously and had it on a USB stick according to the service rep.

I have had this 2011 Edge Limited AWD for about two months and have driven about 5,000 kms. The Sync had rebooted itself 2 times and I had pulled the #29 fuse another 5 times or so over this period. I had found that the main reason for a system freeze or reboot was related to multiple phones or iPod connections. When I was just connecting Bluetooth to my Blackberry 9700, there would be no issues and all ran fine for several weeks after I discovered the iPod issue was causing the problems. However, at Christmas, family members who received new iPod's and an iPhone 4(all running latest OS 4.2) wanted to use them in the Edge understandably. Same issues resulted with fuse pulls and reboots.

After reading many posts of other frustrated MyFordTouch owners, especially those who lost their vehicles for weeks or had more issues after the upgrade, I was quite concerned about the upgrade. However, the service rep told me they had completed several successful installs. So I took the risk hoping that I can also get some new functionality that had not worked yet for me or most others such as Mobile Internet and simultaneous Bluetooth pairing. I am a fairly technical user and have tried every function of the system including many attempts at the internet connectivity via all means and types of phones/USB connections available to me.

MyFordTouch system version after update: CCPU SW Ver 4.22.10308_PRODUCT. Although, I am not sure if this changed as a result of the update.

Fortunately, none of the issues others had posted were repeated in my case. Everything works the same or better and a couple of items now work for the first time after the update.

Improvements after the upgrade:

- successfully pair with iPhone 4, iPods(3G and 4G) and Blackberry 9700 simultaneously

- could use either BB or iPhone on Bluetooth connection to BT Stereo audio by switching between units in BT settings

- could use either BB or iPhone on Bluetooth connection for phone by switching favourite phone

- could have either BB or iPhone as system phone while using other for BT Stereo audio

- iPods(3G and 4G) did not crash system. Although, song and artist titles still do not appear. Just the device name(same with iPhone BT audio).

New functionality after the upgrade:

- Mobile Internet!!! Yes, it really does work.

- while I am still unsure what Ford intends to do with a wi-fi connection to my home network, there is great benefit to having internet connectivity while on the road.

- there was only one post on the forums that I read that indicated someone was successful. However, they included no details and I know others were looking for help.

- also, it makes no sense to me that a user would have to buy a USB stick just to use with their MyFordTouch when Blackberry's, iPhones and lots of other phones support internet tethering via USB or better yet, Bluetooth. However, this is what the manuals and marketing tell you to do. Fortunately, there is a better way!!!

- I will briefly describe the process to get this operational and I trust that Ford will publish a much more detailed set up process than what is available in the manual or on the SyncMyRide website.

- also, Ford should regularly post the list of tested/approved(or at least capable) phones/USB devices that support this capability.

- first of all, to be sure that I really was connecting to the internet over the cell network and all devices in the Edge were connecting only to the Edge wi-fi and not the house wi-fi, I drove to a secluded spot to ensure a controlled test. One might also assume that driving down the highway would yield the same result. Although, I am sure Ford was smart enough(I hope) to shut down the set up process if the vehicle was in motion. I was alone so I could not try to do this while driving.

- just a note, I could have chosen the Sync wi-fi network vs the house but still, I wanted to be free of other network noise. Will try it in driveway later.

- second, I had to have a phone that would support PAN networking with Internet Tethering. The BB 9700 does not have this capability. However, my partner's shiny new iPhone 4 certainly does support that via Bluetooth or USB. So, having all the required hardware, I was able to move ahead past MFT menu options that were previously blank or showed "no suitable device detected".

- third, ensuring that the iPhone was in "Internet Tethering" mode, 3G was enabled, data was enabled and Bluetooth was connected to MFT, I entered the Wi-Fi configuration screens and configured as follows:

- Turn on Wi-Fi, choose Bluetooth Internet Data Connection, PAN networking connection must be chosen, Client must be chosen, Internet Gateway must be enabled and configured with desired security(I used WPA2 which worked fine).

- finally, the rest was typical wi-fi hotspot connection requirements for devices to connect to the MFT. From the device(I tried a ThinkPad, 2 different iPods, my Blackberry 9700 and an Apple MacBook Pro). All worked fine. Just like connecting to any protected wi-fi zone. Need to enter the security key configured on the MFT by default or as entered manually. Security method is optional(WEP, WPA, WPA2) on the MFT.

- I did an internet speed check and it was certainly not that fast. After several checks, the max download speed averaged around 320 kbps and upload just slightly less. These are not 3G speeds so I am not sure if that is a MFT issue or Sync or maybe the iPhone. I was definitely at high strength and in a 3G zone, so I hope that can be rectified. I will do more tests in other places and see if I get varied and hopefully better results.

- interesting to note, not sure if this is as designed or just a fluke but if I switch from the iPhone to the Blackberry 9700 as Favourite phone, the internet connection does not get dropped. Therefore, conceivably, one could be talking on Blackberry via Sync connection and another person in vehicle surfing the net via the iPhone. More tests needed here.

Existing issues:

- receiving text message on iPhone with Notification as Text to Speech caused the system to lock up and reboot. Successive attempts also failed. the iPhone 4 is supposed to support this feature so I am not sure why it crashed the MFT. I will try again another day. Would be interested to hear if others are successful.

- text display options under Media options remains blank. Same as before. I have no idea what this function is intended to do

- phone device information under Bluetooth settings is not refreshed when phone is changed(unless vehicle is restarted)

New Update Available:

- interestingly, I just checked the SyncMyRide site and the following new update is available for user installation

BT4T-14D544-BE

Version SYNC GEN 2

BT4T-14D544-BE

BT4T-14D544-BE

- maybe I will try that next week after I review some other posts related to that one.

I feel that I have benefitted from being a late adopter on the Sync Gen 2 upgrade.

Best of luck to others on this Sync Gen 2 update. I hope your results will be as surprisingly positive as mine.

Existing issues:

- receiving text message on iPhone with Notification as Text to Speech caused the system to lock up and reboot. Successive attempts also failed. the iPhone 4 is supposed to support this feature so I am not sure why it crashed the MFT. I will try again another day. Would be interested to hear if others are successful.

Are you saying that Sync attempts to read iPhone SMS now?

• Like 1

Are you saying that Sync attempts to read iPhone SMS now?

Just updated my Sync. Tried text to speech with my iPhone 4 but couldn't get it or the text "alert tone" feature to work. Will try again after I restart the car. It gives you a choice of 3 alerts when a text comes in

This was a fairly large update which said may take 20 minutes to complete. The sync turned off for what seemed quite a while before rebooting and then turned off once more. Can someone tell me just what was updated??

post-1555-050855500 1294150593_thumb.jpg

post-1555-035472200 1294150601_thumb.jpg

Yes, it seemed to attempt it. I was playing the BT Audio at the time and it interrupted the audio briefly a couple of times but then crashed. So, I think it is trying but I will perform further controlled tests.

Tom and _11088 thanks very much for your posts (especially _11088 for the really detailed one!). _11088 can you tell me where you are and what dealer did the update for you - I'm outside Mississauga and the dealers around here "haven't got the special cable Ford is sending"...

Tom, do you still have the service pack files prior to the install - can you share them with me somehow so I can have a look at what its updating (dropbox then PM me the link) - I might be able to tell others what this update does if I can see them? Tom, can you also stick the Edge into diagnostic mode (go into Radio - FM, then hold eject on the CD player and hold the seek right button on the volume wheel on the dash >>). From that screen you'll find version numbers - I think its the first section APIM > Software Versions and then take a photo of that screen. There is nothing on that screen that would identify your vehicle fyi but there are things deeper in there so don't put photos of everything up!

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

stick the Edge into diagnostic mode (go into Radio - FM, then hold eject on the CD player and hold the seek right button on the volume wheel on the dash >>

At least one problem with these steps. The 11 Edge has no CD player

Update:

I was wrong. I saw the cd player after I pulled my head out of my a$$

Edited by wilsons66604
  • Like 1

Tom and _11088 thanks very much for your posts (especially _11088 for the really detailed one!). _11088 can you tell me where you are and what dealer did the update for you - I'm outside Mississauga and the dealers around here "haven't got the special cable Ford is sending"...

Tom, do you still have the service pack files prior to the install - can you share them with me somehow so I can have a look at what its updating (dropbox then PM me the link) - I might be able to tell others what this update does if I can see them? Tom, can you also stick the Edge into diagnostic mode (go into Radio - FM, then hold eject on the CD player and hold the seek right button on the volume wheel on the dash >>). From that screen you'll find version numbers - I think its the first section APIM > Software Versions and then take a photo of that screen. There is nothing on that screen that would identify your vehicle fyi but there are things deeper in there so don't put photos of everything up!

Thanks guys!

I will give it a try tomorrow. I think this update does provide additional menus and I believe I was checking the system versions on a drop down menu this afternoon. I find you can now add to your favorite destinations on your nav with a simple drop down menu.

I'll try to send the software update file if possible

Thanks guys!

I attached the sync update files that I got today (snapshot as I wasn't permitted to upload them)

PM me with an email address and I'll send them

post-1555-095975300 1294192070_thumb.jpg

Edited by tpm419419

I will give it a try tomorrow. I think this update does provide additional menus and I believe I was checking the system versions on a drop down menu this afternoon. I find you can now add to your favorite destinations on your nav with a simple drop down menu.

I'll try to send the software update file if possible

Thanks Tom. I should be able to see whats in the package (specifically if its something updating nav/sirius or just sync/touch generally) and that should help us figure out what each does. I would so love to get my hands on that 3GB file that Ford dealers have - with that I am 100% sure I could actually modify Touch and add some stuff (certainly from the UI perspective).